• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor- Tomb Raider Collection coming to Nintendo Switch, Steam, X Box, and PS4

RAIDEN1

I only added the 20th anniversary edition to my PSN downloads a few days ago...too busy with Spiderman!

Last edited:

Thurible

That would be cool. I've never played a tomb raider game and just got one on steam from the ssale, but playing it on the switch would be nice.

Orta

Banned
I replayed the original (1996) a few months ago on pc. I patched it for modern controller compatibility and increased resolution, textures etc and it still holds up very well. Give it a level or two and even the tank controls aren't an issue if you approach the game in a relaxed manner, which is easy to do as enemies are very sparse, and that brings me on to the highlight of the game which is still 100% present today, the overwhelming sense of isolation, scale and atmosphere contained throughout which is what made Tomb Raider an absolute classic.

Highly, highly reccomended to anyone thinking of giving it a playthrough.

ZehDon

Gold Member
How? Did you go back in time?

I replayed the original circa 3 years ago and it’s still a blast. I always dreaded returning to the PS versions because of limited saves and loading times, but modern PC versions with infinite saves and quick loading allow you to just enjoy the games and they still absolutely hold up.
Glad you enjoyed it! I used a guide on steam to get it running in a more modern format - ultra wide support, unlimited saves, etc. I still ran into several issues with the game - some of the later levels have questionable level designs, I encountered two separate levels where you can reach the end and become stuck because you missed something earlier in the level or completed the puzzles out of order, and a glitch with the mirror critter where it breaks after a load. Overall, I enjoyed it, but it’s clear that game design as a whole has evolved enormously from the original game. The combat is uninvolved, the movement is clunky, and the puzzles are pretty simplistic. I couldn’t recommend it to someone today in the same way that I could recommend the original Mario, Warcraft 2, or Doom, which all hold up pretty damn well in comparison. With that said, it’s a real piece of history, and it’s worth a play through if you’re interested to see the progenitor of modern action adventure games. I’m still looking forward to playing the rest, some for the first time.

RSB

Banned
I would totally buy a collection that included all five of the original PSX games made by Core Design. That was Tomb Raider at its finest (and most pure) form.

The first trilogy by Crystal Dynamics is pretty ok too, but those don't interest me nearly as much, since I can already play them on Xbox One (BC) Though I wouldn't complain if they were included in the collection.

Anyway, please be true.

BTW, Capcom should do the same with the original RE trilogy. Release them on current consoles and Steam, hopefully with a few optional extras like quick-turn on all three games, door skip, AI enhanced backgrounds, etc.

diffusionx

Gold Member
4WzHh72.jpg

I'll buy this for Angel of Darkness.

I wonder if it’s even possible to remaster the original Core Design games. I was actually a big fan of those back in the day. I don’t think the engine would translate well to a modern update.

Best you could do for those would be a resolution bump. Or maybe some enterprising port developer could re-create all the textures in high res. That would almost look even weirder, to have higher resolution photo realistic textures on a low poly grid-based environment with tank controls, etc.

But those original games do you have a massive charm to them, even if it’s largely nostalgia.

They remade the first game, obviously, and it was pretty good, but even that is over a decade old by now, and I highly doubt they're going to give that treat to 2-5.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So a re-release of the PS3 collection, but on modern consoles?
The Tomb Raider HD Collection never included the Original Games or the "Lara Croft and the" series
This seems to indicate it includes
Tomb Raider 1996
Tomb Raider II 1997
Tomb Raider III 1998
Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation 1999
Tomb Raider: Chronicles 2000
Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness 2003
Tomb Raider 2006
Tomb Raider: Anniversary 2007
Tomb Raider: Underworld 2008
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris

Day fucking one, I'm curious to what they'll look like though 🤔

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Square Enix has probably ported more games than any other publisher (Capcom?) to current gen consoles and for some reason can't port the game I really want:

Deus Ex Human Revolution

II_JumPeR_I

I replayed the original (1996) a few months ago on pc. I patched it for modern controller compatibility and increased resolution, textures etc and it still holds up very well. Give it a level or two and even the tank controls aren't an issue if you approach the game in a relaxed manner, which is easy to do as enemies are very sparse, and that brings me on to the highlight of the game which is still 100% present today, the overwhelming sense of isolation, scale and atmosphere contained throughout which is what made Tomb Raider an absolute classic.

Highly, highly reccomended to anyone thinking of giving it a playthrough.
How do you patch these for modern Controller support?

Esppiral

There is openlara for PC and Switch if anyone has the need to replay the original game "remastered" Something tells me that they will do something very similar.

YCoCg

Square Enix has probably ported more games than any other publisher (Capcom?) to current gen consoles and for some reason can't port the game I really want:

Deus Ex Human Revolution
After the botch job they did with Director's Cut? Which luckily a modder fixed some of it but there's still issues with the sound quality drop, etc.

Orta

Banned
How do you patch these for modern Controller support?

Download JoyToKey and customize to your liking.

Here's an xbox360 .cfg file to put in the JoyToKey folder that mirrors the PSX controls

Nico_D

Deus Ex Human Revolution

Yeah why not, I enjoyed it, especially the director's cut with fixed boss fights. That said,. I felt that with some build - extended cloak, speed and silent running - made it far too easy just to run through the maps without no one detecting you. I think MD was better balanced.

MrA

Banned
I can definitely dig the original and 1st reboot games,
Though I think 2+ could use a map of some sort, the original levels were small enough that the gimmicks of the rooms made them easy to keep track of, 2 and beyond I think the levels got too large without enough.to make everything stand out

Danny 117

God I'd love them to release these games on current gen, maybe with a graphics update but leave the engine alone. There are some ridiculous speedrun strats for TR1-5.

Allandor

Well, the really old Tomb Raiders (all before the xb360/ps3 versions) don't really play that well. The controls are just not suitable any longer. Those were great games but they need a full overhaul. I hope for a remaster of those old games. An Anniversary-edition like overhaul. But I think this will only include all from this ps360 gen up to the current gen. But well.. the current games for the switch ... ... so only last gen games than.

Last edited:

Fake

Download JoyToKey and customize to your liking.

Here's an xbox360 .cfg file to put in the JoyToKey folder that mirrors the PSX controls

Is this for playing the first Tomb Raider? I trying for ages make my DS4 work with this game.
I have the Gold edition with the DLC.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I don't even know how this can work on the Switch. Isn't it gonna be huge in size? I'm on my last 20% of my 400GB SD card and I buy everything physical when possible. I'm fearing it's going to be a massive download :messenger_downcast_sweat:
I know the struggle, fortunately flash storage is cheap where I live.

CamHostage

I take it this was BS then?

Seems like it, sadly. The "leaked" graphic seemed fakey (unless the Lara Croft top-down games were going to be included as well?)

But if anybody from Square Enix/Eidos/Crystal Dynamics is listening, one please...

Last edited:
Top Bottom