• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Square to sell two franchises

luffeN

so, this is all just a rumor and maybe a page trying to get some hits.. or whatever :)

according to gamefront the page wunderlampe.de was told that Square Enix will sell two of its franchises. wunderlampe did neither say which franchises will be sold nor who the buyers are.

now some speculation from gamefront. they say that it could be the Mana and Kingdom Hearts franchise, which will go to Disney, because they started their own developement studio named Fall Line in November 06. Now for the wildest thing (imo) in this speculation: Fall Line was created to produce for Wii, DS and GBA.

so, take it with a grain (or even truckload) of salt :)

sources: http://www.gamefront.de and http://www.wunderlampe.de/multiplattform-news/square-enix-verkauft-zwei-spiele-reihen.html

Square-Enix doesn't need Disney now that they're in bed with the Big N and have a richer cast of IPs to play with.

Kingdom Stars....believe.

Totalriot

Don't think that SE would sell franchises they've still used recently. Chrono or maybe Parasite Eve on the other hand...

Majmun

Would be stupid to sell Kingdom Hearts. That's one of their best selling franchises, just behind Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest.

Zweisy1

I'd like to see a competent shmup developer like G.Rev, Treasure, Cave, Irem etc. to make a sequel to Einhänder. Just dont have faith that Square Enix would be able to do justice to it.

Xrenity said:
Kingdom Hearts is dead when Disney will be making their own.
Agreed. I really liked the KH games, but I'll probably never play another if they're made by Disney. They already had their fair share of flaws the way they were.

There was a rumor about the next KH iteration appearing on the Wii too, wasn't there? Seems more likely now if this Fall Line deal is real.

Busty

Banned
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Probably more niche stuff than a majority of you are thinking in GAF land right now.

Agreed. Some super obscure IP that's being sold to an as yet unannounced spin off studio started by ex-SE employees.

Otherwise what would be the point? Also, what exactly would Disney be buying? The KH name and what else, their own characters? Pfffft.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
NintendosBooger said:
Square-Enix doesn't need Disney now that they're in bed with the Big N and have a richer cast of IPs to play with.

Kingdom Stars....believe.
Did you just make the suggestion that Link, Mario, and crew are a "richer cast" than anything Disney has created?!

DeaconKnowledge said:
Ogre Battle. they don't seem to want anything to do with it.

I would welcome that, just to see another next gen SRPG made. The genre needs to live on. Its not like Sqaure is doing anything with it.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I'd say they should get rid of the Chrono franchise if they're not planning on doing anything with it. It's especially ridiculous because they shut down that promising looking fangame for no reason at all.

wsippel

Banned
Selling a joint SquareEnix/ Disney franchise to Buena Vista Games wouldn't be all that surprising, though...

ethelred

nubbe said:
Ogre und das grosse SaGa, ja das ist richtig.

The SaGa franchise is not going to be sold considering that the series' creator and producer sits on Square Enix's Board of Directors.

dark10x said:
Did you just make the suggestion that Link, Mario, and crew are a "richer cast" than anything Disney has created?!

In the gaming arena, yes.

How many Mickey Mouse games have sold in comparison to Mario?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Forgotten Ancient said:
Please sell Chrono and Parasite Eve to Level 5.
Combine photo of mutant rat and photo of burnt corpse to make ...... a terrible idea!

Busty

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
They should sell Ogre Battle to whoever Matsuno's with now, and sell Chrono to Mistwalker.

Perhaps. Though I would have thought Level 5, if anyone,would have earned the right to pick through what's left gathering dust in SE's Ip closet rather than Mistwalker.

wsippel said:
Selling a joint SquareEnix/ Disney franchise to Buena Vista Games wouldn't be all that surprising, though...

Disney like money. SE make them money through the KH games already. They would rather have their own games that feature their IPs and keep cashing the KH cheques anyway.

Tieno said:
So what's your definition of a 'rich' cast?

Characters with great value and recognition in the gaming industry. If Square-Enix is looking for another Disney-esque cast that has more weight in this arena, I can't think of any better.

Mau ®

Why would they sell KH when its one of their biggest moneymaker?

They could one of their older stuff though I don't see why would they do it...

Tieno

NintendosBooger said:
Characters with great value and recognition in the gaming industry.
Ah, ok, so rich 'game' cast. Though Disney's cast has a much wider and broader appeal.

NintendosBooger said:
Characters with great value and recognition in the gaming industry.

Well, Disney transcends the gaming industry.

Hard to say if Mario and crew would have more pull. Did Mario RPG do better than the KH series? It's kind of apples and oranges, but it's the only precedent we have so far.

That said, I'd rather play Mushroom Kingdom Hearts than Kingdom Hearts.

Zweisy1

But doesn't Disney already own the rights to Kingdom Hearts and Square Enix is just developing it for them?

TreIII

Segata Sanshiro said:
They should sell Ogre Battle to whoever Matsuno's with now, and sell Chrono to Mistwalker.

This would definitely be welcome. Especially in Ogre Battle's case. Not like they're seemingly going to have major plans for this franchise in the future any way.

Brobzoid said:
Please be some quintet IPs. Act Raiser or Terranigma or something.

...And this would definitely be awesome too. Though, I would just be left wondering who would end up being worthy enough to carry on these franchises' legacies. Factor 5 and Tri-Ace just leap to the forefront of my mind...plus, since neither of these studios seem that poised to set out on their own any time soon, it would still technically be a franchise within Square Enix's ranks...so to be speak.

Of course, I'd also like nothing more than to see Bushido Blade sold off to those guys at Light Weight. Sure, they've been piddling along, making their own games in the Kengo series...but it really hasn't been the same for them since their BB days. Maybe actually getting their damn franchise back would be a revivifying effect for them...

Busty said:
Perhaps. Though I would have thought Level 5, if anyone,would have earned the right to pick through what's left gathering dust in SE's Ip closet rather than Mistwalker.

I like Level 5 a lot. So much so, I'd rather see them developing their own IP's. Besides, if Mistwalker had it, there'd at least be a good chance of getting some of the actual Chrono Trigger people in on it. Minus Horii, sadly, but I don't think Horii plus Chrono is going to happen again anyway.

But hey, this is all just fun what if'ing anyway. Square isn't likely to sell a franchise of value, so Chrono isn't going to go anywhere. I might be able to see them parting with OB, but if that happened, it probably would be Matsuno's idea, not Square's. I'd like to see that happen. I'm sure Square doesn't care about OB, and that's his baby. Bad enough he won't get to keep going with Ivalice.

Acosta

In case this is true (the source is too weak) my bet would be Ogre and Parasite Eve. I doubt it can be Kingdom Heart, without Square Enix is just "another Disney game" and that doesn´t have the same appeal.

In fact is something I would like, companies has beloved franchises that are just there collecting dust when some people would love they come back or even develop for them. EA has a ton of names that are perfectly valid for new games and they do nothing with them. Seems a waste.

RevenantKioku said:
Combine photo of mutant rat and photo of burnt corpse to make ...... a terrible idea!

Are you making fun of the alchemy in DQVIII? :lol
That was by far my least favorite part of that game. Really really annoying.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Forgotten Ancient said:
Are you making fun of the alchemy in DQVIII? :lol
That was by far my least favorite part of that game. Really really annoying.
Dark Cloud 2.
Y2Kevbug11 said:
So you hate Parasite Eve too?
God no. I love Parasite Eve. I'd hate to see it in the hands of a crappy team like Level 5.

Top Bottom