• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: The main character of Visceral's Star Wars game, plot and more

MSW said:
I recently heard a few interesting things about the main hero of ”Project Ragtag" aka Amy Hennig's Visceral Star Wars game. The story for the game as I've heard it sounds very complex and practically film quality in totality. The hero's connection to the main story is strong and the structure is pretty tight overall. The story takes place after A New Hope and just before The Empire Strikes Back.

We've been told that Todd Stashwick (12 Monkeys, The Riches, the Originals, Supernatural, Gotham and writer of Visceral's Star Wars game) is playing ”Dodger." Dodger isn't his real name. He was forced into the criminal underworld when he ”dodged" the draft into Imperial service, leaving home on very bad terms. When he decided to run he became wanted by the Empire and basically went into hiding in the seedy underbelly of the galaxy. He learned to be charming and how to talk fast. However, his life got a lot worse after the destruction of his home world of Alderaan and he found himself on a wanted ”survivors list" held by the Empire (a story idea which popped up in Marvel's Leia comic series).

More here: http://makingstarwars.net/2017/06/r...er-of-viscerals-star-wars-game-plot-and-more/

EDIT:

His weapon of choice is a 'lightwhip'

msw said:
Dodger is completely cable of taking care of himself and his foes. He's armed with a light whip/grapple stick and a blaster. His signature move is to activate the light whip/grapple stick and ensnare his enemies with his left hand and then blast them into oblivion with the the pistol in his right hand. There are a lot of variants on these weapons which might mean they just conceptualized a lot of these things or there will be DLC and variants to obtain in game. Either way, he uses his ”magic lasso" and his pistol to stop his enemies cold.

Yes. MSW has an solid track record.

EDIT2: More details:

Because the Empire has tightened its grip on the Outer Rim territories, a mid-level crime boss from the Rang Clan sees an opportunity to cozy up to the Empire, which can be advantageous to the Rang. The Rang's mining operations recently discovered a violaceous gas that has formed where Alderaan used to be. The purple substance can be weaponized and the Rang Clan begins to test it and set up a mining facility with mining ships in the Alderaanian graveyard.

The crime boss and the Tarkin Initiative have a valuable weapon on their hands. The weapon is obscene in that it can be sprayed on an environment and all living creatures in the area are petrified and left as calcified remains like something out of the ruins of Pompeii. The advantage to the weapon is that everything else around it is left perfectly intact. It means the Empire can take anywhere it wants, remove the inhabitants, and not harm valuables and locations they may want for strategic reasons.

There is a beautiful piece of concept art that is absolutely haunting. It shows a Star Destroyer coming towards the camera in a purple mist in an asteroid field. The purple mist is illuminated, showing different shades of purple on the blackness of space. Imagine an ominous storm on the horizon of space and a Star Destroyer and TIE fighters fly out of it but the clouds are dark purple. Words do not do it justice but if the game visually lives up to the concept art, there are going to be some intense cinematics in this game that give the Star Wars films a run for their money.

More: http://makingstarwars.net/2017/06/r...n-to-viscerals-project-ragtag-star-wars-game/

Kinyou

I guess it doesn't hurt to post the only footage we have so far

k0IHVOh.gif

That insignia on the flag is definitely from the old empire and not the first order.

"Dodger" is a x100 times worse name than Darth Icky or Darth Insanius. Looking forward to the game but hope that shit is a placeholder.

Aikidoka

I'm hoping for something more than a lovable rogue type character, but, if true, hopefully there will be some interesting take on it.

Wouldn't surprise me. Given Battlefront II's plot, if this rumour were true it seems like EA's plan is to take story ideas already established in the new canon, giving them prominence outside of comics and the like, but also providing dev teams with a starting point in terms of concept.

Lingitiz

I mean, Stashwick has been linked to Hennig over the years, so it's entirely possible.

Plus, dat MSW track record.

Haven't we known Todd Stashwick is a writer on this game since Amy went over to Visceral? I think the only thing we didn't know is that he would star as the main character, which was easy to surmise if he was writing too.

Eggbok

I guess it doesn't hurt to post the only footage we have so far

k0IHVOh.gif

That insignia on the flag is definitely from the old empire and not the first order.

So the flags are what tipped you off to it being the old empire and not the giant Star Destroyers in the sky? :p

TheXbox

OT era is a little tired, but at least it's not another story set before ANH. There's a good three-year gap before ESB.

Floody

So gameplay will be similar to Uncharted 4? Because I'm super in for that, especially if it isn't super spread out like it was in U4.

zeitgeist

My only nerd issue is:

How can they have a reliable survivors list when they blew up a whole planet? How could they possibly know who was and was not on the planet when it exploded?

I know, Midichlorians obviously

TreIII

Interesting. Lightwhip at least means it's not just another guy with a blaster, so hopefully that means other interesting weapon types may in the mix, too.

But I guess Respawn & Stig's game may be my last hope for a game not using the movies as a backdrop.

Sou Da

Interesting. Lightwhip at least means it's not just another guy with a blaster, so hopefully that means other interesting weapon types may in the mix, too.

But I guess Respawn & Stig's game may be my last hope for a game not using the movies as a backdrop.
Literally everything going forward in Star Wars media is Canon so

Top Bottom