• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR - Suikoden VI on psp? (gamefront)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pellham

Banned
Alaluef said:
I'm surprised you guys are so console centered around this title. I think RPGs and SRPGs are perfect for portables.

Not really. Maybe if you still live with your parents and go on long car trips with them...

firex

badcrumble said:
Did Suikoden V establish a game-clear save for Suiko VI to load someday?
No. None of them have done that except 1 and 2. and I guess technically 3, but in 3 all you could do was reuse the hero's name from Suikoden 2 later on.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Pellham said:
Not really. Maybe if you still live with your parents and go on long car trips with them...
Was that really necessary?

I just appreciate to play my games on different places, at work intervals, etc. If anything, when you get older you get busier and have less time to play, so portables are the way to go.

zoku88

badcrumble said:
Did Suikoden V establish a game-clear save for Suiko VI to load someday?
Some RPGs check to see if you saved at the last save point (Suikoden never did this, but I think another series, did?)

Pellham

Banned
Alaluef said:
Was that really necessary?

I just appreciate to play my games on different places, at work intervals, etc. If anything, when you get older you get busier and have less time to play, so portables are the way to go.

Yes it was necessary.

And you are exactly right, which is why puzzle games and other "short burst" style of play games are more better suited to portables. When I play an RPG, i'm usually playing for 2-3 hour long sessions, not for 15 minutes.

This would be the game that makes my owning a PSP worthwhile. Really, really worthwhile.

I'd like to see this one use 2's graphical style, but is they use 5, I won't be disappointed.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Pellham said:
Yes it was necessary.

And you are exactly right, which is why puzzle games and other "short burst" style of play games are more better suited to portables. When I play an RPG, i'm usually playing for 2-3 hour long sessions, not for 15 minutes.
Fair enough. Not sure why you thought it was needed to say "only if you still live with your parents" instead of poiting that out first anyway. People have different tastes.

WalkMan

Banned
firex said:
No. None of them have done that except 1 and 2. and I guess technically 3, but in 3 all you could do was reuse the hero's name from Suikoden 2 later on.
A bit more than that, all the returning characters came back with stat and level boosts as well as gaining a few plays based on the prior games.

I think most likely they'll use V's art-style for the PSP if true. If the rumor proves to be true then looks like I'm repurchasing a PSP.

Yaweee

zoku88 said:
Some RPGs check to see if you saved at the last save point (Suikoden never did this, but I think another series, did?)

Arc the Lad 2->3, for a few reasons.

1) Arc 1+2 is a clear duology. 3 was never intended.

2) Between the completely fucking retarded point-of-no-return and the last boss' extreme difficulty, the vast majority of players could never finish the game to reach a 'clear save' if one were to exist.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
firex said:

Actually if you had the save data from 1 &2 on your PS2 memory card, you could perform plays based on 1 and 2 in the bar area of the castle.

EDIT: Oh, someone already said that, nvm.

PLEASE BE TRUE. PLEASE BE TRUE.

While it'd be cool if it looked the way Konami's Suikoden II port for PSP looked, in full-resolution 2D, I won't be disappointed if that's not the case. It'd be a long shot.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Pellham said:
Yes it was necessary.

Totally agreed with you, I can't see how people actively encourage portable RPGs. Unless you have a loooong commute time or you travel a lot on long trips. If I'm gonna make time to devote 2+ hours to an RPG, I'd much rather it be on my big screen TV, instead of hurting my neck by staring down at a tiny handheld. That said, I'll take a new, quality RPG any way I can get in this day and age.

djtiesto said:
Totally agreed with you, I can't see how people actively encourage portable RPGs. Unless you have a loooong commute time or you travel a lot on long trips. If I'm gonna make time to devote 2+ hours to an RPG, I'd much rather it be on my big screen TV, instead of hurting my neck by staring down at a tiny handheld. That said, I'll take a new, quality RPG any way I can get in this day and age.

Me, right here. I'm one of those obnoxious folks who encourages it.

The PSP/DS generation of handhelds has totally converted me to the idea of portable RPGs. I know it's not for everyone, but I appreciate the freedom of being able to take what I'm playing to any room, outside, wherever. I like not having to interrupt steady play of an RPG if I travel somewhere for a week or two. That's what happened while I was playing Suikoden V. When I was about two-thirds through the game, I left to go out of town for a few weeks. Once I returned, I found it was somewhat difficult to get back into the game right as I left off. I really like the idea of having RPGs "unchained" from home consoles.

Besides, I just got done playing through Suikoden I and II on the PSP, and enjoyed it every bit as much as if I played it on a console. Playing a new Suikoden on a handheld suits me just fine.

Mau ®

S6 could end up being one of the most high profile releases for the PSP this year. Considering there isnt much on the way. (Dsidia, KH..?)

zoku88

Yaweee said:
Arc the Lad 2->3, for a few reasons.

1) Arc 1+2 is a clear duology. 3 was never intended.

2) Between the completely fucking retarded point-of-no-return and the last boss' extreme difficulty, the vast majority of players could never finish the game to reach a 'clear save' if one were to exist.
Not the game was I thinking of, but man playing the end of the game must've sucked :lol :lol

Didn't either Xenosaga I or II not have a game clear save?

Tabris

There is 1 reason and 1 reason only where this could possibly be the greatest news ever, and that's if it convinces SCEA to allow Suikoden 1+2 to be released before, same time or after Suikoden VI came out.

Barakov

Tabris said:
There is 1 reason and 1 reason only where this could possibly be the greatest news ever, and that's if it convinces SCEA to allow Suikoden 1+2 to be released before, same time or after Suikoden VI came out.

Yeah.....that'll happen.

JaCy

Suikoden VI on anything is good news, but I'd still prefer it on a console though. Even the PS2 would be better imo.

Pellham

Banned
I'm actually not opposed to Suikoden VI on PSP, because I have a PSP-to-component cable so I can easily play it on my tv/LCD (and probably will).

Only thing that I fear is that loading times will be pretty shitty (and I say this because Konami has a poor track record of optimizing loading speed, not because it's the PSP - see Suikoden V). I need to stop being lazy and get custom firmware installed so I can load the game off the memory stick...

Suikoden 1 was approved by the esrb for psn release, so Suikoden I+II psp is basically irrelevant at this point since if they plan on release 1, they have got to plan on releasing II.

:lol I can't wait to see the prices of Suikoden 1 and 2 drop on ebay as a result of their PSN releases.

oh yes! PSP or PS2, i dont care. im happy about any news about suikoden VI at this point. i wouldnt count out suikoden I & II on PSP just yet, especially after this rumor.

man, im so happy. please dont disappoint konami!

Kevtones

Mets39 said:
Dude, be careful with this

Thanks, but I meant it sincerely. I don't have any desire to get a PSP and I love the Suikoden series. I'd hate to miss out on a new installment.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Tabris said:
But it's 2D which means it's not epic enough!!

Eh, it's not like the three PS2 Suikoden titles really strove to push any technical boundaries. The series has always been pretty modest, graphically. That's not to suggest the games aren't wonderful looking in their own way, but I doubt Konami's really looking to show up Square-Enix anytime soon.

I don't think even a 3D Suikoden on PSP would be a dramatic downshift in visuals from the PS2 games.

lordmrw

Himuro said:
What the fuck is wrong with you.

I mean seriously. People actually disliked 5? What the hell? Is it the slow beginning? While I do agree that the first few hours drag, the story payoff makes it worthwhile.

Blackjack

lordmrw said:
I mean seriously. People actually disliked 5? What the hell? Is it the slow beginning? While I do agree that the first few hours drag, the story payoff makes it worthwhile.
I haaaaaaaaaaated Suikoden 5. It's my least favorite in the series.

It was the horrible beginning, coupled with horrible characters, a horrible plot, and annoying load times.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Blackjack said:
I haaaaaaaaaaated Suikoden 5. It's my least favorite in the series.

It was the horrible beginning, coupled with horrible characters, a horrible plot, and annoying load times.

I LOVED 5, was okay with 4 (it introduced me to the series), was rather impartial to 3 (the castle lord was the only main character I liked, oddly), and really don't like 2
I spend most of the game wanting to beat the crap out of Joey, I was absolutely frustrated by him.
Haven't played 1 yet.

Blackjack

vanguardian1 said:
I LOVED 5, was okay with 4 (it introduced me to the series), was rather impartial to 3 (the castle lord was the only main character I liked, oddly), and really don't like 2
I spend most of the game wanting to beat the crap out of Joey, I was absolutely frustrated by him.
Haven't played 1 yet.
Three is my personal favorite. I liked 2, but I definitely feel it's overrated by most people. I also really enjoyed 4, which is like a mortal sin to most fans of the series. :/

3, 4, 2, 1, 5 All other orders are lesser. :p

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Tabris said:
i already have suikoden 2 running on popstation....

do you want this because of the widescreen and higher resolution? is there extra content in the japanese 1+2 psp release?

tehbear

lordmrw said:

Seriously. I loved 1, and I think it just kept going down for me. Especially 4 and 5. Don't like the characters in 5, and it was a horrible drag that killed my enthusiasm even as it was suppose to pick up. Suikoden in the beginning felt like a FRESH jrpg, eventually it just felt like every other generic thing out there. I don't really need it to change (I mean god knows I really don't care that Tales doesn't), I just need quality, likable characters, and a decent story.

Clearly the story paid you off, it didn't for me.

Odd twilight zone.... praise for Suiko Tactics and hate for Suiko V? Anything is possible I suppose. Anyhow, I want a new Suiko ASAP. Badly. But I would prefer it on a console rather than a handheld. I'm not a fan of storytelling on handhelds; I mostly just enjoy it for core gameplay (e.g. FFT battles). Either Wii or PS3 would be fine.
firex said:
A clear-game file? Pretty sure S5 does have that. It has NewGame+ through it. You beat the game and you're able to save afterwards, and when you load that new file, it's a NewGame+. I think that's how it worked at least; I did it last summer so it's been a little while.
zoku88 said:
That's how S1, and I think S2, does it. It's not actually a unique or independant complete-game file. For S1, it needs to be a game saved right at the last save point in the castle. I can't remember for sure if S2 was the same, though I think it was. Which means that even if any Suikoden never had a unique complete-game file, they should technically be able to just look for any regular save file and pull its data (if the tech is there). That's why S2 and S3 did; they just made the 'castle save point' the pre-req. No unique complete-game file required.

Cipherr

No, I want this on a console please goddamnit. Why. Just make a cheapo version for a console, it doesnt have to be all HD etc. Hell even make it for the PS2. Why a handheld? Epic fail man.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
If true, they should release more PSP games on PSN to play on PS3.

I understand why Sony won't do it, but they should. Make more cross-compatibility between PSP and PS3, making the PSP an almost portable PS3.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
:O

I hope it's true! New Suikoden for anything except cell phones please (or DS because it'd probably try to be realistic 3D).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom