• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: VG247 Spills Tons Of PSP2 Details

V_Ben

Banned
Xater said:
I have an iPhone but those games don't cost 40 bucks and also not multiple GB big.

then maybe the psp2 could expand on the variety of the games on offer. If its digital, some games could be £0.59, some could be £20.
 

McHuj

Member
Not that I believe this one bit, but a cell cpu isn't as outlandish as many think.

Sony's original goal was to have cell be used in many devices. They all wouldn't get the same one as the PS3.

The PS3's cell is power hungry now because it runs at 3.2 GHz. No handheld product would ever run that fast (in the current technologies), but a cell running sub 1 GHz with some cores stripped out could be made power efficient enough for a handheld.
 

DieH@rd

Banned
Big Ass Ramp said:
Battery life: 3 minutes!

Why? It doesent have to be 1ghz quadcore or something crazy like that, 400-500mhz [and lots of cache memory] would be fine IMO.

They should really go nuts and insert ram memory directly in to CPU :lol
 

V_Ben

Banned
McHuj said:
Not that I believe this one bit, but a cell cpu isn't as outlandish as many think.

Sony's original goal was to have cell be used in many devices. They all wouldn't get the same one as the PS3.

The PS3's cell is power hungry now because it runs at 3.2 GHz. No handheld product would ever run that fast (in the current technologies), but a cell running sub 1 GHz with some cores stripped out could be made power efficient enough for a handheld.

yeah. also, i could be crazy, but it could help with ps3/psp2 compatability, game wise. psn games could be downported. maybe.
 

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
VG247 is just trying to make headlines. Between this and the "PSN Premium", they're just throwing stuff out there and hoping it sticks.
 
coopolon said:
Would having borderline HD graphics on such a small screen be beneficial in any way? I watch movies that I rip and compress to the PSP's native resolution (480x272), and I'm pretty sure if they were 1280x720 (~7 times higher resolution) they wouldn't look any better. This makes me think bumping up the resolution would be pointless.
I think they could bump up the resolution a bit, maybe something similar to that of a widescreen sdtv.
 

Xater

Member
V_Ben said:
then maybe the psp2 could expand on the variety of the games on offer. If its digital, some games could be £0.59, some could be £20.

We are talking Sony here. Do you for one second really belive this? Just look how the Minis turned out.
 
Yeh come on they are the two vaguest rumours ever. Of course there will be a PSP2, of course it will push graphics for a handheld much like the original, and a premium PSN has been talked about for years now. I bet they will also predict a 360 Natal bundle too or something absurdly obvious so they can claim "we called it".
 

DieH@rd

Banned
480p has proven to work just fine on mobile phones, psp will most likely use the same screens as they. [some fancy AMOLED, just like Nexus One or Desire]
 

V_Ben

Banned
Xater said:
We are talking Sony here. Do you for one second really belive this? Just look how the Minis turned out.

yeah. they turned out pretty bad. Maybe they'll learn from their mistakes, and build a better service.
 

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I don't think the PSN Premium is far-fetched at all since this happened recently (2009 I think).
 

kharma45

Member
DieH@rd said:
480p has proven to work just fine on mobile phones, psp will most likely use the same screens as they. [some fancy AMOLED, just like Nexus One or Desire]

Only problem with OLED is it can be hard to see in direct sunlight, something that's been noted with things like the HTC Desire, Nexus One etc.

If they managed to get hold of Samsung's Super AMOLED it'd be more viable as it offers 80% less sunlight reflection.

I'd imagine that the new PSP (when it comes) will just stick with a TFT screen but maybe employ LED back/edge lighting to help reduce power consumption and improve black levels.
 

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
The more I think about this, the less likely this seems. 4 core cell for a portable sounds like a major pipe dream.
 

xtop

Member
i may have believed it had they not mentioned a cell processor, unless somehow they made a mobile version of it. which i don't believe either.
 
No fuckin way the Psp 2 has 4 fuckin cores. IN a handheld?

Get ready for some Yellow lights of death. That thing is gonna overheat like crazy.
 

nico

Banned
This makes so much sense bcause the problem with the psp is that it wasn't powerful enough. i'm calling it now-$599.:lol
 

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
LOZLINK said:
Well, since 8 core cell was promised 1080p at 120fps and 4d
Does this mean we'll get 540p at 60fps at 2d??!!

In reality: 420p, 30fps, and 1d.
 

VegaShinra

Junior Member
:lol :lol :lol :lol

No way. A source says it won't be an E3 reveal and then they say at the end to watch Jack's hands during E3? So they say it's E3 but their sources say it's not E3. Is this going to become a HHG rumor and because they said a more powerful PSP was coming out they are right? No kidding. I'll predict Nintendo will release a 3DS redesign in 2013 now then. :lol
 

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Don't we have power numbers re. Cell? At least a certain fabrication we have data about power draw.

If they were doing this my guess is they'd be aiming at 32nm chip.

I'm not sure about power draw, but in terms of performance-per-watt, they'd get a lot of value out of Cell.

It might also make sense in terms of leveraging and expanding knowledge directly across handheld and home, and would probably be a signal wrt PS4...

Interesting rumours, but not sure how much speculation to invest in them :p
 

LCfiner

Member
I can't imagine sony going DD-only after the massive retail thud that the PSP Go made.

I would expect carts in the PSP 2.
 

Suzzopher

Member
LCfiner said:
I can't imagine sony going DD-only after the massive retail thud that the PSP Go made.

I would expect carts in the PSP 2.

Games sold on MS cards? I'd be down for that. DD only hasn't treated me too well with my PSP GO:lol
 
Needs a second analogue.

If there is no physical media, they need to bring the price of the games down on PSN. Would be neat if PSN premium users got a discount on games.

Keep the bloody price down Sony.
 

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
chandoog said:
Announcement at TGS then release within 3 months sounds a bit far fetched no ?
They're hoping that the after June's E3 madness people will have forgotten that they ever posted this. In the meantime they get to harvest pageviews.
 

xtop

Member
Suzzopher said:
Games sold on MS cards? I'd be down for that. DD only hasn't treated me too well with my PSP GO:lol

i'm down for memory stick games. be especially sweet if i could then install the game to the internal storage.

nothing about this "leak" seems credible to me though.
 
VegaShinra said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol

No way. A source says it won't be an E3 reveal and then they say at the end to watch Jack's hands during E3? So they say it's E3 but their sources say it's not E3. Is this going to become a HHG rumor and because they said a more powerful PSP was coming out they are right? No kidding. I'll predict Nintendo will release a 3DS redesign in 2013 now then. :lol

Yeah, that is what I was wondering.

I think we will see an announcement and maybe the device being shown with a game video at E3. Then we wait till TGS for hands-on with the device and game demos. Then release sometime early next year.
 

LCfiner

Member
Suzzopher said:
Games sold on MS cards? I'd be down for that. DD only hasn't treated me too well with my PSP GO:lol


at first I thought you meant Master System cards.

I'd buy that system for sure.
 
I always think psp Go failure is not because it's a dd only device. but more because of the high price and the lack of commitment from Sony to force every publisher supporting it and making sure past psp titles are available for download.

if they make psp2 a dd only device, they're starting fresh, now they can make sure every games are available on dd, since that's the only way to get games. I always like the idea of having more than 1 games in my psp at all times. much better than having to carry umd cases in my bag everywhere.
 

androvsky

Member
gofreak said:
Don't we have power numbers re. Cell? At least a certain fabrication we have data about power draw.

If they were doing this my guess is they'd be aiming at 32nm chip.

I'm not sure about power draw, but in terms of performance-per-watt, they'd get a lot of value out of Cell.

It might also make sense in terms of leveraging and expanding knowledge directly across handheld and home, and would probably be a signal wrt PS4...

Interesting rumours, but not sure how much speculation to invest in them :p

As I recall, Apple dumped IBM because IBM was having issues with low power designs. On the other hand, that was a long time ago, and the Cell is nothing if not efficient with it's use of transistors.

BC would be a breeze, since the PS3 already has a PSP emulator running on its Cell.

And the part most people missed, the Cell allows for an amazingly secure platform. If Sony's really using a Cell in the PSP2, this would be why. The PS3 still isn't meaningfully cracked.

I dunno, this sounds like the kind of PSP2 specifications I dreamed up years ago. Including the Cell, it's all a little too obvious; but now that Kutaragi's gone, maybe the obvious is possible from Sony now.
 

xtop

Member
androvsky said:
And the part most people missed, the Cell allows for an amazingly secure platform. If Sony's really using a Cell in the PSP2, this would be why. The PS3 still isn't meaningfully cracked.

.

you bring up a very good point i hadn't even considered. still not sure i believe it though :lol
 
I can guarantee that Sony will MENTION PSP 2 at E3 but that's all they will do, mention it.

Sony will want to try to take some of Nintendo's 3DS fanfare away from them but they won't have anything concrete to mention.

We will get a lot of vague promises and amazing (read: exaggerated) claims on what the PSP 2 will be capable of. It brings the early PS3 statements to mind (Hi Mr Kutaragi! We haven't forgotten you!).

In the end we will be left with promises of a future handheld that will cure the world but no specs (except exaggerations), no games, no screens.

And Nintendo will be happily displaying what I believe to be amazing new tech and some fun games.

Before you Gaffers proclaim me to be a Ninty fanboy (which you inevitably will), let it be known that I own all the current consoles (no bullshit) and I love my PSP.

THE END...
 
Top Bottom