• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Switch developer information leaked. Reveals A TON incl. hardware specs

JoeM86

I doubt there will be badges.

At launch! Mwuahahahahaa

TET2zTX.jpg

ReitStuff

Doesn't the 4K thing kinda prove that this is fake? Even if it's just 4K video streaming, why wouldn't Nintendo have mentioned this already?

Schnozberry

Still think even if we get higher clocks and such in docked mode that the unit will be bandwidth starved at 25 Maxwell vs 50 Pascal.

The bandwidth per SM isn't that bad. Plus the cache sizes are completely left off this document for the GPU. That part may have been customized.

Doesn't the 4K thing kinda prove that this is fake? Even if it's just 4K video streaming, why wouldn't Nintendo have mentioned this already?

No video apps at launch, so nothing will be in 4K at launch.

Once they have those apps ready, they'll probably mention that fact.

There are a lot of new info tidbits here. It also seems to confirm some things we weren't sure of, like the hardware specs. (That is if we assume this is real.)

The specs appear to be based on the July devkits as we've seen these rumored specs tied to this time before. It's good to have additional confirmation of it though.

But this does not tell us the final specs.

Are you talking about MicroSD support? They've already confirmed that it fully supports SDXC up to 2TB, even though those cards don't even exist yet.

It listed 32GB as the largest game card, not SD card. Hopefully that's very out of date.

Dystify

This is from July 2016. Things may have changed since then. If you look at the files and images it's really hard to call this fake.

BY2K

Membero Americo
If I'm reading this correctly.

Ts6Qt0C.png

1. You can have the same Nintendo Account on different Switch's.
2. You cannot have the same Nintendo Account on two different profile on the same Switch.
3. One profile on a Switch cannot have two different Nintendo Accounts.

Jaagen

It uses kernel mode switching, so when the A57's are active, the A53's are not. All Tegra X1's function this way.

Ahh, I forgot about that. Hopefully there will be customisations to allow all cores to be accessed at all times. Otherwise, it seems like a waste of silicon.

Roo

The machine has the necessary hardware to output 4K video. Why would it be fake just because Nintendo didn't talk about it? That doesn't even make sense

Oppo

That's the whole point of the web applet I assume

yes, don't see how that changes my answer.

a limited-ability web "sheet" like the iPhone pops can have a lot of problems, since it is expecting a "real browser"... and if they put enough of Webkit in there to actually behave properly in a number of given situations, that makes the actual lack of exposed browser super-annoying.

you could still attack/exploit a Switch with a malformed page on local wifi so I don't see what this gets them in terms of security. they are being weirdly paranoid again.

I feel like people are reading the chart incorrectly. The chart says hardware specs..meaning what the hardware is capable of..and then the next column is application..meaning what is actually being used by the Switch (limited). The application says 1080p at 60 FPS. The 4K mention is the hardware spec, and we already know the hardware is capable of it based on the ShieldTV spec. That doesn't mean the Switch will actually allow it, though.

Of course I could be wrong though...it's just how I am reading the chart.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

Ts6Qt0C.png

2. You cannot have the same Nintendo Account on two different profile on the same Switch.

Well, I mean, that's kind of logical.

ReitStuff

No video apps at launch, so nothing will be in 4K at launch.

Once they have those apps ready, they'll probably mention that fact.

Maybe...I still think that mentioning 4K video streaming functionality coming in the future is better messaging than saying nothing at all.

LordOfChaos

Sounds like what we "knew" already, I don't see any surprises. Maximum clock speed of 2GHz doesn't necessarily mean it would run at that, everything else is in line with previous rumours.

HD Rumble was always a cute name for a linear actuator, just like Taptic Engine ;)

Umi88

seems like this may confirm voice chat through headset ? . Wonder why the smartphone app then. Nintendo still needs to clarify some things and launch day is on ~17 days :/

Ts6Qt0C.png

I read it the same way.

Ts6Qt0C.png

that... looks like a correct interpretation

wonder if you can play other users games? so like you could buy only one digital copy for example.
Well, I mean, that's kind of logical.
nothing is logical about nintendo's account system

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member

Ts6Qt0C.png

Makes sense

Baleoce

"Friend Presence is a feature that uses the Internet to convey information in real time about the online status of friends and the applications they are playing. Among possibilities, we see this being used in the application to check whether friends are in the joinable state, and to use the Friend List system feature screen to show what applications friends are playing."

Intruiging that they go to such lengths to explain this when this is something they've already done on Wii U.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
The specs appear to be based on the July devkits as we've seen these rumored specs tied to this time before. It's good to have additional confirmation of it though.

But this does not tell us the final specs.

The specs really hadn't changed from these by the October leak at DF either, and those were listed by Nintendo in the documentation as final, anyone still clinging to updated / different clocks to these at this point is delusional.

Ahh, I forgot about that. Hopefully there will be customisations to allow all cores to be accessed at all times. Otherwise, it seems like a waste of silicon.

That isn't going to happen, the best you can hope for from big.LITTLE is heterogenous mode, when a 57 core and a 53 core are paired, and either one or the other is active, depending on load requirement, the point of big.LITTLE is battery saving, not increased performance.

Ts6Qt0C.png

I wonder if multiple user accounts can be logged in at once, like on PS4 and Xbox One, or if it'll be like the WiiU and only one user account is logged in at once.

Ts6Qt0C.png

Yeah that looks right. They also mentioned save data not transferring automatically between two devices with the same Nintendo Account, so I think that suggests we can redownload already purchased titles onto a different Switch. Doesn't confirm it, but it does suggest it to me.

The specs really hadn't changed from these by the October leak at DF either, and those were listed by Nintendo in the documentation as final, anyone still clinging to updated / different clocks to these at this point is delusional.

Incorrect. Read the DF article again, they explicitly said they had no confirmation on core configuration, and assumed some Pascal features would be in the final hardware. They reported the clock speeds as final for launch, but not the actual specs.

_woLf

It still completely blows my mind that they didn't go Pascal for this too ensure better longevity.

Oh well. Nintendo gonna Nintendo.

polychron

why can't it do 4k at 60 when its just a display resolution, its not like games are gonna be rendering at that

Judging by the fact it's specifically 4K, 30FPS, it's gonna be down the the HDMI standard supported by the system. HDMI 1.4 only supported 3840*2160@30, while 2.0 added support for 3840*2160@60.

Edit: Beaten like some scrambled eggs

tebunker

Banned

Ts6Qt0C.png

I think you got it.

I guess thiss confirmes that the leaked image before the Switch reveal was true:

RXfrQ7B.png

EDIT: Beaten.

Anyone paying attention to the device in the October trailer should have known that it was either real or a bizarre elaborate fake by someone with access to the real thing. there were too many similarities to ignore.

ReitStuff

I feel like people are reading the chart incorrectly. The chart says hardware specs..meaning what the hardware is capable of..and then the next column is application..meaning what is actually being used by the Switch (limited). The application says 1080p at 60 FPS. The 4K mention is the hardware spec, and we already know the hardware is capable of it based on the ShieldTV spec. That doesn't mean the Switch will actually allow it, though.

Of course I could be wrong though...it's just how I am reading the chart.

Ok, yeah that actually makes more sense. Some things I still don't get though. Like the right column for the USB row says 'disabled.' How can that be true, hasn't Nintendo confirmed that Switch has USB ports?

Judging by the fact it's specifically 4K, 30FPS, it's gonna be down the the HDMI standard supported by the system. HDMI 1.4 only supported 3840*2160@30, while 2.0 added support for 3840*2160@60.

Which is mostly ok. Most video content is 24 FPS, some is 30. 60 FPS is incredibly uncommon for video content, it only really exists on Youtube. I don't know if there's any 60fps content on Netflix at all.

Oregano

It still completely blows my mind that they didn't go Pascal for this too ensure better longevity.

Oh well. Nintendo gonna Nintendo.

It might not have been an option for the volumes they want to producea right now. The new Shield still uses an X1.

Rodin

I guess three cores available to games is the biggest new confirmation here, so no little cores running the OS I guess.

Yeah, that's idiotic. How much would 2 A35 cost, and how much power would they use? I don't get it lol.

We really need those foxconn clocks to be real hahaha

True no cache info in this leak.

It's not that bad especially for handheld mode, but I still think it hampers higher clocked all out power level in docked mode.

It says "shared VRAM" though, whatever that means i don't think it's that same pool.

I'm really trying to figure out how the console would be able to run MK8D and Fast at 1080p with that bandwidth though.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The bandwidth per SM isn't that bad. Plus the cache sizes are completely left off this document for the GPU. That part may have been customized.

True no cache info in this leak.

It's not that bad especially for handheld mode, but I still think it hampers higher clocked all out power level in docked mode.

Ok, yeah that actually makes more sense. Some things I still don't get though. Like the right column for the USB row says 'disabled.' How can that be true, hasn't Nintendo confirmed that Switch has USB ports?

they were disabled in the dev kits delivered back in June.

edit: lol I also cannot read. this is it

That row means available to application, in other words games, it just means games can't access the USB directly.

Top Bottom