• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: The Crew (Ubisoft/Ivory Tower/Reflections racer) details leak out

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Update:

Stumpokapow said:
My translation of the original French directly:
- The Crew, developed with the help of Reflections, will have an experience in the heritage of Driver San Francisco, the studio's previous title.
- In contrast to rumours that suggest the title will be positioned similarly to Gran Turismo or Forza, the driving will be more semi-arcade: accessible, fun, and effective.
- The game is set in the United States in an open-world. It will be possible to go from one city to another, for example from New York to LA. The scale of the distance will obviously be reduced.
- A map with Google Maps-style appeal will be used like a menu to let you choose different missions
- In the open world, the player will be free to choose different missions or challenges that he wishes to play.
- Single player and multiplayer experiences will be mixed together; it'll be possible to join other players at any moment (drop-in drop-out?) for challenges or specific missions.
- Multiplayer will focus on both competition and cooperation between players, and up to 8 players at the same time.
- There will be interactivity with smartphones and tablets, probably in the form of a companion App.
- Their source played the game on Xbox 360, but it's likely it will be both current and next gen.
- A release date for the end of 2013 is expected to be announced.

In particular the comment about the scale--the french comment in the OP suggests that the scale being reduced is the scale of the distance between the cities, rather than having mini-versions of each city. Now it's possible NowGamer was getting stuff from original unedited French rather than the bullet points in the OP, but I'm just saying what I read there.

---

NowGamer's Translation:

NowGamer said:
Now more details on the game have been revealed from a playtester who has released his impressions of the game.

-The Crew is expected to play similar to Ubisoft Reflections most recent racer Driver: San Francisco, with a semi-arcade style of racing.
-As with Driver: San Francisco, The Crew will be open world with the ability to travel between New York City and Los Angeles, though the scale of these cities has been reduced.
-It is not clear whether you will travel through wilderness to reach each city or whether the game will simply load in each area.
-The Crew will also feature a similar 'Google Maps' style mechanic, presumably for navigating the open world.
-A 'Freeride' mode will be available too, which the option to choose between missions or challenges.
-Multiplayer will feature 8 players in either competitive or co-operative gameplay, though no more specific details were provided.
-As is the case with Ubisoft's Watch Dogs - and presumably many of the publisher's next-gen games - The Crew will come with a companion app for mobile devices.
-It is presumed that The Crew's release date will be before the end of 2013, presumably to tie into a next-gen release. With such a close release date, it's safe to assume The Crew will be announced at E3 2013.
Source: http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1949567/ubisofts_ps4_racer_the_crew_details_leaked.html

Original French:

GameBlog.fr said:
-The Crew, développé avec l'aide du Studio Reflections, proposera une expérience héritée de Driver San Francisco, son précédent titre.

-Contrairement à certaines rumeurs parlant d'une positionnement similaire à celui d'un Gran Turismo ou d'un Forza, la conduite serait plutôt semi-arcade : accessible, fun et efficace.

-Le jeu se situe aux États-Unis, en Open World, et il serait possible d'aller d'une ville à l'autre, par exemple de New York à Los Angeles. L'échelle des distances étant cependant réduite.

-À l'instar de Driver San Francisco, la carte aux allures de Google Map s’utilisera comme un menu permettant de jouer à tout moment à des missions, défis et autres modes.

-En mode open-world libre, le joueur sera en effet libre de choisir quelles missions, ou défis il souhaite jouer.

-L'expérience solo semble étroitement mêlée au multijoueur, puisqu'il sera possible de rejoindre d'autres joueurs à tout moment pour des défis ou missions spécifiques.

-Le multijoueur mettrait l'accent autant sur la compétition que la coopération entre les joueurs, et il serait possible d'être jusqu'à 8 sur une même épreuve.

-Une interactivité avec les smartphones et les tablettes (IOS et Android) est prévue ; probablement une Companion App.

-La version de The Crew qu'a pu jouer notre source tournait sur Xbox 360, mais à l'image de Watch_Dogs, il y a fort à parier que cette nouvelle licence bénéficie d'une sortie à la fois sur les consoles actuelles et nouvelle génération (voir ci-dessous).

-Une date de sortie devrait être annoncée pour la fin de l'année 2013.
Source: http://www.gameblog.fr/news/35928-the-crew-un-jeu-de-course-ubisoft-nos-infos

MANGOD

Banned
Def interested in this but if releasing at the end of the year i've got a feeling its going to be a case of to many cooks spoil the broth with regards to racing games.

-As with Driver: San Francisco, The Crew will be open world with the ability to travel between New York City and Los Angeles, though the scale of these cities has been reduced.
-It is not clear whether you will travel through wilderness to reach each city or whether the game will simply load in each area.

Indianapolis will just be a big cornfield, , Pennsylvania is just a courthouse with a liberty bell in front of it, Arizona is just a big brown field and an overpass with some boulders bouncing around, etc.

There were some screenshots/art concepts leaked a few days ago. No idea if they are legit though.

http://www.examiner.com/article/rumor-ubisoft-revealing-new-racing-ip-called-the-crew-at-e3-2013

lZEp5ad.jpg

tCR2Wcw.jpg

CXkzKh7.jpg

OwrE05R.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
- The Crew, developed with the help of Reflections, will have an experience in the heritage of Driver San Francisco, the studio's previous title.
- In contrast to rumours that suggest the title will be positioned similarly to Gran Turismo or Forza, the driving will be more semi-arcade: accessible, fun, and effective.
- The game is set in the United States in an open-world. It will be possible to go from one city to another, for example from New York to LA. The scale of the distance will obviously be reduced.
- A map with Google Maps-style appeal will be used like a menu to let you choose different missions
- In the open world, the player will be free to choose different missions or challenges that he wishes to play.
- Single player and multiplayer experiences will be mixed together; it'll be possible to join other players at any moment (drop-in drop-out?) for challenges or specific missions.
- Multiplayer will focus on both competition and cooperation between players, and up to 8 players at the same time.
- There will be interactivity with smartphones and tablets, probably in the form of a companion App.
- Their source played the game on Xbox 360, but it's likely it will be both current and next gen.
- A release date for the end of 2013 is expected to be announced.

In particular the comment about the scale--the french comment in the OP suggests that the scale being reduced is the scale of the distance between the cities, rather than having mini-versions of each city. Now it's possible NowGamer was getting stuff from original unedited French rather than the bullet points in the OP, but I'm just saying what I read there.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Thanks stump.

You're right. I totally remember playing at least 5 games like that in the last 8 years.

Well, they could always just do everything better. I guess I would be fine with that but we have a very clear saturation of arcade/sim racing games going on right now and they are very likely to cannibalize each other. I am very interested to see who comes out on top.

Jacobi

Banned
I always loved Reflections no matter what the haters say. With the backing of Ubi, this could be great. Hope it'll have real cities, I hate ficitional US cities, just so boring.

jet1911

Well, they could always just do everything better. I guess I would be fine with that but we have a very clear saturation of arcade/sim racing games going on right now and they are very likely to cannibalize each other. I am very interested to see who comes out on top.

But I want more open world racing games. :(

Sounds like a sequel to Driver San Francisco just without a story or characters, which can only be a good thing as i loved Driver SF

nampad

I am all for a new racing game series but holiday 2013 seems to be the worst time to launch such a multiplatform game.

Top Bottom