• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: sony in talks to acquire take-two interactive

Kanton

If true (its not) its fantastic news for the imbecile fanboys, terrible news for the enthusiasts with half a brain.

thelastword

Banned
This is the type of move you call an Xbox-killer. For me Xbox is already dead but if you're telling consumers they have to pick between a console that doesn't have Rockstar games and a console that does, I'd bet that's a deal breaker for a lot of people.
Everybody seems to forget that GTA as we know it started as a PS exclusive...Rockstar/2K and Sony has had a good relationship, they even had deals that have not been fulfilled yet.....(AGENT)...Yeah, I'd say there's a lot they can talk about at a table....

Do it sony, cause I wanna see the world ( forums, reddit etc. ) burn. xDDDDDD
Ha ha.....I thought there were some people saying buying studios is what is going to make MS dominate next gen...Sony is just sitting on it's laurels not making any moves et al....I'd guess they should be thrilled if this happens, so perhaps they would be reassured?......Ha, who I'm I kidding?

lol must be a slow news day, there is no way this is true.
It may not be true, but suppose it is......Nothing is impossible........

Well at least rockstars development schedule and output would line up
With how Sony do things...they could announce a game at this years e3 and keep showing it off for the next 4 years and then after it’s released a paid remaster appears a year or 2 later.

But realistically I don’t see it happening

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
Depending on how you categorizes cash on hand Sony has $13-25b at the end of the last quarter, you'll have to go thru the financials and convert though. They probably have enough cash for say a $5-8b cash acquisition and the rest stock. (Not saying I would do this, but yes, in theory even at a premium they can probably come up with the cash) Personally, it seems like you would want TTwo to fall further, they'll probably have a big gap in revenue coming up for TTwo as RDR2 sales naturally go down.

Not sure why they need more to be honest, but From Software (fairly small) and BluePoint (real small) seem like smaller fish which are a better fit.

1. From Software (200-300 people)
2. Insominac (200+ people)
3. BluePoint (100+ people now)

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Well at least rockstars development schedule and output would line up
With how Sony do things...they could announce a game at this years e3 and keep showing it off for the next 4 years and then after it’s released a paid remaster appears a year or 2 later.

But realistically I don’t see it happening
How Sony output releases steadily years after year doing what you believe they do is magical lol

Dokku

I'd rather it go to Sony over Microsoft as I don't want gta6 to be a live service with a 60 metacritic rating.

Depending on how you categorizes cash on hand Sony has $13-25b at the end of the last quarter, you'll have to go thru the financials and convert though. They probably have enough cash for say a $5-8b cash acquisition and the rest stock. (Not saying I would do this, but yes, in theory even at a premium they can probably come up with the cash) Personally, it seems like you would want TTwo to fall further, they'll probably have a big gap in revenue coming up for TTwo as RDR2 sales naturally go down.

Not sure why they need more to be honest, but From Software (fairly small) and BluePoint (real small) seem like smaller fish which are a better fit.

they should acquire those over take two imo.

Airbus Jr

Banned
About as real as Microsoft buying EA rumours last year

GTAV sold like how many? 100 mill copies by now?

Theyl leave too much money on the table if they only commit on one platform

Doesnt make any sense for any financial reason/business perspective

ethomaz

Banned

How many of these 100m were in PlayStation?

DanielsM

Banned

They could keep GTA PC and PS4, go all exclusive for PS4 with everything else and maybe special content for PS4, in theory. If they gain or push 15-30m more console sales, thats $5-7b in hardware, and say you have a 25% PS Plus rate, you're talking $200-500m a year plus there, plus any other games or services sold. In theory, you would just be pushing out Xbox sales out the mix - keep GTA PC and PS4, PS4 exclusive for everything else.

I think the difference between this and EA, is EA is just a licensee for all the sports stuff, that can't really happen as in this case even if Sony lost to the Xbox customer, they can gain some on their end.... sports license holders aren't going to like that in the case of EA, someone has got to pay.

Last edited:
Assuming you're not talking $130, you're speaking $130 billion which Sony doesn't have as a whole without going bankrupt.

$130 Billion. LMAO. Remove a zero buddy. And get off the weed.

Anyways buying Rockstar is a power move that isn’t happening. Sony is GTA’s biggest market for sure. Plus Sony does have mobile, PS NOW, and the PS4. Sony can easily have a GTA on PC thur PS Now. They would just be letting go of XBOX. I don’t see how that’s such a big hit when you would be getting way more market share.

ethomaz

Banned
Also they would get to keep a nicer chunk of the revenue compared to before, not just the licensing fee.
Yeap... they won’t have the publisher and store cut.

I’m thinking that just the PS sales of the game will made more profit than all platforms having to pay 30% to stores plus the Publisher parts.

I believe over 60% of GTA sales are PS.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
$130 Billion. LMAO. Remove a zero buddy. And get off the weed.

Anyways buying Rockstar is a power move that isn’t happening. Sony is GTA’s biggest market for sure. Plus Sony does have mobile, PS NOW, and the PS4. Sony can easily have a GTA on PC thur PS Now. They would just be letting go of XBOX. I don’t see how that’s such a big hit when you would be getting way more market share.

Its $130 per share, or the rumor is, not $130b, more like $13b.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This is not happening, Sony has no money. If this was Microsoft though I could believe it.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Dthomp

To be fair, I understand that fans love From something fierce, does losing them put a dent into the Microsoft users minds? Remember Sunset Overdrive? Neither does Microsoft. These studios will gladly follow Sony without being bought by them. TT however both gives them all those franchises, but possibly just as important puts them in the position of selling those titles to Microsoft and Google, or even keeping them off of them and guaranteeing system sales for them next gen again.

DanielsM

Banned
To be fair, I understand that fans love From something fierce, does losing them put a dent into the Microsoft users minds? Remember Sunset Overdrive? Neither does Microsoft. These studios will gladly follow Sony without being bought by them. TT however both gives them all those franchises, but possibly just as important puts them in the position of selling those titles to Microsoft and Google, or even keeping them off of them and guaranteeing system sales for them next gen again.

It just seems like a good fit to me, they can than have them work on the things that would fit best with Sony, but yeah, you do have a point that can't necessarily disagree with.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
EA prob worth 2x take two. if not 2.5x

Sony doesnt have to buy Take Two to make GTA VI become PS5 exclusive they just need Rockstar partnership

Just like how MGS4, Resistance and Bloodborne become PS3 and PS4 exclusive despite Sony doesnt owned Konami, Insomniac or From Software

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Sony doesnt have to buy Take Two to make GTA VI become PS5 exclusive they just need Rockstar partnership

Just like how MGS4, Resistance and Bloodborne become PS3 and PS4 exclusive despite Sony doesnt owned Konami, Insomniac or From Software
Resistance and Bloodborne are first-party games.

MGSIV is the partnership you are thinking about.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Crest new ip, not poach existing lineup. There are no winners in such a thing, only losers. Sony let a few fly through their fingers this gen, personally I see it as poor strategy.

Well, they do have money but they don't have enough to buy Take Two without bankrupting their company. Google, Amazon or Microsoft could buy Take Two no sweat. Nintendo and Sony, nah lol.
Well, they do have money but they don't have enough to buy Take Two without bankrupting their company. Google, Amazon or Microsoft could buy Take Two no sweat. Nintendo and Sony, nah lol.

they will just give them stocks and cover the rest with cash its not 100% cash. sony has 60 billion worth in stock value.

Petrae

Most likely not happening, but fun to think about if it did. GTA going exclusively back to PlayStation platforms would effectively end any console wars, and that’s before TTWO’s other IPs followed suit. GTA helped lead Sony to a juggernaut-like dominance in Gen6, which never changed after TTWO was finally convinced late in the generation to float Xbox versions.

The NBA could balk at such a move, given the success of the 2K games bearing its license across many platforms and that there isn’t a serious alternative out there now.

As I’ll be nothing but an observer once this generation ends, I selfishly and devilishly admit that a move like this would be great merely for the drama and uproar it would cause... but I put the realistic probability at <= 5%.

ethomaz

Banned
Resistance and Bloodborne still made by third party publisher by mutual agreement
They first-party and so there is no exclusivity deal or contract... Sony owns these games.

It is more like Sony contracting a developer to develop their own game.

The partnership is different... the publisher (Sony) and developer sign a contract where both works together to a game from the developer be developed exclusively for the publisher platform... MGSIV is a good example, Konami owns the IP that is so true that others games released on Xbox or PC but that game is exclusive to PS3 due the partnership.

Unless Sony wants there is 0 chance to Bloodborne or Resistance be in another platform than PlayStation.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
They first-party and so there is no exclusivity deal or contract... Sony owns these games.

It is more like Sony contracting a developer to develop their own game.

The partnership is different... the publisher (Sony) and developer sign a contract where both works together to a game from the developer be developed exclusively for the publisher platform... MGSIV is a good example, Konami owns the IP that is so true that others games released on Xbox or PC but that game is exclusive to PS3 due the partnership.

Unless Sony wants there is 0 chance to Bloodborne or Resistance be in another platform than PlayStation.

another examples is Spiderman

despite sony doesnt owned Insomniac that game is ps4 exclusives

Is the main argument against this happening: "Sony haz no moneys"? I'm sure there is enough fuzzy math on Sony's books to allow this to happen.

Fluzer

Banned
Microsoft has more money yet was outbid by Nvidia, thats what.

Yes and that's for a measely datacenter? It just means Microsoft didn't want it enough. Now a publisher with the pedigree of Take Two, Microsoft would absolutely pay whatever it takes to keep that out of Sony's hands. That's assuming Sony could even afford them.

Fluzer

Banned
lol at people that believes Sony can’t afford it.

Sony buying Take Two would be a death sentence for the entire company, the non-gaming departments of Sony would not allow it actually.

This rumor more likely than not, has been stirred up by some closet fanboy to divert attention away from Microsoft and Google's recent investments. It's not going to happen, don't be delusional.

ethomaz

Banned
Sony buying Take Two would be a death sentence for the entire company, the non-gaming departments of Sony would not allow it actually.

This rumor more likely than not, has been stirred up by some closet fanboy to divert attention away from Microsoft and Google's recent investments. It's not going to happen, don't be delusional.
Care to explain how it could be a dead sentence for the company? You are making no sense.

Sony has money for it and it won’t harm any department to invest that money in another studio/company.

That is a fact no matter if puschase is a rumor or not.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned

like i already said Sony doesnt have to buy Rockstar to make GTAVI becoma PS5 exclusive

Sony and Rockstar have great history and relationship in the past so who knows at this point anything can happened

Last edited:
Top Bottom