• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: THQ Cancels Their 2014 Line-Up & MMO, Looking For Buyers [Up: THQ Responds]

Wiktor

I just want Vigil and Relic to find a good home. The problem is, I don't see any publisher that could buy Relic and not destroy it. Except maybe Sega.

NHale

It seems they are only delaying the inevitable. Unless some of their 2012 games sell like gangbusters they aren't going to survive through this year.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Um since when is Relic working on the MMO? I thought this was a Vigil thing....

Relic has been working on the project with Vigil for several years, since they have experience with the IP. The Relic team might have existed as far back as 2007 (same year as Vigil's formation), since there are job postings around that time for an unannounced MMO.

There's also no Space Marine 2 because that team was moved over to the MMO as well.

Busty

Banned
I just want Vigil and Relic to find a good home. The problem is, I don't see any publisher that could buy Relic and not destroy it. Except maybe Sega.

I've said it before but Warners would be a great fit for THQ and it's various IPs. They did a great job transitioning Midway's IPs and teams into their own set ups. Just look at Netherrealm Studios.

And THQ's current roster of IPs (primarily Saint's Row, Homefront and Red Faction) would all be right up WB's alley. Especially as possible 'cross platform' properties with WB film & TV, DC comics etc.

There's also no Space Marine 2 because that team was moved over to the MMO as well.

This seems like the most colossal, easily-avoided amateur rookie mistake a game developer could make.

Why don't we just move our team, fresh off of a successful and promising debut in a genre with mass appeal like almost no other, onto this massive time and money sink of a game destined to be 5 years behind the curve in a genre that is in the midst of massive sea change.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This seems like the most colossal, easily-avoided amateur rookie mistake a game developer could make.

Why don't we just move our team, fresh off of a successful and promising debut in a genre with mass appeal like almost no other, onto this massive time and money sink of a game destined to be 5 years behind the curve in a genre that is in the midst of massive sea change.

Ask Bilson:

Joystiq said:
THQ's Bilson 'not sure there's room' for Space Marine sequel alongside MMO
by Mike Schramm on Oct 14th 2011 8:15AM

Joystiq got a chance to chat with THQ's Executive Vice President of Core Games, Danny Bilson, at a Saints Row: The Third event earlier this week. He spoke to us about Space Marine's chances for a sequel, and what he plans for THQ this holiday and beyond.

Bilson says Warhammer 40K: Space Marine is "doing okay," and that "40K fans in particular" were pleased. "It's a really good game, it's doing pretty well. In this world, honestly, you have to do exceptionally well to make any money, because the games are so expensive." Bilson hopes the game keeps selling, and expects the impending release of co-op DLC and "more DLC after that" to help maintain its momentum.

He balks at promising a sequel, however, saying that the Space Marine gameplay may bump up against THQ's planned Warhammer 40K MMO, Dark Millennium, in 2013. "We've already announced the Imperium in the MMO as a class you can play," he says, "and if you combine that it's very active, as opposed to the more turn-based stuff. I'm not sure there's room for Space Marine." But there is more coming for you, battle brothers: "We are heavily invested in the 40K universe, so there's more stuff coming in the 40K universe, absolutely. We extended the deal for quite a while."

As for this year, THQ's latest push is obviously Saints Row (which is out on November 15), and Bilson lays out the beginning of 2012 succinctly: "We've got WWE on the 22nd of November, UFC 3 in February, and then Darksiders 2 will be our next big release after that. It's coming, we're just finishing it up, it's really great."

According to Bilson, the company is trying to narrow its focus, and has done so by investing strongly in five key studios. "We have five studios now: Relic, Volition, Vigil, San Diego, which is going to be building UFC in the future. And then Montreal, where we're building Patrice Desilet's game at the moment, so he's up there working away now."

Bilson says he's excited to have Saints Row out now, and just as excited to see it in a "fall season" full of high-profile releases. "For my opinion," he says, "the greatest lineup of games I've ever seen in my life are coming out the next two months. And Saints Row holds its own and stands among those, because it's not comparable to the other stuff. It's very different."
Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/10/14/thqs-bilson-not-sure-theres-room-for-space-marine-sequel-alo/

Even if things go bad and Relic gets bought by someone else, do they still keep the Warhammer license? Would imagine it would have to be renegotiated with whatever publisher picks em up.

I'll defer to Bilson's knowledge of what Dark Millenium Online is, but he's a nutjob if he thinks an PC-exclusive, subscription-based MMO doesn't leave room for more entries in a multiplatform third person action/shooter series.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'll defer to Bilson's knowledge of what Dark Millenium Online is, but he's a nutjob if he thinks an PC-exclusive, subscription-based MMO doesn't leave room for more entries in a multiplatform third person action/shooter series.

DMO is on consoles too actually.

They seem to be slowly walking off the subscription boat with that one as well.

It's supposed to be like an action/shooter MMO IIRC.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So, looking at this statement again, THQ:

1.) Did not say they were not actively seeking a buyer.
2.) Addressed the MMO in an extremely ambiguous fashion, both in terms of whether it is canceled and in terms of whether they are trying to sell it.
3.) Did not address the claim of handing back licenses.
4.) The only statements they made in regards to 2014 is that their entire line-up isn't canceled.

This is more a non-denial than I thought.

Wiktor

I've said it before but Warners would be a great fit for THQ and it's various IPs. They did a great job transitioning Midway's IPs and teams into their own set ups. Just look at Netherrealm Studios.

And THQ's current roster of IPs (primarily Saint's Row, Homefront and Red Faction) would all be right up WB's alley. Especially as possible 'cross platform' properties with WB film & TV, DC comics etc.

The problem is that Relic is great PC developer, but merely decent console one. And I don't see Warner Bros allowing them to remain primarly PC-centric studio.
I'm sure WB could do great stuff with THQ's console IPs, but I'm afraid they wouldk kill the PC ones. It would be another Monolith situation.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So, looking at this statement again, THQ:

1.) Did not say they were not actively seeking a buyer.
2.) Addressed the MMO in an extremely ambiguous fashion, both in terms of whether it is canceled and in terms of whether they are trying to sell it.
3.) Did not address the claim of handing back licenses.
4.) The only statements they made in regards to 2014 is that their entire line-up isn't canceled.

This is more a non-denial than I thought.

Moreover they didn't take the opportunity to more generally comment on their fiscal health :p

Hero

Seriously. When a companies stock nose dived from over $6.00 to around $.62, drastic measures are being put in place.

Wow, I just checked this and it is absolutely mind boggling that just a year ago the stock was going for 6 dollars a share like you said. Years ago it was around the 25 dollar mark.

ban25

Ironically, I just started playing Conan (2007) again recently, one of THQ's better releases in my opinion.

Busty

Banned
Wow, I just checked this and it is absolutely mind boggling that just a year ago the stock was going for 6 dollars a share like you said. Years ago it was around the 25 dollar mark.

I know exactly what you mean and I just hope that Sony's current situation isn't a mirror of the place THQ was in last year and the place it finds itself in now.

Just a couple of months ago Sony's share price was roughly $22 a share and a friend of mine said that if Sony's price dipped below $20 a share it could be near 'terminal' for the company's survival.

Sony's current trade price is hovering at $17 a share and at one point before Xmas was at barely $16 a share.

I know exactly what you mean and I just hope that Sony's current situation isn't a mirror of the place THQ was in last year and the place it finds itself in now.

Just a couple of months ago Sony's share price was roughly $22 a share and a friend of mine said that if Sony's price dipped below $20 a share it could be near 'terminal' for the company's survival.

Sony's current trade price is hovering at $17 a share and at one point before Xmas was at barely $16 a share.

Must be that bad. o_O How much is Nintendo and Microsoft per share?

A companies market value is a trailing indicator of their health, not a leading one.
It's not "They are going to be in trouble if their value drops below x.xx value"
It's "The market value dropping below x.xx is a sign things are looking bad"

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Ironically, I just started playing Conan (2007) again recently, one of THQ's better releases in my opinion.

It's funny, I wouldn't call the game a cult classic, but lately I've seen three or four posters in different threads in different contexts offer positive feedback on the game, so I feel like it's getting a bit of a resurgence!

guek

Banned
Must be that bad. o_O How much is Nintendo and Microsoft per share?

According to the tokyo stock exchange, it's currently:

Nintendo: ¥10,300 = $133.94 w/141,669 thousand issued shares
Sony: ¥1,293 = $16.81 w/1,004,636 thousand issued shares

edit: whoops! misread your post, thought you were asking about nintendo and sony. *goes to track down MS*

edit2:

Microsoft: $28.25 w/60,204,902 issued shares according to NYSE

According to the tokyo stock exchange, it's currently:

Nintendo: ¥10,300 = $133.94 w/141,669 thousand issued shares
Sony: ¥1,293 = $16.81 w/1,004,636 thousand issued shares

edit: whoops! misread your post, thought you were asking about nintendo and sony. *goes to track down MS*

edit2:

Microsoft: $28.25 w/60,204,902 issued shares according to NYSE

Microsoft has 8.4 Billion shares out there.

Busty

Banned
A senior source within Disney is saying that there was no reason to believe that THQ's project based on Pixar's Brave was shelved:

http://www.develop-online.net/news/39497/THQs-Pixar-game-Brave-has-not-been-cancelled

But that game (and film) are out THIS year. With the development work already done so why wouldn't THQ release it. THQ could even just 'piggy back' on the film's marketing providing they are released at the same time.

Presumably it's future Disney projects that have been effected by this situation.

A companies market value is a trailing indicator of their health, not a leading one.
It's not "They are going to be in trouble if their value drops below x.xx value"
It's "The market value dropping below x.xx is a sign things are looking bad"

This is true, it was probably my wording that lead to the confusion. My point was that despite all Sony's acquisitions their stock price continues to tumble.

Top Bottom