• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Team Ico Collection - It's coming on Blu-Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.
TTP said:
Stop this now guys. Sony might be listening :lol
I'd pay up to U$50, no more.
I'd pay up to U$60, no more.

Funny thing is, I own both games and my PS3 is a MGS4 80GB fat BC, so I really don't need the collection. But oh, boy, do I want it.

soldat7

Goldrusher said:
He has a point though.

But I think the "clinical look & feel" is mainly because the majority of 60fps games have very simplistic graphics and/or very simple and fast controls. If they had as much effects and filters as most 30fps games, and the controls, weight, speed and physics of the protagonist were more advanced, they wouldn't feel so clean.

Still a lame tag though. I mean, do Uncharted 2 and MotorStorm have choppy animation ? Both 30fps.

Wow, I have a couple of allies! This is a very hard thing to describe, and I wasn't trying to say that 60fps is worse than 30 in all cases, and I certainly wasn't advocating the 15fps parts in SotC. If anything, a stable framerate is more important than any 'average' frames per second. When framerates dip below an expected 60fps, it's much more noticeable than framerate dips below an expected 30fps.

Many games benefit a great deal from 60fps, but I disagree that 60fps is always better than 30. IMO, Shadow of the Colossus would look odd at 60fps for reasons similar to the ones quoted below:

No way should films and TV be shot at 30fps. Unless you want No Country for Old Men to look like Days of Our Lives.

The goal of motion pictures is not to recreate reality, it's not even to show reality. I want to create a little psychic link between you and my pictures. I want to suck you into the world of the story, suspend your disbelief and make you forget about yourself and your life and just be in the moment of the film.

By not showing enough visual information, we force the brain into filling in the gaps... it draws you in even more. It's part of how you let go to the point where you can laugh or cry or feel tense or afraid or elated.

Naim Sutherland

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
If this is true, do you think they'll reuse the same crappy ICO cover art and just display it like God of War Collection?

It would be cool if they actually made new cover art for this, combining both games into 1 cover

Zapages

Maybe they'll add all the boses that they could not add in the first time for SOTC...

I own both games... But it'll be nice to play the game in HD. :)

Chittagong

Gold Member
Oh god I would totally buy this. SotC was too late in the cycle to get in and I've just been waiting for an HD incarnation.

Up to £50 and I'm still in.

monocromo

soldat7 said:
Wow, I have a couple of allies! This is a very hard thing to describe, and I wasn't trying to say that 60fps is worse than 30 in all cases, and I certainly wasn't advocating the 15fps parts in SotC. If anything, a stable framerate is more important than any 'average' frames per second. When framerates dip below an expected 60fps, it's much more noticeable than framerate dips below an expected 30fps.

Many games benefit a great deal from 60fps, but I disagree that 60fps is always better than 30. IMO, Shadow of the Colossus would look odd at 60fps for reasons similar to the ones quoted below:

You don't need to worry. If they remaster the Ueda games, I think its going to be at 30 fps. Sony is not going to redo the games to run at 60 fps. GoW Collection is at 60 because that was the target of the original games. I think that the goal is going to be constant 30fps whit AA and 720p without tearing for ICO and SotC (that obviously not being a bad thing at all). The only thing that I really want is that the cutscenes are better handled that the ones in the GoW Collection.

Zapages said:
Maybe they'll add all the boses that they could not add in the first time for SOTC...

I own both games... But it'll be nice to play the game in HD. :)

Not going to happen. I'm the dreamcrusher haha. It's very likely that the port is going to be made by someone other than Ueda.

Wario64 said:
If this is true, do you think they'll reuse the same crappy ICO cover art and just display it like God of War Collection?

It would be cool if they actually made new cover art for this, combining both games into 1 cover

Please this... the GoW Collection cover is awful. Lets not speak about the ntsc ICO one. I know that the cover is not the game. But nobody is going to buy it if the original ICO cover is on it. Well, I'll do it anyway. I'm part of the problem :lol

jsnepo

I doubt Ico will look good in HD unless they improve the textures. How does Ico look like in that PS2 emulator?

KingDizzi

Banned
Wario64 said:

ico-box-art.jpg

That is an awesome cover, NA one is shite. SOTC was rubbish but ICO was pretty good co can't say I'm very interested however the success of the GOW collection will hopefully we get other collections such as FF.

soldat7 said:
I don't know if I agree with that. I'd like to see some proof that a lower frame rate is forcing your brain to work in different ways as far as emotion or connection is involved. I mean "we force the brain into filling in the gaps... it draws you in even more" is really hard to accept as is.

I could easily say: "60fps gives our brains a more life-like image to process, it suddenly becomes easier to relate to despite how absurd the content may be, drawing you in even more"

(any idea where the exact quote was first stated? I don't see it on the site.)

monocromo said:
You don't need to worry. If they remaster the Ueda games, I think its going to be at 30 fps. Sony is not going to redo the games to run at 60 fps. GoW Collection is at 60 because that was the target of the original games. I think that the goal is going to be constant 30fps whit AA and 720p without tearing for ICO and SotC (that obviously not being a bad thing at all). The only thing that I really want is that the cutscenes are better handled that the ones in the GoW Collection.
The cutscenes were real-time I believe so they won't be pre-rendered video like GOW collection.

soldat7

jsnepo said:
I doubt Ico will look good in HD unless they improve the textures. How does Ico look like in that PS2 emulator?

Surprisingly enough, Ico looks great when upscaled on my 80GB PS3.

MvmntInGrn said:
I don't know if I agree with that. I'd like to see some proof that a lower frame rate is forcing your brain to work in different ways as far as emotion or connection is involved. I mean "we force the brain into filling in the gaps... it draws you in even more" is really hard to accept as is.

I could easily say: "60fps gives our brains a more life-like image to process, it suddenly becomes easier to relate to despite how absurd the content may be, drawing you in even more"

(any idea where the exact quote was first stated? I don't see it on the site.)

Unfortunately no. That cinematographer has his own website, but the quote probably came from an email to the blogger or something. Maybe I'll do some further research into this and post a thread about this topic at some point.

Been hoping for this since Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection was announced for download on the PS3. Knowing they can do something like that and make it look better to boot had me sold.

Only when GOW collection was announced on blu-ray did I hope for an Ico/SotC collection on a disc.

If this isn't announced at E3, I'll be very very upset.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
monocromo said:

I think everything was real time in both SotC and Ico no? It shouldn't be a problem if so. With GOW Collection they were dealing with videos. Not much you can do about it.

Yoboman

I think it'll be 60, and I think that was the goal for SotC. It wasn't supposed to look like a movie

The frame drops did give a unique sort of cinematic feel to it though, so hopefully while at 60 they do have some sort of slow-mo buffer at the same points the original did

Fumito Ueda once mentioned a collection in an interview, I think the chances are high that this rumor is true.

Would buy it day 1 of course.

monocromo

MvmntInGrn said:
The cutscenes were real-time I believe so they won't be pre-rendered video like GOW collection.

TTP said:
I think everything was real time in both SotC and Ico no? It shouldn't be a problem if so. With GOW Collection they were dealing with videos. Not much you can do about it.

Uh uh... I thought that the in-engine cutscenes from the original GoW and GoW II were real-time and that they didnt want to reshot them again for the collection with the new settings. Great news then!
(if the Team ICO Collection is real, ha)

Yoboman said:
I think it'll be 60, and I think that was the goal for SotC. It wasn't supposed to look like a movie

The frame drops did give a unique sort of cinematic feel to it though, so hopefully while at 60 they do have some sort of slow-mo buffer at the same points the original did

Honest question... Did ICO or SotC go higher than 30 fps on PS2..? (lets say... similar to Infamous) I can't remember.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
-viper- said:
MGS collection would be so sweet.
That's what I was thinking too. MGS games are serious money makers for Konami, and Konami sure does love money! And after the success of GoWC they'd be fool not to take advantage of MGS collections.

jsnepo

Inanna said:
That's what I was thinking too. MGS games are serious money makers for Konami, and Konami sure does love money! And after the success of GoWC they'd be fool not to take advantage of MGS collections.

Only way for Konami to make me buy it is for MGS3 to have OTS aiming like in MGS4 and Peace Walker. HD will not suffice. Maybe 60fps will though. :lol

soldat7

monocromo said:
Honest question... Did ICO or SotC go higher than 30 fps on PS2..? (lets say... similar to Infamous) I can't remember.

With SotC, there were certain tricks you could do to briefly get 60fps. For example, you could stand in certain spots in the main temple and swing the camera certain ways and get 60fps, or thereabouts. MGS4 had a similar 'feature'.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Wouldn't the animations have to be changed for it to look right at 60FPS? I know in the console versions of Bioshock, even when the framerate is uncapped the animations still look like they're running at 30.. and it has that awful soap opera look to it.

Maybe a problem with Bioshock though.
Not a PC gamer

epmode

Aigis said:
Wouldn't the animations have to be changed for it to look right at 60FPS? I know in the console versions of Bioshock, even when the framerate is uncapped the animations still look like they're running at 30.. and it has that awful soap opera look to it.
Bioshock is one of the only games I've ever seen with this issue. And you're right, it looks terrible.

KingDizzi said:
http://101videogames.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/ico-box-art.jpg[/ig]

That is an awesome cover, NA one is shite. SOTC was rubbish but ICO was pretty good co can't say I'm very interested however the success of the GOW collection will hopefully we get other collections such as FF.[/QUOTE]
That last part was a bizarrely weird run on sentence of pure rambling. wtf :lol

I don't have a real problem with the original framerate, but seeing SotC in HD would just be amazing. Just lock down the framerate so it's steady and I'll be happy.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Great, this really isn't a bad trend. I think I prefer upped resolution in a last gen game over getting a last gen game with tacked motion control (Resident Evil Archives) although I guess on PS3 you could have both. I hope to see an HD Resident Evil and Metal Gear collection. Maybe a port of Peace Walker in HD. Otherwise, I'm not really going to play it. Would be fun.

I wonder what sort of trophies they'd add to the games. SotC is pretty clearly ripe for plenty of them, between the basic story completion progress, two difficulty levels, two entirely different sets of time attacks and rewards, climbing up to the garden, and other general exploration of the world like attempting to cross back over the bridge. Ico, on the other hand, doesn't have much more than the completion of the story for handing out trophies; there's very little that's optional, and very little that can be set up as a 'challenge.' There's finding the mace, sure, but that's about it. Not that trophies are at all the important thing here - I just want to play the damn games in HD and at a high framerate - but I'm curious to see what they'll do.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
jsnepo said:
Absolutely amazing. Better than upscaled GoW for the most part to give you some reference. Modelling, lighting, effects, animation and texture work are outstanding. There was one location in my testing time that had sub par texture resolution but thats the only criticism I can find.

Also, the game wouldn't have to be redone for 60 fps, the animation scales up flawlessly.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
erlim said:
Great, this really isn't a bad trend. I think I prefer upped resolution in a last gen game over getting a last gen game with tacked motion control (Resident Evil Archives) although I guess on PS3 you could have both. I hope to see an HD Resident Evil and Metal Gear collection. Maybe a port of Peace Walker in HD. Otherwise, I'm not really going to play it. Would be fun.

They should actually also do this with wii games on ps3 once psmove whatever comes out too. Like Red Steel 1 and 2 two pack hd. Also all the games should use the GOW Collection cover as a template.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
FLEABttn said:
Considering the God of War collection took some 9 weeks to port, yes.
God of war had highly documented, neat code though...the coders said it was a snap to port. Something tells me all the tricks used in sotc would make it harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom