• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: The Last of Us Part II may get a new version made especially for the PlayStation 5

OuterLimits

God damnit I knew there was reason they made it 10 bucks lately

Damn, you may be right.

Whenever I see a Sony first party game dirt cheap in a sale now(or heck, some 3rd party games) I'm always wondering if it will soon be announced for PS+. I have been burned several times on that.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This is probably just the PC version. Just because there will be a PC version, does not guarantee there will be a PS5 native app. GoW made a PC version without making a native PS5 app, same for HZD and Day's Gone, etc..

"Rumors" are taken as press-release facts on Twitter and Gaf lately based on warring narratives. But who knows.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Is it the directors cut where it trims like 1 third of the game out?

Then I think it would actually be a pretty damn good vidya game :)

JaksGhost

This is probably just the PC version. Just because there will be a PC version, does not guarantee there will be a PS5 native app. GoW made a PC version without making a native PS5 app, same for HZD and Day's Gone, etc..

"Rumors" are taken as press-release facts on Twitter and Gaf lately based on warring narratives. But who knows.
The thing is this isn't even a rumor. This is just a random person making an assumption because a video was removed in May, which happens on a regular basis. Using the term "silently" sensationalizes this when it means absolutely nothing. Who announces they are deleting videos?!

Last edited:

Aaron Olive

Why? You really think releasing a port takes any time away from something else?
I wouldn’t mind a native port with dualsense support, 4k, vrr, fast loading and so on.
It doesn’t need any assets updates to its a really easy port probably.
Because we want something new!

June 14, 2013 - TLOU (PS3)
July 29, 2014 - TLOU (PS4 Port)
June 19, 2020 - TLOU Pt. 2 (PS4)
Sept 2, 2022 - TLOU Pt. 1 (PS5 Broken Remake)
2023 - TLOU Factions 2
2023 - TLOU Pt. 2 DC (PS5?)
Beyond?..... 2025 TLOU Pt.3...? I'm still gonna try N kill Abby anyway (Tommy), Ellie dead on an operating table for the cure the end?

I Like their technical work but ND seems to be stuck in a loop, don't want another depressing zombie game or another Indiana jones UC they fucked up the story by Killing Joel in the first act of the second game.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The thing is this isn't even a rumor. This is just a random person making an assumption because a video was removed in May, which happens on a regular basis. Using the term "silently" sensationalizes this when it means absolutely nothing. Who announces they are deleting videos?!
That's another annoying thing about current year internet and gaming, every rando saying something is a damned "rumor."

No, no it's not.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties

9MZ76XT.gif

But seriously...it is genuine rumor mill...guess we'll have to wait to see what unfolds in 2023

Edit: Rumor not on PC but more so for PS5 for now. Then again, very well could happen.

Last edited:
You can’t say it has no chance of working because it did for me and many many people. You just gotta let the game take you for emotional rollercoaster.
By the end i fucking cried. It was so good and I hated it at the beginning and when it switched. You are supposed to feel this real hate.
I can say no game made me feel this emotions. By the end I even thought Abby was the better character. But essentially they are almost the same struggling with same revenge cycle that destroys them.
I just couldn't feel anything for Abby after the way she treated Joel.

There was no emotional payoff for me at all, except at the end when I thought Ellie was going to get her revenge.

You see, I got invested in Ellie's revenge story as she hunted down Abby, because that was a character I knew and cared about.

A handful of flashbacks didn't make me feel anything for Abby, so I wasn't invested in her journey.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I swear some gamers act like children.

"Why are they working on this? They should work on a new IP!"

Do you guys really think they're going to dedicate a large team to this project? Large studios always have a small team dedicated to projects like this. They might even pull members from other Sony studios who have nothing to do.

- Kojima Productions made Death Stranding Director's Cut and they're currently working on multiple projects.
- Sucker Punch made Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut and they're working on another project
- Insomniac Games made Spider-Man Remastered, released Spider-Man Miles Morales, Rachet & Clank and now Spider-Man 2 is going to be released next year.

Tom Henderson has been credible in the past and he mentioned a director's cut version early last year.

If they made extra in TLOU Remake that is not found in TLOU 2, then it should be obvious they're going to make a version with these features, especially if it releases on PC.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I just couldn't feel anything for Abby after the way she treated Joel.

There was no emotional payoff for me at all, except at the end when I thought Ellie was going to get her revenge.

You see, I got invested in Ellie's revenge story as she hunted down Abby, because that was a character I knew and cared about.

A handful of flashbacks didn't make me feel anything for Abby, so I wasn't invested in her journey.
at the beginning I also didn't feel anything for her but she grew on me and I saw more humanity in her than Ellie after al.
She suffered so much. And I even appreciate sections with Owen

Drizzlehell

Banned
If this isn't going to be a mere upgrade and they're gonna release a 70 dollar PS5 version that you'll have to pay a full price for then so help me God, I will complain about it on the internet.

Great game. Definitely not something I’ll play again though. There are definitely scenarios that are replayable but it’s too bleak and depressing to warrant playing the entire game again for me personally.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I swear some gamers act like children.

"Why are they working on this? They should work on a new IP!"

Do you guys really think they're going to dedicate a large team to this project? Large studios always have a small team dedicated to projects like this. They might even pull members from other Sony studios who have nothing to do.

- Kojima Productions made Death Stranding Director's Cut and they're currently working on multiple projects.
- Sucker Punch made Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut and they're working on another project
- Insomniac Games made Spider-Man Remastered, released Spider-Man Miles Morales, Rachet & Clank and now Spider-Man 2 is going to be released next year.

Tom Henderson has been credible in the past and he mentioned a director's cut version early last year.

If they made extra in TLOU Remake that is not found in TLOU 2, then it should be obvious they're going to make a version with these features, especially if it releases on PC.

We bitch just to bitch. Even bitch more than game, probably.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
at the beginning I also didn't feel anything for her but she grew on me and I saw more humanity in her than Ellie after al.
She suffered so much. And I even appreciate sections with Owen
I didnt care for her until the end. I think Neil made her boring and unlikeable on purpose to make it harder for us to relate to her, and thus forgive her for what she did to Joel. And while I admire Neil for taking such a bold risk, I think it hurt the game. I was ambivalent towards her until the end. Saving Lev who was equally forgettable didnt do much for me either. If anything, by the end of the game I was more angry with Ellie for simply not letting go and continuing to want revenge. I hadnt forgiven Abby but by the end i was sick of both characters lusting for revenge. I guess thats what Neil was trying to get across, but I think the story wouldve been better served if Abby had to save Ellie instead of some random new character no one gives a shit about. And if Ellie kept coming back over and over again through out the game instead of disappearing half way through the story and showing up again at the very end.

The turning point for many was Abby letting Ellie and Dina live. I think that shouldve come much earlier in the story and I know she did let Ellie live in Jackson at the start of the game.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I didnt care for her until the end. I think Neil made her boring and unlikeable on purpose to make it harder for us to relate to her, and thus forgive her for what she did to Joel. And while I admire Neil for taking such a bold risk, I think it hurt the game. I was ambivalent towards her until the end. Saving Lev who was equally forgettable didnt do much for me either. If anything, by the end of the game I was more angry with Ellie for simply not letting go and continuing to want revenge. I hadnt forgiven Abby but by the end i was sick of both characters lusting for revenge. I guess thats what Neil was trying to get across, but I think the story wouldve been better served if Abby had to save Ellie instead of some random new character no one gives a shit about. And if Ellie kept coming back over and over again through out the game instead of disappearing half way through the story and showing up again at the very end.

The turning point for many was Abby letting Ellie and Dina live. I think that shouldve come much earlier in the story and I know she did let Ellie live in Jackson at the start of the game.
For me turning point was her relationship with Owen. that poor fucking guy lol.
Anyway - I love the game but I agree that even though I think the bold decisions are excellent, it overall hurt the sales FOR SURE. Seems like everyone hates this game.
I guess market is not ready/don't want game that fucks them in the ass so to speak :p

SlimySnake

For me turning point was her relationship with Owen. that poor fucking guy lol.
Anyway - I love the game but I agree that even though I think the bold decisions are excellent, it overall hurt the sales FOR SURE. Seems like everyone hates this game.
I guess market is not ready/don't want game that fucks them in the ass so to speak :p
oh god I hate Owen. Watch the scene where Ellie Kills Owen and his pregnant gf. She had no intention of killing either of them. She just wanted Abby's location. Watch how he completely manipulates the situation making it worse putting his own unborn baby's life in danger by attacking Ellie. He knew that Mel was going to give up Abby and so he chose Abby over Mel and his own child. A child he was ready to leave behind just a few hours prior.

He's the biggest piece of shit in the game lmao.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
oh god I hate Owen. Watch the scene where Ellie Kills Owen and his pregnant gf. She had no intention of killing either of them. She just wanted Abby's location. Watch how he completely manipulates the situation making it worse putting his own unborn baby's life in danger by attacking Ellie. He knew that Mel was going to give up Abby and so he chose Abby over Mel and his own child. A child he was ready to leave behind just a few hours prior.

He's the biggest piece of shit in the game lmao.
Owen is just such a flawed and tragic guy. Maybe that's why I find him so relatable. He made all the wrong choices but that what makes him human in my eyes.
he really got the shortest end of the stick of them all :(
I agree, some of his sections were boring when I played it but man, when I think about him, I get sad. They will never be together.
And the aquarium is a great location

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Remastering games from two years ago is a problem it’s toying with consumers can we get last of us 3, new ip and uncharted 5 stuff?

solidus12

Hey a bit unrelated. So I bought Part1 while it looks great, I noticed that the in game models take a hit compared to the models in cutscenes.

I thought with the PS5, the difference would be negligible like Forbidden West or Ragnarok.

NickFire

I think a native version of this one has the same odds as the sun rising tomorrow. If they didn’t already do part 1 I might question it a tiny bit. But they did, so the lack of other updates (to date :messenger_beaming:) don’t seem too relevant to me.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Why? You really think releasing a port takes any time away from something else?
I wouldn’t mind a native port with dualsense support, 4k, vrr, fast loading and so on.
It doesn’t need any assets updates to its a really easy port probably.
Yes of course releasing a port takes time away from something else.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think a native version of this one has the same odds as the sun rising tomorrow. If they didn’t already do part 1 I might question it a tiny bit. But they did, so the lack of other updates (to date :messenger_beaming:) don’t seem too relevant to me.
Oh, I won't disagree, I said so much in the past as well. Especially timed with the show.

Dev resource hogging, this is not. Sky is falling, less so.

Yes of course releasing a port takes time away from something else.
That's not how it works, since there is a lot of stall time in certain departments in game development. This gives them "busy work" and hones their skillset.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
That's not how it works, since there is a lot of stall time in certain departments in game development. This gives them "busy work" and hones their skillset.
Of course that is how it works. Everything has an opportunity cost, everything. There are any number of things they can work on, other than a completely unnecessary port nobody asked for.

SlimySnake

Hey a bit unrelated. So I bought Part1 while it looks great, I noticed that the in game models take a hit compared to the models in cutscenes.

I thought with the PS5, the difference would be negligible like Forbidden West or Ragnarok.
Yeah, thats a huge pet peeve of mine with TLOU2. That was an issue with TLOU2 so its obviously an issue with the remake which is built on the same engine. I bitched about this screenshot in one of the TLOU2 trailers because you literally cant make out her face.

hKZk8L7.png

She looks like this in cutscenes.
tJ4NGrl.png

Even up close during gameplay, she doesnt look nearly as good as she does in cutscenes.
FY9pdjVXwAEUDCY

0x0.jpg

FU3T7AZXsAINwUK

Aloy looks amazing in gameplay no matter how far away shes from the screen.

FQBMpKkWQA0UXY3

FbvfiNUXoAIi3ij

Ffisu3sXoAAalnu

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Looks like the Part II OT got locked, so posting here. Replaying Part II now after finishing the Remake, and the writing is like day and night. Whereas Part I is economical, with cutscenes having strong narrative thrust and almost no fat to the dialogue, Part II really seems to love the sound of its own voice.

You go from a plot where you're talking about saving the future of humanity and focusing mainly on like five characters you really get to know deeply and quickly, with cutscenes that don't waste a second giving crucial plot or character information to a meandering story about Capital R "Revenge", with a cast of generic character saying generic things.

It's been said before, but Part II would benefit from being half its length story- and cutscene-wise while keeping the same number of combat encounters--which are fantastic, imo.

I don't think a Director's Cut, which would likely add MORE content will correct what I see as this game's flaws.

Here's hoping Part III decides to pare down from the scope of II, but that's probably unlikely.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Looks like the Part II OT got locked, so posting here. Replaying Part II now after finishing the Remake, and the writing is like day and night. Whereas Part I is economical, with cutscenes having strong narrative thrust and almost no fat to the dialogue, Part II really seems to love the sound of its own voice.

You go from a plot where you're talking about saving the future of humanity and focusing mainly on like five characters you really get to know deeply and quickly, with cutscenes that don't waste a second giving crucial plot or character information to a meandering story about Capital R "Revenge", with a cast of generic character saying generic things.

It's been said before, but Part II would benefit from being half its length story- and cutscene-wise while keeping the same number of combat encounters--which are fantastic, imo.

I don't think a Director's Cut, which would likely add MORE content will correct what I see as this game's flaws.

Here's hoping Part III decides to pare down from the scope of II, but that's probably unlikely.

I still find it a bit weird that they looked at what made Part 1 so successful: the complexity and power of relationships, and how they are forged by experience. ...and threw out all of that for a generic revenge story.

Get the impression the high concept of 'make the player empathise with the villain' came ahead of everything, at the expense of anything more complex, like the first game.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I still find it a bit weird that they looked at what made Part 1 so successful: the complexity and power of relationships, and how they are forged by experience. ...and threw out all of that for a generic revenge story.

Get the impression the high concept of 'make the player empathise with the villain' came ahead of everything, at the expense of anything more complex, like the first game.
Well-said. And maybe because it's "theme-first" in such an obvious and manipulating manner that it comes off as grating and pretentious. Like, literally, the pretense behind it all is: "You will emphasize with Abby by the end." Ok, the game has a theme. But does it have a story behind that theme worth telling? Eh...

What if there was a prequel where we really get to understand where Robert was coming from when he screwed over Tess and Joel at the beginning of Part One? And it turns out he was justified in his decision. Probably could've changed the way we look at how they summarily execute him, but...so what?

I think the game is successful in evoking a sense of loss though, regarding Joel. I feel actual grief in knowing that we don't get to have more adventures with him and Elder Ellie. Which I guess is "brave", but "brave" doesn't mean I have to like it.

Neilg

I cant roll my eyes harder. Cheaper and quicker to up res the graphics on older titles then make new ones, right?

Do you think this takes resources away from other games they're making?

It's going to be a team of 10 people who've been figuring out new lighting tech and shaders ahead of their next game that are putting this together. Allows the engine people to figure out kinks and do some real work using a full game instead of having to wait 2 years until tlou3 is nearly done to find out the new lighting makes fur look wrong behind glass during night scenes or some other dumb shit that needs new code to fix. You got a big team of people working on stuff like that these days and this is the best way to keep them busy and productive.

It won't be a full price remake, at most it'll be a $10 upgrade.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Well-said. And maybe because it's "theme-first" in such an obvious and manipulating manner that it comes off as grating and pretentious. Like, literally, the pretense behind it all is: "You will emphasize with Abby by the end." Ok, the game has a theme. But does it have a story behind that theme worth telling? Eh...

What if there was a prequel where we really get to understand where Robert was coming from when he screwed over Tess and Joel at the beginning of Part One? And it turns out he was justified in his decision. Probably could've changed the way we look at how they summarily execute him, but...so what?

I think the game is successful in evoking a sense of loss though, regarding Joel. I feel actual grief in knowing that we don't get to have more adventures with him and Elder Ellie. Which I guess is "brave", but "brave" doesn't mean I have to like it.

All these words. Are you sober rn?

Neilg

Yeah, thats a huge pet peeve of mine with TLOU2. That was an issue with TLOU2 so its obviously an issue with the remake
Aloy looks amazing in gameplay no matter how far away shes from the screen.
This isn't down to the engine, it's an art direction thing. For aloy during gameplay they have a rig of a shitload of lights surrounding her, some that move with the camera and some that don't, all designed to pick up highlights, emphasize shadows and generally offer a lighting setup that looks hand placed during gameplay. This only affects her and not the environment, and entirely switches out in different environments. It's super complex.
In cutscenes tlou has a shitload of lights floating in space to do the same thing (standard practice to light like a movie) but they all disappear during gameplay so only the ambient scene lighting hits the character. Take a look at how many lights directors like Scorsese or David fincher use around the actors for every single camera cut - they're nonsense but they make people look good. It's going to become more common but horizon is pretty much the first game to have pulled this off during gameplay.

Last edited:
Top Bottom