• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumored Chinese Forum Xbox720 specs: 8CoreCPU,8GB,HD8800GPU,W8,640GBHDD

eso76

I would also add do not expect much more than a overclocked GTX 580 for the power of either Durango and Orbis. It the 8800 rumour is true, then it coheres to that fact, since the 8800 is a rebadge of the 7870, which itself is a "clone" of the GTX 580.

OEM only.
I have no idea, I've been reading this a lot in this thread but it always gets ignored.

Also, it looks like no one really has an idea what to expect from the gpu.

and omg, what's with that London picture? Could a spiritual pgr5 really be in the works ??
that road texture seems current gen though, maybe just the pic

jaosobno

how many Wii Us stuck together?

1861-i-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

Satchel

Banned
If the new Xbox launches with Project Gotham 5, Perfect Dark 2, Halo 2 Anniversary and a new built from the ground up CoD, I will shit a chicken.

Reiko

Banned
OEM only.
I have no idea, I've been reading this a lot in this thread but it always gets ignored.

Also, it looks like no one really has an idea what to expect from the gpu.

and omg, what's with that London picture? Could a spiritual pgr5 really be in the works ??
that road texture seems current gen though, maybe just the pic

It's January. Could be very early, but just familiar enough to catch a PGR vet's attention.

ekim

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1692115&postcount=17803

Quote by bkilian:
I will say that for a certain console named after a city in Mexico, all of the specs, current to the date I left, are out there. You just have to pick and choose the right bits from the right rumors. But I suppose that's always been the hard part, hasn't it?

He also seem to have worked on Durango for a living.

Another quote:
Anyways, I can't debunk, since I don't admit the existence of the product, nor do I admit AMD has anything to do with it, and even if it did, I do not know the relationship between AMD's lineup and this fabled product other than codenames.

That's NDA vocabulary. :p

Majanew

Banned
If the new Xbox launches with Project Gotham 5, Perfect Dark 2, Halo 2 Anniversary and a new built from the ground up CoD, I will shit a chicken.

Halo 2 Anniversary wouldn't be at launch. That's only 9 years. COD will be there, though, and you can bet that EA/DICE are hard at work to have BF4 ready to launch right alongside, too.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I've got a 640gb HDD now in my PS3 and considering they now sell PS3's with 500gb HDD's I was expecting a 1T
640gb is ok though

durango specs are this (most likely, almost certainly)

8 cores 1.6 ghz Jaguar CPU.
8 GB DDR3 RAM.
1+tf teraflop GPU with some sort of alleged unknown special customizations that may help it perform better than the raw teraflops indicate.
2-3GB of RAM likely reserved for the operating system.
ESRAM on the GPU (unknown amount).

the above is likely highly accurate and current summation. take it or leave it believe it or dont, it's real.

ekim

8 GB DDR3 RAM.
1.2 teraflop GPU with some sort of alleged unknown special customizations that may help it perform better than the raw teraflops indicate.

the above is likely highly accurate and current summation. take it or leave it believe it or dont, it's real.

And you base your summary on...?

Reiko

Banned

8 GB DDR3 RAM.
1.2 teraflop GPU with some sort of alleged unknown special customizations that may help it perform better than the raw teraflops indicate.

That's still too much RAM for a OS.

And you base your summary on...?

i learn a lot from skimming vidgame forums for next gen news 8 hours a day 4 days a week.

combine that with some common sense about what sources are reliable, and a few insider tips

most people just ignore the realistic specs and go on prattling about whatever though.

saunderez

That's still too much RAM for a OS.

Why? I want the entire OS to always be in RAM so its accessible with the Guide. Instant suspend to dash and then back to game like the 3DS. There's no need to be stingy anymore. 2GB seems fair to me out of a total 8GB pool.

That teraflop number seems quite low.

yes and no. xenos is .25 teraflops.

so it's almost 5 times that, plus much more modern and efficient, should be 8x+ in real terms.

yes, it's not a monster, though. the main key will be how it holds up to the alleged 1.8 tf in ps4, when combined with all system aspects (ram etc). i dont see a clear winner.

and again, there continues to be nebulous rumblings of special sauce in the durango gpu that make it perform better. but then again i wouldn't hope for miracles.

eso76

8 GB DDR3 RAM.

i expect better from the GPU and the amount of ram reserved for OS seems ridiculously high.
For the GPU i'd expect something similar to the actual 8800 in architecture (though certainly not a 3TF monster).

Then again, wasn't the gpu in xenos devkits weaker than the one used in the final retail unit ?

