• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Sony/SuperBot Making Sony Smash Bros [Update 3: Even More Details]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Problem is. If it doesn't sell well enough, forget about a possible sequel.
I don't care if it sells 5 millions units. But I do care that it sells good enough to guarantee a sequel in case the game is good or at least fun.

Given that we're still getting more Motorstorm games, I'm not sure this is actually true.

I don't care if it sells 5 millions units. But I do care that it sells good enough to guarantee a sequel in case the game is good or at least fun.

Sony will usually make a sequel to a game as long as it's well received (in terms of reviews and player opinion). The game doesn't need to light the charts on fire.

You know it's weird to say but I think microsoft has a much better stable of IP to choose from for this type of thing, despite sony having a much more relevant stable of IP.

Hopefully this is good though.

Conker
Generic Fable character
Pinata
Marcus Fenix
10 different coloured Master Chiefs.

chri5t

How likely would it be for the game to include big name third-party characters?

As awesome as it would be to fight as Lightning from FFXIII or Vamp from MGS, it would seem like a pretty unlikely scenario.

Platy

Not really feeling this one. Smash Bros works because of Nintendo's huge library of beloved characters.

Sony has Nathan Drake and Kratos as it's most recognizable characters. I just don't see it working out.

Smash Bros SELLS because of Nintendo's huge library of beloved characters

as said, it WORKS because it is FUN

eww gross it's like having super serious snake as a character

Are you saying snake was serious and that was the reason he didn't belong to smash bros ?

Ceas8.jpg

x60V3.jpg

B5FPz.jpg

sXbbZ.jpg

yeah ....

pramath

Banned

As awesome as it would be to fight as Lightning from FFXIII or Vamp from MGS, it would seem like a pretty unlikely scenario.

Consider it took Nintendo three games before they included any third party characters...

KingDizzi

Banned
This will be very, very interesting.
However, one problem is that Sony's characters lack the kind of mainstream appeal that made Super Smash Bros. such a sensation, meaning that Sony Smash Bros. might remain a more niche franchise.

Can't see the budget of this game being much higher compared to the games Sony currently churns so would not worry about it. If games like inFamous which sold like shit can get a big budget sequel this game being made by superbot will do fine.

I can see this game doing well if it turns out to be fun, a good couple million. I've no idea if it could happen but the thought of SE allowing Cloud and Seph would make me buy the game, want to see sackboy beat the shit out of Cloud personally. :p

Given that we're still getting more Motorstorm games, I'm not sure this is actually true.

So true, Sony seems to be happy when a game sells just a million. Not that I'm complaining, fucking love Sony first party this gen.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Superbot's game sounded pretty expensive, so I'm surprised it is not like a AAA action thing on the scale of a God of War game. Wonder if this is the same thing they were working when they were a six-person second-party team in Sony Santa Monica called Broodworks. IIRC they started off working on a PSP game but then moved onto PSN and now a retail game (pretty sure it's retail, though I suppose this could theoretically be a F2P title).

hamchan

If Nintendo can get big third party characters for smash bros then Sony can certainly do the same. I think it'd be amazing to see Crash and Spyro in this game.

Huff

Banned
Are you saying snake was serious and that was the reason he didn't belong to smash bros ?

No, I loved snake in smash.

Just proves you don't have to be cartoon-y to be in an over the top, crazy fighting game. Like a possible Drake, Cole, etc.

Darth Mal was in the Tony Hawk game, and I'd still consider him a serious character

Had Hal made any fighting games before SSB?

Nope, and that's why we have the game that is SSB. It's easy to see how the games they were making contributed to crafting SSB.

Unless Superbot are big fans of SSB, I doubt they'll get the SSB gameplay right. Of course they could just be making a sony mascot fighter and never intended it to play like SSB.

For old times sake here is the orginal SSB commercial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K783SDTBKmg

Coxy

Also Master Chief.
And Banjo
And Kazooie
And Joanna Dark.
And Alan Wake.

That's all I can think off at the moment.

10 different coloured master chiefs and also master chief? well fuck I'm sold now. The first ten didnt quite do it but that last one tipped me over the edge!

pramath

Banned
10 different coloured master chiefs and also master chief? well fuck I'm sold now. The first ten didnt quite do it but that last one tipped me over the edge!

Welp, misread the 10 different colored Master Chiefs as 10 differently colored Marcus Fenix :p

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

11 versions of Master Chief = 11 million copies sold, 1 million pr. Master Chief version

WinFonda

Back when I played smash bros. on the N64 i didn't know many of the characters that weren't already on the platform (mario, star fox, and link (i actually called him Zelda)

Chars like Ness and Captain Falcon are still smash characters to me, that's all I know them for... lol. There's even fewer characters I know in the modern iteration.

So yeah... it just needs a couple big video game stars and to be fun for it to be a hit.

The idea is growing on me, but the key is to keep the majority of "gun guys" away. There is no need for a Nathan Hale or the Killzone main character. A helghast level would be awesome, but I don't think a character is needed

Gun characters only work when they have a huge zany list of abilities like Snake.

But I'm warming to the rest, basically you need characters who can present a unique moveset for the game.

First party "must-haves"

Nathan Drake - great melee moveset in UC3
Kratos - no need to explain
Ratchet - huge arsenal, probably the best possible character potential
Clank - also has a lot of abilities
Jak - big moveset, has very unique movements
Cole - already in a fighting game
Sweet tooth - very distinctive
Parrappa - punch, kick, its all in the mind
Sly Cooper

Third party "must-haves"

Solid Snake - no explanation needed
Raiden - ""
Crash Bandicoot - once the Playstation mascot, deserves a spot
Spyro - another one-time mascot
Altier - could have an interesting moveset
Big Daddy - would make for an awesome character
Dante - great character

Maybes:
Daxter - could be plain fun for the character he would add
ICO / Wander or boy + Toriko - small potential moveset. Toriko could add alot
Sackboy - distinctive but I can't see a moveset
Ape Escape - kinda just runs around panicking

3rd party maybes:
Lara Croft - don't see a good moveset, but would be fun against Drake
Tekken, Street Fighter, Final Fantasy, Ryu Hyubasa characters - all have competing fighters so I'm not holding much hope

Stages/special moves:

A Helghan level
A level in Shadow of the Colossus
A special attack using patapons
Demon's Souls area?

If they are creative enough they can make any sort of character work

Anyway I'm still apprehensive about the quality of a fighter from a Western start up developer

Metal B

I dont want to be the party pooper, but we are all just OK with that hole promise? They pretty much openly announce "Yeah, we are gone Copycat Smash Brothers!" and that’s fine for everybody? Its the hole Sony copies Nintendo thing all over again, only with the guys not hiding the fact and even scream it out loud into the public.

sleepykyo

Consider it took Nintendo three games before they included any third party characters...

I don't think Lightning is quite in the same league as Snake. And surely Capcom or Namco have a character they wouldn't mind using as cross promotional tool.

I want Mortal Kombat characters

You have Kratos. Besides, do you really want MK characters in what will most likely be a T game? I was under the impression MK fans were pretty disappointed at how toned down MK v. DC was.

I dont want to be the party pooper, but we are all just OK with that hole promise? They pretty much openly announce "Yeah, we are gone Copycat Smash Brothers!" and that’s fine for everybody? Its the hole Sony copies Nintendo thing all over again, only with the guys not hiding the fact and even scream it out loud into the public.

If it means me getting a good and fun game then hey. You'd have to be some kind of awful anti-gamer to be against that.

That's a big assumption. We don't know if they play similarly or not

Metal B

If it means me getting a good and fun game then hey. You'd have to be some kind of awful anti-gamer to be against that.

It just feels weird. Lets say Pixar makes an movie about a clown and Dreamworks announced sometime later "Yes, we make a clown movie, exactly like this great one from Pixar." Pretty sure, they would get a lot of backfire. Yes, it could become a great game, but it feels like an asshole move. Its screams "We want that Smash Brothers Money!".

WinFonda

First party "must-haves"
Ratchet - huge arsenal, probably the best possible character potential
Clank - also has a lot of abilities
Jak - big moveset, has very unique movements

Maybes:
Daxter - could be plain fun for the character he would add

3rd party maybes:
Lara Croft - don't see a good moveset, but would be fun against Drake

Characters like Ratchet and Clank and Jak and Daxter would be bundled together, I think. Ratchet in particular uses Clank just to kinda jump and float around. No real reason to make them separate characters when you can represent both with 1 moveset.

Lara Croft would be based on the new game presumably, so she'd use a bow and arrow, dual pistol, machete, etc... kinda similar to Drake, sure, but she'd tilt more towards survivalist type stuff. She could perhaps bandage herself to recover from damage. At any rate, Lara's been a big part of Playstation history (and an incredibly iconic character in general), so I see her as a 3rd party must have. Also, the game will probably need some solid female representation.

watershed

Banned
I wonder how simple or complex this game is going to be? If its like smash then it will be designed as a crowd-pleaser for all but somehow that seems like an odd fit for some of the characters in the game. I would flip out if it was 3d like powerstone instead of 2d like smash.

SmithnCo

Based on the source there are super bars and different super moves, so it at least does that differently from Smash even if we don't know all the details. I'm fine with another Smash-like 2D game, there are plenty of more traditional fighters out there lately.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Eh, show me that you got the combat system right first, then we can talk about player characters

Lijik

Also Master Chief.
And Banjo
And Kazooie
And Joanna Dark.
And Alan Wake.

That's all I can think off at the moment.

Yo man what about BLINX or AZURIK or that mouse from SNEAKERS or that LIZARDMAN from Brute Force or a dude from Fuzion Frenzy!!
WAY BETTER than Sony's stable

Platy

And that pipe has a valve on it.

Chell confirmed.

...now that it came to me

This dude's office has a PIPE on the wall .... what happened to cute cubicles and stuffs like that ?

This office pic borders the "gamecube on the floor" pic =P

I was wondering... Why the hell are they supposed to "have a deal" to use Square characters? I mean, Sony is the third biggest shareholder of Square.

They have 8%. Sony's shares are pretty much meaningless in terms of day-to-day decision-making at SE.

oh if the Michael Long Live Play Advert is any indication

It isn't. I mean, I'm sure there'll be some sort of cross-promotion situation, but that ad isn't going to have anything to do with which third-party characters are in.

Though the one thing that I do think is worth mentioning, given the ad, is that characters from big-selling multiplatform releases (Ezio, Isaac, Lightning, etc.) are a lot more likely for a game like this than characters from niche third-party exclusives (Kazuma, Alicia, etc.) And if they really go for the Smash Bros. feeling, smaller third-party characters that are quintessentially "PlayStation" like Crash and Spyro are probably more likely than either.

eeew none of the ps3 franchise characters belong here. Nathan Drake, Cole and whoever from Killzones lolno.

Drake has a distinctive likeness, recognizable voice and personality. Cole has unique powers that would translate well to a fighting game. Both are great choices.

But yes, there's a lot of other recent games with ultra-boring genericheromans. Nathan Hale? Whoever from Killzone? Get the fuck outta town.

They pretty much openly announce "Yeah, we are gone Copycat Smash Brothers!" and that’s fine for everybody?

Mascot Brawler is a tragically under-represented genre.

Huff

Banned

The next smash is years away.

We need something in the meantime

Slime

Banned
I wonder of this will be another masterpiece like PlayStation Move Heroes.

...I've just never been able to take this concept seriously. I like a bunch of Sony first-party stuff, but their IPs lack the mascot-like recognizability of Nintendo characters. Throwing together a bunch of rugged dudes with a small handful of anthropomorphic cartoon characters in a single game seems less to me like a cohesive statement of what Sony has to offer, and more like a desperate reminder that, hey, uh, we have a first-party too, guys. Nevermind that it's mostly made up of a bunch of disparate absorbed studios with no overarching design philosophy.

I'm not terribly opposed to the idea, but there's an inelegance to it that makes it seem kind of forced. Smash Bros. works because a good chunk of those characters have literally defined gaming for a lot of people for decades, and seem almost like they already share a universe with each other as-is. Sony's IPs are so varied and inconsistent that to put them together would be roughly on par with taking a random handful of third-party characters and throwing them together in some sort of MUGEN game.

But hey, people love crossovers, and the gameplay itself could be pretty solid. I'm still not convinced that Sony has the stable of characters to make it work, but if it's good, I won't complain.

watershed

Banned
I don't see a problem with Sony "ripping off" Smash. Sony have spent a long time building up a cast of characters that are associated with their platforms just as Nintendo did decades ago. It makes sense to do something with all those mascots after establishing them. A simple brawler is an obvious choice.

Trevelyon

But yes, there's a lot of other recent games with ultra-boring genericheromans. Nathan Hale? Whoever from Killzone? Get the fuck outta town..

Actually Radec is a great choice for the Killzone universe. Super fast, hand to hand/knife combat intensive, probably the best villain to come out of that series and a pretty good match for a fighter.

Top Bottom