• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Sony lining up a bid on Remedy

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Best known for Max Payne but more popular in recent years for its work on Xbox exclusives like Quantum Break, Finnish developer Remedy has since broken away from Microsoft, bringing its next project Control to multiple platforms, including the PS4. Curiously, Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida visited the studio recently, while it’s been touring various first-party outfits like Naughty Dog. We’ve also heard from a number of sources that Sony is lining up a bid, although the company’s recent reacquisition of the Alan Wake brand casts some doubt on that speculation.

Mokus

I think it's more about a collaboration like what happened with Quantic Dream. From what I know Remedy it's not only video game studio.

sublimit

Banned
Like i said in the other thread Sony is interested only in Western companies so Remedy is not that surprising.Their cinematic games would fill Sony's cinematic portfolio perfectly.

Those of you poor souls who have wet dreams about Sony acquiring Platinum,FromSoft,Konami or Capcom (lol) you better wake up.

FranXico

Nah. Don't think so. They just claimed publishing rights back, that's a studio that wants to stay independent.
There are other, smaller studios that would be a better fit for Sony, but those are not for sale either.

Last edited:
The fact that they partnered for a full multiplatform game says a lot about their interests going forward. They're not starving for money, they're not a private company, they can get publishers at will and they already have other games in the pipeline.

Sony does nothing for them but limit their audience, and one thing they would absolutely never walk away from is the PC which is something they would be prohibited from making in a Sony acquisition. The only reason Quantum Break made it to PC is because they pushed for it until Microsoft caved at the last second, this is pure fantasy and the only credence to any of these stupid rumors is because publishing rights were reverted back to them from Microsoft for Alan Wake and a Sony executive visited them a few months back.

Sega visited Microsoft a few months back, I guess Microsoft is going to acquire Sega...

People are reaching, really, really reaching.

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
Begun, the studio purchase wars have.

To be honest though. If MS wanted to, they could buy all of them and still have change.

Hudo

Not sure if Remedy would be willing to give up control but they certainly would fit Sony's direction with third-person cinematic games well. That's actually why I don't want Sony to buy them. Sony should by some studios that are orthogonal to what Sony already offer, IMHO.

Also, I liked Quantum Break!

Last edited:

yurinka

I think the type of games they do would work very well in PlayStation specially being 1st party, because the first party games help each other and I think help from other Sony teams would greatly benefit them.

I also think that on top of that Sony also would support them by providing them more creative freedom and wouldn't force them to include tvtvtv stuff as the tv series stuff they did in Quantum Break, wouldn't require them to do a PC port, wouldn't ask them to include stuff cards/lootboxes/etc.

Nah. Don't think so. They just claimed publishing rights back, that's a studio that wants to stay independent.
There are other, smaller studios that would be a better fit for Sony, but those are not for sale either.
Maybe they wanted to have the IPs to add more value to the studio purchase. Remember Ninja Theory and Double Fine, they also wanted to have their own IPs and said many times they wanted to be independent, etc.

But some day you need money and to sell the studio is the only option to don't shut it down or to fire a lot of people.

The only reason Quantum Break made it to PC is because they pushed for it until Microsoft caved at the last second,
They ported it to PC because MS forced them to do it in the middle of the development when they decided to start shifting their gaming business to PC and stop making Xbox exclusive games. Same happened with other games being developed back then like Scalebound.

To make this kind of decisions in the middle of a development is a pain in the ass for the devs and really hurts the project. But at least in their case unlike Platinum they could release Quantum Break.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Buying them and making Alan Wake 2, a PS5 exclusive is something I expect Sony to do.
I can see the Alan Wake Remastered already.
I don't think this is far fetched at all.
They've worked with MS and it didn't work.
Why not the PlayStation brand.

Great Hair

Banned
"Finally! Get me out of this shit-hole SONY!! I´m willing to change ma name! to Red Robert, Bob Lee Swagger, Chev Chelios or Alex Foley? "
max-payne-3-114.jpg

IKSTUGA

Alan Wake was mediocre, Quantum Break even worse. I hate the fact that Remedy is considered the premium Finnish game studio, when they haven't put out anything good in like 15 years. Maybe Sony's money will finally save our industry! I heard they're doing great things with Angry Birds :messenger_winking:

They ported it to PC because MS forced them to do it in the middle of the development when they decided to start shifting their gaming business to PC and stop making Xbox exclusive games. Same happened with other games being developed back then like Scalebound.

To make this kind of decisions in the middle of a development is a pain in the ass for the devs and really hurts the project. But at least in their case unlike Platinum they could release Quantum Break.
I'm not sure where you're coming to this conclusion, Microsoft is the one who actively blocked PC versions of games until they didn't. Remedy has always been very pro PC development and it's been a core staple to their development and fanbase.

Microsoft shifted gears yes, but this was late in Quantum Break's development, like nearing RC late. They always wanted it to be on PC but Microsoft didn't allow it. When Microsoft started playing with the idea of "Play Anywhere" before it was actually Play Anywhere they greenlit Remedy to port it to PC. This entailed a digital Xbox pre-order would also received the Windows 10 version of the game. It didn't hurt development as it was largely completed, they were simply allowed to do what they wanted to do originally.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Not sure they are capable of making good games anymore. They have interesting ideas, but that never seems to translate into gameplay that is more than mediocre and unoriginal.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Yeah, if was a Sony exclusive it really would have saved them.

It ticks all the right boxes. Famous people, hour long cutscenes and 3rd person over the shoulder view.

Could have been a 90 on Metacritic.

Everyone ignored the game was fun and different otherwise.

You sound so hurt. Why? The game was just average by most accounts.

I actually kind of hope this happens, it would further solidify Sony's near complete inability to develop anything outside of their third person cinematic wheelhouse.

I don't care how well these games do or how much they're bloated by gaming media, the one trick pony act is getting tiring and it's wearing on people whether they admit it or not.

They have become the most risk averse company in this industry and while quality has ramped up they have stagnated in diversity of development and design ethos.

Last edited:

Aceofspades

Banned
Begun, the studio purchase wars have.

To be honest though. If MS wanted to, they could buy all of them and still have change.

Here we go again, back to MS infinite cash reserves which can buy all studios and create the ultimate gaming machine then sell it for cheap !

Oh wait....they have been in the business for 18 years, they "couldn't" buy all games studios and "couldn't" create the ultimate gaming machine. 🤣

Mattyp

Gold Member
Here we go again, back to MS infinite cash reserves which can buy all studios and create the ultimate gaming machine then sell it for cheap !

Oh wait....they have been in the business for 18 years, they "couldn't" buy all games studios and "couldn't" create the ultimate gaming machine. 🤣

Why did you get so triggered then? All he’s saying is if Microsoft wanted to they can buy up any studio that comes to market not that they would. They have more cash sitting around then Sony is worth in entirety.

Birdo

Banned

I was mostly venting after reading stupid social media comments yesterday. I apologise for bringing it here.

I was seeing shit like; "Sony should just buy all MS properties", "Sony should buy Microsoft", "LOL Microsoft going broke".

Just to put it into perspective:

Sony Net Worth: $37 Billion
Nintendo Net Worth: $20 Billion
Microsoft Net Worth: $510 Billion :messenger_neutral:

People think that the PS4 selling well has made Sony the biggest company ever. It hasn't. They are still pissing money and losing large sectors.

Fbh

If Sony is really going out there to buy studios they should be looking into the ones that would help diversify their lineup.
IMO another studio which specializes in story heavy third person action games is maybe not what they need right now

I was mostly venting after reading stupid social media comments yesterday. I apologise for bringing it here.

I was seeing shit like; "Sony should just buy all MS properties", "Sony should buy Microsoft", "LOL Microsoft going broke".

Just to put it into perspective:

Sony Net Worth: $37 Billion
Nintendo Net Worth: $20 Billion
Microsoft Net Worth: $510 Billion :messenger_neutral:

People think that the PS4 selling well has made Sony the biggest company ever. It hasn't. They are still pissing money and losing large sectors.

While, yeah, MS is by far the wealthiest company of the 3.
How much of that Net Worth comes from Games and Xbox? Unless it's a substantial part, which it's not, shareholders aren't going to be ok with the company spending billions upon billions buying tons of game studios.

Which is why this "they have the money to buy anyone!!!" narrative never made sense to me

It ticks all the right boxes. Famous people, hour long cutscenes and 3rd person over the shoulder view.

Yeah, because every Sony exclusive is an instant 90+ metacritic game

Oh wait

OJrPBPK.jpg

BK4jkmX.jpg

Are people still this salty that Sony exclusives tend to be well recived that there's this conspiracy theory that everything gets good reviews just because it's a Sony exclusive?

Last edited:

Klayzer

If Sony is really going out there to buy studios they should be looking into the ones that would help diversify their lineup.
IMO another studio which specializes in story heavy third person action games is maybe not what they need right now

While, yeah, MS is by far the whelthiest company of the 3.
How much of that Net Worth comes from Games and Xbox? Unless it's a substantial part, which it's not, shareholders aren't going to be ok with the company spending billions upon billions buying tons of game studios.

Which is why this "they have the money to buy anyone!!!" narrative never made sense to me

Oh wait

OJrPBPK.jpg

BK4jkmX.jpg

Are people still this salty that Sony exclusives tend to be well recived that there's this conspiracy theory that everything gets good reviews just because it's a Sony exclusive?
Good luck with bringing facts to the Xcrew. The would rather live in a fantasyland of their own making than the actual world.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I loved Alan Wake and Quantum Break.

Would be a good acquisition for them as third person, cinematic narrative-driven games are the main draw of Sony's exclusive library and this just adds to that. Per the Guerrilla thread discussion and some of the above, I get the need for genre variety, but there's also something to be said for knowing your strengths and market and catering more strongly to it. It has them on track for going well over 100 million PS4s sold.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Nothing wrong with Sony catering their exclusives more to fans of these types of games, Nintendo focusing on their fanbase and kids/familes and MS focusing online gaming/shooter/racing games fans first and foremost. All have more diversity than that, but those are clearly the strongest points of each platforms exclusive library.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: GHG

Dabaus

Banned
As a HUGE xbox fan, im going to just say it. Remedy was over rated. Single player games are dying and Games AS A Service are the DEFINITE future of gaming. As a matter of fact, Bungie was over rated too and im glad Microsoft let them go. They went down hill after halo 3 anyways. Xbox has such good foresight, Double AA games on a subscription service are what the masses are clamoring for. Hardcore gamers are niche, dying breed.

Se_7_eN

I am a Playstation loyalist... But, I don't see this as a big "win". I would almost be disappointed, when was the last time Remedy released anything good?

I wish Sony would look into acquiring a horror based studio, now that Silent Hill is gone :(

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Ahhh yes because of the massive fan base Alan Wake has on Playstation.... pushing their sequel to that platform exclusively totally makes sense. /s

I mained 360 and loved Alan Wake last gen. I jumped to PS4 this gen as did many others (had an X1 briefly, ditched it after PlayAnywhere). Sony has a first party line up full of third person, narrative-driven games and people who love them and would likely enjoy Alan Wake even if they didn't play the 360 games. Put two and two together and it makes sense that it's a game that could do well on PS5. It would be some huge "splash" acquisition, but it would make sense given how Sony's base loves narrative-driven third person games based on how well they've sold.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I am a Playstation loyalist... But, I don't see this as a big "win". I would almost be disappointed, when was the last time Remedy released anything good?

I wish Sony would look into acquiring a horror based studio, now that Silent Hill is gone :(

Alan Wake 2 would no doubt get a lot of attention.

Still have to see how control does.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

While, yeah, MS is by far the whelthiest company of the 3.

Oh wait

OJrPBPK.jpg

BK4jkmX.jpg

Yes they are still salty. Insane when you realize that those same people are probably wishing for worse games to be made by Sony's studios. Like why have that level of hate in your heart?

As a HUGE xbox fan, im going to just say it. Remedy was over rated. Single player games are dying and Games AS A Service are the DEFINITE future of gaming. As a matter of fact, Bungie was over rated too and im glad Microsoft let them go. They went down hill after halo 3 anyways. Xbox has such good foresight, Double AA games on a subscription service are what the masses are clamoring for. Hardcore gamers are niche, dying breed.

You are literally factually incorrect here. Are you trying to troll us or something? Who are these masses? And how can you tell them apart from the hardcore gaming crowd?

Last edited:

Se_7_eN

Alan Wake 2 would no doubt get a lot of attention.

Still have to see how control does.
It would, the problem I have is they would have to completely remake it for it to be relevant.... Alan Wake was OK, but the "horror" was minimal and I can't think of any moments where their was a real feeling of dread or a good scare.

Silent Hill on the other hand...

Riven326

Banned

It was on the wrong platform. Just like Fable. If Lionhead were making games for Sony they would still be around today.

I think it says something about the lack of diversity on the Xbox. It's not so much Microsoft dropping the ball, it's more like they are reacting to the times when they did try and Xbox fans ignored their efforts. Phil has talked for years about wanting to eliminate the Xbox "dudebro" image. I guess it's still ongoing.

Elginer

Remedy is one of my fav studios ever and if this gives them the financial backing they desperately need to make great games I'm all for it

Great news, Remedy is one of my favorite studios and I'd love to see what they can do with proper, consistent funding. Just let them go all weird and seriously the results could be amazing.

The last thing Sony needs is more cinematic stuff.

This is a misconception, Remedy games have always featured a strong and addictive gameplay loop. It's a bit like MGS, there's a lot of cutscenes but the gameplay is awesome.

Top Bottom