• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumored Soul Calibur 6 and it's story mode

Transcending history and the world, a tale of soul and swords eternally retold...

New rumors abound about Soul Calibur 6 and its focus on a story mode. The leak from an anonymous insider who has been advised not to leak information. " The game will have a huge focus on story elements."

I'm pleased with that Bamcock.

As long as Namco doesn't get a bad narrator like the guy who did Tekken 7 it could be great. Without a deep story mode Soul Calibur could end up going the way of Virtua Fighter.
We all need to shine on to see how far we've come on our journey, how far yet to go searching for our star...

Link Soul Edge Intro

kingbean

I hope they come up with something better than SC5. That story mode and lack of fun single player modes really made that game feel like a stinker imo.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
It's still a fighting game, though. Not sure how well that will translate. I'm all in for more Ivy, nonetheless.

A decent arcade mode is much more important to me than a story one. I didnt like SFv's story mode because it was full of uninteresting cut scenes and it forced me to use characters Im not interested in. I hope SCVI is different.
I also hope Ivys SCIV outfit returns :)

Dante83

Banned
To be honest, is SC6 that desired? Past games like SCV didn't really have the hype and some people even got bored with it including myself. I am not into the combos and feel of the game. I prefer tekken style combos. Would it be one of those games that is nice of know that it comes out, but would people play it enough? The last time I got excited for a SC game was SC2 when it went multiplat with guest characters, and it was coming off the hype of the DC original. SC3-5 didn't hold my interest for long.

pkScary

To be honest, is SC6 that desired? Past games like SCV didn't really have the hype and some people even got bored with it including myself. I am not into the combos and feel of the game. I prefer tekken style combos. Would it be one of those games that is nice of know that it comes out, but would people play it enough? The last time I got excited for a SC game was SC2 when it went multiplat with guest characters, and it was coming off the hype of the DC original. SC3-5 didn't hold my interest for long.

I'll speak for myself and say that yeah, I really want to see SC6. Soul Calibur is the only fighting game series with weapons that I've ever gotten into, and it's overall my favorite fighting game series of all time. I know the movesets of Kilik and Astaroth pretty well, so I can pick up new versions of the series without too much trouble.

That said, I think every game series needs to keep innovating in order to stay relevant, and SC6 would be no different. It would need to develop and expand upon the themes that made past games great in order to be a success.

I can see where you are coming from, especially in relation to the combo system.
My experience with SCIV and V told me characters need more combos in general. 4-5 ground hit combos would be my preference - not juggles. More just-frames would be great too.

NeonZ

I really think what crippled Soul Calibur's single player was Namco randomly fearing text for some reason. Backstories were shortened compared to the ones in the Japanese site, the story mode clearly was made with the idea of narration tying together the battles like in SCIII, but then they just removed the narrations, and the tower mode also suffered due to lack of structure compared to past side-modes. Then SCV didn't even bother with them since it wanted to go for a purely cutscene driven story mode (but they couldn't even finish that). They really should look back at the Weapon Master Mode. It'd work much better with the custom character elements now too, since original characters wouldn't need to be "represented" by the main cast.

SCV sold better than TTT2, in spite of getting rushed to release to get out of TTT2's way.

Pejo

I still watch that Soul Edge intro every single time I see it linked. That one and Wild Arms.

Anyways, i'd love it if that was true. Don't even care if they get rid of character creator.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
quit playing games with my heart
ftfy

Baby, oh
Even in my heart I see
You're not bein' true to me
Deep within my soul I feel
Nothing's like it used to be
Sometimes I wish I could turn back time
Impossible as it may seem
But I wish I could so bad, baby
Quit playin' games with my heart
Before you tear us apart (my heart)
I should've known from the start
You know you got to stop (from my heart)
You're tearing us apart (my heart)
I live my life the way
To keep you comin' back to me
Everything I do is for you
So what is it that you can't see
Sometimes I wish I could turn back time
Impossible as it may seem
You better quit playin' games with my heart
Quit playin' games
Baby, baby the love that we had was so strong
Don't leave me hangin' here forever
Oh baby, baby this is not right
Let's stop this tonight
Baby, (oh) quit playin' games
Baby
Sometimes I wish I could
Turn back time, impossible as it may seem
Baby
With my heart
My heart
With my heart

But would people play it enough?

Namco probably gauging single player waifu-fan interest for large upfront sales.

They saw what the did wrong with barebones SC5 and the backlash from SF5. The obvious solution would be to start courting single-player fans to regain interest since as you said also, the competitive scene wasn't exactly huge.

As long as they make a profit that's all they care about probably. They probably have all sorts of metric data from Tekken 7 showing most casuals play single player story mode then call it a day or something. Only the hardcore remaining for competitive online.

Wonko_C

My biggest dream guest character would be Adol Christin from the Ys series as guest character. He would be a great fit for the universe.

Soul Calibur on DC was probably the only 'traditional' fighting game I ever enjoyed. I remember SC2 lacking a bit compared to the first one, and I haven't bothered with the franchise since then.

To make me buy a SC6, it'd need a strong singleplayer component again, like weapon master mode, although it'd be nice to get a more elaborate story-mode, too. Maybe with interactive cutscenes that play differently depending on which character you chose.

Aside from that, just have it look gorgeous. I still fondly remember Sophitia, really made my teenager days 'happier'. 🙈 Considering that each entry of her got more daring, I'd be stoked to see what follows next. :D

A Switch-version would be great, if only because of the possible guest characters. BotW-Link and Zero Suit Samus using her energy whip.

I really want a Soul Calibur, it´s my favorite fighting game, I dont understand why there are not more weapon-base fighting games.

I feelt the gameplay of SCV was good but the story and everything else was barebones, in fact the story was awful.
I´d love to see a SC more focused in story with lots of modes.

amdb00mer

All this SC6 talk made me go back and load up SC4 and SC5 on the Xbox 360. I completely forgot Ezio was a guest character.

Narasaki

Another "CINEMATIC CAMPAIGN" storytelling BULLSHIET ala Nethear realm studios >___<?
Dear god, please not again.

Someone please tell japanese companies that the story modes we miss ARE LIKE THE ONES THEMSELVES developed ten years ago. The ones that are interactive, fun, with variety in gameplay -even strategic gameplay- you know, WEAPON MASTER, WORLD MAPS WITH MULTIPLE PATHS, THAT STUFF

Transcending history and the world, a tale of soul and swords eternally retold...

New rumors abound about Soul Calibur 6 and its focus on a story mode. The leak from an anonymous insider who has been advised not to leak information. " The game will have a huge focus on story elements."

I'm pleased with that Bamcock.

As long as Namco doesn't get a bad narrator like the guy who did Tekken 7 it could be great. Without a deep story mode Soul Calibur could end up going the way of Virtua Fighter.
We all need to shine on to see how far we've come on our journey, how far yet to go searching for our star...

Link Soul Edge Intro

I hope it's a story mode ala Soul Calibur 3, one of the best ever made story mode for a fighting game imo.

Bring back Taki, Sophitia, Cassandra, Seong Mina, Talim, Rock, etc. and all the old favorites but especially Taki. If I don't see Taki I will be extremely annoyed.

Pretend SC5 never happened and it was all a horrible dream.

Narasaki

Another mistake they should avoid: no western pop culture guest characters please. Star wars in Soul Calibur was one the dumbest, lamest things ever

Another mistake they should avoid: no western pop culture guest characters please. Star wars in Soul Calibur was one the dumbest, lamest things ever
I agree.

A decent arcade mode is much more important to me than a story one. I didnt like SFv's story mode because it was full of uninteresting cut scenes and it forced me to use characters Im not interested in. I hope SCVI is different.
I also hope Ivys SCIV outfit returns :)
UuLRj8Q.jpg

Terra_Ex

V was a dumpster fire, eschewing many old favourites and they even ruined guard impact. SC6 has a lot to prove, I'll be hoping to see something akin to SC2/3's single player content and story modes at a minimum, both of those were pretty enjoyable to me at least. I honestly don't see why they seem to struggle so much to make a half decent story mode for SC,just use 3 as a template, write out some text to break up the fights (with each character having their own unique journey, no bullshit ala SC5 ), throw in a map and maybe some CYOA style choices and they're done.

NeonZ

V was a dumpster fire, eschewing many old favourites and they even ruined guard impact. SC6 has a lot to prove, I'll be hoping to see something akin to SC2/3's single player content and story modes at a minimum, both of those were pretty enjoyable to me at least. I honestly don't see why they seem to struggle so much to make a half decent story mode for SC,just use 3 as a template, write out some text to break up the fights (with each character having their own unique journey, no bullshit ala SC5 ), throw in a map and maybe some CYOA style choices and they're done.

Like I posted above, it seems like with SCIV someone at Namco decided that text was bad for some reason. They stripped down even the backstory text compared to what they had written in the official site back then, and completely removed text descriptions from the story and side modes.

nelo_inc

Could it be that Namco like they did in Soul Calibur 2, will release it in the 3 consoles with an exclusive character?

Personally i would be happy with a Soul Calibur 3 HD for now.

I hope Namco and SNK continue their relationship, They could bring in some characters from Last Blade and Samurai Showdown.

tamtam_battle_final.jpg

Kai Ozu

Weapons based fighters need to come back. I liked SC4 and thought the online in SC5 was brilliant. I really want this game badly.

Top Bottom