• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Team Ico Collection - It's coming on Blu-Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.
nincompoop said:
There's no way in hell I would play this if Sony doesn't let you disable trophy notifications.

I hardly can imagie Ico trophies.

" you have earned a trophy
gate 7 open "

but for SotC, it's easy. They can even do a gold trophy for beating the time attack mode.

jsnepo

jiggle said:
Courtesy of Durante:
pics

From Ftsh:
morepics

Some look good. Some don't especially screens that involve foliage. The textures of Ico definitely has to be redone.

Still, the pictures are amazing.

Those emulated Ico screens are not as I imagined the game to look in HD. Pretty blurry.

nincompoop said:
There's no way in hell I would play this if Sony doesn't let you disable trophy notifications.
I like this idea but it probably wouldn't stop me from playing the game if the notifications can't be turned off.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Scythesurge said:
Those emulated Ico screens are not as I imagined the game to look in HD. Pretty blurry.
It's the good kind of blur, you should see it in motion. The game uses tons of post processing effects to simulate haze blur in distance, motion blur for things that movie, HDR glow around characters etc.

nincompoop said:
At least you won't be playing it for the first time (I would think). As for TLG, well :\

Just give the console to someone who doesn't care about this, to finish games first and get rid of trophies for you :lol

Scythesurge said:

I like this idea but it probably wouldn't stop me from playing the game if the notifications can't be turned off.

Why was I under the impression you could already turned them off now (along with other notifications as well)? Could swear I read that somewhere.

Anyhow I can't wait to get this, super excited.

Lord Error said:
It's the good kind of blur, you should see it in motion. The game uses tons of post processing effects to simulate haze blur in distance, motion blur for things that movie, HDR glow around characters etc.
I'd sure like to see that. Maybe I'll try that out on my computer.

simtmb

My two most adored games of last gen. Though I've already played the heck out of 'em, I'd do so again.

The biggest shame though, even if this were to come out, there's no changing the opinions of those I've tried recommending the games to... :(

flyover

nincompoop said:

Oh, I know I'd get it, anyway, but I hate mandatory trophy notifications. It's idiotic that you can't turn them off, yet. Not looking forward to them in The Last Guardian (sad scene... mournful strings... DING!)

I hope that Team Ico will at least make them as unobtrusive as possible, like FFXIII and Heavy Rain.

jett

D-Member
CryptiK said:
So will Shadow of the Colossus not use cheat lighting now? I it doesnt

I'm not sure how would they handle a port of SotC to the PS3. If it ends up using proper HDR it's gonna look vastly different.

santi_yo said:
I swear it's true. He said that.

Oh, I believe you, he did...

...Otherwise I will smash my vein popping fist through this laptop screen in burning fury. Dont toy with my emotions, junior.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Scythesurge said:
I'd sure like to see that. Maybe I'll try that out on my computer.
In fact, like it or not, the properly emulated game should look even blurrier than it does in the emulator right now :lol A very impressive fog effect from the game is missing from the emulator unless you use software rendering mode, which is unusably slow.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
°°ToMmY°° said:
it didn't use HDR, but a very primitive form of it (defined as LDR, low dynamic range).
Of course it didn't, it was the PS2!

It looked really good for the system, however. I think changing the lighting model would be beyond the scope of the project.

dark10x said:
Of course it didn't, it was the PS2!

It looked really good for the system, however. I think changing the lighting model would be beyond the scope of the project.

well, i wasn't implying it was bad, on the contrary. they've been able to have a game with a form of dynamic lighting, fur shading, self-shadowing and motion blur on a ps2. most devs would just melt at the idea alone.

nincompoop said:
Heavy Rain did it the right way, during loading screens. Could be done for Ico/SotC as well

AAK

nincompoop said:

YES, I death to trophies!

But unfortunately, I'd still buy this because I love those games so much.

in case they are still on the fence about this, you all should check you mailboxes. Sony is sending out a survey with this question in it:

What titles would you like to see in a future collection (2 or more PS2 titles upgraded with similar features to God of War Collection)?

everyone should fill that survey out immediately.

birdman

akachan ningen said:
in case they are still on the fence about this, you all should check you mailboxes. Sony is sending out a survey with this question in it:

everyone should fill that survey out immediately.

I made sure to put in Ico and SotC because I never got the chance to play Colossus and I would love to have the chance in HD.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I would most definitely buy if they just increased the res to 720p and 60 fps or so. Especially since Ico is a 4:3 formatted game so they would have to do some work with that. But it would be even more awesome if they actually tweaked out the textures and stuff.

I really love the games and would definitely buy at 40-50$ price range. It makes perfect sense considering the Team Ico games are considered a sort of trilogy. I don't want to get too excited though since there is no real confirmation.

Id envy the bitch that gets to play these games fresh in HD. I think gameplay wise they still hold up today, especially SOTC.

ShortBus

I've played both titles to death,but would re-buy for 720p/60fps + those extras in the import version of ICO.

Next up: a Zone of the Enders Collection...

~Kinggi~ said:
Id envy the bitch that gets to play these games fresh in HD. I think gameplay wise they still hold up today, especially SOTC.

I think SotC's controls will feel dated to a lot of people because of how much more approachable Uncharted is, but to me that's definitely a strong point. I certainly don't think the controls were bad but it was a struggle at times to make a successful jump or to really hold on for dear life. I'm just not sure how much that'll get across to gamers who haven't played when you compare it to current generation games that get a whole lot of unnecessary flack if the controls aren't streamlined to be as easy and mindless as possible (see Killzone 2 control fiasco).

Shortbus said:
Next up: a Zone of the Enders Collection...

Listen to this man. PLEASE. I actually haven't played ZOE2 yet...I'm ashamed to say it.

°°ToMmY°° said:
it didn't use HDR, but a very primitive form of it (defined as LDR, low dynamic range).

It wasn't mathematically what people call "HDR" today, but in terms of the effect the screen had on the eye its kind of semantics. FP16 HDR isn't really less of a 'trick' than what goes on in SotC, its just a higher precision one. Until photons are being simulated its all primitive illusion.

Pai Pai Master said:
I think SotC's controls will feel dated to a lot of people because of how much more approachable Uncharted is, but to me that's definitely a strong point. I certainly don't think the controls were bad but it was a struggle at times to make a successful jump or to really hold on for dear life. I'm just not sure how much that'll get across to gamers who haven't played when you compare it to current generation games that get a whole lot of unnecessary flack if the controls aren't streamlined to be as easy and mindless as possible (see Killzone 2 control fiasco).

I don't have the rig to play the emulator but I imagine a smoother frame rate might improve responsiveness. Thats the only fault I had with the controls not doing what I intended, the fluctuations make things unpredictable at times. This was a regression from Ico.

But I think the whole grabbing mechanic is still pretty novel, its still ambitious. For some reason 3rd person action hasn't really caught up to their collision detection scheme (or more likely just haven't come up with a better context for it). The closest are open world games like Crackdown, AC, Infamous etc, but they're static environments that largely hold your hand as you navigate the topography. The Colossi are fully interactive moving mountains, with collision zones dynamically folding and stretching along hybrid animation routines, and you're mechanically involved the whole time. This was on PS2??

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Max said:
And I haven't played either :(

4sz8nk.gif

Anyways, I never owned ICO, but I managed to play it thanks to a friend who lend it to me, the bastard never sold it to me! :lol

Then I got SotC and loved it to pieces, I would defenitely double dip this game, but I kinda want the game to keep the Framerate issue, it gave some scenes with the colossus a sense of chaos and slowmo moment. At least I want them to give me the option to play the OPTIMIZE ver or the ORIGINAL ver. I must be the only one that enjoyed the Framerate problems in this SotC. :lol

I received a survey in my email from PlayStation Network that revolved mostly on God of War Collection...

the last question was about what type of other compilations would I suggest.

I wrote Ico+SOTC... hope it helps

AAK said:
YES, I death to trophies!

But unfortunately, I'd still buy this because I love those games so much.

Have you guys ever played Linger in Shadows from PSN? THAT'S the way how trophies should be implemented in LG, at the end of the game.

Haunted

Very cool if true. Budget price like GoW collection please!

Ridiculous how well God of War 2 holds up in HD compared to modern releases. I'm sure SotC will produce equally nice results.

Yoboman

Yoboman said:
ZoE2 would make a great PSN title
Actually on that thought, so would ICO (HD) and maybe even SotC. Especially ICO it was only a few hundred megs large from memory

Good way to get it out there cause you know the Collection will run dry quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom