• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Star Wars KOTOR reboot in the works?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Gaming journalist Liam Robertson recently made some really interesting comments on his Patreon page. According to him, EA’s BioWare Austin is currently in the process of “prototyping” a new Knights Of The Old Republic game. Robertson didn’t quote any sources on this information, but the story is very interesting nonetheless, matching with previous reports.

“I’ve learned now that [BioWare Austin is] pretty much now exclusively working on Star Wars games and they’re going to be doing that for the indefinite future,” he said during a podcast segment. “What they’re currently working on right now—and I have this on good authority—is a sort of remake/revival of Knights of the Old Republic. I don’t know when this is set to come out, but it has been in development for a little while now. I don’t really know how that game’ll end up,” he said. “I’ve heard that it isn’t exactly a remake anymore, but it started as a remake/revival. Now it’s kind of going from that blueprint in sort of its own original thing. I guess we’ll see what that turns out to be, but they are prototyping it right now.”

Source: https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2017/04/rumor-star-wars-kotor-reboot-in-the-works.html

Close if old. My face is tired.

To me, KOTOR's gameplay hasn't aged well (while the story is still awesome). An updated version or newer game would be amazing.

I would definitely be interested in a new KoToR game running on Frostbite. Then again isn't Visceral working on a Star Wars game as well?

TreIII

I was hoping something like this would happen, considering the various whispers of a "Destiny-like Star Wars" rumor pops up around these parts, before.

And come what may, Revan still gets toys and what-not, so hopefully that's more proof positive that they're not entirely done with that character and his setting.

I'd be excited for this. I wonder how they'd upgrade the gameplay though. I kind of want real time combat now rather than the turn based.

shandy706

Twist: (or really not a twist) It's a SWTOR expansion pack.

Is he sure it isn't just yet another SWTOR expansion?

Please no.

How are Bioware Austin?

Doing well thanks. How are you?

I'd be excited for this. I wonder how they'd upgrade the gameplay though. I kind of want real time combat now rather than the turn based.

Ehhhhhhhh......how about an option for both, lol.

komplanen

• EA's changed a lot
  • Bioware's changed a lot
  • The Star Wars has changed, especially the role of the EE
  • The MMO happened
  • The development team is most likely not the same

Hmm I don't think people should set their expectations too high.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
BioWare Austin was hiring for a new project that appeared separate from SWTOR and the New IP by the Mass Effect leads, but it also seemed at least a Destiny/The Division level of online.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1184198

BioWare is seeking a qualified Senior Lead Server Engineer for a new, unannounced BioWare IP. This role will direct a team of software engineers to create the backend systems that will drive online play for this exciting new game. The successful candidate will have expert knowledge of and experience in the design, implementation, and continuing support of large scale real-time client/server applications using primarily C++. Extensive experience with and knowledge of multi-tier client/server architectures as well as scalable distributed systems are required. Experience developing PC or console games with significant online elements is a strong plus. Experience with current cloud-based computing solutions and technology is beneficial.

Required Skills
Architectural expertise in designing distributed simulation systems, particularly in an MMO or similar online context

Had a feeling it wouldn't stay secret for long lol.

Gaider was working on a new Bioware IP, I wonder if it's this game and he left after his work on the story was done.
This is separate from that.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
I would love it, but would be cautious

Keep the story and everything else intact, just completely rework the boring combat and the graphics, and maybe add in some cut content and I'll be happy as hell

I mean whether the rumor is true or not, EA wasn't just gonna sit on that franchise once they got the Star Wars license. That'd be idiotic.

Lister

Banned
As long as the writing is up to snuff, and they don't remove the narrative agency in favor of cutscene, open world busy work, cutscence, etc I'm in.

It wouldn't be the people who made the new ME, right?

Floex

Please no.

Doing well thanks. How are you?

3kiVeCY.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom