• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: THQ Cancels Their 2014 Line-Up & MMO, Looking For Buyers [Up: THQ Responds]

And Crytek UK can get shutdown for a lack of project, because that studio is unrelated.

Everything about Homefront is so generic all they would need to do is come up with a new name and logo and they could shop it around.

They have some strong IPs, but made extremely poor decisions. Oh well, I guess people saw this coming.

They let themselves so big that the profitable parts of their company couldn't cover them any more.

RBH

Really interested to see what happens with not only the main WWE license, but also the WWE All Stars IP as well.

C_H_T

I wonder who Asian firm will buy them.

Probably Konami. :p

Konami could, because they don't have many games to release besides Metal Gear and PES.
Probably Capcom, they like/love western devs. Moreover they can use Itagaki's team to make the next Devil May Cry.

I remember when Acclaim went out officially there were a lot of comparisons made to THQ, and people questioned how they managed to stay in business. Their long standing contract deals with WWE, Nick, Disney, etc. obviously helped with that, but apparently that has bottomed out. Sucks to because I feel like this generation they really attempted to branch out creatively and make a name for themselves.

Who would have thought a tablet would have been what took them out?

That'll teach em for making good games!

The fuck is wrong with this industry :\

I own darksiders , dawn of war II and expansions.
Have you done your part?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
How many folks are going to lose thir jobs? About 500?

Problem with this scenario: Nintendo already has a treasure trove of great IPs they ignore because they don't find the M.O. anymore.

By M.O., I'm talking 10 million sellers like Mario, Mario Kart, Mario Party, SSB, Wii Sports, Animal Crossing, etc. Going after hardcore titles with limited sales potential is not something that really interests Nintendo anymore (unless it's the RPGs for the Japanese home market, which these titles are most certainly not).

Unless you are specifically talking about NOA I disagree, Nintendo have published many games this gen that had no real chance of getting close to a million (let alone 10 million) sales.

I wonder who will get the WWE license and if this means we might actually get a good wrestling game. (All Stars being the exception)

THQ has been around since the late 80s or early 90s so it's kind of sad to see them go. This gen has been brutal.

Nairume

Banned
Problem with this scenario: Nintendo already has a treasure trove of great IPs they ignore because they don't find the M.O. anymore.

By M.O., I'm talking 10 million sellers like Mario, Mario Kart, Mario Party, SSB, Wii Sports, Animal Crossing, etc. Going after hardcore titles with limited sales potential is not something that really interests Nintendo anymore (unless it's the RPGs for the Japanese home market, which these titles are most certainly not).

Certain parts of THQ's IP have the capability to at least break a million sales world wide to where it'd be worthwhile to them. Even if they don't use all of the IP, the specific development teams would definitely help Nintendo's transition into HD development.

Ceebs

I wonder if Games Workshop would be interested in picking up Relic during this upcoming fire sale on the cheap to do Warhammer games in house for them.

How many folks are going to lose thir jobs? About 500?

Way more then that, from wiki.

THQ Studio Montreal in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, founded in October 2010 is THQ's first North American studio that was not acquired. It is also described to be THQ's largest studio hiring more than 500 employees.

This ones gonna' sting.

[Nintex]

I don't expect a publisher to pick up THQ as a whole because that would've happened much earlier. I guess Volition/Vigil/etc. will be picked up by different buyers when THQ folds. Otherwise Nintendo, Microsoft, EA and others will just wait for the studios to close and pick up the people they need when they do. So Vigil staff moves to Retro, Crytek UK(?) staff gets to work at MGS Soho and Volition's staff might be interesting for Rockstar. The same thing happened when Bizarre closed. No one bought the entire studio, they just all offered jobs to some key people.

Unless Microsoft is really adventureous the future seems grim.

Kifimbo

We forgot Turtle Rock new game. Made of list of upcoming games from THQ.

