• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Xbox successor codename is "Ten". Expected release Holiday 2012.

Credit to infinityBCRT for mentioning this.

infinityBCRT said:
Its in the last third of the latest Windows Weekly podcast on twit.tv. I don't know exactly where it is. The show notes are below, if they are in order you probably will be able to find it:

http://wiki.twit.tv/wiki/Windows_Weekly_233

Here is the direct link. The discussion starts at around 1:28:16. You'll most like have to let it load if you want to see it as when I've tried I couldn't skip to that part. But they talk about some other interesting things if you want to listen. The show itself is hosted by Leo Laporte for people like me who didn't know and the person talking about it is a Paul Thurrott.

http://twit.tv/show/windows-weekly/233

Ten....eighty?

Plinko said:
That can't be good for Wii U. They needed a year headstart.

Slay the competition while they can is probably their line of thinking. It's a good opportunity to take out a huge competitor in the video game console market. Though I would've thought we'd wait until 2013.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Plinko said:

If they did release in 2012. Nintendo would be fucked.

Blue Ninja said:
Holiday 2012? Not bloody likely if they've got Halo 4 coming out for the 360 then.

Oh yeah! I forgot about this!

No way in hell they're releasing a new console and getting attention away from Halo 4, lol.

Nintendo's done for in the console market and should just start making iOS games if this rumor is true, though.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Blue Ninja said:
Holiday 2012? Not bloody likely if they've got Halo 4 coming out for the 360 then.

Not a problem if the successor is backwards compatible. I can see it happening or it could be another Twilight Princess situation.

Orayn

Nora Kisaragi said:
Slay the competition while they can is probably their line of thinking. It's a good opportunity to take out a huge competitor in the video game console market. Though I would've thought we'd wait until 2013.
'Cause Nintendo died when the N64 and Gamecube were outsold and beaten to market by their competitors, right?

Rimfya

Banned
They named the 360 to go head to head with Playstation 3.

Now they gonna screw the Playstation 4 by jumping 7 names ahead. Go Xbox 10!

Holiday 2012? I'm afraid they're going to rush the new hardware out the door again and it's going to be just as poorly designed and faulty as the 360 was. I'm on like 360 #13 or 14 or something now. It's pathetic. Not to mention all the accessories are just as prone to breaking and we still don't have a controller with a completely functional direction pad. Based on Microsoft's track record with the 360, I will not be buying at launch.

Truth101 said:
Just like the 1 year head-start the Wii had right?
Except the Wii sold to a different audience than the WiiU is trying to appeal to.

I doubt it will be released Holiday 2012, I'd wager 2013 instead. I mean, would they really release Halo 4 for the 360 and then release a new console in the same few weeks? Wouldn't make sense to me. Like Halo 2 getting released in 2004 and the 360 in 2005. They have to wait at least a year to get all of the AAA 2012 titles out the door in order to focus on a new console and launch titles.

Medalion

Banned
pearl_jam_ten_1991.jpg

legbone

damn, i hope it's not 2012. i need until 2013 to scrape up the usual 700 to 1000 bucks (700 for 360 and 1000 for ps3) needed for a modern console launch. that's if i want to keep up my current game purchasing rate. if i stopped buying games i could easily do it by next christmas. but i can't see myself buying no games from now until then. but then again, skyrim is releasing this week!

edit: and 60fps is much more important to me than 1080p. just my preference.

Truth101

Banned
grap3fruitman said:
Holiday 2012? I'm afraid they're going to rush the new hardware out the door again and it's going to be just as poorly designed and faulty as the 360 was. I'm on like 360 #13 or 14 or something now. It's pathetic.

Except the Wii sold to a different audience than the WiiU is trying to appeal to.

You have no idea what audience the Wii U will appeal to. Just like no one knew what the Wii would appeal to.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Door2Dawn said:
Fucked how exactly? 360 had a year head start and still lost to the Wii.

Because the Wii was a fad that's not likely to replicate, especially with the brand confusion Nintendo is creating among the majority market of Wii purchasers.

Their only "update" with the Wii-U is HD graphics and one new-style controller. Otherwise it still uses Wii motes. This just creates confusion, and people have a Wii already.

GhaleonEB

Blue Ninja said:
Agree. Halo 4 is the start of the new trilogy. It's aimed at the current install base on 360, with subsequent titles the draw to upgrade. I can't imagine they'd launch new hardware alongside it.

Evlar

Banned
Rimfya said:
They named the 360 to go head to head with Playstation 3.

Now they gonna screw the Playstation 4 by jumping 7 names ahead. Go Xbox 10!
Yes, but unfortunately 350 behind the last XBox.

Top Bottom