• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: The Last of Us Part II may get a new version made especially for the PlayStation 5

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Waste of resources imo. Game is already out and with the 60fps patch and load time improvements it’s good enough.

Sony needs to kick naughty dog in the head and get them going. They released Uncharted 1-3 and The Last of Us with multiplayer in the PS3 gen. Two new IP’s And PS4 nothing new, less output, and now 2 years into this gen they re-re-released TLOU1… impressive.
Releasing a remake (like TLOU Part 1) gives Sony another shot at $60 sales.

Synless

Releasing a remake (like TLOU Part 1) gives Sony another shot at $60 sales.
Sure does, I certainly didn’t buy it and won’t. I already owned it twice now.

All they are doing is having me hang back a gen for their games to see how it all shakes out. If that’s the model they want to run with, they lose my day one sale immediately.

Worst case for me is I pay less for their games if a next gen version doesn’t come out.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
Tell Schitts Creek GIF by CBC
you know it's coming.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I cant roll my eyes harder. Cheaper and quicker to up res the graphics on older titles then make new ones, right?
Dude they just had the creative director of Uncharted Lost Legacy and Avengers waste two years of his life overseeing the development of a remake that had no new dialogue written, no changes made to the cutscenes aside from new facial animations and character models, and no changes made to level design and encounters. He literally did nothing when he couldve been working on a brand new game.

This is Neil's studio and he was busy with the show so the studio had to keep themselves busy. They took over this project from VSG and now two years after refusing to do a native PS5 port, they are going back to it because they are clearly still sitting there idle with nothing to do after shipping TLOU Part 1. Very surprised that 2.5 years after shipping TLOU2 they havent shown their next game. ND revealed Uncharted 4 a year after shipping TLOU. Revealed Lost Legacy and TLOU at the same conference just 6 months after shipping Uncharted 4. Now they are struggling to show a single screenshot of their factions game let alone their next big title. It has to be a Neil thing. This studio used to be very productive. Thats probably why they are working on all these remasters and remakes. Might as well do something.

Hugare

... But if people decide to not buy the next gen patch, they can still use the improved PS4 version, right?

So why taking down the video? Doesnt make sense

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Dude they just had the creative director of Uncharted Lost Legacy and Avengers waste two years of his life overseeing the development of a remake that had no new dialogue written, no changes made to the cutscenes aside from new facial animations and character models, and no changes made to level design and encounters. He literally did nothing when he couldve been working on a brand new game.

This is Neil's studio and he was busy with the show so the studio had to keep themselves busy. They took over this project from VSG and now two years after refusing to do a native PS5 port, they are going back to it because they are clearly still sitting there idle with nothing to do after shipping TLOU Part 1. Very surprised that 2.5 years after shipping TLOU2 they havent shown their next game. ND revealed Uncharted 4 a year after shipping TLOU. Revealed Lost Legacy and TLOU at the same conference just 6 months after shipping Uncharted 4. Now they are struggling to show a single screenshot of their factions game let alone their next big title. It has to be a Neil thing. This studio used to be very productive. Thats probably why they are working on all these remasters and remakes. Might as well do something.
That's because LOU is a smash hit franchise. Sony's shotgun approach to games for generations has lead to lots of misfires, but some key winners.

The second they get some tentpole franchises that are huge sellers, it's sequelitis, remakes and collection packs going forward. Many of these studios have made other games in the past, but currently and future its solely focused on their hit franchise instead of making a different franchise game or IP.... OK, Insomniac is also making a Wolverine game as their new IP.

ND: LOU and UC
Guerrilla: Horizon
Sony SM: GOW
Insomniac: Spiderman (and Wolverine which is another Marvel character)
PD: GT

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
let's hope they do a physical release. It's a fantastic game. One of best ever.
The abby cut jokes are already triggering me. You can see the haters who did not paly or understand the game from a mile away.

