• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumored, Unofficial or Fake Kid Icarus Concept Art Revealed - you decide!

VegaShinra

Kombo

Earlier this year, we broke the news that Factor 5 is internally working to revive the beloved Kid Icarus franchise. Although we do not have much new information in regards to the project, we have come in contact with nearly 30 pieces of concept art for the game, showing various different versions of Pit's new design, plus concept work for some of his weapons.

Last time we wrote about the project, Factor 5 was in the process of pitching it to Nintendo. Since then, we've spoken to at least one source that claims the Big N has expressed interest in publishing such a project. However, at this time, we are uncertain of whether or not Nintendo has committed to doing so itself. In other words, we have been unable to confirm whether or not Nintendo has officially green-lighted the project, but if we had to speculate, we'd say things are looking good for it.

The artwork we've published comes from a pitch document we got our hands on during the earlier part of 2008. Since then, sources tell us the game's art-direction has advanced considerably. Despite this artwork not being reflective of the game's current standing, we've decided to run it so fans can get a look at what Factor 5 has at least experimented with.

The last nugget of information we have to share with you is in regards to the game's plot. At the time of the pitch document's writing, Factor 5 had imagined a plot involving a grown-up, adult Kid Icarus in which Pit is "cursed for thousands of years for a crime and becomes a 'fallen angel'." The pitch document adds that "a tattoo on Pit's arm bears the inscription of Pit's crime."

When asked for comment on the existence of a Factor 5-developed installment in the Kid Icarus franchise, Nintendo gave us the expected "no comment on rumors" line.

Unfortunately, that's all we have for you for now. Be sure to check out the media gallery below for a look at the concept art for the project.

blurb_kidicarusartrevealed.jpg

kidicarusrumored_050808_12828.jpg

kidicarusrumored_050808_12826.jpg

kidicarusrumored_050808_12815.jpg

More at the link. Give me a few and I'll post some more.

Core407

Banned
PoP rip off? Rygar rip off? So much ripping off going on in that model. Also, why do all dudes look like chicks in JP games? Give a dude some fucking manly features FFS.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
User2k said:
I don't recall it ever being officially announced. What the hell is this?

According to this site, its Factor 5's concept art in their pitch to Nintendo

In other words, I fucking doubt it

To quote from the article:

Earlier this year, we broke the news that Factor 5 is internally working to revive the beloved Kid Icarus franchise. Although we do not have much new information in regards to the project, we have come in contact with nearly 30 pieces of concept art for the game, showing various different versions of Pit's new design, plus concept work for some of his weapons.

Last time we wrote about the project, Factor 5 was in the process of pitching it to Nintendo. Since then, we've spoken to at least one source that claims the Big N has expressed interest in publishing such a project. However, at this time, we are uncertain of whether or not Nintendo has committed to doing so itself. In other words, we have been unable to confirm whether or not Nintendo has officially green-lighted the project, but if we had to speculate, we'd say things are looking good for it.

The artwork we've published comes from a pitch document we got our hands on during the earlier part of 2008. Since then, sources tell us the game's art-direction has advanced considerably. Despite this artwork not being reflective of the game's current standing, we've decided to run it so fans can get a look at what Factor 5 has at least experimented with.

The last nugget of information we have to share with you is in regards to the game's plot. At the time of the pitch document's writing, Factor 5 had imagined a plot involving a grown-up, adult Kid Icarus in which Pit is "cursed for thousands of years for a crime and becomes a 'fallen angel'." The pitch document adds that "a tattoo on Pit's arm bears the inscription of Pit's crime."

When asked for comment on the existence of a Factor 5-developed installment in the Kid Icarus franchise, Nintendo gave us the expected "no comment on rumors" line.

Unfortunately, that's all we have for you for now. Be sure to check out the media gallery below for a look at the concept art for the project.

And the evidence that this isn't fan art?

Edit: I see, Factor 5 wants to make the dreams of idiotic Nintendo fans come true with a dark and mature Kid Icarus.

The Factor 5 Kid Icarus rumours make a lot more sense from this angle-Factor 5 wanting to make this game and telling the press, hoping the ensuing fan excitement would show Nintendo the potential of their pitch. I don't think this art will have the effect they desire.

I've never heard of this website before so I'm assuming this is all art found on DeviantArt that the website is trying to pass off as real in order to gain hits.

Chemo

This is some ugly, ugly bullshit... which would normally make me say "fake," but if this shit about Factor 5 is legit, this is about in line with my expectations.

VegaShinra

NinjaFromTheFuture said:
I've never heard of this website before so I'm assuming this is all art found on DeviantArt that the website is trying to pass off as real in order to gain hits.
They reported that Kid Icarus was in development by Factor 5 last Fall. If that is true, then it shouldn't come as surprise they got the first concept art as well.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Why does this always happen:

A. As we get closer to E3?
B. Only with Nintendo properties?

ShockingAlberto said:
Kombo was formerly AMN
What was that again? It sounds familiar... like from back when there was tons of Revolution related BS stories all over the place.

Blackace said:
this looks like the trend of western anime..
Huh? What does that mean? They look nothing like anime designs. Or even anime-inspired. They look like bad Genndy Tartakovsky knock-offs.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
this looks like the trend of western anime..

Exactly what I would expect from the shitty westernization of the franchise. I pray this isn't actually true. "He's totally gritty and badass now! Yeah!" Fuck me. If that's really the direction the game takes I hope Factor 5 rots in hell for defiling my childhood memories.

VegaShinra

NinjaFromTheFuture said:
What was that again? It sounds familiar... like from back when there was tons of Revolution related BS stories all over the place.
They reported Red Steel before it was announced and had all the details right and the code-name before the game was announced. That's all I remember AMN from before the Wii launch.

User2k

At second look, it looks that guy from the cartoon where those guys go around on flying motorcycle like contraptions, no idea whats it called. And love the thread name change :lol

dslgunstar said:

I actually like most of the art, but this... good fucking god. Hopefully, Nintendo nixed this plot; the series does not need a DARQUE XTREME BADASS makeover.

sprsk

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Exactly what I would expect from the shitty westernization of the franchise. I pray this isn't actually true. "He's totally gritty and badass now! Yeah!" Fuck me. If that's really the direction the game takes I hope Factor 5 rots in hell for defiling my childhood memories.

This is actually what I would expect from a shitty made up fanboy story.

If it's real, it's all the same I guess. So it goes.

sprsk

batbeg said:
Why are the pictures called "rumored" if they got this from Factor 5?

Factor 5 is just the name of the deviant art account they got the pics from.

batbeg said:

My guess is because, as they state in the article, this is from a pitch they got their hands on months ago, and the art in the project may have progressed/changed since it was given the green light by Nintendo.

batbeg said:

Because Nintendo hasn't necessarily greenlighted their pitch. It's like when video of a Ghostbusters game was leaked by a company that didn't have any rights to the license.

AniHawk

sp0rsk said:
Why does this always happen:

A. As we get closer to E3?
B. Only with Nintendo properties?

Nintendo is the most secretive company out there and E3 is/was the big place for OMG HUGE NEWS.

Meier

kidicarusrumored_050808_12828.jpg

Reminds me a bit of a Miyazaki character design. I really like this one -- gives me an Ashitaka vibe. Others are shit.. the one with the dark eyes reminds me of the character with the wicked teeth from Gorillaz.

Top Bottom