• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Sony/SuperBot Making Sony Smash Bros [Update 3: Even More Details]

Sony-Smash-Bros.-580x317.jpg

playstationbros.jpg

God, these are terrible. Sony is on their fourth platform, duders! They have plenty of their own franchises to pick from without having to scrounge for third-party PS3 exclusives (or, even worse, things people just wish were third-party PS3 exclusives.)

I'm glad the people making this game seem to have the right idea (Parappa! FAT FUCKING PRINCESS!) Ape Escape and Wild Arms are a couple more I'd like to see represented. Hell, if you want to be even crazier, go for shit like Lemmings or Patapon.

this guy is senior level designer. Some comments from his twitter. https://twitter.com/#!/TheAuburnSky

1.Our capture station and waiting area - Parappa is a permanent resident http://twitpic.com/6a60jz

2.The character artist sitting a row ahead of mine is modeling polygonal female boobies. Carry on...

Then posted this pic
380394079.jpg

3.Our studio fighters getting their brawl on http://twitpic.com/6au76k

4.Racing to finish a level design doc for today's review - map layout is looking spiffy if I do say so myself.

5.Slam! Second level design pitch approved by our studio leads! Now onto Sony Santa Monica for a final green light.

6.In the middle of a skype video interview with a level design candidate from Osaka, Japan.

7.New Sony Playstation commercial vaguely foreshadowing our soon to be announced title - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HBuK3EcY6vk

8.Checking out the original art assets from a Sony IP title we're appropriating for my level - very cool seeing this environment in raw form.

9.Fuck you clown!
450010426.jpg

(THIS more or less confirms it)

And looking at his previous work there are no fighting games.
http://auburnsky.net/Game Port HTML/Professional Work.html

Someone save these pics in case he removes them.

Man, if that guy's for real he's a early-leak PR disaster waiting to happen.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If we're judging the characters to be based upon the "Michael" commercial, then Lightning might very well be in? As Alucard would say, "I'm interested in this."

"Vaguely Foreshadowing" might mean that it's not exactly a 1:1 match up.

Though Isaac Clarke invading even non-EA games would be hilarious.

The ignorance that people show whenever this idea comes up is amazing. Herp Derp Sorny has no characters Nissan skyline fighting a space marine.

Globox_82

Banned
Yeah, the people buying this will know enough. You'll have a few of your favorite characters, more you know and then some less known ones like some of the ones in Smash Bros. The roster wouldn't be the problem here in my mind.

It is also great way to get to know other characters. You don't have to play every single game "to know" this or that character. For example I never played Heavenly Sword but I would know who Nariko is

Globox_82

Banned
The ignorance that people show whenever this idea comes up is amazing. Herp Derp Sorny has no characters Nissan skyline fighting a space marine.

Lol so true. And yet MS fanboy hype this bad guy "RAAM" and you see him for 15 second few hours in the game and you have lame boss fight with him at the end. And somehow he is memorable. gtfo.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just heard people talking about this on a stream and I thought I was being trolled. This is actually a thing? o_O

Shtof

God, these are terrible. Sony is on their fourth platform, duders! They have plenty of their own franchises to pick from without having to scrounge for third-party PS3 exclusives (or, even worse, things people just wish were third-party PS3 exclusives.)

I'm glad the people making this game seem to have the right idea (Parappa! FAT FUCKING PRINCESS!) Ape Escape and Wild Arms are a couple more I'd like to see represented. Hell, if you want to be even crazier, go for shit like Lemmings or Patapon.

Those are just mock-ups, probably the favorite characters of the person that made the picture. But Sony should have the third-party characters most people associate with Playstation, like Snake, Cloud and obviously Crash.

Link1110

Knowing Sony's games, this could be a modern Mortal Kombat to compete with Smash Bros.'s Street Fighter. Might be interesting.

Dre3001

Sony could easily have characters to fill out a roster the better question is how will it play??

Just off the top of my head they could have

Sweet Tooth and maybe throw in a few other Twisted Metal characters
Cole (Infamous)
Nathan Drake(Uncharted)
Solid Snake
Sack Boy
Sly Cooper
Ratchet and Clank
Jak and Daxter
Kratos
Maybe throw in some Final Fantasy characters
Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
Ape Escape guy
Girl from Heavenly Sword
Maybe a Tekken character or two

Then if they want to go old school

Parappa the Rappa
Crash Bandicoot
Gabe Logan (Syphon Filter)
Spyro the Dragon
MediEvil guy

They just need a solid roster of around 20 characters or so, 10-15 stages, and go from there.

The hardest part IMO would be implementing a fighting system that wouldnt be too silly to be taken serious but at the same time not too serious where it seems stupid. They have to find the balance that the first two Smash Bros. games achieved.

Atruvius

Wasn't there a picture of scarred Eddy Raja a while ago. Maybe the char model was for this game? Maybe someone could dig that pic back up here.

sn00zer

yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
got damn finally...been waiting for a game like this for ages
EDIT: Really hope they are doing a party fighting game as opposed to nothing serious...the world needs less 1v1 fighting game

farco1212

Neo Member
Every time this subject comes up, people always forget that Sony can throw in recognizable 3rd party characters. I'm sure 3rd party publishers would eat up all of the free publicity they would get by having their character in a game like this (if its good).

I just really hope that this game isn't bogged down by DLC and shallow/casual gameplay. I really hope that they can pull out something as timeless as Super Smash Bros. Melee.

In all honesty, for this kind of game to sell well, Sony need reliable, well established characters that are acknowledged and recognised by the masses, and I really don't think they have that like Nintendo do.
I can see this only appealing to diehard Sony fans.
Then again, inclusions like crash bandicoot and snake might prove me wrong...
I'm not trying to sound fan-boyish or unnecessarily pessimistic, but I don't think the concept works as well as Smash Bros.

As difficult as it was combining the different Nintendo worlds, it will be a piece of cake compared to Sony's characters.

Kratos ripping Sly Cooper apart?

Just my thoughts. Game is pretty much doomed to fail if they don't focus on either the 'mature' or 'child friendly' IPs. Combining them will be a disaster.

Talk about saying too much on Twitter.

I think it's pretty obvious this guy only expected his close friends to actually bother reading his twitter. Shame that he might get fired for this. He dun goof'd.

That being said, a kotaku article is probably imminent so this will reach Sony's eyes fast if it hasn't already. That twitter will probably be decimated by the end of today if this is true.

Hope Cloud's in this.

Lightning would get in over Cloud, sad but true. For a crossover game with cloud, there's always ehrgeiz.

Globox_82

Banned
I think it's pretty obvious this guy only expected his close friends to actually bother reading his twitter. Shame that he might get fired for this. He dun goof'd.

That being said, a kotaku article is probably imminent so this will reach Sony's eyes fast if it hasn't already. That twitter will probably be decimated by the end of today if this is true.

Lightning would get in over Cloud, sad but true. For a crossover game with cloud, there's always ehrgeiz.

Thanks for making me feel like shit.

Dre3001

What would be the difference between Gabe and Snake? Two military dudes...

What is the difference between Fox and Falco?? Link and Young Link?? Pikachu and Pichu??

Even though they are from the same games that didnt mean they had to play exactly alike yet it still happened.

In all honesty, for this kind of game to sell well, Sony need reliable, well established characters that are acknowledged and recognised by the masses, and I really don't think they have that like Nintendo do.
I can see this only appealing to diehard Sony fans.
Then again, inclusions like crash bandicoot and snake might prove me wrong...
I'm not trying to sound fan-boyish or unnecessarily pessimistic, but I don't think the concept works as well as Smash Bros.

While I definitely agree Nintendo characters are more popular there are still a fair share of unknown characters that were featured in the Smash Bros. series.

Characters like Marth, Roy, Ness, Lucas, Game and Watch, etc while they may have been popular with Nintendo fans but im willing to bet the general public had no clue what games some of them were from before the SSB series.

TreIII

Could be very interesting. And I've always had the opinion that the reason Nintendo and Sakurai are so lax with Smash, is probably due largely to the fact that there hasn't been anything close to decent competition for it.

Could this finally be the one...?

Top Bottom