They do need to fix many bugs that are present in tlou2 and part1. Like melee bugs, aiming with bow bugs an some bad broken stuff.
Guys, we are not talking about remake. just simple port to ps5 to support vrr and maybe 4k. nothing else. Not a waste of resources at all. You know how many people they hire?!

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Waste of resources imo. Game is already out and with the 60fps patch and load time improvements it’s good enough.

Sony needs to kick naughty dog in the head and get them going. They released Uncharted 1-3 and The Last of Us with multiplayer in the PS3 gen. Two new IP’s then and PS4 nothing new, less output, and now 2 years into this gen they re-re-released TLOU1… impressive.
what waste? what resources? THE NUMBERS MASON !!!
Listen... this would be a simple port. You really thing they would waste months developing it? It's probably just a few devs side gig if anything.
I would like ps5 native version.

Besides - it's not your resources to waste lol. It's a huge studio. There are many bugs to be fixed that are game breaking

Of course it does. I mean this ancient pos is already like what? three days old, get that out of my face it needs 10 more fps and 2x more anti aliasing I'll happily buy that for 150 USD thank you. Next remaster of Rift Apart and Returnal please they look disgusting with how old they are already.

Synless

what waste? what resources? THE NUMBERS MASON !!!
Listen... this would be a simple port. You really thing they would waste months developing it? It's probably just a few devs side gig if anything.
I would like ps5 native version.

Besides - it's not your resources to waste lol. It's a huge studio. There are many bugs to be fixed that are game breaking
small argument to make here is that it is indirectly my resource to waste as I am the consumer they want to sell to and I’d rather they focus on new content.

keep re-releasing shit as a strategy and I’ll stop buying day one.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
small argument to make here is that It is my resource to waste as I am the consumer they want to sell to.

keep releasing shit as a strategy and I’ll stop buying day one.
Lol just don't buy it.
I am 1000% sure it is not taking away from dev time on their other games.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
That's because LOU is a smash hit franchise. Sony's shotgun approach to games for generations has lead to lots of misfires, but some key winners.

The second they get some tentpole franchises that are huge sellers, it's sequelitis, remakes and collection packs going forward. Many of these studios have made other games in the past, but currently and future its solely focused on their hit franchise instead of making a different franchise game or IP.... OK, Insomniac is also making a Wolverine game as their new IP.

ND: LOU and UC
Guerrilla: Horizon
Sony SM: GOW
Insomniac: Spiderman (and Wolverine which is another Marvel character)
PD: GT
Part of it is that but there is nothing stopping sony from contracting this work out to third party studios like the ones who made the Spiderman, GoW and the OG horizon PC port that GG eventually had to take over.

The fact that premiere talent from ND's internal studios is working on these games just tells me that they are all idle. For whatever reason, they dont want to work on Factions so they went and started fucking around with VSG's remake eventually taking it over and giving it to that creative director. Now they are working on a PS5 SKU when they didnt two years ago when the game was still new? Why now?

GG working on Horizon MP is perfectly in line with your theory that they are milking these 20 million sellers. But GG also working on a Horizon remake/remaster instead of a new IP? WTF is that? Why dont they have anything better to do?

Flutta

Banned
lol Abby's combat is great. I hate her guts, but she's fucking terminator. Love her momentum abilities.

Neil also gave her the best setpieces and boss fights so I have no choice but to play as her. Maybe a new skin so I can play her sections as Joel.
Waiting for that PC port so the mod community can fix everything that is wrong with that game. 😎

Filben

gotta milk it.
Yeah, it's pretty obvious by now that they gonna make a big brand out of it. With the TV show coming the remake of TLOU 1 made sense to increase the attention again. Then there's the multiplayer coming that's probably gonna be monetizing heavily and also need attention and keep consumers engaged. Some kind of TLOU2 re-release between the show and the multiplayer, or alongside the multiplayer, makes sense business-wise. And the 80EUR price tag of TLOU 1 remake just shows their confidence in the brand.

And they are going to treat it like a brand. We'll see much more of the TLOU universe in the future.

Please patch out all the walking sections with Abby. Especially the fucking Aquarium sections. There are THREE flashbacks set in the Acquarium that completely kill the pacing.

I mostly stick with encounter select because the combat is sublime but the loading times are almost a minute long. Uncharted 4's encounter select literally loads in a second. Would be amazing to get it. Will gladly pay $10 to fund Jimbo's cocaine addiction.
My God dude have some respect. Those were the best parts of the fucking game. I hope they remove every combat encounter in the game and extend the aquarium with more sections.

FunkMiller

What the fuck else are they going to do with it, that hasn't already been accomplished with the 60fps patch?

Part 1 proves they're lazy fuckers when it comes to these updates. Nice coat of paint on top, and absolutely fuck all done under the hood. I just got done with Part 1 and it's still the same Ps3 game, with Ps3 features, drawbacks and technology. The same will hold true for a Part 2 re-release, only it'll be a Ps4 game with a fresh coat of paint instead.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Part of it is that but there is nothing stopping sony from contracting this work out to third party studios like the ones who made the Spiderman, GoW and the OG horizon PC port that GG eventually had to take over.

The fact that premiere talent from ND's internal studios is working on these games just tells me that they are all idle. For whatever reason, they dont want to work on Factions so they went and started fucking around with VSG's remake eventually taking it over and giving it to that creative director. Now they are working on a PS5 SKU when they didnt two years ago when the game was still new? Why now?

GG working on Horizon MP is perfectly in line with your theory that they are milking these 20 million sellers. But GG also working on a Horizon remake/remaster instead of a new IP? WTF is that? Why dont they have anything better to do?
The reason why it's not outsourced to a different studio is probably where Druckmann goes, so do all the key employees with him. If Druckmann is working on a LOU2 remake for PS5, all his underlings will follow.

Bragr

Banned
There is a pretty good chance they might do something with it, but I'm not sure if the video getting taken down is enough to make those assumptions.

lol Abby's combat is great. I hate her guts, but she's fucking terminator. Love her momentum abilities.

Neil also gave her the best setpieces and boss fights so I have no choice but to play as her. Maybe a new skin so I can play her sections as Joel.
I agree, her combat scenes and the weapons she gets are great...I just never really cared about her.

Ok, sure, he father was taken from her when she was very young and she's filled with bitterness and rage.

I get it.

But, so were most people in that world.

Expecting us to have some great awakening, an epiphany, about the futility of revenge etc...was never going to work because they are all victims of circumstances to a degree and Abby's story wasn't special or unique... except to her, obviously.

Besides, none of that payoff was worth brutally murdering Joel to achieve.

Fake

Another useless waste of resource.

Instead of making a new IP they keep doing this shit. Is unbelieable. Are people keep forgeting that TLOUS was a new IP? Imagine if ND continue to farming UC since PS3 to 2023...

Man... I totally done with this company if this was true. Get fucking over.

RCU005

I love the Last of Us franchise! Loved Part 2 regardless of the controversy!

With that said: For the love of god let the franchise go already! Move on to something else! The fact that Neil Druckmann is now president means that we won’t get to see anything else from Naughty Dog?

We have Sony Santa Monica stuck with God of War (even though they are great)

We have Guerrilla stuck with Horizon

Naughty Dog now stuck with TLoU

Can studios do something else please?

Boss Man

I’m probably confusing it with the first game but it feels like they re-release this for $60 multiple times a year.

Last edited:
This is actually aimed at PC, not PS5. PS5 is used to make the PC port more financially sustainable: PS5 payers are going to pay for the PC players (because more work for PC, more bugs and way less profits because of 30% steam share and less short term sales).

They are probably doing the PC version (targeting HDD storage), port it to PS5 to be released first, then wait some time before releasing the PC version making it as if the PC was the port (when it's the other way around).

Last edited:
Top Bottom