• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: VG247 Spills Tons Of PSP2 Details

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
VG247 has put up quite a huge set of rumors about the PSP2.

VG247 said:
If you thought a hint that PSP2 may make an appearance at E3 was exciting, get a load of this shit.

Baby steps.

* MCV rumoured last week that Sony “could” announce PSP2 at E3.
* VG247 goes digging. According to a source familiar with the matter, it’s “99 percent” it isn’t an E3 reveal.
* But there’s much, much more.
* Multiple British sources have confirmed that PSP2 NDAs have been in place at publishers and developers for many months.
* PSP2 has two cameras, one forward and one backward facing.
* It has a touch-screen, but apparently it has retained the trademark physical PlayStation buttons.
* UK sources were previously working towards a “2010″ release. This is now “2011″.
* One source would be “amazed” if there was any kind of physical media involved. We’ve been told it “could” be 3G-enabled, as opposed to the WiFi-only PSP go. This bit was sketchy.
* Multiple PSP2 games are being made in Britain right now. Some have even already been canned.
* There have been “finished units” in the UK, but we haven’t spoken to anyone that’s seen a final case.
* When asked directly about reveal timing, one source said, “If the games were aiming for end 2010, beginning 2011, and now it’s a 2011 release, I’d say a gamescom or TGS announce for launch early next year”.
* One source told us the machine is “fucking powerful,” being based on a four-core Cell CPU. PS3 runs on an eight-core version.

Crapped yourself yet? Good. Remember, “99 percent” certainty leaves “1 percent” of uncertainty. Don’t take your eyes of Jack’s hands in Sony’s E3 press conference on June 15.

We will, of course, be there.
Source: http://www.vg247.com/2010/05/17/psp2-touch-screen-two-cameras-games-for-end-2010-beginning-2011/

Any thoughts?

Obviously they may be completely insane, but so may Sony.

Edit:

Baki posted their other major Sony rumor for today about PSN Premium's feature set: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=395620

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
* One source would be “amazed” if there was any kind of physical media involved.
I was sure they wanted to follow the PSP Go's smashing success.

Serious reply: "rumor" is usually too generous of a word when the source is VG247.

Xater

Guess the other thread will die no so here are my thought again:

- I would be suprised to see no announcement at E3. Sony can't afford that.
- If any of the specs are true this thing could be very expensive
- Touchscreen? Maybe again no second stick? Ugh...
- No physical media = made of fail like the Go

farnham

Banned
So basically DSi + PSPgo

and even more powerful :lol :lol somehow i think that the power of the PSP was never a problem and it could go on with the current spec for another 5 years without a problem

anyway good luck with that sony

V_Ben

Banned
powered by cell? crikey! that sounds like one impressive piece of kit. the cameras will make it ideal for skyping, and ARG's, methinks. Also could add some rudimentary camera based motion control. I'll be amazed if it costs more than the pspgo though. Sony should know not to price things at a level known as "F*cking ridiculous"

also, Your avatar is a fitting tribute Jocchan. :D

Dynoro

Jocchan said:
I was sure they wanted to follow the PSP Go's smashing success.
Depends; if it goes a more PSP mini or iphone direction then it could still sell okay (with 3G access) - but I feel its still too early for a DD only handheld; the system needs to do something else too (like a phone)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Averon said:
What is VG247's track record regarding rumors?
Pretty good, but they definitely have several notable misses.

It is worth noting though that the ones they get right aren't exactly... always the hardest to guess.

* It has a touch-screen, but apparently it has retained the trademark physical PlayStation buttons.

Yes! Because controls and buttons are The Only Way to properly play video games. If you disagree you're gaming with Hitler.

Xater said:

Touch screen is required for any internet / online enabled device. FUCK old cell phone style text input the PSP currently has. So inefficient.

Adding a second analogue stick will only open the shovelware flood gates. Part of the reason the PSP library is so amazing is because it isn't full of shitty FPS games with terrible controls.

DaBuddaDa

The more I think about it, the more I am getting psyched for a new PSP. The graphics whore in me just realized that we are now getting closer and closer to the possibility of having borderline-HD graphics in a portable console, something that Nintendo probably isn't trying to embrace with the 3DS but Sony will be all over.

Pooya

Cell cpu in a handheld? PSP2 has active cooling confirmed?!:lol
take vg247 sources with a huge grain of salt!

Dynoro

DaBuddaDa said:
The more I think about it, the more I am getting psyched for a new PSP. The graphics whore in me just realized that we are now getting closer and closer to the possibility of having borderline-HD graphics in a portable console, something that Nintendo probably isn't trying to embrace with the 3DS but Sony will be all over.
How would a handheld manage this when even the PS3/360 struggle?

