• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Sony/SuperBot Making Sony Smash Bros [Update 3: Even More Details]

Why'd Lighting get in over Cloud? I know nothing about Final Fantasy, but Cloud is an icon while FFXIII is loathed by the fanbase.

Lightning got in over Cloud in the "michael" commercial, and putting Lightning in this game would increase marketing awareness of FF13-2. It works out for Square in a marketing sense, plus there's the idea that Square might want to target "current" final fantasy fans, i.e., fans of the most recent FF title. I'm just saying Lightning has far better chances of getting in. Plus, as far as I know, Cloud hasn't been in any PS3 games.

But that's only if Sony wants to put third party characters in this game, which i'm not sure about.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Lightning got in over Cloud in the "michael" commercial, and putting Lightning in this game would increase marketing awareness of FF13-2. It works out for Square in a marketing sense, plus there's the idea that Square might want to target "current" final fantasy fans, i.e., fans of the most recent FF title. I'm just saying Lightning has far better chances of getting in.

But that's only if Sony wants to put third party characters in this game, which i'm not sure about.
The main rumor states James Bond is in it.

Shtof

Lightning got in over Cloud in the "michael" commercial, and putting Lightning in this game would increase marketing awareness of FF13-2. It works out for Square in a marketing sense, plus there's the idea that Square might want to target "current" final fantasy fans, i.e., fans of the most recent FF title. I'm just saying Lightning has far better chances of getting in. Plus, as far as I know, Cloud hasn't been in any PS3 games.

When you put it that way, I'm inclined to agree. Not sure why they would avoid third party characters though.

Finisher: No look flamming crossbow shot!

Taunt: Pew pew pew

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Man, this really doesn't appeal to me. The only character I like out of that list is Parappa.

Nathan Drake is okay... but in a fighting game?

I guess it feels kind of jarring. Somehow Nintendo's characters all fit well together (mostly), but these seems so disparate and just... wrong.

Cool! I hope it's designed like a Smash game. The actual Smash series is hopeless ever since Brawl.

Also they should use a Helghast instead of Sev. Sev is just some generic bro.

sn00zer

Hope they get the third parties involved would love to see some Square characters...also hope they try and stick with sony exclusive characters

SmithnCo

Drake seems boring if he just uses guns and fist-fighting, I guess they could give him moves that involve calling in an (UC3 spoiler)
army of spiders or something else from the games.

btkadams

man, they NEED to get activision's permission to put crash in the game. and spyro too. there's so many big sony characters across all 3 gens and it would be a shame to not have the ones that were sony's first successes.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
If this game doesn't have Crash Bandicoot in it then somebody needs to be fired.

And I don't even LIKE Crash Bandicoot.

SmithnCo

If they approach/approached Square Enix about FF characters they might as well try to get Lara Croft too. Tomb Raider was pretty big for the PS1. Plus, Drake and Lara fighting each other would be pretty cool to see.

But who knows as far as third-party stuff I guess.

Takao

Banned
I wonder if these have anything to do with anything (edit: Nevermind, the first two images are from Free Realms):

V22rA.jpg

created this map almost a year ago - i sculpted this cave to break the linear flow while promoting a landmark.

Y1T9g.jpg

top dpwn - it uses a lite maze theme at the entry + end segments - inspired by kung-fu panda + lord of the rings.

OJ9Cb.jpg

jam session notes for my new platforming instance design... lots of work ahead for this one.

KywEt.jpg

sbXSz.jpg

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ew-Smash Brothers. D:

Make it Sony vs Capcom and I'd be interested.

shtof said:
Those perky "things" are far too small for Lara Croft.

Not for Modern/Crystal's Lara.

The Lamp

OMG I literally have been bitching about this for years, FINALLY Sony realizes that this is an amazing idea and needs to happen.

PLEASE BE GOOD PLEASE BE GOOD PLEASE BE GOOD PLEASE BE GOOD

btkadams

In all honesty, for this kind of game to sell well, Sony need reliable, well established characters that are acknowledged and recognised by the masses, and I really don't think they have that like Nintendo do.
I can see this only appealing to diehard Sony fans.
Then again, inclusions like crash bandicoot and snake might prove me wrong...
I'm not trying to sound fan-boyish or unnecessarily pessimistic, but I don't think the concept works as well as Smash Bros.
they definitely don't have it like nintendo, but maybe sony is trying to start now. nintendo has been making games with all of the mario characters for years (mario party, mario kart, smash bros, etc.) whereas sony usually just keeps the separate titles. this gen really seemed to be them acquiring studios and creating lasting franchises so i bet they are going to start going this route.

btkadams

Cool! I hope it's designed like a Smash game. The actual Smash series is hopeless ever since Brawl.

Also they should use a Helghast instead of Sev. Sev is just some generic bro.

sev is a BABE in kz3 so hold your tongue! they should definitely have a helghast though.

The Lamp

In all honesty, for this kind of game to sell well, Sony need reliable, well established characters that are acknowledged and recognised by the masses, and I really don't think they have that like Nintendo do.
I can see this only appealing to diehard Sony fans.
Then again, inclusions like crash bandicoot and snake might prove me wrong...
I'm not trying to sound fan-boyish or unnecessarily pessimistic, but I don't think the concept works as well as Smash Bros.

Hardly anyone I play Smash Bros. with can tell me where Olimar, Ness, Captain Falcon, or even Samus is from, or have played their games. Please. People play the game because it's fun.

WinFonda

This could be great. Sony should be able to score some solid 3rd party characters, too. And I suspect the game will be T rated -- so some blood and bruises but nothing gorey.

Lara Croft vs Nathan Drake? Hell yes.

We know Ubisoft is open to having Ezio in fighting games, and Sony has marketed a lot with them on Assassin's Creed, so I think we could expect something from them.

Not sure about Final Fantasy since Square makes the Dissidia games, but Lighting is probably the most likely candidate.

Snake or something Metal Gear is obvious.

Big Daddy or one of the characters from Bioshock Infinite, perhaps.

Ryu from Ninja Gaiden

And pretty much any game character that will have a presence in 2012.

Really, there are a ton of possibilities. I think having the game aimed at a slightly older demographic is an asset... it opens up a lot of crossover potential.

kassatsu

Banned
According to Wikipedia, here's every franchise Sony Computer Entertainment owns. They could also pull in a ton of semi-owned or guest characters.

• PixelJunk

Fake edit: wow, I had like a twenty minute complete lockdown of my computer as I was writing this post, sorry if the information was posted in the time I was absent.
Sony doesn't own pixeljunk, q-games has full ownership.

AAK

Interesting!

Making good Fighting games are very ambitious projects. Here's to hoping they can pull it off.

And please.... 60 fps.

I'm really struggling for relevant exclusive PlayStation characters

Sweet Tooth
Kratos
Nathan Drake/ Sully/ Elena
Nathan Hale/Capelli
Cole McGrath/Zeke
Parappa
Jak & Daxter
Ratchet & Clank
Maiden in Black (not gonna happen, but would be immense)
Buzz
Sev/ Rico
Translator Guy
Cloud/ Aeris/ Tifa
Tidus/ Yuna/ Auron
Sir Daniel Fortescue (he's relevant to me, dammit)
Gabe Logan?
Ape Escape dude
LocoRoco?
Ico & Yorda
Wander

The list only really becomes interesting when you think of characters from games which used to be exclusive.

Crash
Snake
Dante
Pyramid Head
Tommy Vercetti
James Earl Cash
Leon Kennedy/ Claire Redfield/ Wesker

Even then I'm struggling to recall, but I'm sure there's a lot more I could add if I was reminded

Top Bottom