• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] The Switch re-release of Metroid Prime 1 is ‘clearly finished’, it’s claimed

Bullet Club

The Switch re-release of Metroid Prime 1 is ‘clearly finished’, it’s claimed​

An unannounced Switch re-release of Metroid Prime is already complete, according to a reliable Nintendo insider.

Emily Rogers, an industry insider with a long track record of accurate Nintendo information, stated on Twitter on Wednesday that it was her belief that the game is ready to go.

“I’m pretty confident Metroid Prime 1 wrapped up development over the summer,” Rogers said. “I hope we still see the entire trilogy on Switch. But Prime 1 is clearly finished.”

Rogers stated in September that Nintendo was working on a re-release of Metroid Prime for Switch, separate from any potential Trilogy plans, which VGC had heard separately from our own sources.

“Last I heard, Nintendo was busy working on Metroid Prime 1 to celebrate the game’s 20th anniversary in 2022,” she tweeted at the time. “I’m not sure if we’re getting a ‘trilogy’ or just a re-release of the first game. I’m leaning toward the latter, but I hope we get the former.”

Rogers’ claims were then backed by up by VentureBeat reporter Jeff Grubb, who said he was aware of similar information.

“I think that Nintendo will rerelease Metroid Prime 1 on Switch instead of Trilogy,” he tweeted last month. “It has been working on this for years, and when I first heard, everyone (including me) assumed it was the Trilogy.”

He added: “Emily Rogers mentioned this, and I went back to look into it, and I think she’s right.”

The Metroid series is currently enjoying a small resurgence following the successful release of Metroid Dread last month.

In Japan, the game outsold the life-to-date sales of nearly every other Metroid game in the series in just its first week, and it enjoyed the best ever launch for a Metroid game in the UK.

In VGC’s Metroid Dread review, we wrote: “With a near-perfect balance of nods to the past and fresh ideas, Metroid Dread brings cinematic flair, fast-paced action and a surprising story to the side-scrolling classic. This is the comeback fans have been waiting for.”

Source: VGC

ManaByte

Was the same saying about Switch PRO?

Everyone was saying that about the Switch PRO. Pretty sure these people saw Nintendo making huge orders for OLED screens and ASSUMING that it was for a more powerful Switch, because why would anyone (except Nintendo) release the same system just with an upgraded screen. Because of that ASSUMPTION they were 100% sure the OLEDs were for a Pro console.

spons

Gold Member
What's the track record of these people? Has Rogers been right many times or should she be one of the usual suspects of the fake rumor mill?

tommib

Does this happen often, that “clearly” finished games are not announced in previews or anything resembling a promotion and just shelved ad aeternum? Does it ever happen?

Last edited:
Does this happen often, that “clearly” finished games are not announced in previews or anything resembling a promotion and just shelved ad aeternum? Does it ever happen?
G3NVGUp.gif

I'd love to play Prime again, haven't played it since the og release.
I also need to get back to Dread. I love everything about that game except the freaking emmi sequences.

Sergeant701

Neo Member
Even if it will be sold by itself, if they do a good job of remakeing it, i will buy it.
It must be 15 years since i last played it, i hope they manage to put in two stick controls.

Astral Dog

I was looking forward to replaying Prime 2 and 3 more than 1 so this leaves me with more questions than answers 😳 are they remaking the others as well? any new content? only time will tell

ckaneo

So somebody with real information cleared up the story for us a few weeks ago.

1) Retro studios was working on a full trilogy remake. It was never finished despite what Emily and others said. This was around the time a lot of fake Retro rumours came out. They were doing art only.

2) Nintendo asked Retro to help with Prime 4 because their programmers werent doing anything.

3) Retro was good at art and programming, so Nintendo realized there was really no reason to continue Bamcos struggling development

4) Because they started working on Prime 4 now they cannot finish the trilogy. They can only finish Prime 1

5) Nintendo will either get another studio to make 2 and 3 and package them together or just release what Retro did on Prime 1. It's Nintendo so probably the one that lets them charge $60 three times

Lognor

Banned
I guess I'm not surprised that it's only Metroid Prime 1 now and not the entire trilogy. I assume it's just a remaster, but even then giving us three games for $60 seems like too good of a deal from Nintendo. They will instead give us one game with maybe an extra art gallery or some shit for $60. And the sad thing is, I might buy it. I'd love a replay of MP since I haven't played it since it originally released. If $60 is what it will cost for an up-res'ed version. Fuck it, I'll do it.

I never finished Corruption, mainly because of the terrible controls. If the inevitable Switch release doesn't have other options available I'm sadly gonna take a pass.

Romulus

Probably be inferior to emulation like other 'rereleases.' I think I was playing prime near 4k 60fps.

Last edited:

AMSCD

Everyone was saying that about the Switch PRO. Pretty sure these people saw Nintendo making huge orders for OLED screens and ASSUMING that it was for a more powerful Switch, because why would anyone (except Nintendo) release the same system just with an upgraded screen. Because of that ASSUMPTION they were 100% sure the OLEDs were for a Pro console.
Pro probably was cancelled due to the chip shortage. No point launching a new system if you can't get it into people's hands.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
yeah, same thought. If its just a simple port then not including the whole trilogy is lame. Yes, MP3 needs reworking the controls, but that shouldn't be too much.

Kuranghi

I would dip my willy into Norfair's lava pools for 30 seconds straight to play this right now. I never played the Wii re-releases and I can't be bothered with emulation since I'd need to buy a sensor bar for proper IR support vs. using joycon's gyro.

I just want it to work and to play it.

MacReady13

Fuck are they waiting for? Just release the game if it is finished you assholes. God Nintendo shit me so much- on one hand they are easily my fav video game company for their amazing games today and from the past but on the other hand they shit me how they treat their old games and us gamers! Give us these games Nintendo! And don't give them to us on a subscription service please, for the love of god!

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
They finished Trilogy years ago it was true, but Nintendo released these suckers would pay for each game individually so decided to release Prime 1 in 2022, Prime 2 in 2023 and Prime 3 in 2024. Prime 4 has been rebooted again and moved to 2025.
It could be worse..

Woopah

Emily has clarified more what she does/doesn't know:

In 2017-2018, Nintendo gave Retro Studios the greenlight to remaster/remake the entire trilogy. They wanted to develop and release Prime 1 first. Then, they would use Prime 1's engine/tools/assets to remaster Prime 2 and 3 later. I repeat, the OLD plan was Prime 1 would be developed/released first, and then Prime 2-3 would be developed/released later.

But that was the OLD plan before Retro Studios took over Metroid Prime 4... before the Covid-19 pandemic....before one of their big projects got canned in 2018. I don't know if that's still the plan after Retro took over Prime 4. There's a strong chance that Covid may have changed development plans.

What I do know is:
  • Metroid Prime 1 entered QA/Testing this past summer.
  • Retro Studios was the main developer.
  • In 2019, Nintendo was actively looking for an external studio to provide additional support/assistance to Retro Studios with the Prime remaster.

Could builds of Prime 2 HD and Prime 3 HD be floating around somewhere at Nintendo? Yes, it's very, very possible. I don't know every single project or product that Nintendo is working on.

But I only have strong evidence of Metroid Prime 1 Remaster's existence.

Top Bottom