• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor & Speculation: Kojima + Sony + Konami = Silent Hills on PS5

Vognerful

Intro

So the youtube channel "Moore's Law is Dead" has a podcast, and in the most recent episode, the guy says he has been told by 2 sources that Kojima Productions and Sony have partnered with Konami to finally make - yup, obviously - Silent Hills.

I can begin to take this guy seriously because this summer he also said he was told by a source that God of War 2 would be teased at the September PS5 show and come out in 2021. This turned out to be true, so he may actually have someone leaking him legit info.

Listen for yourselves, he teases Silent Hills on PS5 being made by Kojima and that Bluepoint is remaking Metal Gear Solid for PS5 as well, both Konami IPs.

Time stamp for Silent Hills + MGS rumor is 1 hour 48 mins into podcast (1:47:55.)

so..

Could it be true? Kojima + Konami? Silent Hills on PS5? Really? Yes, I think so.

Lets look at Kojima Productions, Sony, Konami, and also Bluepoint Games.

Part 1

First, there was this back in April this year. A Japanese horror manga artist shared a picture with "Silent Hills" printed on something, and then 1 hour later, a second pic of the sign outside Konami's building in Tokyo. His caption on the Silent Hills picture hinted it was his printed invitation to a meeting at Konami. Makes sense to commission an artist who works in the horror genre for such a game.

42TsK1q.jpg

So clearly Konami are working on something called Silent Hills.

But this has nothing to do with Kojima and he ended on very bad terms with Konami. So is this just a sign that Konami are going to make a Silent Hills game WITHOUT Hideo Kojima?

I don't think so. Cause Kojima is also talking with horror manga artists. Coincidence?

Part 2

Kojima Productions are working on something new, and it seems clear its a horror game.

Kojima was teasing in 2019 that he was rewatching a horror film that he began watching when making P.T. aka Silent Hills.

And before covid shut everything down back in February, Kojima Prods was teasing something would be revealed soon. Perhaps covid delayed the game's reveal as they had to shutdown temporarily, etc.

We know Kojima Prods have confirmed just recently in October they are hiring for a new game in development and are expanding.

https://twitter.com/KojiPro2015_EN/status/1319201597117718528?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1319201597117718528|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https://www.shacknews.com/article/121088/kojima-productions-next-game-is-in-development

They have shared tweets of an orchestra working on some new music for something as well.

https://www.gamesradar.com/kojima-productions-composer-recording-for-unannounced-project/

Continued below...

He also repeated previously that Spiderman Miles Morales, H:FW and new GoW were actually PS4 games but Sony decided to rework them for PS5 (hence why they are cross generation games).

Iced Arcade

Sooooooo

- Konami fires Kojima

- Kojima starts making games for Sony.

- Konami give Sony & Kojima it's IP to make boats of cash off of.

- even though they could have just Kojima employeed and made it without having to split cash with 2 other companies.

weirder and more fucked up bizzare things have happened I guess.

Last edited:

PooBone

What if its a remake of Silent Hill?

Also that MGS rumor has been going for years, even predating the SotC remake, although cool, I don't know if I want a remake of MGS after the Twin Snakes or the fact the Music won't be part of it
What has led you to believe that the music would not come with the licensing?

Raonak

Banned
I think there's definitely some smoke.

but it's also too good to be true.

there does seem to be a lot of hints that sony haven't dropped their biggest bombshells yet.

PooBone

As much as I love Metal Gear and PT, Kojima’s a risky addition in my opinion... my personal brand of Silent Hill fanboy I could see loving or hating what he’d be capable of.

Akira Yamaoka is the must-have talent. He made the western-made games enjoyable. (Except Downpour, which wasn’t horrible but is my least favorite of them)

Synless

What if its a remake of Silent Hill?

Also that MGS rumor has been going for years, even predating the SotC remake, although cool, I don't know if I want a remake of MGS after the Twin Snakes or the fact the Music won't be part of it
Why wouldn’t we want a remake of Metal Gear Solid after Twin Snakes? That game is tied to a single Nintendo console, not even their top selling one at that. It was also made by a studio that took many liberties with the direction of the cinematics. I think Bluepoint who did the HD collection and is more than familiar with the series at this point would do an exceptional job that makes that version look like a fan made game.

Last edited:

Dr_Salt

Well.. We also know that kojima started a reallly big project but sony canceled it. So yea could be true..

I mean the leaks say the game is bound to be released in 2021. If Kojima just started working on a new game then there is just no way the game is close to finished.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Well.. We also know that kojima started a reallly big project but sony canceled it. So yea could be true..

Sony didn’t cancel the project and we don’t even know if he is working with them. What seems to have happened is that they didn’t successfully turn a concept into a playable gameplay loop. This happens to a lot of projects.

FrankWza

Gold Member
Put me down for the limited edition. If something like this happens you gotta spend some extra $ so it can happen again.

AmuroChan

Sooooooo

- Konami fires Kojima

- Kojima starts making games for Sony.

- Konami give Sony & Kojima it's IP to make boats of cash off of.

- even though they could have just Kojima employeed and made it without having to split cash with 2 other companies.

weirder and more fucked up bizzare things have happened I guess.

I think this rumor is complete BS, but in your scenario the reason why Konami would license out the IP to Sony is because then they don't need to spend a dime on the game. Sony funds the development, and Konami just gets a cut of the profit. If Konami made the game internally, they would've had to fund the game and incur all the risk. Given what Konami is doing nowadays as a company, it is probably more likely that they just license out their IPs rather than making AAA games internally.

OrionNebula

It’s like that Microsoft buying Sega rumour that just won’t die.

I ain’t saying it’s not real, but I’ll only believe it when I not only see it with my own beady eyes, but also not going to get excited as long as it’s not gold or something, weeks before actual release, because konami is involved in a way or another, and they just LOVE fuck things over in my book

Also, I’d only buy it physical. Konami just can’t be trusted

Proof?

DonJimbo

No, he didn’t. Silent Hills or whatever game comes next, like a new or remade Metal Gear, will be Sony exclusive, because they’re the ones funding them.
Then you have to read his comment again ;)
Because He wrote XSS so I said XSX aswell not to include

Last edited:
Has anybody matched that sound from demons souls to metal gear? In the form of a video with proof? I don’t remember hearing that sound and it doesn’t sound familiar to me at all and I’ve played through the first metal gear several times.

mansoor1980

Has anybody matched that sound from demons souls to metal gear? In the form of a video with proof? I don’t remember hearing that sound and it doesn’t sound familiar to me at all and I’ve played through the first metal gear several times.
any link to that sound?

Chukhopops

I would love it but why would Konami and Sony resurrect this license in particular? According to a quick Google search the whole Silent Hill series sold less than Resident Evil 5.

It would be a lot more likely they would do something with Metal Gear or Castlevania.

SCB3

What has led you to believe that the music would not come with the licensing?

They stopped using the Main MGS theme after 3 as it was pointed oout to Kojima about it being too similar and possibly stolen from an older composer

Hudo

I'd rather have a new Silent Hill game by Masashi Tsuboyama. I don't know why people have such a hard-on for Kojima. But for Sony it makes sense, they desperately need to boost their weak first-party output.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Do you guys think Norman Reedus would return for Silent Hills?

Just googles norman ages and holy crap didnt realize this dude is 51 years old

He still looks like a 20s-30s to me

Maybe if theyre working on a long term project for this game they will look for someone younger

Im still surprised when i find this out...impressive feat by norman...he mustve a healthy lifestyle...all those training on walking dead mustve paid off...

Last edited:
Top Bottom