• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Super Street Fighter V is happening; free update for existing owners

stn

I'm in! More Street Fighter is always welcome. Will definitely try Sagat, Oro, and C. Viper this time around. Hopefully we'll finally get that 3S Alex skin, too (seriously).

Lulubop

One could argue that Valle is downplaying the rumor & going for a "lucky guess" option select. It could really go either way, but Riku's.....reputation.....has me skeptical.

Riku has a history of piggybacking on credible leaks, so take everything he says with a massive grain of salt. The Abgail/Menat/Zeku leak originated from an EventHubs commenter way back in October.

For what it's worth, a few months ago he said that MvCI would be re-revealed at E3, which he was wrong about -- there was a big press tour in April. He also said that Leon, Captain Commando, Venom, Black Panther, and Songbird would be in MvCI, and as soon as the actual roster leaked he backpedaled and said all of those characters would be DLC. I personally don't think he knows anything.

Like why even give this guy credibility? It's all piggybacking off a Valle post. Even if the Valle is right about the actually S3 character the rest of it is just some made up shit by Riku

myco666

I want a retail copy with all the stuff on disc without having to download anything otherwise i really won't care, i'm much closer to buy Tekken than SF5 which if you told me a couple of years ago i would have said that i would have told that you are nuts.

Then you won't care for couple of more years hopefully.

Begbie

So if this is a free update to the original version wouldn't it make sense to just pickup the original Street Fighter V for cheaper?

Scotia

Banned
Forever number
MyV8cLw.png
on the Tier lists.
One spot above Alex

200.gif

Seijuro

If this is true, "Super" is probably the nametag for year 3 then, and the "free update" will consist of said Arcade Mode (which was promised long ago) and other modes , but people thinking that the six characters are free are going to be disappointed. They will be the Season Pass 3.

So if this is a free update to the original version wouldn't it make sense to just pickup the original Street Fighter V for cheaper?

There will always only be an original version with the base characters and whatever modes they added since then via patches and are planning to add. Season Pass Characters may go on sale sometime, but since the game is basically an online game it won't matter if you buy the base SF5 now or wait until they rename it "Super SF5", it will be exactly the same content which is free at that time.

emb

Sounds like it's nothing more than an update? Disappointing.

I know they said they wouldn't, but I'm hoping for them to do a disc at some point that includes all the DLC characters, balance changes, etc. I have the base game, and it plays great, but not really interested in the digital stuff.

Chances are it'll include the Season 1 and Season 2 pass alongside it so it'll most likely be cheaper. Base game only includes the 16 characters that were there at launch.

The Deluxe Edition that includes the base game + Season 1 pass + Season 2 pass was actually on sale on US PSN a week or two ago for 40$.

Neoxon

I'd imagine that a new retail release, if any, would also include the S1 & S2 characters and maybe a S3 Character Pass.

The Hermit

Ok, that would pull me back again.

Was watching some 2.5 version Claw and Gief videos yesterday and I was getting warmed up to return.

Arcade mode would finally make this game complete.

Gestault

Unless I missed some clarification, wouldn't a Super version as a free update clash with the season-pass structure of vanilla SFV?

If it just means an arcade and balance update, it would be good, but as meaningless as naming convenctions often are, "Super" for Street Fighter games have tended to mean a full new set of characters included, in addition.

Tizoc

On the one hand, the SF5 digital ver. would be a big download.
On the other a retail Super SF5 copy would require less downloading :X

Unless I missed some clarification, wouldn't a Super version as a free update clash with the season-pass structure of vanilla SFV?
If you only have the base game, you probably don't get any characters for free. You still gotta buy a season pass or earn them with FM.

The structure remains the same, they're just calling it "Super" because with so much new stuff it's probably best to do a rebranding scenario.

Wouldn't it be weird if they give out 6 new characters out for free with this update...while at the same time charging 6 bucks for each new character in a season?

This might be bullshit.

Marvel

could never
I really hope this is true though, I need a reason to play. Sakura and new extra CA's would be dope.

BadWolf

Not really, Super just adds new modes, mechanics etc.

You would still need to buy characters, stages etc. with FM or real money.

Gestault

The new characters would probably be part of Season 3.

If you only have the base game, you probably don't get any characters for free. You still gotta buy a season pass or earn them with FM.

The structure remains the same, they're just calling it "Super" because with so much new stuff it's probably best to do a rebranding scenario.

Gotcha gotcha. Which makes sense.

Neoxon

Didn't you say super would never happen, I thought you were a capcom spokesperson
I said that they wouldn't split the player base, though I feared (& still fear) that naming the update Super would cause backlash.

All you need to do is imagine Q in HD getting the same treatment as Urien and he'll be a lot of players main in no time
Oh god yes, he animated like water in a river in SFIII.

mollipen

Wouldn't it be weird if they give out 6 new characters out for free with this update...while at the same time charging 6 bucks for each new character in a season?

This might be bullshit.

If true, it's probably simply the case that you get a Season 3 pass for those characters if you buy the Super version of the game.

jett

D-Member
Is Capcom really dumb enough to create another shitshow of a story mode despite the fact that the first one did not move the sales needle at all? It would be such an unbelievable waste of resources. AGAIN. If anything it would create a counterproductive effect on me.

Anyway, rebranding SFV into a new package is definitely the way to go to add life to this fucking thing and I've been saying this for a long-ass time.

Personally I don't put any credence into this rumor though.

This might be bullshit.

The title/balance updates would be free for everyone.

New characters would not be free to those that already own the game, obviously. They would come with the game for the people that purchase "Super SFV" for the first time.

If true, it's probably simply the case that you get a Season 3 pass for those characters if you buy the Super version of the game.

And Capcom is just going to give out all those characters for free to existing owners? I doubt Capcom would ever be so charitable but let's hope I'm wrong!

Ah, I get what you guys are saying. They'll release all the characters but still charge for each individual one, unless you buy the updated SKU.

I just didn't think they would do that and only release it as a big update but that would have no impact on sales really, so I guess they have to put out a new SKU.

Neoxon

I bought the ultimate edition recently in sale. Didn't play though, is E Honda included? If not he isn't coming to SF5?
E. Honda isn't in this, & I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he never makes it in (as I've said before, Honda's more iconic than popular). Though seeing as he's a World Warrior, he definitely has a chance at returning.

Lulubop

And Capcom is just going to give out all those characters for free to existing owners? I doubt Capcom would ever be so charitable but let's hope I'm wrong!

Yea, this shit is fake. If anything it's Valle hinting/leaking S3 characters and some random dude on the internet making it bigger than what it is.

mollipen

No? Why would existing owners be expecting them? It'd be just like buying the game + a S1/S2 character pass right now.

Top Bottom