• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saying that Ubisoft is going to port games does not require sources.

March 2012 sounds too early. Spring and summer are slow for new console launches. The only possible reason I could imagine Nintendo even thinking about that is to finish the financial year strong, but they can do that by making the 3DS pick up during Christmas, as well.

timetokill said:
This is one of the funniest things I've read on this forum. Wow!

How anybody could supposedly play the games and come to that conclusion is mind-boggling.

Yes, I get it, you explore dungeons and solve puzzles. You do a crap load of killing along the way. There is nothing mind boggling here. Please don't take the description so literally.

ksamedi

I really think this pad will have some kind of unique hook like the Wiimote had. It doesn't make sense to make a console that is comparable to current consoles in terms of power and release it with a traditional pad + a screen. It would get owned by newer Sony and Microsoft consoles. This system will be defined by its controller probably. I fully expect some kind of revolutionary new design which also caters to the hardcore crowd.

Sadist said:
Oh for arguments sake: I'll try to find the original source first thing in the morning (the guy who posted this doesn't normally use shady sites/mags to post this kind of stuff) but here's hoping detective GAF can help me to track down the original source from the following quote:

http://www.insidegamer.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=74843&start=475

If this shit is bogus, I'm stupid.

Well, they site no source.
And Nintendo has already said that 3D wouldn't be a selling point of the N6.
Even then, it just sounds completely bogus. Not being able to update anything in a game? Who would implement such a dumb rule?

Huff

Banned
So is the software plan is going to be similar to the 3DS and leave it open for 3rd parties to establish themselves on the system, or come out with guys blazing with a big name or new nintendo IP?

antonz

Sadist said:
Oh for arguments sake: I'll try to find the original source first thing in the morning (the guy who posted this doesn't normally use shady sites/mags to post this kind of stuff) but here's hoping detective GAF can help me to track down the original source from the following quote:

Not stupid it is a rumor. 01net in their first post speculated a March 2012 launch then changed it up to june 2012. I have said from the beginning I expect the loose lips to the French are Ubisoft.

I predict that Wii 2 will cure global warming in addition to creating holographic images as stated in the link above.

Now go Internets! Bring it back to GAF in news story form!

Come on guys....realistically the console is going to be cool. But I think some news sites are going off the deep end.

BroHuffman said:
So is the software plan is going to be similar to the 3DS and leave it open for 3rd parties to establish themselves on the system, or come out with guys blazing with a big name or new nintendo IP?

Rumor is that both 1st and 3rd parties games will be shown.
No clue what the launch would be like, though.

Sadist

ShockingAlberto said:
Saying that Ubisoft is going to port games does not require sources.

March 2012 sounds too early. Spring and summer are slow for new console launches. The only possible reason I could imagine Nintendo even thinking about that is to finish the financial year strong, but they can do that by making the 3DS pick up during Christmas, as well.
Yeah, that's the reason I was hesitant to post this little nugget. March is only 10 months away and the crazy hologram-camera/3D thing is pretty wild.

Woffls

So, it will use the front facing camera to determine where your eyes are, and change the display based on that to show 3D? I'm not sure about this one, because Nintendo have said quite explicitly that 3D is not their focus for N6. I'll try and find something on it, but I'm sure someone else will find it first!

[edit] Probably this. Recent as well.

BroHuffman said:
They're kinda fucked either way, so I say start strong.

Sadist said:

If true...God damnit Ubisoft......

We need new consoles so we can port everythi.....so we can be creative! ya!

Why For?

Banned
btkadams said:
why would steam be a good selling point for a console? i'm going to make a crazy claim and say that most console buyers don't even know what the hell steam is and don't play anything more than farmville on their computers.

uh wouldn't it be better to just have them release the backlog to play on the 3ds??

But what if I dont want a 3DS? It would be fucking awesome if the new Nintendo home console controller doubled as a gameboy.

For those wondering if a new Nintendo system will sell, this thread about rumors of a new Nintendo console has produced pages of posts faster than any thread I've seen on NeoGAF in years.

antonz

mysteriousmage09 said:

Thats the worst part because that is the behavior I expect from Ubisoft. They are not gonna be very creative at the launch of the Wii 2 because they dont have to be. Wii 2 will be new to the HD era so they can be lazy with their approach

mysteriousmage09 said:

'

Ubisoft slop is a given regardless of how much power the Cafe has.
Such a horrid company.

Lonewolf_92 said:
For those wondering if a new Nintendo system will sell, this thread about rumors of a new Nintendo console has produced pages of posts faster than any thread I've seen on NeoGAF in years.

HD Zelda and Mario will force a lot of gamers, even ones jaded by the GC and Wii, to buy a Cafe.

Sadist said:

This would be a logical assumption. If this is a March 2012 thing, the launch onslaught will be made up of 2011 holiday games from the PS360. If it's a holiday 2012 thing, then it will be made up of holiday 2012 games *and* GOTY editions of Holiday 2011 games.

Mega Man

Snakeyes said:
Here's what I posted on the subject earlier;

They need to offer a nice middle ground between innovation and performance. Nintendo is pretty good at the former but they need a console that will support most, if not all of the next generation's graphical trends, albeit on a smaller scale. Tesselation, ray-tracing and all that. Don't skimp on the RAM.

A system like that would be a nice entry-level next-gen console that would garner a good amount of support from developers and core gamers, especially if it's released more than a year before the competition.

It's either that they hit another Wii-like home run with the user interface, which I doubt will happen again and fade into irrelevancy once the PS720 hits.
In addition I think they need to continue paying homage to their retro games. Continue the Wii Shop/Cafe Shop channel, and allow the past downloaded titles to be transferred from the Wii to the New console fairly easily. IMO the virtual console is one of the best parts of the Wii

ZAK

Woffls said:
So, it will use the front facing camera to determine where your eyes are, and change the display based on that to show 3D? I'm not sure about this one, because Nintendo have said quite explicitly that 3D is not their focus for N6. I'll try and find something on it, but I'm sure someone else will find it first!
How is that 3D? You need a difference image for each eye for that, don't you? What you're describing is just head tracking or something, which gives an immersive effect, but I don't believe it counts as "3D."

I thought if this system is successful and the controller is conventional but with a big screen in the middle, they could bring out a fully compatible handheld a few years down the line. Throwing in gameboy emulation right from the start might be fun, though!

Sadist said:

Thanks.
Hmm... I don't get how a controller screen would help a hologram. A camera+sensors could locate your head position and adjust the TV view accordingly, Nothing Kinect or maybe PS Eye couldn't already do though.

szaromir

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
No one will hurt harder than Square-Enix if the 360-2 and PS4 take generational graphical leaps.

They're too big to be on download services, not efficient enough to develop home console games, so they'll focus 99% of their sight on handhelds.

Which will be different from now in that they'll stop even pretending to try on consoles.
Blaming hardware is silly. There are plenty of bigger publishers that are just fine. There are also plenty of devs that make games bigger in scope that are just fine, too.

It's Square Enix that must get their shit together. Dropping "10 minutes of retarted cutscenes for every 5 minutes of gameplay" would be a nice start at cutting costs and actually making their games enjoyable.

Pocks

Sadist said:

Didn't Miyamoto say that they considered pairing a small 3D screen with the GameCube, but it was cost prohibitive?

ZAK said:
How is that 3D? You need a difference image for each eye for that, don't you? What you're describing is just head tracking or something, which gives an immersive effect, but I don't believe it counts as "3D."

That seems like a horribly needless waste of processing power, though.
I wouldn't 100% rule it out, but still...

apana

Lonewolf_92 said:

Forum interest has never been a good indicator of what the public wants. Nintendo's base is kids, women, and old people.

Mindlog

So basically the old head tracking pseudo 3D combined with a sub-display featuring an appropriately tracked image.

It's all starting to come together.

Too much cafe' = Bloodshot eyes.

apana

AceBandage said:
'

Ubisoft slop is a given regardless of how much power the Cafe has.
Such a horrid company.

HD Zelda and Mario will force a lot of gamers, even ones jaded by the GC and Wii, to buy a Cafe.

U mean a Wii Touch/Wii Holo?

Woffls

Oh, and if my controller has 3D, they better have good battery life.

Yeah, this one sounds unlikely, but here's to another 200 pages of guessing anyway!

I doubt the controller will have a parallax screen like the 3DS. That would be costly and pointless, since it isn't your main focus anyway.

Doorman

You know...I see that report about the screen and camera giving you the illusion of 3-D on your television...

...and once again my mind immediately goes back to that goddamned DSiWare demo thing. That stupid pop-in castle just won't go away! :lol: Every time some new feature of this thing is rumored, the whole thing just starts making less and less sense. This really does feel like the DS all over again.

Which, given the library of games the DS has wound up with and the sales its received, I wouldn't mind one bit.

From The Dust said:
eye-tracking-based 3D isn't that farfetched I think

I was thinking this is what the camera on the screen may be used for. As you move your eyes the image on the television screen changes to simulate a 3D image. Although I don't know how well this would work since you hold the controller below your eyes.

So I kind of wonder how many future games we've already seen announced will be coming to this.

Like, for example, Bioshock Infinite. Or maybe Ninja Gaiden 3, since Nintendo and Tecmo have a thing going on now. Or possibly the oft-mentioned-but-never-revealed Code Cronus game Tecmo has been Duke Nukem Forevering.

apana

The holograms better be like that stuff in star wars. If it was like that then the controller would be even better than the console.

Touch

ksamedi said:
It doesn't make sense to make a console that is comparable to current consoles in terms of power and release it with a traditional pad + a screen. It would get owned by newer Sony and Microsoft consoles.
If it's the first of the next gen and Nintendo can get developer support, I can't see it getting "owned". Even if it's comparable to the current gen, which is highly doubtful. All it takes is 3rd parties to make numbers on the console, if they make the numbers there is no way they will drop the platform come SONY/Microsofts turn at next gen. Nintendo will become the "lead" console. It doesn't matter how powerful the PS4 is if developers are making the right amount of money with the Super Wii versions of their games. I see it being the whole 360/PS3 thing over again. This time Nintendo instead of Microsoft.

brochiller said:
I was thinking this is what the camera on the screen may be used for. As you move your eyes the image on the television screen changes to simulate a 3D image. Although I don't know how well this would work since you hold the controller below your eyes.

Nintendo magic. ain't gotta explain shit

apana

ShockingAlberto said:
So I kind of wonder how many future games we've already seen announced will be coming to this.

Like, for example, Bioshock Infinite. Or maybe Ninja Gaiden 3, since Nintendo and Tecmo have a thing going on now. Or possibly the oft-mentioned-but-never-revealed Code Cronus game Tecmo has been Duke Nukem Forevering.

Metal Gear Solid Rising has to be one of them. Hell even Final Fantasy. Maybe a port of 13 or Versus.

ShockingAlberto said:

Likely every game released from E3 to when the N6 comes out will be ported to this machine.
Which would actually be a pretty healthy library right off the bat.

Nintendawg

Neo Member
So SUPPOSEDLY Nintendo's creating holograms and the like on consoles?
I guess it was only a matter of time. As crazy as these rumors sound, it fits in line with the 3DS and the many years they've spent trying to accomplish 3D gameplay.

I seem to remember some higher-up in Nintendo talking about having Luigi's Mansion display in 3D on a regular TV, which is interesting, to say the least. I guess they have more things in mind that aren't related to the 3DS.

I for one welcome Project Cafe.

plex

Hey guys, I think I've come up with an idea how to combine the dualsticks aspect with the tablet-concept.
Not really sure if this has been suggested before, but here it is:

projectcafeconcept.png

The tablet would recognize the rotation and auto-adjust the orientation of the screen, just like the iPad does.

szaromir

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:

Tecmo recently commented that both Code Cronus and Project Progressive had been cancelled.

Am I the only one buzzing in anticipation of E3 simply because I can't wait to see what Sony and MS respond with?

I want the next Nintendo console to be fucking amazing, I'll be there day one provided there is Zelda/Mario to back it up - but I really want it to blow the 360/PS3 away simply to see how far MS/Sony will go. Another loss leader might be bad for profits - but it's great for me as a consumer, bring on 8gb RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom