• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Xbox Series X Seagate 1TB SSD Expansion Priced at $219.99

My beloved Vita didn't survive mainly because of Sony's stupid and outrageous price for the proprietary memory card. I hope the XSX can use existing HHD to transfer games back and forth, and not just lock everyone in to their proprietary hard drive expansion. That would be suicidal.

kuncol02

Banned
Sony isn't having an official one made so it's hard to have one that costs double when you aren't making one to begin with.
I bet they will have official branded ones. Even if not then SSD with specs enough for PS5 could easily be >400$

Last edited:

HUELEN10

1. I’d be surprised if it wasn’t at least 180 USD. This is a proprietary SSD with the same performance as an internal one, and the price is not out of line with other external offerings.

2.Nobody NEEDS this, not even S users. If you already have an Xbox then chances are you are invested in a lot of games by now, probably over 2TB, and have an external HDD. You probably even run everything off the external. Even an S user should be able to put no fewer than 3 games on the internal SSD for quick access, a favorite plus the ones you are currently working on, the rest on your HDD ready to be swapped out. Mild inconvenience? Yes, but no different than the SD card solution on Wii. It’s really a luxury item, only NEED it if you want dozens of games ready to be played immediately at any one time without having to wait to copy to the SSD.

3. If you’re NOT invested in Xbox already and are worried about bandwidth caps and have gamepass or buy a lot of games, an HDD is cheap and a smarter option anyways.

No reason to freak out. If price and capacity is that much of a concern, just get an external HDD like everyone else.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
How fast are NVME SSDs compared to SATA SSDs? Also, do they suffer from less latency? I have only a SATA SSD, which is a Samsung EVO 500GB unit; however, my motherboard (Asus X99 Deluxe) came with PCIe 3.0 expansion cards, one of which is for M.2. NVME devices. I've never used it and am thinking about finally doing so.

SATA 6 caps at about 750 MB/S, cheapo nvmes like the wd blue hit 2400 MB/S. Top of the line nvmes like Samsungs top at 3500MB/S.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
SATA 6 caps at about 750 MB/S, cheapo nvmes like the wd blue hit 2400 MB/S. Top of the line nvmes like Samsungs top at 3500MB/S.
Would I notice any real-world difference in boot time and program loading with an NVME ("cheapo" and top of the line) relative to my EVO?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
So what price are you expecting these PS5 certified drives to cost? considering they have to be 7GB+ speed and fit the PS5 bay?

You made a broad statement about price behaviour of open market solutions and specifically flash based ones not consistent with the historic precedent of either... hence my “?”... it is > 5.5 GB/s not >= 7+ GB/s, why do you spread this misinformation?

Boss Mog

Wait until Sony's cost double that amount.
Sony will let you use off the shelf compliant SSDs so in theory they should be cheaper than proprietary solutions. Though to be compliant they will need to be very fast and those fast drives may cost a lot the first few years.

Allandor

PS5 games quite possibly will be more/better compressed since we now know it will be using oodle kracken and oodle texture kraken.
well ... there it is again. The Kraken thing. Kraken would be much better if the comparison format would be uncompressed. But kraken is only a small margin better (if you're lucky maybe 10% overall). Oddle also works with every other loseless compression format (not just kraken). There are also other texture-compression formats (like oodle) that reduce the quality of the texture but make it better "compressable". Oddle & kraken are currently one of the best combinations you can have, but only by a small margin better than others. We talk about really small percentages here. It is not like oodle & kraken reduces the textuers in half why the other formats just get the original sizes. This is not how that how that works.

Last edited:

Three

I hope that’s either fake or a placeholder because that’s a bit too expensive for a single gig.

Actually it kind of is proprietary since you really can’t put just any kind of SSD(or HDD obviously) inside the PS5, and there really aren’t many if any at all that’s PCiE 4 on the market.
There is no such thing as kind of proprietary. It's a standard nvme x4 slot. If it meets the min spec or not doesn’t make it proprietary.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Nah. You think all SSDs will be tested? That Sonys certificate will not give them +10% to price (or even more)?

They won't be sold with a Sony stamp. What will happen most likely is that Sony will have a list of drives they've tested on their website and that they certify that barring manufacturer defect comply with ps5 drive specifications.

The way things are looking, you'll be charged double market price for this proprietary Xbox expansion drives, which was to be expected.

INC

They won't be sold with a Sony stamp. What will happen most likely is that Sony will have a list of drives they've tested on their website and that they certify that barring manufacturer defect comply with ps5 drive specifications.

The way things are looking, you'll be charged double market price for this proprietary Xbox expansion drives, which was to be expected.

Xbx s vita edition

kuncol02

Banned

They will be branded, or at least have information on box about being PS5 compatible. No sane company would omit that information.
For now Xbox expansion card is not twice as expensive as SSD.

Yikes.

1.5tb xss is 520$ and 1tb xsx is 500$ with 3 x power and much more ram 😬😬😬😬😬
And 2tb XSX with additional gamepad is 790$. What stupid comparision is that?

Pallas

Gold Member
There is no such thing as kind of proprietary. It's a standard nvme x4 slot. If it meets the min spec or not doesn’t make it proprietary.

You completely missed the entire point. I know “kind of” proprietary doesn’t exist but it doesn’t mean one cannot act like one. These devices aren’t going to be cheap nor will they be flooding the market anytime soon.

Xbox SSD doesn't even fully saturate PCI 3.
Yes but it's also a small factor one which requires higher density chips. Which is more like this:
EkECO7d.jpg

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Yes but it's also a small factor one which requires higher density chips. Which is more like this:
EkECO7d.jpg

You can find them for less, Sabrent Rocket os a premium brand of fast SSDs.

But sure, they're a bit more expensive than standard size. You're still looking at double the price instead of more than double...

Birdo

Banned
It will be £90 at most.

It would be much cheaper to use an external HDD and just swap in whatever games you are currently playing.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
You can find them for less, Sabrent Rocket os a premium brand of fast SSDs.

But sure, they're a bit more expensive than standard size. You're still looking at double the price instead of more than double...
Couldn't be that fast when DRAM-less. Even with that Host Memory Buffer, it adds latency. Well it could be as fast with sequential read, however in random, that's where they start to show problems.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Doesn't mean anything since it's pcie 4.0

The console motherboard might support PCI 4 but the standard supports PCI 3 peripherals. I looked around and saw no controller specs for the Xbox drive and since the specified bandwidth doesn't require PCI 4, I think it's likely it will be a PCI 3 drive as a cost saving measure.

If you have sources that indicate that the drive is indeed PCI 4, please share them.

pawel86ck

Banned
This expansion SSD is not necessary. People who dont want re-download games can use standard and cheap HDDs to store their games there.

baphomet

The console motherboard might support PCI 4 but the standard supports PCI 3 peripherals. I looked around and saw no controller specs for the Xbox drive and since the specified bandwidth doesn't require PCI 4, I think it's likely it will be a PCI 3 drive as a cost saving measure.

If you have sources that indicate that the drive is indeed PCI 4, please share them.

Its literally on the Seagate website and was known since it was announced.

Flash MemoryCustom PCIe Gen4x2 NVMe

Top Bottom