• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wolves Evolve said:
The Sam Kennedy statement about it being likely that you'll still want to play COD on the other consoles is very telling. I think it indicates that the controller choices will not be remotely like a standard dual shock, or that the online services won't be ramped up as much as we think.

I think it just means that most people will still play on xbox/ps3 no matter what. Go look at how most of the cod crowd views nintendo on youtube. Better yet, take a shot every time you hear the word "gay" in the video.

Gahiggidy said:
It'd also be nifty if the system could determine which player is holding the controller by measuring some unique identifying info from the players vital stats. (Or, by finger prints?) Would also be a great way of preventing younger brothers from messing up your game saves.
laugh2.gif

Palm Vein Reader. Fujita (sp?) released a laptop with a built in no-touch palm vein reader as a security feature back in 2008 I think it was. Uses an IR camera to work. Very small, could easily be worked into the grip design of a traditional controller or a Wiimote.

This may sound blasphamous to some, but I think it would be simple and genious. Facebook based accounts. How simple would that be, and it would allow the user their own level of privacy control.

-dont want random messages no problem.
-only want friends of freidns no problem
-hidden or private account unless your a friend no problem
-change your account name, no problem

Seems like such a simple easy and obvious idea.

HenryGale said:
This may sound blasphamous to some, but I think it would be simple and genious. Facebook based accounts. How simple would that be, and it would allow the user their own level of privacy control.

-dont want random messages no problem.
-only want friends of freidns no problem
-hidden or private account unless your a friend no problem
-change your account name, no problem

Seems like such a simple easy and obvious idea.
What if you don't want/have a Facebook account? I don't have one and I don't plan on making one anytime soon

Durante

HenryGale said:
Facebook based accounts. How simple would that be, and it would allow the user their own level of privacy control.
What about the "I don't want a facebook account" level of privacy control?

Durante said:
What about the "I don't want a facebook account" level of privacy control?
Then make your own account in ninntendo with the same options. It would work like ,y scrabble app on the iphone, if I dont have your facebook acvount then I just need your nintendo name. It would make registration super simple for most people whondo have FB accounts.

HenryGale said:
Then make your own account in ninntendo with the same options. It would work like ,y scrabble app on the iphone, if I dont have your facebook acvount then I just need your nintendo name. It would make registration super simple for most people whondo have FB accounts.

Peach2467 wants to add you - do you accept?

Ganondorf239 has added you.

Link456667 is playing Mario Kart

...is all I can think of with "Nintendo Names" ;-)

Didn't people say that it was the end of graphical powerhouses and expensive consoles? I can only laugh at that now

Yes, I was the one who bet my left nut on it. Looks like I won.....

Mithos

Cosmonaut X said:
Peach2467 wants to add you - do you accept?

Ganondorf239 has added you.

Link456667 is playing Mario Kart

...is all I can think of with "Nintendo Names" ;-)

Hope that will not happen, friendcode PLEASE so everyone can pick and use whatever name they want, and kill the Name12728 bullshit that exist everywhere else.

Lovely Salsa said:
Didn't people say that it was the end of graphical powerhouses and expensive consoles? I can only laugh at that now

Yes, I was the one who bet my left nut on it. Looks like I won.....

But nothing's been shown yet...

Pyrokai

You know, as long as it works the same way as, say, PSN or XBLA, I have no problems with a code instead of a username. As a matter of fact, it gives you more freedom for your name. On PSN, I'm Pyrokai no matter what game I'm playing. If it were a friend code instead, I could be whatever name I want to be, change it whenever I want, or have it vary by game. This isn't actually any different than Steam if you think about it. I have an account name which nobody sees other than to add me to their friends list (so this is like a friend code), and I can change my name at any time for whatever game.

Friend requests and everything that comes with good online just needs to be implemented. I view the code as nothing more than an online "phone number" in that respect, then.

Somnid

Account systems are hardly simple. Especially when it comes to privacy, security and user content filtering. Facebook has been doing this for nearly a decade and they still get hammered over privacy concerns almost monthly. It's because it's people's personal data. Most don't understand what it entails, what can be done with it but want to post it. 99% will never change the default despite the robustness of options.

I'm rather unconvinced XBL or PSN are go-to models. They work well enough but there approach is to not give a shit. I'm sure the age groups prevent that from being a huge problem but if you want to be the everybody console that's not going to fly.

I hope they keep the speaker on the
controller... of course, a better quality
speaker than the Wii one.

If the console is going to get more third
party western support (aka shooting
games) I want to hear the weapon sounds
in my hands.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Mithos said:
Hope that will not happen, friendcode PLEASE so everyone can pick and use whatever name they want, and kill the Name12728 bullshit that exist everywhere else.

Having a Nintendo ID or whatever and a different in-game name are not mutually exclusive.

Gonna list some of the rumors we've seen so far here, if any of you know of some I missed, let me know so I can update this list and maybe one of the mods can use it to catch up the OP. :)

First though, for those wondering, here when Nintendo's Investor's Meeting will be held

Now to the rumors!

Edge:
- Motion-sensing “better than Move”.
- Ubisoft, Activision and Electronic Arts have development units

IGN/Jim Reilly:
- pre-announcement this month with a full reveal expected at E3
- BC with Wii
- significantly more powerful than X360/PS3
- The system will support 1080p output with the potential for stereoscopic 3D as well, though it has not been determined whether that will be a staple feature.
- screen on controller, will have touch capability
- Dual analog sticks on the controller.
- Can stream game content from the console.
- "New Nintendo controller allows players to stream entire games to the device from the console - like a miniature television."
- "working simultaneously with the console to bring interactive elements and even stream full games to the controller."
- "every story published citing an anonymous source is based on information we believe to be credible and true from reliable, trusted sources. If a story or tip seems flimsy, we don’t run it, or do our best to indicate when a story seems questionable."
- retail price of anywhere between $350 and $400 based on manufacturing costs. Nintendo could attempt to lower the retail price of the system with lower profit margins to make the price more alluring.
- will ship from Taiwanese manufacturer, Foxconn, this October, putting the earliest possible retail release anywhere between mid-October and early November. However, Nintendo could also opt to build up a sizable supply of the system and allocate more time for software and games development by launching in early 2012.
- AMD's R700 GPU architecture
- custom-built triple-core IBM PowerPC chipset
- Overall console size comparable to original XBox 360
- resemble a modernized version of the SNES
- Nintendo considering the name "Stream" for console, among others.
- Controller has Gyroscope
- Nintendo would love to launch Q1 or Q2 2012, software development pending
- "The controller isn't a portable system. It's a controller with a screen in it. You're not going to go far from your console – which has to be on – before you lose signal. The controller also doesn't have much outside of chips to process the data that's streaming to it. That means the control isn't going to have its own library of software, and I don't believe that it's going to retain any data on its own." (Rich, IGN Executive Editor, in the IGN mailbag)
- Cafe games are scheduled to be at E3 2011

VG247:
- "controller is a touch tablet, with moderate, sub-HD graphic output with a single-touch 6-inch screen, a front camera which acts as a Wii sensor bar, two d-pads, two bumpers, and possibly more than two triggers."

CVG:
- feature a built-in HD screen.
- "Nintendo's plans sound unreal," one source said. "Publishers are already planning launch titles and it's all very exciting"

Kotaku:
- more powerful than X360/PS3
- new controller’s screen will measure 6.2 inches
- include eight buttons.
- "It won’t necessarily be, however, the controller that every Wii 2 gamer uses. It isn’t even being positioned as a replacement for the famous Wii Remote."
- "a new Wii Sports could use the Remote; a new Zelda could use the screen-based twin-stick controller."
- “not clear on whether the new console will simply use the current Wii remote tech or if Nintendo will offer a remote that improves upon the already-improved and more motion-sensitive Wii Remote Plus that launched last year.”

GameInformer:
- HD System
- Competitive Specs to PS3/360
- Late 2012 launch
- "Nintendo is doing this one right"
- "[It's] not a gimmick like the Wii."

01net::
- "Project Café"
- Developer quotes: graphics capabilities "roughly equal to those of the Xbox 360", performance "over the Xbox 360, but just a notch".
- custom IBM PowerPC CPU with three cores
- RAM: unknown. It would be logical that it is a unified RAM, like the 360, with a minimum of 512 MB
- Graphics processor: AMD (ATI) - probably a series R700, with a shader (for managing the effects) more recent than the Xbox 360 (probably version 4.1).
- controller has a six-inch touch screen,
- a front-facing camera,
- D-Pad,
- two bumpers,
- two triggers
- screen resolution will fall into the 800 x 500 range
- and "possibly more,"
- Surprise feature
- Be revealed at E3
- Controller Mockup: http://i51.tinypic.com/2uyga69.png

Sam Kennedy on the 1up Oddcast:
- “there won’t be friend codes on the new console. ...I think Nintendo has learnt their lesson there.”
- Mr. Kennedy says that he is sure of this
- Project Cafe is "Not just like a new controller"
- more to the system than simply a new input device
- Project Cafe will have a “Wii vibe” and high definition graphics, ”plus something”
- Nintendo fans will be like “wow”
- "Will it play CoD better? No, you'll still want a PS3/360."

Miyamoto (the fucking Willy Wonka of Video games):
Shigeru-Miyamoto1.jpg

- Nintendo is currently thinking about a possible connectivity between the Nintendo 3DS and a future home console.
- “Nintendo is still testing many ideas”
- "I may not tell you, but to us it is of course a logical step to doing something with HD. The number of households with a HD television is now big enough to make an HD game console. And of course we are always busy anyway with the development of new consoles."
- "We focus not only on HD and the next system will feature something totally different than usual."
- "Yes, I have read rumours about Café. I want to say it’s normal. You know, for Nintendo, as with the other platform holders, our job is to create new hardware."
- "We think it takes five years to do interesting R&D. So, I confess there isn’t smoke without fire. We always build consoles. You’ll never see some of them."
- "you don’t have to trust all the stuff you read”

Lonewolf_92 said:
Gonna list some of the rumors we've seen so far here, if any of you know of some I missed, let me know so I can update this list and maybe one of the mods can use it to catch up the OP. :)

First though, for those wondering, here when Nintendo's Investor's Meeting will be held

Now to the rumors!

Edge:
- Motion-sensing “better than Move”.
- Ubisoft, Activision and Electronic Arts have development units

IGN/Jim Reilly:
- pre-announcement this month with a full reveal expected at E3
- BC with Wii
- significantly more powerful than X360/PS3
- The system will support 1080p output with the potential for stereoscopic 3D as well, though it has not been determined whether that will be a staple feature.
- screen on controller, will have touch capability
- Dual analog sticks on the controller.
- Can stream game content from the console.
- "New Nintendo controller allows players to stream entire games to the device from the console - like a miniature television."
- "working simultaneously with the console to bring interactive elements and even stream full games to the controller."
- "every story published citing an anonymous source is based on information we believe to be credible and true from reliable, trusted sources. If a story or tip seems flimsy, we don’t run it, or do our best to indicate when a story seems questionable."
- retail price of anywhere between $350 and $400 based on manufacturing costs. Nintendo could attempt to lower the retail price of the system with lower profit margins to make the price more alluring.
- will ship from Taiwanese manufacturer, Foxconn, this October, putting the earliest possible retail release anywhere between mid-October and early November. However, Nintendo could also opt to build up a sizable supply of the system and allocate more time for software and games development by launching in early 2012.
- AMD's R700 GPU architecture
- custom-built triple-core IBM PowerPC chipset
- Overall console size comparable to original XBox 360
- resemble a modernized version of the SNES
- Nintendo considering the name "Stream" for console, among others.
- Controller has Gyroscope
- Nintendo would love to launch Q1 or Q2 2012, software development pending
- "The controller isn't a portable system. It's a controller with a screen in it. You're not going to go far from your console – which has to be on – before you lose signal. The controller also doesn't have much outside of chips to process the data that's streaming to it. That means the control isn't going to have its own library of software, and I don't believe that it's going to retain any data on its own." (Rich, IGN Executive Editor, in the IGN mailbag)
- Cafe games are scheduled to be at E3 2011

VG247:
- "controller is a touch tablet, with moderate, sub-HD graphic output with a single-touch 6-inch screen, a front camera which acts as a Wii sensor bar, two d-pads, two bumpers, and possibly more than two triggers."

CVG:
- feature a built-in HD screen.
- "Nintendo's plans sound unreal," one source said. "Publishers are already planning launch titles and it's all very exciting"

Kotaku:
- more powerful than X360/PS3
- new controller’s screen will measure 6.2 inches
- include eight buttons.
- "It won’t necessarily be, however, the controller that every Wii 2 gamer uses. It isn’t even being positioned as a replacement for the famous Wii Remote."
- "a new Wii Sports could use the Remote; a new Zelda could use the screen-based twin-stick controller."
- “not clear on whether the new console will simply use the current Wii remote tech or if Nintendo will offer a remote that improves upon the already-improved and more motion-sensitive Wii Remote Plus that launched last year.”

GameInformer:
- HD System
- Competitive Specs to PS3/360
- Late 2012 launch
- "Nintendo is doing this one right"
- "[It's] not a gimmick like the Wii."

