• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: THQ Cancels Their 2014 Line-Up & MMO, Looking For Buyers [Up: THQ Responds]

DMeisterJ

Banned
Watching a company fold before your eyes is depressing. Especially after the successes of RF:G and UFC Undisputed in the recent past.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
/salute Danny Bilson

We'll always remember you for trying to let developers make the games they wanted to make, no mater how awful of a business strategy that was. :p

five-things-you-didntguz2w.jpg

Xater

I was kinda excited for the 40k MMO. Something I always wanted.

They also have some studios and IP I really like. I hope Vigil, Relic and Volition will find a new home should THQ go down the shitter.

MrDaravon

Hmm, this actually puts me off from buying SR3 now because I want to see how/if this affects the DLC plans for that; I don't want to get the Season Pass or whatever and get burned.

This sucks (potentially) for Darksiders 2 and SR4, but other than that I don't think I honestly care about anything else they have.

You have to give it to the Mayans, they saw this coming.

Also heard that THQ are offering themselves to Asian firms to increase value!

Would be interesting to see a Chinese group take it over.

Relic, Volition, and Darksiders Team! NOOOOOOoooo!!!!!

I hope you are happy THQ for sinking all your resources into that shitty FPS and buying millions of red balloons.

Durante

THQ published a surprisingly large number of really good games on PC. Sad to see them go. Hope Relic and Volition find a new publisher soon.

Fox Mulder

This was obvious, but I hope the talent they have finds a proper home. Volition put out a handful of fantastic and fun open world games this gen with saints row and red faction guerilla.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yep... it was the EA strategy taken to the next level, except for the fact that that strategy didn't work.

Yeah, EA lived as they could actually lose $2 billion repairing the damage they did doing that.

THQ on the other hand...

You have to give it to the Mayans, they saw this coming.

Also heard that THQ are offering themselves to Asian firms to increase value!

Would be interesting to see a Chinese group take it over.

They would have them turn every IP into a F2P mmo. Seriously. China is just as crazy about MMOs as SK.

Biggzy

I can't see anyone buying the whole of THQ. The only outcome I can see happening is for different company's buying up parts the parts of THQ that are profitable - similar to what happened with Midway I believe

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Hopefully I get enough money to buy some of their games before whoever the new publisher is removes them from the Steam storefront.

V_Ben

Banned
Yeah, EA lived as they could actually lose $2 billion repairing the damage they did doing that.

THQ on the other hand...

This is awful, all those talented developers working on games for the next year in the knowledge that their parent company is irrevocably fucked.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I wonder who Asian firm will buy them.

Probably Konami. :p

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Quite scary.
My best wishes for all the THQ devs.

Apdiddy

It's sad to see to be honest -- I remember when THQ first started and published some really crappy games, like the Ren & Stimpy and Home Alone games. To go from being another Acclaim/LJN publisher to a really top tier publisher with great games like Saints Row, Darksiders, etc. in less than 20 years is amazing.

inky

I wonder if someone like Valve would be interested for the capability alone of self-publishing it's games. Not likely I know, but still. I expect pubs just let THQ go, then bid for the IPs if no new player wants to get smart and absorb all the teams.

THQ on the other hand...

How did EA actually lose 2 billion tho? The only games I remember from that "creative period" are Mirror's Edge, Boom Blox, Dead Space (which is still going strong) and Spore.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So, who is going to end up with Relic? Who'll buy the rights to Saint's Row?

These are the big questions!!!

Its a shame what Volition did to Red Faction. Guerilla was so good-- all they had to do was release Guerilla 2 and release it during a dead period in the first half of the year and that game would have sold well.

This is awful, all those talented developers working on games for the next year in the knowledge that their parent company is irrevocably fucked.

A lot of them will jump ship before the lifeboats are dropped. The crunch period for those games will be harder because a lot of key staff will probably have farked off.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
It's sad to see to be honest -- I remember when THQ first started and published some really crappy games, like the Ren & Stimpy and Home Alone games. To go from being another Acclaim/LJN publisher to a really top tier publisher with great games like Saints Row, Darksiders, etc. in less than 20 years is amazing.
I really is. Looking through my game library, I'm surprised to see so many games I'd label as favorites made my THQ. Space Marine, Dawn of War, Saint's Row The Third. I didn't like Darksiders too much but it was a great idea. What a shame. They have so many enthusiastic and talented developers. Relic especially needs to come out unharmed.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
How did EA actually lose 2 billion tho? The only games I remember from that "creative period" are Mirror's Edge, Boom Blox, Dead Space (which is still going strong) and Spore.

They lost it for a variety of reasons, but this was the same time they had to restructure.

The vast majority of the projects under this attempt though were canceled as they went from releasing 70+ games a year to 20-25 games a year.

ezekial45

Banned
Hopefully Volition will have a rebirth much Netherealm games did after Midway went under.

Like I said, WB Games is an amazing publisher, and having them in their ranks would make things amazing for them.

Top Bottom