Stink

Second stick wouldn't be very good for shooters anyway. The PSP analogue just isn't accurate enough for speed. It's only really ok for direction.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
You think they'd keep the same XMB? Doesn't seem practical for a touchscreen interface :/

four-core Cell? I'd love to see the battery life on this thing.

I would buy this day 1 if I can connect it to my PS3 and play with my DS3 on my 52in LCD. That would be such a cool thing if Sony did that.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Xater said:

Sure they can. E3 doesn't make or break anything as far as I've seen.
Xater said:
...if the specs are false this thing could be very expensive. You might as well just say it could be very expensive, regardless of the specs.
Xater said:
One of the big complaints with the PSP was that they were trying too hard to make it a PS2 handheld and people didn't really want to play a bunch of ps2 ports. Giving it 2 sticks makes it even more likely that it will end up that way. The nub was so bad, I don't know why anybody would want two of them. I'd prefer no nubs at all. I've played a heck of a lot of great games on DS, none of which required a joystick.
Xater said:
Lack of physical media isn't what made the Go appeal to so few customers.

coopolon

DaBuddaDa said:

Would having borderline HD graphics on such a small screen be beneficial in any way? I watch movies that I rip and compress to the PSP's native resolution (480x272), and I'm pretty sure if they were 1280x720 (~7 times higher resolution) they wouldn't look any better. This makes me think bumping up the resolution would be pointless.

Xater said:

1.) Of course they can. it depends on when they're looking to launch it. spilling details TOO early and letting the hype die down because the launch window is too far off can also be a really bad thing.

2.) It'll probably be as expensive as a mid to high end ipod touch, since that's pretty much the benchmark right now. Don't expect this thing to launch at $199.

3.) Touchscreen is absolutely, positively a necessity. Second stick? eh...maybe not so much. one stick or pad with a touchscreen input is more than sufficient. HOPEFULLY they improve on the "nub", because I never liked that thing.

4.) the go was a failure because it split the existing userbase. Current PSP owners couldnt use their existing library with it, and new owners could get stuck wondering if a game may or may not be released for download to the Go, while sitting on the shelf at EB games on clearance and unplayable to them. The whole thing was a clusterfuck. Starting off with a new platform, this won't be the case. everyone's on the same footing.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Stumpokapow said:
why the hell do people post stuff from vg247
Well, I figure they either have stumbled on to something big or (more likely) will probably get banned for making tons of insane shit up. Either way we win in the end.

Haunted

Averon said:
What is VG247's track record regarding rumors?
They hit 3 or 4 out of 15 million attempts.

Nirolak said:
Well, I figure they either have stumbled on to something big or will probably get banned for making tons of insane shit up. Either way we win in the end.
fair enough!

The two 247 threads are just driving home that bullshitters everyone is gearing up for E3. :D

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I love this high stakes double-whammy rumour thing

* One source would be “amazed” if there was any kind of physical media involved. We’ve been told it “could” be 3G-enabled, as opposed to the WiFi-only PSP go.

:lol :lol

This and the PSN Premium rumours may not be far from the truth.

Yeah, because boh of those things are just a question of "when". That doesn't mean that the specs and caracteristics presented by VG2247 are anywhere close to the reality.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I wonder why people here hate the PSP and/or PSP2 so much? :p

Xater

ULTROS! said:
I wonder why people here hate the PSP and/or PSP2 so much? :p

I don't hate the PSP. In fact I love it but this sounds really dumb.

And I totally believe that we are not yet in a world where you can release a portable system that has no physical media.

DieH@rd

Banned
spindoc said:
You think they'd keep the same XMB? Doesn't seem practical for a touchscreen interface :/

four-core Cell? I'd love to see the battery life on this thing.

CheapyD mentioned on the last CheapAssGamer podcast that he knows for a fact that Sony will present new redesign of the XMB @ E3.

Its possible, i guess.

V_Ben

Banned
Xater said:

And I totally believe that we are not yet in a world where you can release a portable system that has no physical media.

"looks at ipod touch. Smiles"

DieH@rd said:
CheapyD mentioned on the last CheapAssGamer podcast that he knows for a fact that Sony will present new redesign of the XMB @ E3.

Its possible, i guess.

huh. 3.0 introduced more of a reshuffle, design-wise, so maybe a total redesign could be cool.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Xater said:

I think the iTouch comes into mind.

Fake Edit: Beaten

Top Bottom