01net::
- "Project Café"
- Developer quotes: graphics capabilities "roughly equal to those of the Xbox 360", performance "over the Xbox 360, but just a notch".
- custom IBM PowerPC CPU with three cores
- RAM: unknown. It would be logical that it is a unified RAM, like the 360, with a minimum of 512 MB
- Graphics processor: AMD (ATI) - probably a series R700, with a shader (for managing the effects) more recent than the Xbox 360 (probably version 4.1).
- controller has a six-inch touch screen,
- a front-facing camera,
- D-Pad,
- two bumpers,
- two triggers
- screen resolution will fall into the 800 x 500 range
- and "possibly more,"
- Surprise feature
- Be revealed at E3
- Controller Mockup: http://i51.tinypic.com/2uyga69.png

Sam Kennedy on the 1up Oddcast:
- “there won’t be friend codes on the new console. ...I think Nintendo has learnt their lesson there.”
- Mr. Kennedy says that he is sure of this
- Project Cafe is "Not just like a new controller"
- more to the system than simply a new input device
- Project Cafe will have a “Wii vibe” and high definition graphics, ”plus something”
- Nintendo fans will be like “wow”
- "Will it play CoD better? No, you'll still want a PS3/360."

Miyamoto (the fucking Willy Wonka of Video games):
Shigeru-Miyamoto1.jpg

- Nintendo is currently thinking about a possible connectivity between the Nintendo 3DS and a future home console.
- “Nintendo is still testing many ideas”
- "I may not tell you, but to us it is of course a logical step to doing something with HD. The number of households with a HD television is now big enough to make an HD game console. And of course we are always busy anyway with the development of new consoles."
- "We focus not only on HD and the next system will feature something totally different than usual."
- "Yes, I have read rumours about Café. I want to say it’s normal. You know, for Nintendo, as with the other platform holders, our job is to create new hardware."
- "We think it takes five years to do interesting R&D. So, I confess there isn’t smoke without fire. We always build consoles. You’ll never see some of them."
- "you don’t have to trust all the stuff you read”

800px-Blind_monks_examining_an_elephant.jpg

M3d10n

Somnid said:
Account systems are hardly simple. Especially when it comes to privacy, security and user content filtering. Facebook has been doing this for nearly a decade and they still get hammered over privacy concerns almost monthly. It's because it's people's personal data. Most don't understand what it entails, what can be done with it but want to post it. 99% will never change the default despite the robustness of options.

I'm rather unconvinced XBL or PSN are go-to models. They work well enough but there approach is to not give a shit. I'm sure the age groups prevent that from being a huge problem but if you want to be the everybody console that's not going to fly.
It is entirely possible to have a system that works both ways:

- When you first turn on a newly purchased unit, it logs in using an automated account using a per-machine ID (the friend code).
- In the screen where the user can view his friend code (or somewhere else), have a button to create an "account name". This takes the user to a traditional account creation process, which links/replaces the per-machine ID by/to the chosen account name.
- From that point on, the user can tell friends the account name instead of the friend code.

This is how the Steam Community pages work: when you create a Steam account, you get an unique URL made of numbers that goes to your community page. You can create an easier-to-remember URL if you want (as long as it's not taken).

hyp3rlink

Amid all those rumors is there any which says anything about the "pointer"? That's the only feature I care about and the lack of information is a little disconcerting.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
hyp3rlink said:
Amid all those rumors is there any which says anything about the "pointer"? That's the only feature I care about and the lack of information is a little disconcerting.

I think one of the rumors stated the Wii pointer/nunchuck would still be useable.

JGS

Banned
hyp3rlink said:
Doesn't Move have a pointer? I thought this one was better.

hyp3rlink

JGS said:
Doesn't Move have a pointer? I thought this one was better.

Not really. Move's pointer works on motion sensing and has a habit of going out of alignment, whereas Wii has a IR based pointing and is consistently accurate.

M74

hyp3rlink said:
Supposedly the Wiimote will still be available, the console is BC with Wii games, and the new tablet controller doesn't have to outright replace the Wiimote.

The question is, will developers still program with the Wiimote in mind, or at least allow for Wiimote controls as an option?

Somnid

M3d10n said:

- When you first turn on a newly purchased unit, it logs in using an automated account using a per-machine ID (the friend code).
- In the screen where the user can view his friend code (or somewhere else), have a button to create an "account name". This takes the user to a traditional account creation process, which links/replaces the per-machine ID by/to the chosen account name.
- From that point on, the user can tell friends the account name instead of the friend code.

This is how the Steam Community pages work: when you create a Steam account, you get an unique URL made of numbers that goes to your community page. You can create an easier-to-remember URL if you want (as long as it's not taken).

What token the system uses to pair itself with another or what type of account is irrelevant. This is why it's rather annoying that "no friend codes" is code-speak for "usability upgrades" or more annoyingly "more-like XBL." Delivering a 12 digit number or an obfuscated character name really isn't the real issue here. The real issue is how to setup a game-based communication platform that can filter unwanted data but still maintains effective and efficient communication.

hyp3rlink

M74 said:
Supposedly the Wiimote will still be available, the console is BC with Wii games, and the new tablet controller doesn't have to outright replace the Wiimote.

The question is, will developers still program with the Wiimote in mind, or at least allow for Wiimote controls as an option?

I doubt it really. Especially if the wiimote/nunchuck is optional controller. I mean nobody made a third person shooter when wiimote was primary controller!

I hope Nintendo somehow manages to keep the pointer ability in the new controller, but thats what I haven't seen in any "rumor" at all.

Mithos

JaseC said:
Having a Nintendo ID or whatever and a different in-game name are not mutually exclusive.

True, it all depends on how they build their system.

On any Wii/DS game I can always be Mithos, but not on PSN/Xbox Live way, since the name I wanted was taken, and I had to spend hours on what name I had to chose instead that was "good enough", and then still I could only get it on PSN because that name was already taken on Xbox Live.

So whatever Nintendo opts for on the Wii2, I hope the "account" is not your displayed name.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
dvolovets said:
Don't you mean 39 hours? I thought it was going to happen late Monday night (U.S. Central time).

Edit: nm, I believe you are right. If the meeting takes place on this 26th in japan at 3AM EST then the only way for that to work out would be for it to be the 26th here as well.
So therefore it is 39 hours away. :(.

Dascu

Skiesofwonder said:
Well people having been reporting that the meeting take places on the 26th in japan (25th in America) at 3AM EST so......

That's 15 hours away unless my information is incorrect.
Fiscal report is tomorrow, investor meeting (that which may or may not be streamed; people have been saying this but no sources whatsoever) is the day after.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

That aside, I hope none of you are getting your hopes up too much.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
M3d10n said:

Yes, this could work quite well.

Stumpokapow said:
those sam kennedy quotes are very clearly speculation

Yeah, I feel so too. I just included them because otherwise we're gonna get flogged by juniors asking about them every page today like those fake pics yesterday and the day before and because of who said them. My main goal with that list is to make it so it's easy for posters to be able to point out which place said what.

Wolves Evolve said:
The Sam Kennedy statement about it being likely that you'll still want to play COD on the other consoles is very telling. I think it indicates that the controller choices will not be remotely like a standard dual shock, or that the online services won't be ramped up as much as we think.
The appeal of Stream or whatever isn't remotely centered on its online infrastructure. That pot of gold is locked down by Microsofts smaug the dragon and Sony. The only thing that I am excited for is seeing Nintendo 1st party given the artistic freedom I've been dreaming of

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Dascu said:
Fiscal report is tomorrow, investor meeting (that which may or may not be streamed; people have been saying this but no sources whatsoever) is the day after.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

That aside, I hope none of you are getting your hopes up too much.

Thank you, you are right. I just figured that out right after my post lol

I'm not really getting my hopes up, but I am fully expecting a PR release announcing the Wii 2 along with a confirmation that it will be at E3.

Anything more is gravy, but anything less and I will be a bit disappointed.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Somnid said:
What token the system uses to pair itself with another or what type of account is irrelevant. This is why it's rather annoying that "no friend codes" is code-speak for "usability upgrades" or more annoyingly "more-like XBL." Delivering a 12 digit number or an obfuscated character name really isn't the real issue here. The real issue is how to setup a game-based communication platform that can filter unwanted data but still maintains effective and efficient communication.
Just ask "Do you want to allow other players to send you friendship requests? Y/N" upon account creation. Problem solved.

Somnid said:
Account systems are hardly simple.

They're not just simple, they're trivial. Take someone's Mii, ask them to associate a passcode with it, link it to the unique identifier of their system -- bam, you have an account system. You can still use a unique twelve-digit number as the "underlying" identifier so that people can set their own screennames; you can still create very conservative default settings, or just simplify it even more by having "open mode" (single-auth friend requests and visible profile) and "closed mode" (double-auth and hidden profile) with the latter being the default. There are huge advantages and zero drawbacks to moving to such a system.

The question of whether PSN/XBL are the go-to model isn't relevant. It is not necessary to imitate either service to create an account-based system, and therefore the objection that Nintendo's system shouldn't look like either is not a reason not to use accounts.

Somnid

Jocchan said:
Just ask "Do you want to allow other players to send you friendship requests? Y/N" upon account creation. Problem solved.

But that prevents legitimate connections as well. Especially when you have both in-game and out-of-game pairing (is it also okay for anyone with my friend code to contact me?). It's not just who you are friends with it's who you can communicate with and how you communicate. Who can see your info and what types of info you can see. Accounts would at least need to be COPPA compliant for children under 13 something neither XBL or PSN provide. But yes better parental controls would be a start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom