• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Xbox Series X Seagate 1TB SSD Expansion Priced at $219.99

truth411

Its proprietary, so its going to be expensive. Long term open market is always more consumer friendly. What i wonder is this going to be another PS Vita situation.

truth411

The price is real.

I'm honestly surprised how technologically stupid a huge amount of this forum is.

It's like people thought this proprietary m.2 drive was going to be $100 for a 1TB or something.
Honestly im suprise it doesn't cost more. But the 2TB version is going to be insanely expensive.

Rollingrock

Neo Member
Is it possible to use my 4tb external hdd I've got hooked up on my one s to play games on the series s? Or is it just for storage? If so then all my old games will stay on the hdd and that'll be ok for the next 2-3 years.

TheGrat1

I am going to choose to not believe this. If this was true it means MS is telling me this thing is worth 2/3 of a Series S, to which I say:
Kaddrud.gif

And 825 gig will with games with 4x the texture size lol? The concern is very touching on a no name source.
Uhhhhh, do you think the Series S is getting it's own version of games? 99% chance it shares the file with the Series X just like the One Family.

I don't buy it, the Series S as an entire system is $299.99 with a drive half the size, that price doesn't really seem to bear out.

$149.99 seems like something more realistic.

FeiRR

Banned
Don't worry. It'll come with the Xbox Even More All In financing plan which everyone will love, no matter what.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Well, damn. It's been a while since I bought my Samsung EVO 500GB SSD. So, I checked current prices of SSDs to make sure that I don't make an ass out of myself by suggesting that $219.99 isn't unreasonable, and I'm surprised that they're so cheap. You can get a 1 terabyte SSD for about $100.00!

CamHostage

as long as it is PCiE4, with >6.5gbs spec...which iirc, not in the markets as of now...

And it has to fit the M.2 slot, which unfortunately may not always be the case as I believe there's not a firm standard for these even though that long bubblegum stick shape seems to be sticking. (You actually have to check size a lot of times on your home PC, especially if you're adding a new M.2 to your laptop.) We haven't heard anything new about PS5's expansion slot, and by the time users actually need space to add on the drives they need may be abundant and slowly coming down in price (everybody's eager to get into Sony's market, and this being really the dawn of regular-consumer demand for M.2 (PCs have had access to them for a while but I don't know that your average PC user has messed with them yet, even if they've in the past change out their own HDDs?), so there will be an expanding range of choices for PS5 owners, but at November's launch, choices will be slim if any.

Microsoft's add-on is encased and will only have a few SKUs of sizes, so in a way it's good they have consumer-ready design ... but this being a proprietary card, you'll have to pay what MS charges.

iht9xGm.jpg

How much is an external 1 tb SSD drive these days? Most seagate ones seem to be close to 200 dollars on amazon or at least 150 dollars.

Pricing SSDs is super confusing because there's sizes and there's speed and MTBF ratings and M.2 versus SATA and PCIe versions and a mess of other acronyms and codenames and stuff (and the card that Microsoft showed off looked to be the size of like a matchbook, which I'm not sure matches any sizes I can find in M.2, it looks kind of more like an mSATA card in a case?) Xbox Series X/S Expansion Card provider Seagate has a couple products to look at in comparison, sort of: the Seagate Firecuda 510 M.2 M.2 2280 double-sided (3450MB/s Read) goes for $190 for a TB, and the Barracuda 510 M.2 2280 single-sided (3400MB/s Read) goes for a little less at $150 for 1TB. And the Xbox Series X itself depends on its SSD rated at just 2.4GB/s speed. So...math.

(...it's late, somebody please correct everything I got wrong. But even if this "leak" is bullshit, anybody expecting add-on SSDs to be cheap this November is bound to have a bad time in store for them.)

Uh boy, that recalls "the good old times" where you had to sell a kidney for a memory card.

Right? I get it, there's pain to new system purchases, but as an old-timer, it does feel a bit weird to me that everybody's expecting the Series X and PS5 to have everything the consoles will ever need right in the box for one friendly price tag. It wasn't too long ago for me when the HDD-less Xbox 360 Arcade package shipped with so little storage space that MS had to force developers to slice their games up so that some of them could cram them on the 256 MB storage drive; the $150 "HDD Tax" got you an add-on 120GB that made the hardware viable finally. And before that Memory Cards were a pre-requisite buy for every console you owned (and not just one but a handful and sometimes even a half-dozen memory cards were needed if you really gamed hard.)

Kids these days...

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
if thats the price, ill put 80 more dollars and buy a second series s for the storage lol

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
yeah people have really weird expectations for the price of this drive

currently external 1TB SSDs run for ~$160 and this is newer tech than those as I understand it, plus Seagate ALWAYS charges more for their 'gaming' accessories so I'm not sure why anyone expected this not to be at least $199.99

Plus there's Xbox tax. These cards use proprietary tech so MS will take their share of every sale. These cards will never be as cheap as a regular SSD.

Allandor

This is fake or just a placeholder. There is no way that it is that expensive. Seems more like someone just wanted to start rumors because Xbox got some positive press.
I really expect something like 80€ for the 1tb drive. It is only a card with flash chips. No expensive controller or cache. This thing is much cheaper in production than a 1tb Sata SSD.
Also a partner deal like between Ms and Seagate only makes sense if they were able to get a good price for the product. Else they would have also invited other manufacturers to release such memory sticks.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Dang I am still buying though.

1TB nvme of that same speed (wd blue) goes for 100 bucks on amazon, you can probably find it for under 100.... this is over 2x the price.

I remember posters here going all ooh aah propietary is much better than letting you buy one off the market lol when it was announced.

longdi

Banned
And it has to fit the M.2 slot, which unfortunately may not always be the case as I believe there's not a firm standard for these even though that long bubblegum stick shape seems to be sticking. (You actually have to check size a lot of times on your home PC, especially if you're adding a new M.2 to your laptop.) We haven't heard anything new about PS5's expansion slot, and by the time users actually need space to add on the drives they need may be abundant and slowly coming down in price (everybody's eager to get into Sony's market, and this being really the dawn of regular-consumer demand for M.2 (PCs have had access to them for a while but I don't know that your average PC user has messed with them yet, even if they've in the past change out their own HDDs?), so there will be an expanding range of choices for PS5 owners, but at November's launch, choices will be slim if any.

Nay PS5 slot should fit all m.2 ssd of a same standards form factor.

The issue is the heatsinking part. Fast m.2 ssd have big variable heatsinks, will these ssd+heatsinks fit into PS5 slot?
or Sony have to add extra costs to PS5 with its own extra heatsinking cover for the slot.

Ozzie666

Seems a good way to make back some of their losses. $200+ price wouldn't at all surprise me, especially after the Vita cards from Sony.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
How fast are NVME SSDs compared to SATA SSDs? Also, do they suffer from less latency? I have only a SATA SSD, which is a Samsung EVO 500GB unit; however, my motherboard (Asus X99 Deluxe) came with PCIe 3.0 expansion cards, one of which is for M.2. NVME devices. I've never used it and am thinking about finally doing so.

ZywyPL

Banned
I don't buy it, the Series S as an entire system is $299.99 with a drive half the size, that price doesn't really seem to bear out.

$149.99 seems like something more realistic.

The consoles can be sold at the production costs or even at a loss, software sales will make up for it, but when it comes down to additional accessories, they have to make a profit the moment you pay for them, for example the controllers are like 8 bucks to make and is included with the console, but when you buy additional one it 60$ or so. The proportions are seriously off compared to Series S price, but that;s the way it goes, I won't be surprised if this price turns out to be true. Who knows, maybe that's exactly MS strategy, to cut down the drive space (and other components) to get as low price as possible for the Series S, many people will buy it, but eventually they will have to upgrade their storage with no other option than 200$ expansion drive.

sendit

Series X/S both support external HDDs. As long as there is a user-friendly way to transfer games from external storage to the SSD and back again then it really doesn't matter that much.

Why would you want to do that? That is whole-fully inefficient and provides unnecessary wear on the drive.

Well a regular ole Samsung evo 1tb ssd is over $100.
This is well beyond an evo. Sounds about right to me.

The 970 EVO is rated at speeds greater than the XSX drive and is cheaper at 1 TB. Additionally, you can get a Sabrent 1TB M.2 Gen4 drive that is over twice the speed of the XSX drive at 1 TB for less as well.

Last edited:

Cyborg

Like I said build a cheap console and ask a lot of money for add-ons. 512GB - OS reserves storage will be full verry soon because its digital only. You are ''forced'' to buy this. So in the end a 4TF console will cost you $500....

Kagey K

Banned
You mean it can get additional SSD storage?
Link?
It’s going to have the same expansion slot on the back, I have no link, but you are silly if you think otherwise.

Going to have to wait until the official reveal, but I’ll bookmark this post, just so you can get the info you already know, but seem to need.

baphomet

This is fake or just a placeholder. There is no way that it is that expensive. Seems more like someone just wanted to start rumors because Xbox got some positive press.
I really expect something like 80€ for the 1tb drive. It is only a card with flash chips. No expensive controller or cache. This thing is much cheaper in production than a 1tb Sata SSD.
Also a partner deal like between Ms and Seagate only makes sense if they were able to get a good price for the product. Else they would have also invited other manufacturers to release such memory sticks.

Literally everything you've said here is incorrect.

It is most definitely that expensive
It is not just a "card with flash chips"
We know the phison controller it uses
It's fucking ridiculous to think this is cheaper to make than a 1TB ssd

Last edited:

Allandor

Literally everything you've said here is incorrect.

It is most definitely that expensive
It is not just a "card with flash chips"
We know the phison controller it uses
It's fucking ridiculous to think this is cheaper to make than a 1TB ssd
The controller-chip is in the xbox
the card only contains the flash-cells (qlc, tlc, or whatever)
no cache on the card
the flash-chips itself are really cheap. what makes SSDs so expensive are the controller chip and the cache-memory.

Last edited:

truth411

And 825 gig will with games with 4x the texture size lol? The concern is very touching on a no name source.
PS5 games quite possibly will be more/better compressed since we now know it will be using oodle kracken and oodle texture kraken.

Top Bottom