• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumored Chinese Forum Xbox720 specs: 8CoreCPU,8GB,HD8800GPU,W8,640GBHDD

What?

Does it mean what I think it means?

Well I'll let the experts dissect it...I don't know if this is good news or not!

It's "peak" bandwidth. That means probably that for certain tasks which can fit in those 32 MB ESRAM, the bandwidth will be 170 GB/s. But for most tasks it will be a lot lower.

jaypah

Damn, I knew I was confused ... xD Then let me add: HDMI in?

so you can have access to your cable box with an overlay ingame. Though I wonder if you could hook a PS4 to it instead, lol. Talk about inception.

also, I thought someone was making a thread for this?

Now that I am reading it, I see what they are saying, the GPU can be grabbing data from both the esram at the same time as the main ram, is that not possible in the 360 architecture? And I am going to go out on a limb and say that the Move component is sitting there managing this stuff.

Presumably, that eDRAM will be used for framebuffer operations like in the Xbox360. However, it's always a compromise to evercome the low DDR3 memory bandwidth, it's not going to be as good as having DDR5.

i-Lo

Gemüsepizza;46702014 said:
It's "peak" bandwidth. That means probably that for certain tasks which can fit in those 32 MB ESRAM, the bandwidth will be 170 GB/s. But for most tasks it will be a lot lower.

They just added 102 and 68 GB/sec for that.

3.5 gb of ram @ 192ghz or 6.5-7gb of ram @ 170ghz. Which is better?

Will ask in other thread too.

ghz!?

I hope some devs/real hardware people can explain this stuff. It's getting repetitive seeing people who don't know anything about this kind of stuff act like they do just because they read something somewhere.

I wanted to share the following regarding next gen hardware from MS and Sony.

As many of you might have already guessed, much of the hardware configuration of both systems has been given away in one rumor or another, except for those few surprises that are sure to pop up - and any last minute changes that can be had. What I want to share with everyone is a reminder that we already know what the high level process of putting together a console is. In the case of MS, we have much documentation in video and written form via interviews and books even- and so we know the following to be true.

MS is always going to target the 3rd party community. It is going to engage them and along with it's own internal research, determine where gaming is going, what developers want, and what types of experiences they are keen to deliver. So it will design a system that is easy for them to harness. The choice of the 360 CPU and it's particulars (such as the VMX units and SMT design) are a keen example of this following the original XBox. The GPU contained an arbiter for prioritizing unified shader utilization so as to automatically optimize early game engines. The EDRAM allowed hardware graphical features to be enabled with little cost without the need to code what otherwise would involve hard work to achieve with what is just a 48 shader GPU - especially at a time when many developers were still getting their feet wet with things like HDR. The 360 managed to gain so much acceptance because MS did the right research and followed that up by listening to feedback from gamers and developers. It showed in the controller and the amount of RAM in they system. The OS and even the focus on media other than gaming is all based around the habits of gamers. After all, the data does clearly show that many gamers are spending a lot more time watching TV and Movies on their consoles than they used to. But more than anything MS understands what it takes to create a healthy platform. It knows that a platform has to win over developers because so long as developers are making money they will continue to make games. That means providing a system that is easy and cheap to make games on. And so long as developers can focus on the player experience instead of tackling large technical issues they will continue to make great games - and the more great games they make the more gamers will support the platform. If you pay attention to this, then it will be much easier for you to identify which rumors are false, and which are not.

And that brings me to something else. The 360 CPU, GPU and SDK have lots of nice features, but I believe the greatest are the features that allow for the capturing performance metrics via debugging tools. Specifically the ability to profile engine performance. This data tells MS exactly what the strong and weak points of the system are. MS was smart enough to know that it's not just important to provide a system that performs well, but one that teaches MS how to built a better one the next go around. You all know about the Durango meeting that was held between MS and various a developer. You all remember that a case was made, and that the rumors were that MS had listened, just as it has in the past. Having done the research on where games are going and what the demands of the system are going to be, MS has designed a system to meet those needs.

When the 360 launched, there were some things about its specs that seemed impressive at the time, and other things that did not. The same is true this next go around. I would pay attention to those specifics that are designed to make accomplishing certain things easier for developers. Don't pay so much attention to the amount of bandwidth, pay attention to where it counts. The next generation Xbox is this: An evolution of the Xbox 360 where MS addresses the limitations of the 360 design to balance it against its strong points with respect to the following:

1) The need to keep developer support
2) The need to deliver new experiences
3) The need to own the living room
4) And do it all cost effectively and with a power efficient design

I see a lot of focus on FLOPS as a metric. You'll get FLOPS, but if anything, this next generation will help to diminish the value of FLOPS as an indication of capability. With the right hardware, you can do incredible things that would otherwise require a ton of FLOPS. So when you see FLOPS numbers in the next generation, think about both all the things developers can use them for, as well as all the things they no longer need to use them for due to custom hardware.

