• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyrokai

So this mysterious David Perry quote....

1.) What the hell was it?
2.) Is it indeed fake?

Even if it is fake, I still want to know what it said....

crisdecuba said:
can't seem to learn how to copy and paste the tweet on android, but everyone should check out jim reilly's latest tweet.

"The next big scoop on the Nintendo console is a picture of the controller. I wonder if someone will get one."

Don't think this means anything, just that the next big wave of info will be if someone puts up a picture of the controller.

apana

crisdecuba said:
can't seem to learn how to copy and paste the tweet on android, but everyone should check out jim reilly's latest tweet.

Something about someone getting a picture of the controller. Who cares, it will probably be a fake anyways.

Woffls

crisdecuba said:
Yeah we covered that one a while ago. Didn't get much attention though, I don't think.

Raide

AceBandage said:
"The next big scoop on the Nintendo console is a picture of the controller. I wonder if someone will get one."

AtariJoystick.jpg

Bam.

Retro

Totally talking out my ass here, but maybe the "Main Feature" combines the Television Screen, Controller Screen and the Front-facing camera for an Augmented Reality-type experience.

SHAMELESSLY Borrowing Graphics Horse's awesome mockup

For example, you might be playing Luigi's Mansion 2 and lift your controller up so you're 'looking through' the screen at the TV and it shows ghosts coming out of your screen to attack you.

8WrPK.jpg

Or you hold up the screen and it switches to 'sniper mode' and your personal screen zooms while your regular TV stays the same (but responds appropriately to what you're pointing the system at).

jv2JC.jpg

Because the console is streaming to the controller, it can't put out so much power. HOWEVER, that doesn't matter because when you're doing this streaming, you're not really looking at the TV anyways. It might switch on and off quickly.

Perhaps another part of that is actually taking the controller away from the TV and still be streaming for continued play in other locations. Maybe the camera can act as a light sensor, or there's some image-recognition based gameplay (Wii Scavenger Hunt?).

dVoK7.jpg

Just a thought. Depending on how long Nintendo has been cooking this up, there could be a hundred different ways to use it. But a Screen PLUS Foward-facing camera, I think, is kind of hinting towards you pointing the controller at things.

Effect

Cow Mengde said:
Might be because of diminishing returns. People on GAF insists nothing on the PC can blow away Killzone 2 or Uncharted 2, and it might not be that far from the truth in their eyes due to diminishing returns of graphics. For me, the newest UE3.9 (or whatever) demo only shows more complex geometry, but most of the other new effects are things I don't understand enough to appreciate how much power it takes to pull them off.

For example: Let say the 360 can run at 30fps with 20 real-time lights illuminating the scene. On Wii 2, the same scene would have 40 real-time lights illuminating the scene while running at 60fps. Real-time lights are still very taxing on the hardware, but most people wouldn't know that. Hell, we still have people that can't tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps.
Thanks. That somewhat makes sense.

apana said:
I dont want to believe the rumors about six inch touch screen fit into classic controller and just a notch above 360 because then the Wii 2 sounds like the worst console to me. So I choose to believe it is all a lie.

Don't let the power speculation bring you down. Developers dont know shit about making a system trully sing so early in the cycle. Just look at any launch game in the past 10 years (except rogue leader). The 1.5x stuff is almost always based on pure clock speed and the like, and not the intricacies of the hardware that truly determine its worth.

Game-Biz

It looks like that latest 01net article reinforces that the cafe is "on par" with the 360 in terms of power, regardless of what other sources imply. Fucking fake David Perry quote. Jesus. I can't take these highs and lows of this emotional rollercoaster of a thread.

I'm keeping my expectations low low low...

Nice ideas Retro! I get the feeling I should have made a landscape screen..
Pyrokai said:

2.) Is it indeed fake?

Google Dave Perry Wii. Probably the same dutch guy who tried to fake a Ubisoft quote about holography. The final line may even turn out to have some truth in it.

apana

Noticing how fast the thread was moving just now, when we actually get a picture it's gonna be like a 100 posts per second.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Pyrokai said:

2.) Is it indeed fake?

Its still quoted here...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27233001&postcount=11360

And again...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27232858&postcount=11333
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27232789&postcount=11315

The original was edited out, but actually the prudent thing to do in these situations may be to instead mark the original post as bogus by putting something along this before it...
The info below is FAKE please IGNORE.

and after it...
^^^^
FAKE
And also there is the 'strike' tag.

antonz

Game-Biz said:
It looks like that latest 01net article reinforces that the cafe is "on par" with the 360 in terms of power, regardless of what other sources imply. Fucking fake David Perry quote. Jesus. I can't take these highs and lows of this emotional rollercoaster of a thread.

I'm keeping my expectations low low low...

Hm actually they changed it up in the new one. They say the architecture is similar to the 360. That in fact isnt a power discussion at all. The Wii 2 could Get a Tri Core based on similar architecture to the 360 yet that CPU could have significant power differences

Game-Biz

antonz said:
Hm actually they changed it up in the new one. They say the architecture is similar to the 360. That in fact isnt a power discussion at all. The Wii 2 could Get a Tri Core based on similar architecture to the 360 yet that CPU could have significant power differences
Oh ok, thanks for clearing that up. Damn you Google Translations.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Retro said:
Totally talking out my ass here, but maybe the "Main Feature" combines the Television Screen, Controller Screen and the Front-facing camera for an Augmented Reality-type experience.

Nice mockups. I pondered the same earlier in the thread (with a nintendogs example instead - the puppy jumping out of the TV onto your living room floor, via the tablet screen). I think this could be interesting, and could certainly make for a cool on-stage tech demo at least. Would have a novelty/'wow' factor.

But rumours say the camera is front-facing...needs a back-facing one too for this.

(Not that I expect rumours to be remotely exhaustive at this stage...but I hope they do have the sense to put a back facing cam on this if there's a screen, to allow for AR.)

cacildo

Retro said:

YES! YES! THIS IS IT! I CAN SEE IT NOW! ITS EXACTLY WHAT NINTENDO IS PLANNING!!!

Except this... this is a terrible gimmick. And an expensive one. Its a terrible idea all around.

I really hope this is not "it"

antonz

Game-Biz said:
Oh ok, thanks for clearing that up. Damn you Google Translations.
I suspect they still think its gonna be in the same league. But Honestly we really dont know either which way More sites say more powerful than do the same.

Similar architecture can be taken as more of the same but the reality is can be vastly different.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I really haven't managed to keep up with the entire thread, but there a few odd trends that seem to be going in the wrong direction here:

1) What the controller screen is for

This has gone from zomg how do you fit a screen on a controller, to thinking that there's only one screen per system and it would be useful for inventory and stuff, to thinking that the only possible innovative reason for it could be streaming the game to the controller.

That's all thinking wrong.

Biggest thing Nintendo did right this gen was local multiplayer. That's what reclaimed the living room, what spread the news and the joy of the Wii, what made the ads good.

It's here to stay.

Individual screens per controller make that better - or at least spread the potential across more genres and provide the possibility of treating local multiplayers on a par with online players. Trouble with split screen is you can see what the other guy is doing, at least locally. A screen on the controller lets you keep things secret from other players - whether a Scrabble hand, a weapon, a view of a room that only you have seen. All of a sudden local multi D&D is possible. And you guys think it is only useful for single player inventory? Get real.

2) Graphical power

We're talking mass market here, not technorati. All that matters is if it is enough to put out sensible HD. That's all. Nearly all of the potential customers do not give a fuck about anything more. If it's more then it's more. But it matters not a blind bit if MS and Sony then some out with something apparently five times more powerful, because if devs choose to use that extra power then all that will happen is that development costs go up, but the mainstream consumer will not notice the difference or be happy about paying the extra price. That's different from current-gen where there's an increasing adoption of HD and where the difference in visual quality was noticeable to anybody with an HD set. Above an HD threshold, nobody cares - or at least not enough people that they'll drive sales.

3) The Secret

The thing they aren't telling us about. Whatever is to this console what the Wiimote/Nunchuck was to the Wii. We don't know what it is.

Without knowing that, we know pretty well NOTHING of what this console is about. Even if we do know something about the power of the components, we don't know what that power is going to be used for.

EDIT: battery on keyboard seems to be running out. Typos.

MisterHero

Retro said:

pics and awesome stuff
lol I wonder how much it would cost for a modern Silent Scope (with optional Arcade-style sniper rifle peripheral)

that post made me want one

KevinCow

Banned
I feel like the bottom screen will wind up just being used as a map in a lot of games, like with the DS. And just like with the DS, a lot of people will complain about it being a lazy implementation. And just like the DS, despite this, it will be one of the more useful uses of the controller screen.

The GTA rumor made me think of this. Get rid of that tiny circular mini-map on the main screen (though keep an option for it in case people still like it), and instead give the player a bigger six inch map in his hands. Not just GTA, either. This would be a nice option for any sandbox game. Free up that bottom corner of screen real estate from the distracting little mini-map, and at the same time provide a bigger, better version of the mini-map.

In GTA's particular case, I imagine it would be really neat and fitting to the series if they made the mini-map act, look, and sound like a real modern day GPS.

antonz

Maxrpg said:
GTV5 day one with the console? Definitive version if true? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
I would have to think even if they dont do anything special overall the extra power alone would enable it to run better.

EmCeeGramr said:
Seriously.

GTAV a Nintendo launch title game.

Really guys.
They are hinting more as a launch window title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom