• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Square to sell two franchises

jett

D-Member
NintendosBooger said:
In the gaming arena, yes.

How many Mickey Mouse games have sold in comparison to Mario?

Between this and the shitting thread, you're quickly making a name for yourself.

RevenantKioku said:
Dark Cloud 2.

God no. I love Parasite Eve. I'd hate to see it in the hands of a crappy team like Level 5.

Cor Blimey!

Crappy? Really?
They might not be the best (though that could be debated), but crappy? Jaleco is crappy.

I don't see how the company behind Rogue Galaxy, Dark Cloud 2, and Dragon Quest VIII could be crappy. Perhaps overrated. They're one of my favorite "new" companies of the previous generation, anyways.

One's gotta be Kingdom Hearts cause the game sold well both in Japan and Europe but the Kingdom Hearts team is working on Final Fantasy Versus XIII instead of KHIII, which really caught my eye back when they announced the FFXIII projects.

Yoboman

Unless Disney gave them no other choice, I don't think they'll sell the Kingdom Hearts franchise... And last we heard about the franchise, was that Disney was pressuring Square Enix to get cracking on the third installment

Mashing

Well, Disney has the ultimate last word regarding the Kingdom Hearts franchise. They can take it away from SE without much fuss. Basically it's a BVG game, contracted out to SE. Not the otherway around.

I for one, don't wish that too happen. KH is a flawed, but enjoyable franchise.

Yoboman said:
Unless Disney gave them no other choice, I don't think they'll sell the Kingdom Hearts franchise... And last we heard about the franchise, was that Disney was pressuring Square Enix to get cracking on the third installment

Yeah, I think it'd be retarded to get rid of the Kingdom Hearts franchise. It's not like there has to be either Mario Hearts or Kingdom Hearts. Plenty of room for both.

I just want Mario RPG 2.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Forgotten Ancient said:
Cor Blimey!

Crappy? Really?
They might not be the best (though that could be debated), but crappy? Jaleco is crappy.

I don't see how the company behind Rogue Galaxy, Dark Cloud 2, and Dragon Quest VIII could be crappy. Perhaps overrated. They're one of my favorite "new" companies of the previous generation, anyways.
Rogue Galaxy is unproven to me, DC2 is shit and DQVIII was them in graphical engine only. All the good stuff of DQVIII had nothing to do with Level 5.

RevenantKioku said:
Rogue Galaxy is unproven to me, DC2 is shit and DQVIII was them in graphical engine only. All the good stuff of DQVIII had nothing to do with Level 5.

So Level 5 wasn't responsible for the Alchemy or painfully easy gameplay? The best part of DQVIII for me was the graphics and music. I can't point the finger at them for stupid renames of spells, either?

All this time I thought it was level 5 that messed with the traditional DQ formula. Apparently I should like Level 5 even more than I previously did. :D

J-Rzez

:lol @ thinking Mario, Link, Samus, and uh.... uh... Toad and Team Rocket... is a much "richer" cast than that of Disney characters... Disney has a much greater wealth of characters that could be implemented into the game, as it's been shown many many times... Soooo many more characters... and it's worked so far, so why break it... Gamers buy the game because it's fun, and some like the story... Parents buy the game up for their kids because the characters are instantly recognizable... And even if you're a gamer, Disney characters should be notable because who hasn't watched Disney movies when growing up, or seen them on TV?

It's sad to think that Kingdom Hearts would be ruined by something like this, so I'll dismiss this until it's proven true... Though Nomura has stated before he looked forward to the possibilities the PS3 can bring to Kingdom Hearts... and, what's to stop them from working on it after their flagship FF game has set off, Kingdom Hearts 3 in '09???

What else is missing here that could be said to be lost?

Star Ocean? Or is that a Tri-Ace thing?

Durante

Forgotten Ancient said:
So Level 5 wasn't responsible for the Alchemy or painfully easy and horribly repetitive gameplay? The best part of DQVIII for me was the graphics and music. I can't point the finger at them for stupid renames of spells, either?
Exactly. Level 5 only made the few good parts of DQ8. Also fixed.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Forgotten Ancient said:
So Level 5 wasn't responsible for the Alchemy or painfully easy gameplay? The best part of DQVIII for me was the graphics and music. I can't point the finger at them for stupid renames of spells, either?

All this time I thought it was level 5 that messed with the traditional DQ formula. Apparently I should like Level 5 even more than I previously did. :D
Sigh, I don't even know how to begin to respond to the stuff in this post.
By the way did you enjoy your book?
Durante said:
Exactly. Level 5 only made the few good parts of DQ8. Also fixed.
o_O
So uh, why did you play DQ8 anyway?

The Kingdom Hearts rumor doesn't make any sense. It's the intersection of the Square stylings, production values, and characters with the well-loved Disney worlds that make it work. It's still worth a lot to S-E (given that it's one of their top three franchises), and it can easily get milked via side-games and such while they slow-burn the third game in the franchise. Plus it's pretty much Nomura's baby. I could see the deal falling apart sooner than I could see it sold off.

Chrono to Mistwalker, on the other hand... that's a rumor with some meat to it!

mr_nexus

Banned
Maybe they will sell Xenogears to Monolith. Finally, true Xenogears prequels(or sequels). It's not like Square is going to do anything with the franchise anyway.

Chemo

mr_nexus said:
Maybe they will sell Xenogears to Monolith. Finally, true Xenogears prequels(or sequels). It's not like Square is going to do anything with the franchise anyway.
Hey, good thinking. Much more likely than Chrono to Mistwalker, I'd say.

RevenantKioku said:
Sigh, I don't even know how to begin to respond to the stuff in this post.
By the way did you enjoy your book?

C'mon, KaBuff?

I apologize if I don't know all the details and inner-workings of who did what with what games, but pretty much every game Level 5 has touched that I've played I really enjoyed. Granted, I've only touched the demo of Rogue Galaxy, but I'll have the full version in a few weeks. From what you told me, the best improvements to DQVIII were implemented by Level 5 in my eyes.

I loved Dragon Quest VIII, though. I just found it to be easier than every other game in the series besides part VI. I only found VI easy though cus I sped up the game on an em*la*or and got ridiculously overpowered. Aside from the first boss in VIII, it was smooth sailing.

The graphics, music, and voice acting in DQVIII were better than any other RPG I played previously. Maybe not technically, but they were tops to me.

Anywho, were you my Secret Santa? If so, I commented in the stickied thread. I loved the book :D. I already purchased the rest of the trilogy and would be further along Spiral if it weren't for classes and work starting up again. Thanks!

repetitive

No point in playing a DQ game (or most RPGs) if you're not into "repetitive" gameplay. I, for one, loved it.

ethelred

mr_nexus said:

Eww ewww ewwwww ewwwwwwwww.

Forgotten Ancient said:
No point in playing a DQ game (or most RPGs) if you're not into "repetitive" gameplay. I, for one, loved it.

Right. And Dragon Quest gameplay is so, so awesome.

Maybe Monolith can find another publisher, but I doubt Namco would pay ten bucks for "Xenogears" at this point. Saga is the more established IP of the two, the connection between them is well-known, and Xeno kinda doesn't really equal big sales anymore.

RevenantKioku

Forgotten Ancient said:
C'mon, KaBuff?
Eh, stuff like that doesn't bug me
I apologize if I don't know all the details and inner-workings of who did what with what games, but pretty much every game Level 5 has touched that I've played I really enjoyed. Granted, I've only touched the demo of Rogue Galaxy, but I'll have the full version in a few weeks. From what you told me, the best improvements to DQVIII were implemented by Level 5 in my eyes.
Dark Cloud 2 burned me to the soul. For DQVIII, all Level 5 did was graphics (music? no), and I mean that in the loosest sense as the world design, character designs, monster designs were all in the hands of not Level 5. I'm not a fan of alchemy systems either, but I think DQVIII's was one of the least offensive ones I've seen, Dark Cloud 2 being one of the worst.
I loved Dragon Quest VIII, though. I just found it to be easier than every other game in the series besides part VI. I only found VI easy though cus I sped up the game on an em*la*or and got ridiculously overpowered. Aside from the first boss in VIII, it was smooth sailing.
I had some hiccups, but then again, I wonder if there was any tweaking for DQVIII for the US audience much like those damn menus. Maybe Scarlet knows.
The graphics, music, and voice acting in DQVIII were better than any other RPG I played previously. Maybe not technically, but they were tops to me.
Play BKO! And yeah, DQVIII looked nice, but it's DQ! Who cares about that stuff when there are levels to grind! :D
Anywho, were you my Secret Santa? If so, I commented in the stickied thread. I loved the book :D. I already purchased the rest of the trilogy and would be further along Spiral if it weren't for classes and work starting up again. Thanks!
Yeah, I was. I missed that post I guess. I have only started up Spiral, but the first book is sooooo much better than the movie (well, I only saw the Japanese one) and I quite enjoyed the movie.

My basic point though, is that Level 5 really isn't responsible for much of DQ8, if you want to say that's great or not is your thing. All I know is that their efforts that I've played (Dark Cloud 1 & 2, have they done anything else?) have been such shite games that I don't have much faith in them.

mr_nexus

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Maybe Monolith can find another publisher, but I doubt Namco would pay ten bucks for "Xenogears" at this point. Saga is the more established IP of the two, the connection between them is well-known, and Xeno kinda doesn't really equal big sales anymore.

That's true, Namco hates Xenosaga. Monolith should go to Microsoft and develop the series on the 360.

Xenogears and Blue Dragon:)

Odrion

Banned
RevenantKioku said:
Combine photo of mutant rat and photo of burnt corpse to make ...... a terrible idea!

Well, I'd rather see that occur than the straight up no games being produced for the franchises.

Play BKO!

I want to, but I wanna play the original first. Neither of which I really have the time for with everything else on my plate. I'll probably buy them when I get some spare cash regardless.

I have only started up Spiral, but the first book is sooooo much better than the movie (well, I only saw the Japanese one) and I quite enjoyed the movie.

Definitely. I already had both the Ring and Ringu on DVD (so it's obvious you made an excellent choice for a book :D ), but the book was excellent. I only wish I understood Japanese so I could get an untranslated version.

All I know is that their efforts that I've played (Dark Cloud 1 & 2, have they done anything else?) have been such shite games that I don't have much faith in them.

Aside from their work on DC1&2 and DQVIII, they also did Rogue Galaxy and J'eanne d'Arc. I haven't touched JDA and only briefly touched the demo, so I can't really comment on either.

They're also working on White Knight Story, which looks really promising. Looks != a great game, but I have faith.

Looking back on DC1, it's a pretty crappy game with extremely generic "puzzles", if you could even call it that. However, it was a very early game and I did enjoy it at the time.

DC2, imo, was a much better effort. I'd also say that, however nominal they're contribution might've been, DQVIII benefitted from Level 5's work. The engine in that game was awesome and so refreshing. I almost forgot how good it felt to run around in a nice, fully realized overworld. Being on a boat was even better. And flying (arghh...can't remember the bird's name...I keep wanting to call it Ramia) was really satisfying (though I hated the brief loading between transition). I'm so sick of "point-click" navigation that a lot of games (FFX, Xenosaga) seem to incorporate.

I just hate to see a company that obviously pours a lot of effort in their games be called "crappy". They might not be for everyone, but it surely isn't through a lack of trying.

ronito

I'd have to say that the Vagrant Story and Ogre Battle without Matsuno makes a ton of sense to sell. He was what made those games, it'd be best to not try to relive the glory without him.

Parasite Eve also makes a lot of sense. It's been neglected for years. But what would it return as? RPG or Survival horror?

Selling Chrono makes no sense. It could really be their next biggest franchise if they gave it a proper revival, it's too valuable to sell off like FF and DQ.

Kingdom Hearts, it would seem unlikely as one of the draws is FF characters and also it's a cash cow.

Sieken Denetsu makes no sense since they're just release their latest iteration of running it into the ground. No one would really want it and it doesn't have a large universe/character set that you'd normally buy a franchise for.

Xenogears? Dear lord no. We've already suffered through three Xenosagas, please don't make us see what "really" happened.

But watch it'll probably be something like the Egg Hero and Another Mind, some games that we don't hear about.

Tobal to Namco?

Parasite Eve to Capcom?

Front Mission to Bandai? (I know Namco and Bandai are one company, but i still like separating them)

Can make a billion and one speculations...lets just see what comes our way lol.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
List of Square Enix Franchises (since 1990):

Square
Final Fantasy
Breat of Fire
Chrono
Secret of Evermore
Seiken Densetsu (Mana series)
Bahumut
Bushido Blade
Tobal
Einhander
Front Mission
Xenogears
Parasite Eve
Brave Fencer Musashi
Ehrgeiz
Vagrant Story
SaGa
Driving Emotion Type S

Enix
Dragon Quest
Act Raiser
Ogre Battle
Itadaki Street
Terranigma
Star Ocean
Mischeif Makers
Bust a Move
Valkyrie Profile
Grandia

Square Enix
It's a wonderful world
Kingdom Hearts
Drakengard
Full Metal Alchemist
Project Slypheed

===================

The above list is non-exhaustive and doesn't include several Japanese-only franchises that a) I didn't recognize and b) would make this story irrelevant. I don't particularly think the source knows anything in particular about developing franchises and is instead probably talking about publishing rights, like SE did for EverQuest in Japan. There are a TON of games from these two publishers, and losing 2 franchises (or "selling") could be horrific or it could be completely non-news. I'm leaning towards the latter.

Jiggy

J-Rzez said:
Star Ocean? Or is that a Tri-Ace thing?
I guess that would have potential if they sold it to Nintendo or maybe Namco. Actually, forget Namco--they'd just make it more like Tales.

But maybe I'm just desperate for my SO2 DS remake.

ronito said:
I'd have to say that the Vagrant Story and Ogre Battle without Matsuno makes a ton of sense to sell. He was what made those games, it'd be best to not try to relive the glory without him.

I don't even want to think about any SE revivals of those without him. I would like to think about him doing them at Mistwalker or whereever. :)

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
ronito said:

Parasite Eve also makes a lot of sense. It's been neglected for years. But what would it return as? RPG or Survival horror?

Selling Chrono makes no sense. It could really be their next biggest franchise if they gave it a proper revival, it's too valuable to sell off like FF and DQ.

Kingdom Hearts, it would seem unlikely as one of the draws is FF characters and also it's a cash cow.

Sieken Denetsu makes no sense since they're just release their latest iteration of running it into the ground. No one would really want it and it doesn't have a large universe/character set that you'd normally buy a franchise for.

Xenogears? Dear lord no. We've already suffered through three Xenosagas, please don't make us see what "really" happened.

But watch it'll probably be something like the Egg Hero and Another Mind, some games that we don't hear about.

Well, Matsuno wasn't around for Ogre Battle 64. He did the story, but then left for Squaresoft and worked on Final Fantasy Tactics. OB64 was mostly developed without him, and most people rate that as either the best or second best entry in the Ogre Battle Saga.

Would be neat to see the Ogre Battle IP handled by Intelligent Systems. Nintendo published Ogre Battle, Tactics Ogre, and OB64 in Japan, I think, and IS is a goldmine in terms of quality.

argon

BVG just opened a new studio focusing solely on DS/Wii games.. maybe Disney wants Kingdom Hearts to be their flagship title? Stranger things have happened.

Man, **** those SE franchises. Since SE owns Taito and its hefty stable of IPs, I'd rather see Rastan, Ninjawarriors, Renegade, or anything else of theirs sold off to someone who wants to revive and honor those great games. Puzzle de Pon/Bust-a-Move might be too good to let go, though I guess.

Top Bottom