Confirmed:
Devil's Third
inSANE
Patrice Désilets' new game at THQ Montréal
South Park RPG (distributor only)
Darksider II
Next WWE
UFC 3
Homefront 2
Metro Last Light
Nexuiz
Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium
Saints Row 4
Turtle Rock new game
Adidas mi coach (dead ?)

Rumored:
Company of Heroes 2
Dawn of War 3

Other THQ franchises:
Homeworld
Red Faction
de Blob

Studios owned by THQ
Relic Entertainment
THQ Studio San Diego
Vigil Games
Volition
THQ Studio Montreal

Feel free to add.

I know good people from Relic and Volition is one of my favorite companies, hope they come out of this clean, same with Patrice and his new studio.

On the other hand, hope that means the WWE license can go to another company and we can get a new engine for the series finally

Shiggy

My only THQ game this gen was de Blob for Wii. The company really made some really bad decisions by cutting all Wii support and shutting down Wii-exclusive studios early on.

DieH@rd

Banned
I hope that Vigil owns Darksiders IP, if not then I DONT WANNA LIVE IN THIS WORLD ANYMORE.

Also, who owns Homeworld IP? Relic or THQ?

1-D_FTW

Unless you are specifically talking about NOA I disagree, Nintendo have published many games this gen that had no real chance of getting close to a million (let alone 10 million) sales.

I'm talking a lot about NOA because Nintendo wouldn't be buying THQ for the Japanese market. It would have to be done for the western divisions. And when NOA shows zero interest in these type of projects, what would be the point?

I hope volition can get through it ok. SR3 was something special. I hope its not remembered as THQ's last gasp.

Anyone rumored to have been in talks with the company? I know THQ buyout rumors have been around for a bit but I havent been fallowing them.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty sad to see this happening.

How many publishers/devs have gone under or come close this gen? It seems like there have been a ton ... Bizarre Creations, Blue Tongue, Cing, Clover Studios, Ensemble Studios, Factor5(US Branch), Incognito, Krome Studios (meh), Midway, Pandemic Studios, Team Bondi and now THQ.

Seems more than last gen to me.

C_H_T

I hope that Vigil owns Darksiders IP, if not then I DONT WANNA LIVE IN THIS WORLD ANYMORE.

Also, who owns Homeworld IP? Relic or THQ?

about the Darksiders IP:

© 2011 THQ Inc. Developed by Vigil Games. Darksiders, Vigil Games, THQ and their respective logos are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of THQ Inc. All rights reserved. All other trademarks, logos and copyrights are property of their respective owners.

Combine

Banned
Absorbing Vigil into Retro Studios (both Austin studios) would be cool and give Nintendo a big new team for another project, which would be great since Vigil was one of the first devs who demonstrated/talked about Wii U development.

Of course if it's cheaper, they'd just wait and cherry pick individual people who leave the studio.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
My only THQ game this gen was de Blob for Wii. The company really made some really bad decisions by cutting all Wii support and shutting down Wii-exclusive studios early on.

I don't think that was their bad decision. Their bad decision was pouring money into huge projects that nobody wanted. They saw the success of de Blob and decided to give it a sequel with a bigger budget on all three platforms, tie in merchandise, and even a SyFy Kids cartoon series. The latter two fell through because despite being good it was one that nobody asked for, there was no real market for, and thus it tanked.

uDraw did pretty well on the Wii. Their dipshit financial analysts projected that the tablet would do just as well on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, so THQ threw money behind that. We have them piling up in the store. Nobody wants them.

THQ could have done a better job of making things people were asking for, but their money sink was putting tons of cash into things nobody was asking for. They were throwing money away.

Absorbing Vigil into Retro Studios would be cool and give Nintendo a big new team for another project, which would be great since Vigil was one of the first devs who demonstrated/talked about Wii U development.

Nooooooooooooooo, I want more DS not those people working some shitty old Nintendo IP no one else wants.

Top Bottom