• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Sony to unveil Playstation HOME at GDC (oh snapplecakes it might be true?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tanod

when is my burrito
http://KOTAKU.com/gaming/sony/rumor-sony-to-unveil-playstation-home-240746.php

Citing an anonymous source, KOTAKU says that Sony is set to unveil Playstation HOME. The site also mentions some choice quotes from recent interviews that back up the potential of this new feature.

My understanding/speculation:
From what it sounds like, there is a virtual room in your PS3 (kind of like Animal Crossing) where you keep "trophies or entitlements" (like XBOX Live) which will be a new "requirement" for all PS3 games. You will be able create your own avatar (Mii) to inhabit the room and other people will be able to check it out.

Sounds like they are taking the best parts of Xbox Live and the Nintendo Wii and making them into a cohesive whole in one system. Ripping off or not, putting all of the best features from all services into one system is a pretty ****ing smart move. Sounds very interesting.

>UPDATE: User Gofreak has found a trademark at the US trademark and patent office for the new HOME icon. POST #129
>UPDATE: User Doel has found a post on the "site that shall not be named" boards of a supposed insider talking about this exact thing except in early February. POST #160
>UPDATE: User Slartibartfast spoke to a friend who works at Sony 9 months ago about a project in development similar to what we now know as Home. POST #291
>UPDATE: User nsb has found a link on a message board of an UNCONFIRMED summary of Phil Harrison's keynote. POST: 300 Generally, considered FAKE.

All these people deserve majoy kudos for helping to break this story!!!

KOTAKU unbanned but on probation, I hear.

theBishop

Banned
Damn a trophy room!? Pretty obviously borrowing from the competition, but i never would've thought Mii and achievements could be part of the same feature...

Dante

tanod said:
http://k*taku.com/gaming/sony/rumor-sony-to-unveil-playstation-home-240746.php

RUMOR RUMOR RUMOR

It is from a banned site so take this with a BIG grain of salt.

Citing an anonymous source, K*taku says that Sony is set to unveil Playstation HOME. The site also mentions some choice quotes from recent interviews that back up the potential of this new feature.

From what it sounds like, there is a virtual room in your PS3 (kind of like Animal Crossing) where you keep "trophies or entitlements" (like XBOX Live) which will be a new "requirement" for all PS3 games. You will be able create your own avatar (Mii) to inhabit the room and other people will be able to check it out.

Sounds like they are taking the best parts of Xbox Live and the Nintendo Wii and making them into a cohesive whole in one system. Ripping off or not, putting all of the best features from all services into one system is a pretty ****ing smart move. Sounds very interesting. I'll believe it when I see it

Sounds pretty F'n cool actually. But if that's the BIG GDC reveal people here will be surely be upset.

painey

this sounds AWESOME but like many things, too good to be true. (Would kinda make sense though with the Harrison interview saying they want more than 2D Avatars)

tanod said:
http://k*taku.com/gaming/sony/rumor-sony-to-unveil-playstation-home-240746.php

RUMOR RUMOR RUMOR

It is from a banned site so take this with a BIG grain of salt.

Citing an anonymous source, K*taku says that Sony is set to unveil Playstation HOME. The site also mentions some choice quotes from recent interviews that back up the potential of this new feature.

Sounds like they are taking the best parts of Xbox Live and the Nintendo Wii and making them into a cohesive whole in one system. Ripping off or not, putting all of the best features from all services into one system is a pretty ****ing smart move. Sounds very interesting. I'll believe it when I see it
sounds like what Phil Harrison was hinting at with regards to miis and such in that interview there's a thread about.

sounds neat... hopefully the information will still be as easily accessible as it is via xbox live. i would hope that there is a tabulated version as well.

pswii60

Sounds like someone's stuck all the pieces of evidence given in interviews together and come up with that.

Which means it's probably bang on right.

So it'll bascially be MySpace + Gamertag + Achievements. No doubt you'll map your face on to a 'Mii' type of thing too.

EDIT: Good idea, but not 'groundbreaking'.. just an extention of what we have already on other platforms. So I don't think that this is the big announcement for GDC.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
While the rumor seems to make sense, keep in mind while reading through it that it came from an anonymous source and that the half-dozen development studios we spoke with hadn't heard a thing about it.

Rumor quashed.

pswii60 said:
Sounds like someone's stuck all the pieces of evidence given in interviews together and come up with that.

So it'll bascially be MySpace + Gamertag + Achievements. No doubt you'll map your face on to a 'Mii' type of thing too.
i won't accuse them of ripping off Miis unless you can use them in games...

but even then i'd like for them to let you use them in games :)

a good feature is a good feature.

Big-E

Dante said:
Sounds pretty F'n cool actually. But if that's the BIG GDC reveal people here will be surely be upset.

Agreed. This is a cool idea but most people were probably hoping for Phil Harrison to go on stage and show a hundred new games in development.

Oni Jazar

Damn we're on PS3 speculation overload today.

This sounds like an awesome idea. Hell Sony already does exactly this on Everquest 2.

theBishop

Banned
pswii60 said:

New for 1.54: You can now use a compatible USB camera compliant with USB video class (UVC) for video chat.

Confirmed.

chubigans said:
While the rumor seems to make sense, keep in mind while reading through it that it came from an anonymous source and that the half-dozen development studios we spoke with hadn't heard a thing about it.

Rumor quashed.
remember the SIXAXIS? how many dev studios knew about that before it was unveiled?

tanod

when is my burrito
PantherLotus said:
So which part of "banned site" made you think this was legit enough to post?

I put rumor ALL OVER the OP. I'm definitely not misleading anybody into thinking this is fact, but we have prediction threads for NPD threads and hype threads for all sorts of games/systems/features and I think in that context, this thread is completely legit.

Z_Y

IF TRUE.....

That would be awesome and a shame that they couldn't have had this up and running at launch. I absolutely love having something to show for my gaming accomplishments but I am not an achievement whore (and my slightly above 6200 XBL gamerscore will attest to that).

Dante said:
To be fair, i think Phill could announce the game to end all games and every feature imaginable to the XMB and people here would still find something to complain about.

chriskzoo

Banned
Probably not true, but Phil did make reference to people not wanting to be represented online by cartoons (Miis) - which would indicate they are working on something.

pr0cs

sounds awesome. love or hate achievements they're one of the reason why I'd buy the 360 version of a crossplat title over the PS3 version.

TBH though I'd rather them just show me some games that are worth getting excited over and stop talking about "potential".

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
whoa--the kuntaku defense force is out!! That place was banned for this exact reason: posting erroneous rumors with "insiders" that never came true/or were blatantly false.

Hey, if it's true, ****ing awesome. But you gotta admit that it takes a little gumption to post something from a banned site and acknowledge it in the OP.

C'mon now.

Umino

Because certain people need something to talk about.
That was pretty smart to wait until the other two competitors made their respective online thingies and then take the best of both worlds.

Allen

From an American perspective, if I were Sony I’d continue with their strategy of being the antithesis of Nintendo. While ‘copying’ achievements should have been doing from the get-go, copying Nintendo’s Mii, or even Animal Crossing strategy shouldn’t even be considered.

Sony should position Xbox as being the awkward middle child to Nintendo’s younger. Sony’s best offense has always been its rule as the mature console.

… but Sony’s PS3 strategy is so convoluted at this point, it will have little effect.

----

Banned
Sounds like a nice idea, it would be cool if the achievements you unlocked gave you actual items that you could customize your character/home with related to the game you got the achievement from.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Z_Y said:
That would be awesome and a shame that they couldn't have had this up and running at launch. I absolutely love having something to show for my gaming accomplishments but I am not an achievement whore (and my slightly above 6200 XBL gamerscore will attest to that).

Who says they couldn't add content or support for this in games already released? Say, for example, with an update to Resistance in the spring or summer.

chriskzoo

Banned
One way to make Achievements cooler is to reward them with actual (virtual) trophies. Imagine if, rather than just getting a little notification and being rewarded 20 points for defeating a boss, you were instead given a bad-ass looking virtual trophy that you could display?

Another cool thing would be to reward people with things they can use on their avatar - so you unlock an achievement and get rewarded with a special shirt, piece of bling, or whatever. People would be like "Oh, snap! How did you get that!"

homez99

Isn't a system like this already on JPN PS3's? I heard of you being able to control this little fluffy dude and getting weather forecasts and news, and you could get a little home for him too, looked really sweet.

tribal24

Banned
---- said:
Sounds like a nice idea, it would be cool if the achievements you unlocked gave you actual items that you could customize your character/home with related to the game you got the achievement from.

this seems like the most possible thing if it is true

theBishop

Banned
chriskzoo said:
One way to make Achievements cooler is to reward them with actual (virtual) trophies. Imagine if, rather than just getting a little notification and being rewarded 20 points for defeating a boss, you were instead given a bad-ass looking virtual trophy that you could display?

Another cool thing would be to reward people with things they can use on their avatar - so you unlock an achievement and get rewarded with a special shirt, piece of bling, or whatever. People would be like "Oh, snap! How did you get that!"

Or like when you unlock all the challenges in a game you get a piece of furniture for the home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom