Rumor: THQ Cancels Their 2014 Line-Up & MMO, Looking For Buyers [Up: THQ Responds]

#1
Update:

THQ is notably cagey about the MMO, instead of just outright saying it is still for sure in development.

THQ:

Seda said:
Kotaku said:
THQ said:
THQ has not cancelled its 2014 line-up, and has not made any decisions regarding the planned MMO. As part of the ongoing review of our business, we have made decisions to ensure that the company is strategically addressing the most attractive markets. As we have previously announced, we have dramatically reduced our commitment to the kids' boxed games sector which leads to a significantly more focused release schedule moving forward. Our slate for calendar 2012 and beyond is focused on high-quality core games and continues to build our digital platform and business. We are excited for our pipeline of original and high-quality content along with our relationships with some of the best talent in the industry.

Additionally, we are thrilled with the great performance of Saints Row: The Third, which on a like for like period in North America has tripled in sell-through from Saints Row 2. In addition, WWE '12's worldwide sell-through sales are up almost 40% year-over-year for the same sales period with fewer platforms. According to NPD, for the month of December and the 2011 year, THQ was the #5 publisher overall, #4 third party, with reported sell through growing over 18% in a market that was down almost 6%. And coming up next, we have two great titles for the first half of the year including UFC Undisputed 3 and Darksiders 2.
Ignore the second paragraph, it's all marketing. It's the first you should focus on. Specifically, the first sentence.

One thing, the fact there'll be some kind of 2014 lineup, is very clearly stated. No room for argument. The exact future of Dark Millennium, the forever-in-development MMO based on Warhammer 40K, is not clearly stated. It's downright ambiguous.
From Kotaku
GamesIndustry.biz:

GamesIndustry.biz said:
Sources speaking to GamesIndustry.biz have suggested Dark Millennium Online, which was first announced in 2007, is currently being offered for sale to other companies.

At least one THQ project based on a Disney licence to be released in 2014 has been given back to the media firm even though the publisher has paid an advance on the IP, according to Dent.

Industry chatter suggests THQ is looking for a sale. The company has a market cap of just over $45 million - trading in the company was at a new low on Friday of $0.65. CVs for established talent at the company are said to be increasing in the recruitment market.
Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-01-15-thq-shelves-all-titles-slated-for-2014-rumour

Original:

Just for clarification: MMO = Warhammer 40K: Dark Millennium Online

Source:

Apparently, The Game Workshops MMO has been cancelled by THQ
https://twitter.com/#!/TheKevinDent/status/158454721651277824

@PeterSkerritt they cancelled all of their 2014
https://twitter.com/#!/TheKevinDent/status/158455824543531010

Also heard that THQ are offering themselves to Asian firms to increase value!
https://twitter.com/#!/TheKevinDent/status/158460060090114049

In addition, word is spreading that THQ has returned IP to Disney AFTER paying the advance, with no refund.
Jesus. Umm, hope the people working on the Warhammer MMO aren't fired and are moved on to Darksiders 2. What 2014 titles does THQ have? INsane is 2013, right? Same with Devil's Third? Hmm, what about Homefront 2?

Edit: Shit me, entirely forgot about THQ's new Canada office, the fuck are they working on, and when is it due? They hired Patrice for that...

Edit 2: Editing: I'm going to put Nirolak's post here, as people need to understand what this means;

I don't think people quite understand.

This is it.

They canceled all projects targeted for 2014. They only exist right now for the purposes of trying to sell the company.
 

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
#2
Yeah, I often wondered what place Dark Millennium would have in the current MMO/F2P market. Poor THQ.

I really want the 40K brand to continue.
 
#4
Sucks there doesn't appear to be any position for them in today's publishing structure.

Selfishly, I hope Darksiders 2 and Metro both make it out. I've got both of those coming free from my Wishlist and don't know how Valve would handle replacements if they got canceled.
 
#7
Let's hope WB is in the buying mood.




Sucks there doesn't appear to be any position for them in today's publishing structure.

Selfishly, I hope Darksiders 2 and Metro both make it out. I've got both of those coming free from my Wishlist and don't know how Valve would handle replacements if they got canceled.


10% off Valve games token.
 

ezekial45

I have assigned to you one day for each year its punishment will last.
#13
That sucks. Not surprising though. It's a bit sad to see THQ turn out like this though. Just last year, they rebranded themselves as being one of the industry leaders. Now look at them.

Yeesh! I wonder how Del Toro's and Patrice's new games is going to turn out.
 
#20
Hey hey hey hey hey, not before Darksiders 2 is out! Got that, THQ!? Don't let Vigil down on this!
I don't think people quite understand.

This is it.

They canceled all projects targeted for 2014. They only exist right now for the purposes of trying to sell the company.
 

sphinx

the piano man
#27
wait, so this means, they still plan to publish games this year and 2013 but afterwards they are done with the business and want someone to buy them?
 
#29
That's sad to hear. It really is. However it's not surprising. When you manage your company into the ground and then embrace anti consumer practices you tend to run out of money eventually. I really hope someone who hasn't adopted anti consumer practices manages to pick them up and use their franchises wisely and that everyone that works for them lands on their feet.
 
#36
wait, so this means, they still plan to publish games this year and 2013 but afterwards they are done with the business and want someone to buy them?
Well, they don't want to stop working on their immediate projects because someone who wants to buy them will probably want those.

They don't want any long term projects though because they don't want those lowering their value to buyers and they probably can't stay alive even through 2012 as it stands, so keeping the other projects going is mostly in name only unless they get a buyer.
 

ezekial45

I have assigned to you one day for each year its punishment will last.
#38
This is fucked UUUUUUUUUP.

Hopefully, Saint's Row, Red Faction, and Darksiders can find good homes. WB Games seems like a pretty cool publisher.
 

BY2K

Membero Americo
#40
I don't think people quite understand.

This is it.

They canceled all projects targeted for 2014. They only exist right now for the purposes of trying to sell the company.
Well, Darksiders 2 is coming out in 2012 unless they push it back and Vigil can still find another publisher after this, I think Darksiders has proven it's a franchise worth the trouble. So I'm good on that side.

But goddamn, THQ? I knew they had trouble recently, but damn.
 

sphinx

the piano man
#47
Well, they don't want to stop working on their immediate projects because someone who wants to buy them will probably want those.

They don't want any long term projects though because they don't want those lowering their value to buyers and they probably can't stay alive even through 2012 as it stands, so keeping the other projects going is mostly in name only unless they get a buyer.
sounds terrible, they really are knocked out.

I didn't own many THQ games but this is sad news anyway :S