• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Rumor: Xbox 3 = 6-core CPU, 2GB of DDR3 Main RAM, 2 AMD GPUs w/ Unknown VRAM, At CES

Status
Not open for further replies.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Oct 26, 2009
24,268
0
0
Literal translation:

Stumpokapow said:
"Level of CPU, it'll have a 6-core which has 2GB of DDR3 (ram), and our source also talked about a prototype of a double AMD GPU. We don't know how much RAM (the GPU has)"

(Again, this is my [stump's] literal translation of the original French rumour. I don't endorse or believe the rumour.)

-------------

http://www.vg247.com/2011/11/14/report-next-gen-xbox-announcement-for-ces-hex-core-cpu-inside/

I thought that it deserves its own thread because hex-core CPU is a massive increase over 3 cores (and it's still exotic on PC market) while 2GB of DDR3 RAM is much less than was expected.

The story’s also rumouring that the machine is to have a hex-core CPU with 2GB of DDR3 RAM and has been in the works since 2005 – the year Xbox 360 released. AMD is to provide the GPU, according to the piece.

As previously rumoured, Xboxygen says a division called Loop is handling software development on the project, while another team, Infinity, is working on the console itself.



lol @ Crytek. Their dreams are likely to be crushed
 

UnluckyKate

Member
Jan 15, 2008
18,253
3
0
2gb of ram is the best to expect for next gen. Anyone asking for more is begging for disappointment. This information is believable
 

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Dec 27, 2009
5,243
106
1,035
2GB of ram for a console will get better performance than your Pc with 2GB.
 

PnCIa

Member
Nov 26, 2005
2,779
0
1,405
Germany
2GB Ram sounds like a very small increase compared to what we got with the jump from PS2/XBox to PS3/360.
 

Chittagong

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2004
19,299
5,094
2,110
Given an Xmas 2012 launch there is still time to change the amount of RAM, but the window is closing fast. Personally I think 4GB is a must for the longevity of the console.
 

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Dec 20, 2008
14,127
0
0
Need details on GPU.
2GB Ram? What. At least 4 GB. At least!

Router said:
When is CES anyway. Feb?
Yep. Winter/early spring if i remember correctly.
 
Feb 23, 2011
8,651
2
0
2Gb of RAM will bottleneck a six-core CPU, and before I hear "bu-bu-bu consoles don't need as much as PCs", that'll still cause issues if 1080p becomes standard and when visuals and details are given a boost. The fact that game developers have been having issues with consoles for years in the memory department means IMO it needs to be as high as possible, maybe at the expense of other fancy components.
 

Arcipello

Member
Aug 15, 2008
2,648
1
0
UK
considering how much juice they have been able to squeeze out of 512mb its pretty safe to say that 2GB is going to go a long way:)
 

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Sep 9, 2006
27,409
3
0
PnCIa said:
2GB Ram sounds like a very small increase compared to what we got with the jump from PS2/XBox to PS3/360.

Not really, especially since we dont know if and how big the extra V-Ram will be. Ram wont be the bottleneck of those consoles.
 

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Oct 26, 2009
24,268
0
0
Guerrillas in the Mist said:
2Gb of RAM will bottleneck a six-core CPU, and before I hear "bu-bu-bu consoles don't need as much as PCs", that'll still cause issues if 1080p becomes standard and when visuals and details are given a boost. The fact that game developers have been having issues with consoles for years in the memory department means IMO it needs to be as high as possible, maybe at the expense of other fancy components.

it won't I think.
 

Busty

Banned
Aug 26, 2006
16,956
1
0
Seems fine. It just makes the 'Battlefield 3 on PC is next gen' noise all the more likely.

In saying that I still don't think anyone is ready for another console gen to start before Xmas 2013 at the EARLIEST.

UnluckyKate said:
2gb of ram is the best to expect for next gen. Anyone asking for more is begging for disappointment. This information is believable

Agreed. This is exactly what makes this rumour more credible than most fanboy 'rumours'.
 

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Dec 20, 2008
14,127
0
0
AniHawk said:
if this is true, i think it's going to be a 2012 system.
Christmas 2012 means it will sell like crazy.

mocoworm said:
What will the storage media solution be though ? Will MS just suck it up and run with Blu-Ray ?
They don't have a choice.
 

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Oct 26, 2009
24,268
0
0
Guerrillas in the Mist said:
Yeah, I've got a feeling that will be the case, and I'll probably stick with PC gaming when the next gen first launches, putting some of the cash I'd use for a new console on upgrades.

I think you won't because no way hex-core CPUs will be a standard component for PCs in 2012-2013.

On the other hand I don't think devs will be able to utilize all cores on launch. I expect this console to put a dent in high-end PC gaming anyway for a year or two at least. By dent I mean PCs won't be able to run best-looking console games.
 

[Nintex]

Member
Jun 21, 2005
18,889
5
1,560
32
The Netherlands
www.n1ntendo.nl
Christmas 2012 for sure :)

As for the RAM, perhaps there's a small chance that it might be VRAM only and it'll get a seperate system-RAM pool but 2GB is still 4x the ammount found in the Xbox 360 today so plenty of RAM for gaming purposes in any case.
 

whitehawk

Banned
Jan 27, 2008
24,815
326
1,345
Canada
PCs nowadays have 4-8gb of RAM on average. What did PCs have in 2005 on average? 512-1gb?

I really hope Microsoft looks at what they almost did with the 360 (the 360 almost had 256mb of ram until CliffyB/Epic convinced them to go for 512mb) and spring for 4gb.
 

SolarPowered

Member
Feb 17, 2009
25,576
0
0
I won't believe the hexacore CPU until I see pictures and official coverage. The two GB of RAM sounds about right and I lol in the general direction of folks in the thread who think 3GB+ is necessary.
Keyser Soze said:
Having 2GB is fien now, but it means it will be out of date 2 years after release
Yep, especially because the Wii U will be packing four GB come launch time.
 
Dec 11, 2010
34,635
2
0
DDR3?







Can the people making these rumors at least try? There's a higher chance that this thing will run on Betamax than the unified RAM pool being DDR3.
 

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Oct 26, 2009
24,268
0
0
SolarPowered said:
I won't believe the hexacore CPU until I see pictures and official coverage. The two GB of RAM sounds about right and I lol in the general direction of folks in the thread who think 3GB+ is necessary.

yeah, this sounds crazy
 

Kyoufu

Member
Jul 26, 2007
72,201
6
0
London
twitter.com
[Nintex] said:
Christmas 2012 for sure :)

As for the RAM, perhaps there's a small chance that it might be VRAM only and it'll get a seperate system-RAM pool but 2GB is still 4x the ammount found in the Xbox 360 today so plenty of RAM for gaming purposes in any case.

Good luck with that.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.