• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Sony lining up a bid on Remedy

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
As a HUGE xbox fan, im going to just say it. Remedy was over rated. Single player games are dying and Games AS A Service are the DEFINITE future of gaming. As a matter of fact, Bungie was over rated too and im glad Microsoft let them go. They went down hill after halo 3 anyways. Xbox has such good foresight, Double AA games on a subscription service are what the masses are clamoring for. Hardcore gamers are niche, dying breed.
Might be one of the most obvious troll jobs I have seen in a long while. 0/10

mejin

If Sony is really going out there to buy studios they should be looking into the ones that would help diversify their lineup.
IMO another studio which specializes in story heavy third person action games is maybe not what they need right now

Maybe that's exactly what Sony wants.

I think they found a place for their first party games in the market. They never sold better and never had so ample recognition from the public. I mean sure Sony had GT and GoW, later Uncharted as big franchises, but now all first party studios are making top notch games. Overall, quality ramp up strong this gen with new ips.

So, when you think outside the box (pun intended lol), Sony has a big market waiting for their games and by doing so, people will buy their hardwares to play it. It is not something new, they always told they wanted to offer what their big partners don't and they achieved that. So, I don't think the acquisition of studios that share Sony WWS culture is a bad thing.

To know your strengths and weaknesses is basic and Sony already mentioned they lack multiplayer games, for instance. They will have more games in the pipeline to cover the weakness, but they know they can't forget what made them reach the top. As long they continue to offer top quality single player games they will always have attention.

The Alien

Banned
I dunno...

Remedy makes pretty good games (like AW), but they are hardly prolific and notoriously long turnaround times.

Be a good fit for Sony, but think it sounds like a bigger impact than reality would be.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
SONY has the best chance at recruiting Remedy and other AAA studios, they have a good pitch (PS4's legacy) and Remedy's contributions to the gaming world (Max Payne) have been great. I'm not bothered by SONY trying to recruit another AAA developer.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe that's exactly what Sony wants.

I think they found a place for their first party games in the market. They never sold better and never had so ample recognition from the public. I mean sure Sony had GT and GoW, later Uncharted as big franchises, but now all first party studios are making top notch games. Overall, quality ramp up strong this gen with new ips.

So, when you think outside the box (pun intended lol), Sony has a big market waiting for their games and by doing so, people will buy their hardwares to play it. It is not something new, they always told they wanted to offer what their big partners don't and they achieved that. So, I don't think the acquisition of studios that share Sony WWS culture is a bad thing.

To know your strengths and weaknesses is basic and Sony already mentioned they lack multiplayer games, for instance. They will have more games in the pipeline to cover the weakness, but they know they can't forget what made them reach the top. As long they continue to offer top quality single player games they will always have attention.

Very well said. Like I said before, it's smart for these companies to know their strengths and cater to them rather than trying to be a jack of all trades.

Sony has cornered a market on third person, cinematic, narrative-driven games and don't have a ton of competition there as most of the AAA third parties are focused on MP and/or GAAS that they can heavily monetize. PS4 is my main as I get those story-driven games I love and can also play GAAS like Destiny or MP shooters like CoD if I want. Even if I didn't have a gaming PC, I wouldn't be that fussed about missing Gears, Halo, Forza etc. as there are plenty of shooters out there and other racers. There aren't many great cinematic games outside of Sony's exclusives anymore.

Nintendo similarly has created their own niche and found ways to profit by focusing on it. There aren't many cartoonish, family friendly games that are great in single-player or local co-op from other major publishers.

Find your strengths, and maximize profits in that market. Being a jack of all trades ends up being a master of none. There isn't really room for three, or even two, consoles with very similar exclusive libaries. Last gen was an anomaly. Every other generation one platform has dominated sales while the others struggled (NES, SNES, PS1, PS2, PS4). Having the three offer something unique is the best chance for all three to survive and keep competition going.