Antiochus

OEM only.

Precisely, because the real desktop successor of the HD 7000 series will skip the 8000 monikor and go directly to the HD 9000 series. HD 8000 series henceforth refer to rebadged 7000 GPUs. Hence, 8800 means either rebaged 7870 or 7850. Again, no evidence is present that either Orbis or Durango's GPU raw capabilities are that much higher than a GTX 580/HD 7870. What they can ostensibly "achieve" with it visual and computation wise, in optimized manner, is another story of course, but theoretical, raw capabilities won't lie.

If you're talking about a certain vague b3d related quote, you are a pulling a very specific number from a very unspecific quote.

I'm not saying the number is even wrong, but touting it like its confirmed absolutely is.

it's more confirmed than you think. i imagine it could change a little bit. clocks could change for example.

it's in line with all the original reliable rumors anyway (1 TF+, etc). but it's nice to have more confirmation.

it's more confirmed than you think. i imagine it could change a little bit.

it's in line with all the original reliable rumors anyway (1 TF+, etc). but it's nice to have more confirmation.

You've come up with 1.2 from "1TF+" and "don't expect a graphical power house". There is plenty of wiggle room in both, especially when viewed in context.

Nope, I have other infos.

But it's also fair to note the number doesn't deviate from past (reasonable) rumors and expectations. So it should not be surprising.

There's going to be some who will forever ignore it in favor of speculation about 3TF 88xx's or whatever. That's fine.

Yep, this is the first day I really feel like I have a reasonably complete picture of Durango. January 9th...not too bad, or something.

Hey, I'm pretty pleased with the number. Quite honestly I was beginning to brace for a 768 gflop 6670 (as per ancient IGN rumors). While at once slightly disappointing, it's also not too bad.

1+tf is basically equivalent to a HD7770 at 1 ghz (1.28 TF). Though I'd guess the actual Durango GPU will reach it's number by more CU's coupled with a lower clock for heat and power reasons. Again, when viewed against current gen, it's not bad. Like I said, 8X at least.

Compared to my factory overclocked HD 4890 in my PC it's probably better. That has 800 SP's at 925 mhz. HD 7770 has 640 SPs at 1ghz. But SP for SP Southern Islands crushes it's predecessors.

Also my 4890 is ~900m transistors IIRC, while a 7770 is ~1.5B. Another way of looking at brute force.

The card in the Durango will not be like anything like hd 8800 cards. It'll be better in most aspecs, and behind in some, i.e. compute.

The above is conjecture based on what's important in a console vs the pc.

8790M with heat sink below on right; it uses a mobile card interface and below is an adapter to a PCIe PC card interface that a 8800 non mobile would use. In a game console the cards are not needed, it would be directly connected to either a SI or motherboard.

mxm-to-pcie-adapter.jpg

But consider the size of the heat sink needed for non-mobile 8800 series GPUs (following picture is not to scale but if you look above to the PCIe adaptor and then below at the PCIe edge card connector you can adjust for scale.

images

Just from a standpoint of cooling in a living room with low noise above 2 Tflops mobile or HP desktop is going to be difficult. So downclocked 8800 or turbo 8800M.

ekim

8790M with heat sink below on right; it uses a mobile card interface and below is an adapter to a PCIe PC card interface that a 8800 non mobile would use. In a game console the cards are not needed, it would be directly connected to either a SI or motherboard.

mxm-to-pcie-adapter.jpg

But consider the size of the heat sink needed for non-mobile 8800 series GPUs (following picture is not to scale but if you look above to the PCIe adaptor and then below at the PCIe edge card connector you can adjust for scale.

images

Just from a standpoint of cooling in a living room with low noise above 2 Tflops mobile or HP desktop is going to be difficult. So downclocked 8800 or turbo 8800M.

Liquid cooling :eek:

Nope, I have other infos.

But it's also fair to note the number doesn't deviate from past (reasonable) rumors and expectations. So it should not be surprising.

There's going to be some who will forever ignore it in favor of speculation about 3TF 88xx's or whatever. That's fine.

Yep, this is the first day I really feel like I have a reasonably complete picture of Durango. January 9th...not too bad, or something.

Hey, I'm pretty pleased with the number. Quite honestly I was beginning to brace for a 768 gflop 6670 (as per ancient IGN rumors). While at once slightly disappointing, it's also not too bad.

It's basically a HD7770 at 1 ghz (1.28 TF). Again, when viewed against current gen, it's not bad. Like I said, 8X at least.