Sony's process and goals are as you can imagine much the same. Of course we know less about it publically and we also know that the father of the PlayStation is no longer a factor. Some think that the Vita design is an indication of what is to be expected in the PS4.

The question you really have to ask yourself is which company do you think will put out the tools and hardware design that will get developers pumping out quality titles cheaply and quickly during the transition into the next generation. That is what will determine the lead platform early on. While that may indicate to many that MS has the upper hand in this, the current situation means that MS has the most to deliver in terms of functionality and also means that their platform is a risk for appearing to not be focused on the core gaming audience. That is unless Sony follows their unfocused approach and fails on the delivery. How things unravel from here on out should be very interesting to watch.

I hope some devs/real hardware people can explain this stuff. It's getting repetitive seeing people who don't know anything about this kind of stuff act like they do just because they read something somewhere.

This. Very difficult to work out who actually knows what they are talking about. We really are not going to know how impressive these consoles will be until gameplay is released. I think GAF may melt the internet come E3.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
MSThe OS and even the focus on media other than gaming is all based around the habits of gamers. After all, the data does clearly show that many gamers are spending a lot more time watching TV and Movies on their consoles than they used to.

weren't recent reports saying more people were using PS3 and Wii to watch netflix than 360?

the problem with services is that they want to be horizontal, and having them behind an MS paywall adds a barrier to entry that isn't there with other consoles or smart TVs.

I agree with MS that media is important, but so do Nintendo, Sony, apple and all the TV manufacturers

liquidboy

Banned
http://www.vgleaks.com/world-exclusive-durango-unveiled/

durango_arq1.jpg

That looks eerily like MisterXMedia's leakers specs.... hmmmm

and those CPU cores sound exactly like 2 x VTE processors ...

Well done MS if that's real ... cant wait to find out more!

That looks eerily like MisterXMedia's leakers specs.... hmmmm

and those CPU cores sound exactly like 2 x VTE processors ...

Well done MS if that's real ... cant wait to find out more!

The only thing similar to the misterxmedia's "leaks" is there are 2 boxes on the block diagram. Those CPU cores are nothing like VTEs.

Betterer, or worserer, than Orbis (based on both leaks)?

I think were at the stage where it just depends on how the hardware is used.
Orbis seems the more all round performance but generally Durango should be okay.

Lots and Lots about Durango we just don't know could affect it either way.
Its a games console but we don't quite know what its for.

Also these are 9 months old, MS only signed off the hardware a few months back iirc.

Karak

Karaaaaaaaaaaaaak?

Already posted my confusion in the other thread around some of the custom hardware. Ageias(SIC) knows more about it. Its a good deal of technobabble to me.

Except for the HDMI, which, if it stays. I am super excited for. As I have talked about before. I think that could be awesome.

derFeef

Already posted my confusion in the other thread around some of the custom hardware. I think Agies knows more about it than I do. Its a good deal of technobabble to me.

And I still think you are more credible than the other guys, even if you are sparse with hard facts but that's suspected from the type of source you have.

Yep, MS's memory setup was design to allow for a large amount of RAM for OS funtions/ads/Kinect/bloatware. Sony's setup is designed for pushing graphics.

not to seem stalkerish, but your entire post history is one of calling the durango a set to box / cable box and generally trolling.

it's not my place to tell you what to do, but how about toning it down just a touch? seeing your posts and the replies is soul destroying and damaging to any kind of debate that might be taking place.

Karak

And I still think you are more credible than the other guys, even if you are sparse with hard facts but that's suspected from the type of source you have.

Thanks sir. It is what it is. I just pass on what I hear and question everything. But, at least from what I can tell, what he says is usually right on or has been.

I also, since day one, have pointed out that my source isn't the same kind as theirs(obviously) and not intergrated into the tech as much. Nor am I as up on technology as others here. For example I still don't know anything about the custom tech or what it does. Or even what was trying to be communicated.

i reckon microsoft will switch out the gpu last minute like they did with the 360 and it'll be comparable to orbis personally. i don't think they'll go to market inferior.

Top Bottom