• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: "Untitled Spiderman PS4 Project" incoming

I wonder if Sony negotiated game rights when they and Marvel were negotiating the movie rights?
Despite having the same parent company Sony Pictures/Columbia and Sony Interactive Entertainment have little to do with each other, so I doubt the licensing discussions would've included SIE.

Ryde3

I was looking at the current games on Steam but none of them had good reviews - I really just want something similar to Spiderman 2 (obviously updated for modern generations)

Hoping this is out soon and it's AAA!

Tankard

I think it was an Activision exclusive.

Found his post, he doesn't mention it as an exclusive, but he mentions Marvel:

New post, since I wrote more than I thought.

Here we go:

Originally Posted by Verendus

JRPG #1
JRPG #2
JRPG #3
JRPG #4
JRPG #5
New Shadow Hearts
Final Fantasy spin-off RPG
New SE console RPG IP
Final Fantasy X spin-off
FF7 spin-off
FF6 remake
Square Enix crossover game
New Parasite Eve
Monster Hunter PS4
DMC5
New Capcom TPS IP (Because we need more TPS)
New EA IP
New Ubisoft IP
New Prince of Persia
New Naval RPG
New Cyberpunk Action/Adventure/RPG IP
New Sega Action/Adventure IP
New Marvel Action/Adventure title
New Soul Calibur
New Rockstar IP

kennyamr

rumors everywhere

ok then...

here is mine

Sony is working on a new Megaman Legends game.

Boom.

no sources.

Deal with it.

From what I've read previously in the Sony leaks, Activision has to give up large sums of revenue to both Sony and Disney/Marvel whenever they make a Spider-Man video game, which is one of the main reasons why the quality has been severely dropping as there are less incentive to invest so much.

Additionally, Sony partially published some of the older movie-tie in games in other countries. I'm guessing Sony would much rather have some third party make those movie tie-in's because they don't have to use any of their internal resources to build a game and let their first party studios make games that they hold 100% IP rights to.

That being said, given the recent team-up with Marvel/Disney for the upcoming movies, its possible that Sony might take a more hands-on approach with the games through deals. We've seen Disney work with EA for multiplatform Star Wars games and have exclusive deals with Sony for marketing but given its Spider-Man and Sony's hands in the property, anything can happen..

Personally, I would LOVE the idea of Sucker Punch working on a Spider-Man game, or rather ANY talented studio do the property justice like what happened with Rocksteady's Batman games. However, the creative freedom that Sucker Punch get for working on their own IP's is some times a factor that relatively big developers don't want to let go off, which is usually something that must be sacrificed while working on a license.

Best wishes.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Activision still owns the Spider-Man IP for gaming. And it makes no sense for Sony to work on it when they consistently want to own IP's for games they fund.

Yeah, Acti's licence expires at the end of next year. I'll be surprised if there's another game in the pipeline given the short shelf life it'd have.

salromano

All of Nerd Leaks' stuff is publicly available online. At least judging from everything I've seen from them so far.

Anyway here's the source, courtesy of a quick Google search: http://resumes.breakdownexpress.com/385249-3308706

K7Wv17K.png

Keyouta

Please. I'd buy it. Just not VR though, I don't think the experience will be as good as I'd want yet. Sucker Punch would make a great Spider-Man game.

Infamous Second Son was fun but I dont really feel like they need to keep making games in that franchise.

I'd be intrigued by a Sucker Punch Spiderman game although I think its kind of a waste of a dev team, i'd like to see them make a new IP

That and Acti's licence expires at the end of next year. I'll be surprised if there's another game in the pipeline given the short shelf life it'd have.

They shit out a new Tony Hawk game just before their license expired, could be a similar thing here

Activision has the gaming rights to Spider-man and I don't believe they would be happy with Sony if they get the game rights. I wonder how this would effect their relationship with Call of Duty and Destiny if the Spider-Man/Sony deal goes through.

Defect

I read it as Ultimate Spiderman lol.

My friend told me a few months ago that he was working on a game with a popular non-Playstation character. Obviously he wouldn't tell me but I wonder if it's this.

Activision has the gaming rights to Spider-man and I don't believe they would be happy with Sony if they get the game rights. I wonder how this would effect their relationship with Call of Duty and Destiny if the Spider-Man/Sony deal goes through.

I guess it would depend on whether Activision were actually against it not

A Sucker Punch Spider-man game could be cool, but I would be worried about the melee system which has never been good in any inFamous game, which is fine since those are more range focused, but they wouldn't be able to get away with it here.

ced

So if it's Sucker Punch we will end up with a boring ass open world game, great.

At least the traversal would be good.

Console exclusive spider-man game? Ah man. Though Sucker Punch ripping the license away from Beenox to make a Spider-man game in the vein of Infamous sounds enticing. I will put an asterisk on it as a possible purchase, when picking up a Ps4K...IN THE FUTURE!

Guymelef

Oh, that makes this a bit less believable.

Why would a studio trying to keep this secret unnecessarily reveal the platform and the developer?

That makes more believable because Nerd Leaks is not the source.

Not the first time we know about these things thanks to voice actors, etc.

TimFL

I don't see how this would affect the relationship between the 2 considering they got the rights from Sony Pictures in the first place and they expire in 2017 regardless of them releasing another game or not.

That and they obviously don't want to release any more Spidey titles as evident by the mediocre TASM2 release that was plagued by budget and dev time cuts. Beenox confirmed they are no longer working on any Spidey titles so either Activision found a new studio or they called it a day 1-2 years early.

Because he's a motion capture actor, not a studio, and these slip-ups happen all the time.

That makes more believable because Nerd Leaks is not the source.

Not the first time we know about these thing because voice actors, etc.

It's a resume from an actor.

Ah, didn't see that (on mobile). I originally thought it was a CG contractor because of all the Blur Studios projects there.

Proceed, governor.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
They shit out a new Tony Hawk game just before their license expired, could be a similar thing here

Fair point, but on the other hand Acti was probably banking on the game being branded THPS5 significantly increasing its appeal (not unlike, say, Black Flag) whereas the TASM games haven't sold all that well if SteamSpy is any indication. Publishing another Spidey game would most likely prove to be a poor investment.

Would be totally happy with Sucker Punch making it, although I'd feel sorry for them since it's basically inFAMOUS :D Some more varied mission types, please!

Also, that PS1 Spider-man was great!

Kouichi

A Sucker Punch Spider-man game could be cool, but I would be worried about the melee system which has never been good in any inFamous game, which is fine since those are more range focused, but they wouldn't be able to get away with it here.

Sucker Punch's job listings a couple months back were looking for a combat designer with a focus on third person melee combat. Perhaps it was for Spider man.

I will also take a new Infamous game with better combat!

Some Nobody

Gonna be VR. I don't "know" anything, but I'd be stupidly hyped for an open-world Spider-Man game not tied to a film series, and we can't have that. So it's a VR thing. Guaranteed.

Top Bottom