• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Treasure might be done making new games.

Mechazawa

So, this is something that I thought was worth bringing up and I haven't seen a thread on.

On the latest Giant Bombcast, since it was GDC week, the guys had Mark Mcdonald and(Gaf's own) John Ricciardi of 8-4 as guests. One of the subjects that was broached was that word around town is that, in the wake of Gaist Crusher be a non-starting bet, Treasure might have now shifted towards being more of a license holding company.

They do make it a point that Treasure has historically been, like, 3 dudes anyways and that the company is still technically around, so some minds might be changed at some point in the future. But between Treasure's last public commitment to a new game being a vague claim that they'd be interested in releasing a Steam title post-Ikaruga launch two years ago, them heavily leaning into releasing their older games in the past few years and....pretty much nothing else coming out other than a refresh of Gaist Crusher in 2014, the writing is looking a little bleak in terms of getting some New Stuff out of them.

RIP the greatest video game company ever made?

Timestamps in case you want to hear for yourselves: 2:22:20 - 2:24:38

Meicyn

Gold Member
That's sad to hear. I will still never forget being blown away by Radiant Silvergun when it first came out.

Tain

the least shocking thing I've heard all day, tbh.

I'm not as big of a fan of their gameography as many, but Ikaruga, Gradius V, Alien Soldier, and both Sin & Punishments are great games. I'm glad Ikaruga got a great Steam release.

dadjumper

Oh yeah, I heard that on the new Bombcast. I always figured Treasure were done a long time ago, though, especially after Geist Crusher turned out to be Not Great. Still, one of my favourite devs.

Incredibly sad news. RS stands in my top 10 games of all time-
Radiant_silvergun.jpg

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

They're one of my favorite devs ever, they defined my childhood and my early adulthood.

Zombine

Banned
Yeah but...how good was that output tho? They're like the Beatles of the industry. Sure, you'll find yourself daydreaming about what could have been, but I appreciate what we got and I'll continue to pick up any of the re-releases.

Thanks for nothing Yoko Ono.

To be honest, I think Treasure lived and died with 2D games, particularly in the 16-bit era. I doubt any of the guys working have any desire to make games beyond that scope, not that they don't thrive on portable consoles.

Sin & Punishment: Star Successor was their swansong, in my mind. Their magnum opus, the big masterpiece that combined their love for genre shifts, dope boss fights, and challenging action game scenarios in one smooth package.

RIP in peace Treasure. Platinum Games will have to carry the touch for crazy Japanese action games now.

Yeah, when Daemon said on the latest Gamescoop that he thought Treasure didn't make games anymore I had to go check and was super shocked that they all but closed down a few years ago.

Llyranor

I blame S&P 2 even though it was so good

Sin & Punishment: Star Successor was their swansong, in my mind. Their magnum opus, the big masterpiece that combined their love for genre shifts, dope boss fights, and challenging action game scenarios in one smooth package.

RIP in peace Treasure. Platinum Games will have to carry the touch for crazy Japanese action games now.
It's an amazing swan song, at least. One of my favorite games ever.

RIP (rumored) Treasure ;___;

Ex-Treasure people will be folded into P*'s shooter team

Then they will truly be perfect

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I kinda always assumed Sin & Punishment 2 was their swan song after the internet tricked Nintendo into making it despite NoA's objections.

Tain

Ex-Treasure people will be folded into P*'s shooter team

ex-Treasure, ex-Cave. Treasure brings the aesthetics, Cave brings the mechanics.

that's the dream right there, but the only thing this superteam works on is individual one-off levels in Kamiya games

Eolz

Noooooooo!
I really wish Nintendo collaborated with them on Star Fox Zero instead. Probably would have been better too. They always had a good relationship too (cf S&P2 Iwata Asks), would have made sense for them to become 2nd party.

Hope it's nothing definitive and that those rumors aren't entirely true.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Is there anything backing up this "rumour" or is it just observation? Treasure hasn't done anything but ports, sequels and licensed work for over a decade now and they've always had a revolving-door staff that come and go depending on individual projects.

They'll make new games when someone foots the bill, basically--publishers like Microsoft might pay lip service to Treasure but they won't actually finance anything new.

Platinum might find themselves in the same position eventually, honestly.

Balb

If any Japanese studio needs and deserves financial support from one of the first party publishers, it's Treasure. Really hope Nintendo/Sony/MS can make something happen.

Tain

Is Radiant Silvergun available on PC?
Any other Treasure games besides Ikaruga?

Silvergun is only on Saturn, 360 (where it's best, as far as I can tell), and arcade (ST-V).

Alien Soldier is their best game available on PC (via those Sega classic collections on Steam), but sadly it's the 50hz version if played through the stock emulator. Still, I'd suggest grabbing it and then finding another way to play it in 60hz. Gunstar Heroes is also in those collections, and is 60hz, but I don't think it's all that great of a game.

them heavily leaning into releasing their older games in the past few years

I think it's a lot worse than you make it sound. Ignoring Gaist Crusher (I'm not sure how much of that is actually Treasure's lead) I don't believe they've released an original game since Ikaruga in 2001. They're released some good stuff since, of course -- I feel Astro Boy GBA is especially underappreciated -- but it's been a long, long time since they've been, shall we say, creatively viable.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Wasn't the guy you directed Ikaruga working on a new shmup for PS4?

Yes, Ikaruga/Radiant Silvergun director Hiroshi Iuchi now works at M2 and is working on a PS4 game called Ubusana; it was announced years ago with the proviso that it'd be a long time before we heard anything about it, and... well, we haven't heard anything about it since.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I thought they stopped making games years ago :(

Top Bottom