Compared to my factory overclocked HD 4890 in my PC it's probably better. That has 800 SP's at 925 mhz. HD 7770 has 640 SPs at 1ghz. But SP for SP Southern Islands crushes it's predecessors.

Also my 4890 is ~900m transistors IIRC, while a 7770 is ~1.5B. Another way of looking at brute force.

If you have insider information, and you aren't under NDA, the burden of proof is on you. I'd be happy with anything more than we have, and agree with you on most of it. Its silly to argue about theoretical performance anyway.

Where does the eSRAM rumor come from? eSRAM is faster, but also more expensive.

Like all the rumors there's no hard source I guess. You just have to follow along.

For a published example, it's in the vgleaks Durango stuff http://www.vgleaks.com/whats-inside-durangos-alpha-kit/

The Alpha kit uses a discrete graphics card similar in capability and speed to the GPU that will be included in the final design. The card does not have the ESRAM that the final design GPU will.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
London is a good start - means City which is critical to that PGR feel IMO. I just hope we get naturalistic motion blur and lighting, and not OTT stuff like blur and Split/Second

mxm-to-pcie-adapter.jpg

images

I'm guessing im missing why they can't just use the mobile part? The 7970m is 2+ TFLOPS, which is plenty. 8970m is probably better.

Eideka

Banned
Quoting first post:
User "BD" was a former UBI (now other 3rd party) employee and says that he will leak infos about the 720's dedicated OS Ram, if MS will not spill the beans itself on E3.

I know we want to know every bit and detail about the power of what Microsoft and Sony's next consoles will hold, but what about the element of surprise? Why not just wait until E3? Why does everything these days have to be spoiled and leaked? Let a real megaton E3 actually happen like older years, guys. Let a real event take place that gets everyone excited for once.
Would be anti-climatic to announce at a smaller event when the release is not even close. If true, this guy really shouldn't be holding them at ransom like this.

Doing this (rushing announcement) isn't going to make the console any more or less powerful. We're going to have it shown to us this year and then released this year more than likely. If it's a few months later and reserved for the big event, then so be it. It won't change the release date either.

Quoting first post:

I know we want to know every bit and detail about the power of what Microsoft and Sony's next consoles will hold, but what about the element of surprise? Why not just wait until E3? Why does everything these days have to be spoiled and leaked? Let a real megaton E3 actually happen like older years, guys. Let a real event take place that gets everyone excited for once.
Would be anti-climatic to announce at a smaller event when the release is not even close. If true, this guy really shouldn't be holding them at ransom like this.

Doing this (rushing announcement) isn't going to make the console any more or less powerful. We're going to have it shown to us this year and then released this year more than likely. If it's a few months later and reserved for the big event, then so be it. It won't change the release date either.

While I get where you're coming from in a sense, You clearly dont belong in this thread lol.

derFeef

I like knowing things, and we won't get any real specs at E3 either (I guess).
There are so many people invovled in making this thing, and makings games for it - eventually something spills out.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Quoting first post:

Stuff has always leaked even before the Internet. There are going to be megatons at E3 this year believe me. I know of 1 big thing that only a few people ere have even come close to guessing. E3 will be very fun.

Anticlimactic would be announcing it less than 24 hours before Sony announces their console at the same event. You get lost in all the noise.

Announcing before E3 get you out with the initial details and gets you the full attention of the media. Then, days/weeks later you show off more and release further details at E3.

I like knowing things, and we won't get any real specs at E3 either (I guess).
There are so many people invovled in making this thing, and makings games for it - eventually something spills out.

ms and sony have been pretty up front with specs on their hardware when announcing it. nintendo is really the only company that doesn't talk about it/since the wii at least.

While I get where you're coming from in a sense, You clearly dont belong in this thread lol.

Trust me, I want to know every bit and piece of info on the specs. If it's made available. It shouldn't be made available early if minds want to be blown, though.
On the bright side, believable rumors getting put out there might make certain devs push for even more and in the end we get even more powerful product, ones that will, like it or not, dictate the entire technical landscape (PC) in addition to of course what's possible on the two consoles. It's all up to these two consoles as far as the limits we'll see in the near future...I could be wrong, though and history doesn't repeat itself like what's happened this generation with the console-PC relation.

derFeef

ms and sony have been pretty up front with specs on their hardware when announcing it. nintendo is really the only company that doesn't talk about it/since the wii at least.

Even better :) I did not pay attention to E3 up 3 or 4 years ago so I am pretty excited for June.

Top Bottom