• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Tales of Innocence R coming Stateside?

StuBurns

Banned
It's whatever the most recently announced Tales game is that people clamor for. I hope a new Tales is announced soon so you guys can move onto that one and forget all about Xillia.
Maybe there are people doing that, but I'm not one of them.

I don't care at all which is newer, or better graphically (I don't actually think there is a notable leap or anything, Xillia still doesn't look as good as Vesperia did).

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Maybe there are people doing that, but I'm not one of them.

I don't care at all which is newer, or better graphically (I don't actually think there is a notable leap or anything, Xillia still doesn't look as good as Vesperia did).

Different art style and such. Technically, Xillia is better. Artisically? That's debatable. Always. It's mostly preference.

kayos90

Well, I think there are two main groups of people: a) the fickle Tales fans who just want whatever the most recent game is, and b) the people who only want "Team Symphonia" games (i.e. the more graphically impressive latest-console-exclusive ones). Team A will stop caring about Xillia once the next game is announced. Team B will still want Xillia and Vesperia PS3 for a while longer. Too bad team B doesn't seem to realize that Xillia isn't even a "Team Symphonia" game.

Xillia is meh. It makes changes and it's a good game. I guess for me a game is good in retrospect. Did I enjoy Xillia? Oh yeah. How is it in retrospect? It's the child from a one night stand between Team Destiny and Symphonia.

B.K.

I guess game quality doesn't actually matter here, though. It's whatever the most recently announced Tales game is that people clamor for. I hope a new Tales is announced soon so you guys can move onto that one and forget all about Xillia.

I want them all! Except for Innocence. I doubt the remake can salvage that game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I just want Tales games in general.

I think people only wanted Xillia over Graces F because they think because Graces F is based on a Wii game, it won't be as good as one made specifically for the PS3 like Xillia.
This isn't directed at you, but this is me thinking aloud. Because it's a port of a Wii game, it won't be good? I didn't know that game mechanics and battle systems would be downgraded as a result of porting an RPG to another system.

Aeana said:
Well, I think there are two main groups of people: a) the fickle Tales fans who just want whatever the most recent game is, and b) the people who only want "Team Symphonia" games (i.e. the more graphically impressive latest-console-exclusive ones). Team A will stop caring about Xillia once the next game is announced. Team B will still want Xillia and Vesperia PS3 for a while longer. Too bad team B doesn't seem to realize that Xillia isn't even a "Team Symphonia" game.
It has TP in it! Therefore it's a TS game! :lol -_-

I really don't get either party's reasoning in all of this. It's likely because I play Tales games to have fun with the battle system as opposed to anything else. I understand that English-speaking Tales fans haven't gotten Tales games in a long time, but I really don't think being picky about which games they want are going to help matters, here.

I wonder if people are still going to boycott this game for Vesperia PS3 (and maybe now Xillia)?

jiggle said:
or pretty tales games :p
Graces f can look nice in some spots. The character modeling is nice, imo. Xillia's graphics and artstyle really didn't mesh well with me prior to playing it.

imo, some of Xillia's fields aren't... I got sick of looking at them after a while, but that's because I stayed in certain areas to gather materials to upgrade shops, find black feathers, and grind a little bit.

Ah, I would buy a Vita for it if it were any other non-US Tales game but Innocence (and Tempest). Wasn't a big fan of them, and IIRC Innocence has randomly generated dungeons, something I don't like.

Aeana

Ah, I would buy a Vita for it if it were any other non-US Tales game but Innocence (and Tempest). Wasn't a big fan of them, and IIRC Innocence has randomly generated dungeons, something I don't like.

IIRC, Innocence's randomized dungeons are only for guilds, right? Tales of Hearts also has some randomly generated dungeons in the spiria mazes, which are pretty lame as well.

Toki767

This isn't directed at you, but this is me thinking aloud. Because it's a port of a Wii game, it won't be good? I didn't know that game mechanics and battle systems would be downgraded as a result of porting an RPG to another system.

I never said it was sound reasoning lol. But I'm sure there are some people who do feel that way. I remember reading a lot of comments about how ugly the game looked and the responses were always something along the lines of "it was a Wii game, what do you expect?" A good game is a good game to me. No matter how it looks. Gameplay for me always takes priority. Second would be story which people say is decent enough which is good enough for me.

I still can't wrap my brain around the thought that people would boycott a new Tales game in favor of an enhanced port that obviously isn't going to be brought over.

That being said, a ToIR localization could push me over the edge in getting a Vita.

StuBurns

Banned
Xillia is meh. It makes changes and it's a good game. I guess for me a game is good in retrospect. Did I enjoy Xillia? Oh yeah. How is it in retrospect? It's the child from a one night stand between Team Destiny and Symphonia.
That's disappointing to hear. Versperia is my only complete experience with the series, you'd say it was a much stronger entry I gather?

As for the graphics issue, I think given the popularity, and nature of these types of games, we're not going to see stunning looking games outside of Final Fantasy's really, no one can, or should spend that much on them. People were giving Ni no Kuni shit the other day, I don't know what people want, because if they're expecting top tier visuals, they're going to cripple the genre unless it has some massive resurgence in the West.

kayos90

That's disappointing to hear. Versperia is my only complete experience with the series, you'd say it was a much stronger entry I gather?

As for the graphics issue, I think given the popularity, and nature of these types of games, we're not going to see stunning looking games outside of Final Fantasy's really, no one can, or should spend that much on them. People were giving Ni no Kuni shit the other day, I don't know what people want, because if they're expecting top tier visuals, they're going to cripple the genre unless it has some massive resurgence in the West.

I assume you're asking if Vesperia was a stronger entry into the series? If so, then most definitely. The barrier was largely absent the gameplay was all there and fun. Xillia I feel like will do the same. However, when I talk about Xillia and other Tales games I'm talking mostly in comparison and not standalone. Sorry if it confused you.

3Kaze

Actually, Innocence R appears to be by Seventh Chord, who also worked on the Keroro RPG for the DS. Presumably they'll also be the ones involved with Tempest R and Hearts R if (when?) they're made/announced.
Interesting. Can't find anything about them though.
Now I know that Hearts R will somehow look bad :(

StuBurns

Banned
I assume you're asking if Vesperia was a stronger entry into the series? If so, then most definitely. The barrier was largely absent the gameplay was all there and fun. Xillia I feel like will do the same. However, when I talk about Xillia and other Tales games I'm talking mostly in comparison and not standalone. Sorry if it confused you.
Is there a demo on the Japanese PSN?

Jonnyram

IIRC, Innocence's randomized dungeons are only for guilds, right? Tales of Hearts also has some randomly generated dungeons in the spiria mazes, which are pretty lame as well.
I'm not 100% sure what either of you are talking about, but in Innocence R, there are no randomised dungeons (unless the bonus dungeon on New Play is randomised), and there are no guilds either.

Jonnyram

Yeah, none of that is in it. Wow, they changed a lot!
By the way, I'm about 45 hours in, and just clearing up sidequests before I do the final dungeon.
It's been a fun game. Exceeded my expectations.

I've been going back and forth on importing this for a while, but if there's a chance it'll come to the US maybe I should hold off. It wouldn't hurt to be explicit about it, so Dear Scamco, if you offer to sell this game to me I will gladly give you money for it. Though if they announce it today it probably won't be here till next fall.

kayos90

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if NB is waiting to see how well the Vita sells. If the install base is good because of it sells relatively well, it'll probably be localized. If not well... you can guess the outcome.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Yeah, none of that is in it. Wow, they changed a lot!
By the way, I'm about 45 hours in, and just clearing up sidequests before I do the final dungeon.
It's been a fun game. Exceeded my expectations.

Just wondering, were the dungeons ok in Innocence R? The dungeons were pretty boring in the NDS version.

Jonnyram

Just wondering, were the dungeons ok in Innocence R? The dungeons were pretty boring in the NDS version.
Much like any other JRPG.
There are some which are simple, some which are twisty and confusing, and then there are some with a bit of a puzzle element.

Sagitario

Different strokes for different folks. I loved Legendia! The music is godly. Sadly the 2nd half of the game was unvoiced and just felt rushed. Really stinks. Still its my 2nd favorite Tales. Vesperia being number 1.

<3

I loved Legendia too :)

Its LMBS isn't the best, but Senel and Chloe were fun to control and as a whole, it's good IMO: music, art, graphics, interface, characters, game structure (I don't know why other games haven't adopted the main quest -> character quest design), length, Norma <3...

Ties

Banned
<3

I loved Legendia too :)

Its LMBS isn't the best, but Senel and Chloe were fun to control and as a whole, it's good IMO: music, art, graphics, interface, characters, game structure (I don't know why other games haven't adopted the main quest -> character quest design), length, Norma <3...
I love you for this post. <3

Now getting back on topic. If Tales of Innocence R finds its way here stateside, I may have to purchase a Vita for it. I played the translation patch and I want to see how Namco handles its localization and whatnot. Also, what's this about a Tales of Hearts R? I would kill for that, Hearts is my favorite handheld Tales. I adore Kohaku, she's really fun to control.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
I'd only buy this one if it was localized. From the things I've read and videos I've watched it doesn't seem like it's worth the import price.

Datschge

Xillia is meh. It makes changes and it's a good game. I guess for me a game is good in retrospect. Did I enjoy Xillia? Oh yeah. How is it in retrospect? It's the child from a one night stand between Team Hearts and Symphonia.
Fixed. There was no single major "Team Destiny" staff on Xillia, it was nearly all from Hearts, with Vesperia grunt staff.

StuBurns

Banned
How do the 'teams' work in Tales? I checked Wiki but it doesn't seem to detail it, is it like SE where you had people working on FF8 while FF9 was in development too etc? How long is the turn around on these games? Anything along those lines would be an interesting read if anyone has a link or two.

Datschge

Technically there were never teams, just always two or three concurrent major ongoing projects at Tales Studio (which is why I keep writing the team names in quotation marks). However there are a group of major staff which consistently work together on specific games and never mix (while most other staff do), resulting in very specific approaches and focuses wrt to game design, combat design and how story is handled etc. In many ways "Team Destiny" and "Team Symphonia" games happened to have orthogonal approaches, and Hearts and Xillia (with formerly secondary or new staff as leads) are the first games trying to combine both approaches (to varying successes). I'll likely refer to said major staff by name with future Tales games though as Tales Studio now no longer exists.

Top Bottom