• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: sony in talks to acquire take-two interactive

DanielsM

Banned
lol at people that believes Sony can’t afford it.

Yeah, I don't see an issue, on the surface.

1,480,000 million yen in cash and cash equivalent
1,199,000 million yen in liquid securities
This is about $25b in potential funds.
https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/18q3_sony.pdf

$130 per share is about a $13.75b deal, TT has no real long-term debt, around $1.8b in cash so really its a $12b out of pocket deal. Assume a 70/30 cash/stock deal, Sony pays $8.4b in cash out of pocket, rest in stock.

Last edited:

Fluzer

Banned

$130 per share is about a $13.75b deal, TT has no real long-term debt, around $1.8b in cash so really its a $12b out of pocket deal. Assume a 70/30 cash/stock deal, Sony pays $8.4b in cash, rest in stock.

Make sure you let your wife do the financials in the household, I wouldn't want you broke and out on the street.

DanielsM

Banned
Make sure you let your wife do the financials in the household, I wouldn't want you broke and out on the street.
Well, you'll have to speak to Sony, they're not my financials, plenty of liquid assets on the balance sheet, in theory....but maybe you can help?

Kagero

It doesn't make sense to me to be honest. Unless Sony is planning for the future where consoles don't exist, and the money will be in who owns the most prominent IP's. Eventually, every game will playable from any TV.

Keihart

Just wanted to chime in to say that only in the US, AFAIK, people talk about a thousand millions like they were billions...it makes no fucking sense...a billion is a million of millions, jeez...you don't need a new word to say one thousand millions but you do need a new word to say a million millions so it doesn't sound stupid and confusing.

Ok, carry on, sorry to interrupt.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
They should buy them, they’d have enough to buy Capcom too.

Annual NBA 2K & MLB The Show.

Keep other games exclusive except for GTA, which could be PS and PC.

bucyou

Just wanted to chime in to say that only in the US, AFAIK, people talk about a thousand millions like they were billions...it makes no fucking sense...a billion is a million of millions, jeez...you don't need a new word to say one thousand millions but you do need a new word to say a million millions so it doesn't sound stupid and confusing.

lay off the pipe, m8

Last edited:

Stuart360

It would be hilarious if Sony cancelled the PC port of Red Dead 2.
133.gif

Where is this Sony has no money shit coming from? Seriously.

idk they think its 2009 or something. anyway

sony is not nearly as big as ms or google obviously. but they have more than enough money to acquire Take two. take two is smaller than the playstation division by a margin. a large margin. and sony is much bigger than playstation alone.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Wouldn’t take two lose enormous amounts of money if they could only have their new games on PlayStation? I can’t see how any part of this acquisition would make sense. So doesn’t seem true.

Wouldn’t take two lose enormous amounts of money if they could only have their new games on PlayStation? I can’t see how any part of this acquisition would make sense. So doesn’t seem true.

well take two wouldnt care because that would be sony's problem lmao . they take their money and run away. but yes thats true.

Last edited:

Fluzer

Banned
Embarrassing.
Sony: We would like to buy Take Two

Microsoft and Google: Shut up bitch, they belong to me

Sony: I don't have enough money daddy

The entire English speaking world refers to 1,000,000,000 as one billion following American English. British English used to call a 1,000,000,000,000 (called one trillion in American English) a billion but adopted the American English figures when referring to numbers.

Linkroo for you

And another for your learning pleasure

Do people not realize what comes out of acquiring big studios like this? Tons of people leave the company or get laid off, IP's remain dormant, and studios may or may not get closed.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Sony would have to work two jobs but it'd be worth it, Take-Two would age like fine wine under their guidance.

Sony can buy T2 easily. That’s why the market assumed Sony was buying T2. PlayStation is GTA V’s biggest market. Bigger than the other markets combined and then some.

I wouldn’t advise them to buy T2 Tho. I feel like the kid games are their weakest spot. They should be more afraid of Google and Disney than the Mature market.

Foxbat

Banned
Sony could technically afford to buy them, but it would be a really heavy burden to do so.

The article says that Sony is looking to buy with mostly cash. I imagine if this thing was really true, (which it isn't) Sony would probably throw around $10b at them in cash, and make the difference up in stocks.

Sony would recoup some of that cash immediately as TT has almost $2b cash on hand itself which I would assume would transfer right back to Sony.

The whole thing really doesn't make much sense though. Platform companies like MS and Sony would be looking to aquire developers. Absorbing publishers is basically overpaying for little return. Or at least the risk for little return depending on TT's current projects.

Keihart

The entire English speaking world refers to 1,000,000,000 as one billion following American English. British English used to call a 1,000,000,000,000 (called one trillion in American English) a billion but adopted the American English figures when referring to numbers.

Linkroo for you

And another for your learning pleasure
I did knew this, yet i feel it's still wrong since it's a murica english thing that slowly expanded, the rest of the world still knows what is a real billion, is just a misunderstanding in the english speaking world. It's right there with the logic of using the imperial units. Just mentioning it because it always seems like a way to make numbers seem bigger when talking about money. yet, linguistically it doesn't make much sense.

Mattyp

Gold Member

$130 per share is about a $13.75b deal, TT has no real long-term debt, around $1.8b in cash so really its a $12b out of pocket deal. Assume a 70/30 cash/stock deal, Sony pays $8.4b in cash out of pocket, rest in stock.

You don't spend half your liquid assests that you've spent the past 5+ years finally replenishing on one publisher that outputs a couple of games a generation, it to me doesn't make any financial sense on Sony's behalf. Yes they have money to spend but this is a massive amount to them. It only takes a few stupid choices again next gen and the market turns and before you know it you've burned through the last half of the cash reserves you have left and off to selling buildings again. I think they need to stay the course and continue to grow the assets again, spend a couple billion if you feel inclined Capcom etc but half...? Can't see it.

Fluzer

Banned
There was just a tweet by Wetbitch Securities that said this isn't happening, sorry fanboys who want Sony to disallow GTA and RDR on Xbox and PC platforms. Microsoft buying EA was more believable.

rolandss

Sounds like analyst talk trying to push prices of Take 2 stock up. They’ve got a market cap of 10.6 billion. Sony’s is 46.6 billion. I don’t know if it’s something so y could even afford.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
There was just a tweet by Wetbitch Securities that said this isn't happening, sorry fanboys who want Sony to disallow GTA and RDR on Xbox and PC platforms. Microsoft buying EA was more believable.

... more believable and as equally mean game disallowing fanboy wet dreamy too you were going to say or would “GamePass whoooooo” be the answer there ;)?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Sounds like analyst talk trying to push prices of Take 2 stock up. They’ve got a market cap of 10.6 billion. Sony’s is 46.6 billion. I don’t know if it’s something so y could even afford.

The stock went up before the comment was made. Hence they heard rumblings about that being whispered as to why investors were reacting in such a way buying in, supposedly.

Sony was hiring acquisition managers for the PlayStation division not too long ago. Now I'm not saying it is for this, but there is definitely something brewing from them.

Last edited:

Stuart360

As a PC gamer, this would suck. Not being able to play any Rockstar games anymore. At least if it was Xbox buying them, i would still be able to get the games.
There are a few studios that i wish were unbuyable (is that even a word lol), Rockstar, Bethesda (the Fallout and Elder Scrolls Bethesda), and a few others, for the sake of gaming as a whole.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Ignoring all that Sony was in the running to purchase Fox which ended up selling for 68B.

I’m sure they could dig into their couch for 10B-15B.

the assests of fox would repay that 68B easy over a few years, take two would take longer to recall the money back

nani17

are in a big trouble
Again if this was to happen In bold and big letters

Sony will not make GTA VI exclusive

They would make more money having it on all platforms and even more when you include microtransactions.

"But they'll sell more Playstations" :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
I dont think this is happening but Sony enjoyed huge profits last financial year and the year before that, they're as wealthy today as at any time in their history outside the Walkman days.

Regardless of this, I think they should invest even more heavily in software to put even more daylight between themselves and MS. A chasm exists already but if they want to survive a world in which far wealthier companies like MS and Google are in town, they will need to make their software superiority unassailable.

Top Bottom