Quantum Break was actually good, I guess that would be the difference.
No it wasn't the gunplay was bad and not satisfying missing fundamental elements like blindfire and the AI was brain-dead. Couple that with the environment having zero cohesiveness with the story, one level you'll travel through time to open a door and the next level a door blocks your way and you have to find a way around it. The game wasnt good and deserves the scores it got, had nothing to do with it being a MS exclusive.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
No it wasn't the gunplay was bad and not satisfying missing fundamental elements like blindfire and the AI was brain-dead. Couple that with the environment having zero cohesiveness with the story, one level you'll travel through time to open a door and the next level a door blocks your way and you have to find a way around it. The game wasnt good and deserves the scores it got, had nothing to do with it being a MS exclusive.

To each their own. It wasn't a masterpiece, but I had a ton of fun with it and it's probably still in (or near) my top ten of the generation. I loved the gun play and powers, and really enjoyed the story and how it was delivered in multiple ways--the episodes, traditional cut scenes, reading e-mails, listening to audio logs etc.

TeamGhobad

Banned
makes sense and Alan Wake 2 is a smash hit. MS is taking so many L's its ridic. How could you let this franchise go!?

DJ12

Yeah, if was a Sony exclusive it really would have saved them.

It ticks all the right boxes. Famous people, hour long cutscenes and 3rd person over the shoulder view.

Could have been a 90 on Metacritic.

Everyone ignored the game was fun and different otherwise.
LOL, we know games Sony players like never get scores of 90 on Metacritic. Sony don't pay the reviewers.

Remedy works with microsoft. Ps4 fanboys they suck screw remedy.

Remedy is single ps4 fanboys. They rock I hope Sony aquires them. Echos the entire generation

It ticks all the right boxes. Famous people, hour long cutscenes and 3rd person over the shoulder view.

Lmao, good one🤭😂 one of the main reasons I stop by here for the giggles. Never gets old to see troll warriors get shut down so quickly and especially when it backfires 🤭

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

062716_tinfoil_med_q1w5xf7p.gif

Dabaus

Banned
Yes they are still salty. Insane when you realize that those same people are probably wishing for worse games to be made by Sony's studios. Like why have that level of hate in your heart?

You are literally factually incorrect here. Are you trying to troll us or something? Who are these masses? And how can you tell them apart from the hardcore gaming crowd?

You Playstation fanboys just dont get it. Single player games are dying. Look at all the hits EA has had with game as a service. Anthem is like one of the best selling games of the year. Sea of theives has over 6 million people PLAY it thanks to game pass. People dont realize low budget, low quality AA games are what people actually care about. Microsoft dont need AAA expenisve highly rated games, thats for fanboys. Were running a business over here.

phil_t98

#SonyToo

Agree completly with all that. It was an ok game at best, good graphics an ok story. Now that remedy are free from microsoft its like microsoft was to blame and the games Alan Wake and Quantum break were amazing. They were both ok games not bad games but not as great as everybody on sonys side are making out.

FranXico

As a side remark and for perspective, this was the quality of Naughty Dogs output before being bought by Sony.

Last edited:

pqueue

makes sense and Alan Wake 2 is a smash hit. MS is taking so many L's its ridic. How could you let this franchise go!?

Because it made jack shit in profits.

MS expects $10s of millions in profits for its first party games.

AW did not deliver.

Yes, it made, a profit, but it took a while to do so and it was not enough of one to make it a valuable franchise for long-term retention.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
You Playstation fanboys just dont get it. Single player games are dying. Look at all the hits EA has had with game as a service. Anthem is like one of the best selling games of the year. Sea of theives has over 6 million people PLAY it thanks to game pass. People dont realize low budget, low quality AA games are what people actually care about. Microsoft dont need AAA expenisve highly rated games, thats for fanboys. Were running a business over here.

Okay it went over my head the first time. I gotcha now.

Holammer

As a side remark and for perspective, this was the quality of Naughty Dogs output before being bought by Sony.

Please tell me that's a joke, if not that's the most disingenuous narrative spin I've ever seen.
Sony acquired them ahead of Jak & Daxter's release while they were still riding high from a string of successes with the Crash series and Crash Team Racing.

FranXico

Please tell me that's a joke, if not that's the most disingenuous narrative spin I've ever seen.
Sony acquired them ahead of Jak & Daxter's release while they were still riding high from a string of successes with the Crash series and Crash Team Racing.
Yes, must use /s more often.

Keihart

I am a Playstation loyalist... But, I don't see this as a big "win". I would almost be disappointed, when was the last time Remedy released anything good?

I wish Sony would look into acquiring a horror based studio, now that Silent Hill is gone :(
Well...you know that they have the perfect replacement for a Silent Hill successor right? the man that directed the first Silent Hill and part of that crew is working at sony japan, their last game was Gravity Rush 2, their last horror game was Siren in PS3 (Siren 2 in PS2 is way better tho)
So i personally hope that Keichiro Toyama is either working in a new horror game or a new IP, in interviews he has said that he is interested in the horror genre and VR so...let's hope for the best :messenger_hushed:

Last edited:

Vlightray

I dunno about Remedy. On one hand I really liked and enjoyed Alan Wake. But Quantum Break was a bit meh. Control looks like that with a female. There gameplay tends to be tight.
Guess with the right Ip they could really deliver.

Xenon

As an Xbox fan, Remedy has been pretty disappointing. Alan Wake just wasnt for me. Quantum Break was better but I got close to the end an just quit. I get what they were trying to do with the show but it destroyed the flow of the game which was broken up it too small of segments.

If you ask me MS gave this studio far too much slack and let them get away from made them great, over the top shooting action. Maybe Sony can help them focus on their strengths.

wipeout364

I love remedy games but I don’t know if I would buy them if I was Sony. They are way too slow with development and I don’t know the numbers but I don’t know if they set the world on fire with how many units they move.
I say this as someone who loved Max Payne, Alan Wake and Quantum Break but unless they are getting a super deal on them it’s unlikely to produce any results for 5 years or more since control is already multi platform and seeing Remedy’s development timeline in the past.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
As a Sony guy, acquiring Remedy would be great because they develop third person single player story driven games which fits in perfectly with what Sony does. With Sony's money, resources, marketing and quality control, Alan Wake 2 (for example) would be massive. Easy 10M+ seller. With Sony, Remedy would be great once again. Hoping that it happens, sooner rather than later.

Exactly.

Quantum Break is a top 10 game of this generation for me. Never understood the hate.

bitbydeath

I don’t get the connection. They have like a relationship score of 0. There are many more studios that have put in the time with Sony that are more deserving of acquisition.

NahaNago

I do think that this studio matches Sony's style . I think though that Sony needs more variety in genre's . They need a studio for fighting games. They need a online shooter studio. A strategy game studio and a non Knack but Mario like studio. I''d honestly like a JRPG studio but that is never happening.

Last edited:
I don’t get the connection. They have like a relationship score of 0. There are many more studios that have put in the time with Sony that are more deserving of acquisition.

I think it's due to shuei yoshida's visit to their studio. then afterwards they visited naughty dog and insomniac games. And while we don't know the full details or what's going on behind the scenes. it wouldn't be surprising if this happened.

Bryank75

Banned
I do think that this studio matches Sony's style . I think though that Sony needs more variety in genre's . They need a studio for fighting games. They need a online shooter studio. A strategy game studio and a non Knack but Mario like studio. I''d honestly like a JRPG studio but that is never happening.
Street Fighter V is an exclusive fighting game, it gets season updates too. There are a few other exclusive fighters too like King of Fighters 14.

I agree about the other two, strategy games are much rarer now than ten years ago. C&C is gone and Civ didn't come to console this generation.....

I really wanted PlayStation to go all in on acquisitions and buy Capcom and Square.... would have been well worth the 7 Billion and would have made any console they make an essential purchase for any serious gamer.

It would make Street Fighter and Marvel Vs Capcom exclusive every generation and allow them to add other PlayStation characters to the roster as guests.

It would also give them RE, DMC and Monster Hunter which have huge fanbases and would take a huge audience focus away from Nintendo. Dino Crisis too!

Then Square Enix would give them Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Tomb Raider and access to older ip's like Soul Reaver.

I really think Sony / PlayStation would gain very little by buying a studio like Remedy (apart from the considerable talent of course) , they really need to focus on the synergy between the target studios or companies and their own properties. As well as how they want PlayStation to develop as a brand and shape its identity...

Just looking to future game reveals and possible mega-tons, Dino Crisis return and a new Soul Reaver would be huge.

Edit: Also, imagine an Uncharted and Tomb Raider crossover!?

Last edited:
I dont know. There were so many rumor about who microsoft was buying before e3. Capcom. Bluepoint smaller developers house marquee. Honestly nobody expected ninja therory. I expected obsidian but inexile caught me off guard same with double fine. I'll believe this remedy thing when I see it

Panaphonics

Banned
As a HUGE xbox fan, im going to just say it. Remedy was over rated. Single player games are dying and Games AS A Service are the DEFINITE future of gaming. As a matter of fact, Bungie was over rated too and im glad Microsoft let them go. They went down hill after halo 3 anyways. Xbox has such good foresight, Double AA games on a subscription service are what the masses are clamoring for. Hardcore gamers are niche, dying breed.

troll post like these are getting boring real quick. get a life dude.

I dont know. There were so many rumor about who microsoft was buying before e3. Capcom. Bluepoint smaller developers house marquee. Honestly nobody expected ninja therory. I expected obsidian but inexile caught me off guard same with double fine. I'll believe this remedy thing when I see it

Well in some ways it's kinda like the obsidian games rumors. but you can't really deny some evidence. remedy was visited by worldwide studios head; shuei yoshida. afterwards they visited naughty dog and insomniac games, followed by hideo kojima visiting them as well. usually there is that saying when there's smoke there's fire but time will tell.

NahaNago

Street Fighter V is an exclusive fighting game, it gets season updates too. There are a few other exclusive fighters too like King of Fighters 14.

I agree about the other two, strategy games are much rarer now than ten years ago. C&C is gone and Civ didn't come to console this generation.....

I really wanted PlayStation to go all in on acquisitions and buy Capcom and Square.... would have been well worth the 7 Billion and would have made any console they make an essential purchase for any serious gamer.

It would make Street Fighter and Marvel Vs Capcom exclusive every generation and allow them to add other PlayStation characters to the roster as guests.

It would also give them RE, DMC and Monster Hunter which have huge fanbases and would take a huge audience focus away from Nintendo. Dino Crisis too!

Then Square Enix would give them Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Tomb Raider and access to older ip's like Soul Reaver.

I really think Sony / PlayStation would gain very little by buying a studio like Remedy (apart from the considerable talent of course) , they really need to focus on the synergy between the target studios or companies and their own properties. As well as how they want PlayStation to develop as a brand and shape its identity...

Just looking to future game reveals and possible mega-tons, Dino Crisis return and a new Soul Reaver would be huge.

Edit: Also, imagine an Uncharted and Tomb Raider crossover!?

I had always balanced out Nintendo and Sony before when acquiring studios so I had always felt that Nintendo should buy Capcom and Atlus , while Sony should buy Squareenix. Nintendo needs some darker more mature stuff and Capcom fits the bill plus the fighting community would then go to Nintendo. Sony's biggest weakness in the past was the Japanese 1st party department so Final Fantasy would have fit right in. Sony's weakness would still be fighting games though. On the Remedy front I kinda feel like the studio honestly does fit well with Sony. They create AAA third party cinematic experiences and that is what Sony loves these days. I really do wish that Sony would try to offer a more rounded AAA variety of games. Sony seems to be going for the blockbuster movie route which I can't hate since I go to these blockbuster movies.

All these studio acquistions are interesting and I wonder if I Nintendo will join in the game. The meltdowns that will occur when Nintendo buys a studio will be hilarious.

Top Bottom