• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Syphon Filter 4 & God Of War 4 Set To Be Announced In Febuary

Mengetsu

Did a search lock if old please

According to the latest issue of UK-based gaming publication PLAY, two brand new exclusive PS3 titles are gearing up for a full-blown reveal in February. Both Syphon Filter 4 and God of War IV are said to be deep in development, and will get a full announcement next month. In the “10 Games That Will Be Announced This Year” feature, PLAY states that the long-rumored Syphon Filter 4 is currently in development at SCE London Studio, with the espionage title pegged for a Winter 2012 release.

“As far as our spies tell us, Syphon Filter 4 will be announced and released during 2012 – they’re not often wrong either. Developed by SCE London Studio (once thought to be Sony Bend), it will see a return to the world of shooting, espionage and Gabe Logan’s superb name.”

Sony Santa Monica is also supposedly readying God of War IV for a February announcement, with PLAY teasingly hinting that a recent job listing for an online developer suggests that the action-packed title will feature online play. Both of the titles listed have an announcement window of February 2012 attached, leading many to believe that a barrage of new details may be coming sooner rather than later.

“Sony Santa Monica’s call for an online dev to join its ranks has many thinking the inevitable God of War IV will include online play. We could stop and ask why, but then we could also ask there’s another game when GOW III was meant to be Kratos’s last outing. We’re not complaining though.”

Source: http://sillegamer.com/2012/01/23/sy...et-to-be-announced-in-february-play-feb-2012/

Im so ready for a true sequel to Syphon Filter if true!

Syphon Filter reboot here I come. I predict new main character (not Gabe Logan), and fans outcry since it's not by Bend.

but I still hope it's good, I love Syphon Filter.

edit: I hope Syphon Filter become the 'Mission Impossible' of the genre. focus on the team rather than a one man army like MGS or Splinter Cell. after 2 SF psp, I become a bit attached to the cast, Gabe, Lian Xing, Theresa, then there's the demolition guy Bishop etc.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So... Who will Kratos kill in GOW4?

def sim

Syphon Filter 4? Yikes. That franchise is not relevant enough to warrant a sequel, do a remake and try to reintroduce it to the market instead.

AAK

GOW4 I'm pretty excited for. Syphon Filter personally isn't for me. I'll probably only anticipate if it plays like Vanquish.

apana

I think God of War 4 will have Kratos be reborn and kill the Norse Gods. Or maybe we get to play as Loki. Odin, your son has returned! Anyways I'm game, give me God of War 5 on PS3 as well.

A new console Syphon Filter (preferably by Bend, but I'll take what I can get) is certainly my number one wish, but these rumors always turn out to be false. And why wouldn't they, gamers have bad taste, the series just isn't popular.

New Syphon Filter by Slant Six. Since they said they have AAA games for 2012 and they already have a working relationship with Sony.

New Syphon Filter by Slant Six. Since they said they have AAA games for 2012 and they already have a working relationship with Sony.

FUCK THAT.

Syphon Filter reboot by Sony Bend and SCE London is fine by me. Bend can use the Uncharted engine because they are cool with ND like that.

Syphon Filter 4?

6Tt5h.jpg

Loved the first 2. Fantastic middle ground between stealth and action that I played again and again on the PSOne (and subsequently PSP with the incredible Bend series).

Made Tasers the coolest thing since sliced bread.

I will cry manly tears if it turns out to be Slant Six.

evolution

Wasn't Sony London making eight days? Maybe we will see that tech put to some use. Seeing the new vid doc for Max Payne reminded me of it.

FUCK THAT.

Syphon Filter reboot by Sony Bend and SCE London is fine by me. Bend can use the Uncharted engine because they are cool with ND like that.

If it's London then it's probably running on an updated version of the Eight Days engine. That looked perfect for a stealth game.

Takao

Banned
Well, it wasn't popular on the PSP. It was popular back in the PSone days.

If you believe that post Garvin may or may not have made it's definitely the series. SCEA gave the franchise another shot on PS2 with the ports and those didn't do well. The nail in the coffin seems to have been Bend's Resistance title selling better than both SFs...

Reading how does it work? The thread lists Sony London...

Don't make people throw up.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming

Why would Sony do that when they have a much better team that cherishes the series and wants to actually make the game

If you believe that post Garvin may or may not have made it's definitely the series. SCEA gave the franchise another shot on PS2 with the ports and those didn't do well. The nail in the coffin seems to have been Bend's Resistance title selling better than both SFs...

Omega Strain (PS2 SF) sucked major balls though. SF 3 kinda sucked too.

SF1 and 2 were superb, fantastic games though. I bought SF DM for PSP but didn't play it because of the horrible controls that the PSP offers so I can't comment on the quality.

