• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumored Chinese Forum Xbox720 specs: 8CoreCPU,8GB,HD8800GPU,W8,640GBHDD

VPNGen1l.png

Here. We. Go.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
One thing that I've always wondered is does the GPU that durango use the direct successor to Xenos, given that Microsoft owns everything about it and would seem foolhardy to give up after one generation.

One thing that I've always wondered is does the GPU that durango use the direct successor to Xenos, given that Microsoft owns everything about it and would seem foolhardy to give up after one generation.

nope, it uses amd's current cgn/2 artchitecture, same as pc's.

xenos was nice for the time but very outdated by now.

Toski

GAF will be disappointed at Microsoft's latest console because it will be more like a proprietary computer.

Microsoft is going to treat E3 like a consumer electronics show.

Just watch.

Xbox 360 backwards compatible via improved SoC Xbox 360 slim design. MS wouldn't throw all that money away on making that chip smaller.

Add ARM support since MS is heavily pushing ARM devices (Windows Phone 8, Windows RT).

Skype to replace group chat.

MS knows that its PC sales are declining. The Xbox is their silver bullet to have people invest in Microsoft's lethargic app ecosystem. Their way for people to buy Windows again.

Is it possible that Microsoft is taking "Steambox" more seriously than the PS4? If they can come up with a console that is "open" and cheap and well featured ($299), and drop their paywall; they might not need to push graphics as much as Sony is supposedly doing.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Someone reading this thread presumably, hah.

Ben is an actual notable reporter who has broken quite a few stories over the years, but usually it's a bit more corporate than something like next-gen hardware specs.

If we were hoping for "big" reveals here, it would be more like Microsoft's launch strategy and/or the system's final name.

It might also be something like who is trying to buy THQ.

It might share some similarities like a daughter die but who knows. Its unlikely to have too much in common.

iMax

Who is this?

The head game writer at Variety.

Edit:

He's moved to the Los Angeles Times.

Ben is an actual notable reporter who has broken quite a few stories over the years, but usually it's a bit more corporate than something like next-gen hardware specs.

If we were hoping for "big" reveals here, it would be more like Microsoft's launch strategy and/or the system's final name.

I remember him covering a lot of the Activision vs Infinity Ward trial last year.

Maybe I closed it by mistake or I've posted a similar reply like this in another thread lol, but there's 3DS news tomorrow.

If there was a next gen thing then I would expect more 'noise' overall.

Perhaps it should have its own thread?

I can't follow all these rumors.. one minute the Xbox is a beast out-powering the PS4, next they are equal in power, then the PS4 is better by a bit, and now people talk about the Nextbox being a low power low price machine.. so what is it?

i-Lo

I thought it was going to be a piecemeal deal for their IP and not the company outright...

Also, what are the chances of this being about the injunction imposed on the former amd employees for espionage?

GrizzNKev

Banned
I can't follow all these rumors.. one minute the Xbox is a beast out-powering the PS4, next they are equal in power, then the PS4 is better by a bit, and now people talk about the Nextbox being a low power low price machine.. so what is it?

One of the hardware designers keeps mentioning "cheaper" and "cutting costs" when I overhear him speaking with other industry members. Note that I'm not sure which Xbox it is he's talking about as he's worked on all of them.

That's all the input I can give.

i-Lo

One of the hardware designers keeps mentioning "cheaper" and "cutting costs" when I overhear him speaking with other industry members.

As long as third party releases on both consoles are at par with each other, I'm going to feel a lot less stressed out.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I thought it was going to be a piecemeal deal for their IP and not the company outright...

Also, what are the chances of this being about the injunction imposted on the former amd employees for espionage?

By my statement I mean a list of final bidders:

-Bids are due 9am January 22nd
-Auction will be held 3pm on January 22nd
-Sale Hearing January 23rd at 9am

We're close. Anyone trying will have pretty much decided if they're going in or not by now.

One of the hardware designers keeps mentioning "cheaper" and "cutting costs" when I overhear him speaking with other industry members. Note that I'm not sure which Xbox it is he's talking about as he's worked on all of them.

As in, it may have been more powerful but now they are cutting back? (if referring to the nextbox) =/

GrizzNKev

Banned
As in, it may have been more powerful but now they are cutting back? =/

No, just specific things relating to chips and crystals and other such hardware nonsense I don't understand, explaining how to take better advantage of fewer resources.

I'd ask him more about it tomorrow but I know better than to encourage him to break his NDA. He's a pretty important guy who takes his job very seriously.

And damn do I hate being vague. But the things said were vague in the first place. This will all be clear eventually.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

If we follow the prime rumor line, the next Xbox's core GPU is not as good as the next PlayStation's core GPU, but the Xbox has two graphics/compute co-processors while the PS4 only has one, and there is no real information about any of the co-processors.

We're pretty much in the dark on that front until someone finds out what they are and what their performance is, since it's like trying to compare the Cell and Xbox 360 processors without knowing what the SPUs are outside of the fact they exist.

GAF will be disappointed at Microsoft's latest console because it will be more like a proprietary computer.

Microsoft is going to treat E3 like a consumer electronics show.

Just watch.

Xbox 360 backwards compatible via improved SoC Xbox 360 slim design. MS wouldn't throw all that money away on making that chip smaller.

Add ARM support since MS is heavily pushing ARM devices (Windows Phone 8, Windows RT).

Skype to replace group chat.

MS knows that its PC sales are declining. The Xbox is their silver bullet to have people invest in Microsoft's lethargic app ecosystem. Their way for people to buy Windows again.

This is my prediction too. I also believe that they'll alienate any good rapport with gamers for such a stupid decision.

When honest developer opinions surfaces, yes.

It's not like Durango's ram is slower than it needs to be.

lol @ Honest developers being those that prefer less bandwidth and a larger pool.

Hey, so long as the developers favor Durango specs, they're being honest.

This is simply NOT true. If you have sufficient bandwidth, lets say 70MB/s is pretty good for 1080p, you don't see a extremely large performance increase in performance even by quadrupling it. This is especially true if you want to optimize around that.

The amount of RAM in the end would be extremely helpful in any closed system.

70MB/s? surely you mean 70 GB/s? And no, that's not "sufficient", or else PC GPUs would use it to reach 1080p, 60 fps targets. They don't, they use GDDR5.

Bandwidth is one of the most important considerations for graphics.

There's not simply a minimum threshold of sufficiency.

Spongebob

Banned
I have a good feeling that all the Durango specs will be leaked tomorrow.

Please Microsoft, alienate me by giving me more options. I would love to be alienated in such a way.
Options lol.

MS are shoving gaming down the toilet in favour of social media apps, Kinect and other forms of bloatware.

Like I've stated many times today, nextbox will be more of a cable box/tv tuner than a gaming console.

This is my prediction too. I also believe that they'll alienate any good rapport with gamers for such a stupid decision.

I also believe the product can't survive. Too many devices achieve the same results. They basically hope for lazy third party support.

I hope Sony first party turn up the heat on what we expect from 'next gen'.

Please Microsoft, alienate me by giving me more options. I would love to be alienated in such a way.

You get more of one thing for less of another. There is a trade off.

70MB/s? surely you mean 70 GB/s? And no, that's not "sufficient", or else PC GPUs would use it to reach 1080p, 60 fps targets. They don't, they use GDDR5.

Bandwidth is one of the most important considerations for graphics.

There's not simply a minimum threshold of sufficiency.

GDDR5 is 70GB/s bandwidth.

Is it possible that Microsoft is taking "Steambox" more seriously than the PS4? If they can come up with a console that is "open" and cheap and well featured ($299), and drop their paywall; they might not need to push graphics as much as Sony is supposedly doing.

Valve themselves dont even take the steambox serious. It was one big pr disaster at CES from what i gathered from the few threads that were posted.

MCD

Honestly, this will just make it easier on what console to buy first.

Like, the Wii last gen was a big lol in specs but I still bought it down the line to play some games. I did sell it later though.

Striek

I don't think MS is going to abandon the graphical arms race to Sony. I expect they'll be even, maybe a slight edge to one. I also don't think it would be bad for them if they did though.

Both in 2005 and again in 2011 Nintendo fans suffered bitter blows to their hopes and disappointment with their predictions with what Nintendo was bringing technologically, but fans and people in general can quickly readjust their expectations/"get over it", especially if theres another aspect of the system thats compelling. And if that other aspect helps MS breaks into new markets or come in at a lower pricepoint, *shrug*, its worth losing the few who would be so upset they wouldn't buy the new system.

abadguy

Banned
I have a good feeling that all the Durango specs will be leaked tomorrow.

Options lol.

MS are shoving gaming down the toilet in favour of social media apps, Kinect and other forms of bloatware.

Like I've stated many times today, nextbox will be more of a cable box/tv tuner than a gaming console.

You keep posting the same thing over and over in every thread. Better hope it comes true or you're gonna look kinda silly when it's shown.

saunderez

You keep posting the same thing over and over in every thread. Better hope it comes true or you're gonna look kinda silly when it's shown.

I don't understand the people willing Microsoft to fail. I'm most likely going to get a Nextbox over the PS4 but I sure as hell hope Sony brings it to keep everyone honest.

Top Bottom