Syphon Filter would need a full on reboot like Tomb Raider though IMO.

demolitio

Don't let Slant Six ruin another great shooter series unless they finally have a stable team together. The team for SOCOM was thrown together rather quickly on a small budget while the core members of the studio had never developed a console game before. So while their leads might have been decent, most of the team was hired in a flash and they had to build their first console engine with that team. So Sony let that game go out to die which is a shame since it was actually pretty decent if it wasn't so damn buggy.

I have nothing against Slant Six but don't want a repeat unless they're ready to handle the big leagues. My friend had plenty to say after he left the studio after S:C but Sony was to blame for a lot too. I hope their RE game is good though. They just aren't the guys to go to yet for a big debut of a very popular IP's first game this generation. I'd love to see them work on some Vita games though because their PSP games were good and I think they'd do fine with a lesser title. Their staff was pretty much wiped clean after S:C while keeping the good guys so at least I'm happy that we wouldn't be stuck with a quickly thrown together team this time.

They need to realize the strength of some of their older IP's and how they're quite unique so they better fund a big project with a good team and plenty of time. Note that Syphon Filter was spotted on the mo-cap studio's list of games the same time SOCOM 4 was so this should be in the works for a while now so that gives me hope.

As for God of War, I'd love to see some ancient Egyptian god warfare. There's so many great cultures they can focus on or remain with the current mythology and I'm sure it'll be great.

theBishop

Banned
Any chance they can copy Splinter Cell's Spies vs Mercs multiplayer mode?

How has this gen not gotten an update of that?

Well, it wasn't popular on the PSP. It was popular back in the PSone days.

I'd say it's because the games were trapped on the PSP.

edit: well then

It felt to me like the series saw a sharp decline in popularity with SF3. And the one PS2 SF they did make seemingly barely made an impact at all. To be fair it was the one SF that wasn't a first-rate game, but it wasn't bad either. I think if they felt there was a market for this series on console (and I'm sure they researched this to some extent) they would have tried to do something with it. Even Sony tries to make money sometimes. But nobody knows this series anymore, it's only remembered by diehards.

Even back when it was popular, it was underappreciated and unfairly maligned as a "Metal Gear clone". The brand just has a sort of stigma about it, always did.

The series was definitely popular at one point

"Syphon Filter was one of the top-selling games of 1999 due to its revolutionary gameplay," said Andrew House, vice president, marketing, Sony Computer Entertainment America. "Syphon Filter 2 raises the bar for the action-adventure genre with intense, international environments, enhanced weaponry and thrilling storyline, as well as an edge-of-your-seat two person mode."

http://psx.ign.com/articles/076/076539p1.html

SF3 and Omega Strain ended up hurting the series because they weren't particularly good games. They moved it to the PSP and the quality picked back up, but even the most popular franchises had difficulty selling on that platform. I definitely think that PS3 release could turn the series around in terms of popularity. Well, as long as the quality is still there.

FreeMufasa

So much for Sony slowing down on PS3 development.

GOW4
SF4
Twisted Metal
The Last Story
Sly 4
Jak Collection

--

Ni Kuni
Journey

Takao

Banned
Wasn't Sony London making eight days? Maybe we will see that tech put to some use. Seeing the new vid doc for Max Payne reminded me of it.

Eight Days, and The Getaway were Sony London's projects. They were shelved to go make shovelware.

Omega Strain (PS2 SF) sucked major balls though. SF 3 kinda sucked too.

SF1 and 2 were superb, fantastic games though. I bought SF DM for PSP but didn't play it because of the horrible controls that the PSP offers so I can't comment on the quality.

Syphon Filter would need a full on reboot like Tomb Raider though IMO.

I was referring to the Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror, and Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow PS2 ports not selling well. They're great games on either platform.

Ask Capcom the same question.

Capcom has no internal teams available, that's why they outsource. Sony's got tonnes of studios.

def sim

Any chance they can copy Splinter Cell's Spies vs Mercs multiplayer mode?

How has this gen not gotten an update of that?

Too complicated to attract a large user base and be used as selling point. I loved it but the learning curve will probably be off putting to many fans.

The series was definitely popular at one point

http://psx.ign.com/articles/076/076539p1.html

SF3 and Omega Strain ended up hurting the series because they weren't particularly good games. They moved it to the PSP and the quality picked back up, but even the most popular franchises had difficulty selling on that platform. I definitely think that PS3 release could turn the series around in terms of popularity. Well, as long as the quality is still there.

what if it's a Vita title? I'm actually okay with it

Takao

Banned
Even back when it was popular, it was underappreciated and unfairly maligned as a "Metal Gear clone". The brand just has a sort of stigma about it, always did.

It's funny you call it a MGS clone, when it was only made to be a Goldeneye clone, lol.

demolitio

So much for Sony slowing down on PS3 development.

GOW4
SF4
Twisted Metal
The Last Story
Sly 4
Jak Collection

--

Ni Kuni
Journey

That's one thing no one can say Sony is behind in...They have enough first-party IP's to always make me feel comfortable about their systems because I know plenty of good games are always in the works. They always please me with exclusives. :)

Top Bottom