• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumors circulate after Vladimir Putin goes a full week without a public appearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
If it is a coup, it makes sense that the leading opposition figure would have been killed soon before. Otherwise Nemtsov would have been propelled as a potential future president candidate. By taking him out first, the coup could proceed without any popular figure standing in the way of whoever killed him. Otherwise you'd up in a situation like in Egypt when the MB took power; where whoever is immediately more popular than the coup-removed leader would manage to take over as a result of the vacuum.

For what it's worth, prominent Russian journalist Oleg Kashin :

Kashin⚓Kashin⚓Kashin ‏@KSHN 51 minutes ago

Как стало известно, на днях советник Путина Владислав Сурков срочно выехал в Гонконг вместе с семьей.

Kashin⚓Kashin⚓Kashin ‏@KSHN 53 minutes ago

По словам источника в Кремле поездка оказалась настолько срочной, что о ней не знало ближайшее окружение, а также администрация президента.

Deku Tree

If it is a coup, it makes sense that the leading opposition figure would have been killed soon before. Otherwise Nemtsov would have been propelled as a potential future president candidate. By taking him out first, the coup could proceed without any popular figure standing in the way of whoever killed him. Otherwise you'd up in a situation like in Egypt when the MB took power; where whoever is immediately more popular than the coup-removed leader would manage to take over as a result of the vacuum.

Yup. That's coup 101. Always assassinate the leading opposition leader before it starts.

What does that say in english?

Translation via Google:

As it became known , a few days ago Putin adviser Vladislav Surkov immediately went to Hong Kong with his family.

According to a source in the Kremlin trip was so urgent that it was not aware of the immediate environment , as well as the administration of President .

Yup. That's coup 101. Always assassinate the leading opposition leader before it starts.

What does that say in english?

Surkov (Putin's advisor) and his family went to Hong Kong, and it was so sudden that nobody, not even Presidential administration, knew about it. He cites a Kremlin source.

Translation via Google:

As it became known , a few days ago Putin adviser Vladislav Surkov immediately went to Hong Kong with his family.

According to a source in the Kremlin trip was so urgent that it was not aware of the immediate environment , as well as the administration of President .

I'm starting to bet my money it's a coup.

He tweted this after that, in English.

Kashin⚓Kashin⚓Kashin @KSHN · 48 minutes ago

And to those debating the issue, it is NOT normal for heads of state to disappear for several days, especially those with nuclear weapons.

Kashin⚓Kashin⚓Kashin @KSHN · 48 minutes ago

This is strange.

Again, make of it what you will. *shrug*

Showaddy

Completely forgot about Nemstov, that does make a coup seem more likely. Could still be nothing but the president disappearing so recently after the murder of the main opposition leader really isn't normal.

I bet this turns out to be nothing. Like others have said maybe its just more plastic surgery.

But also, Putin seems like the kind of asshole president who would take a holiday without actually telling anyone in government so maybe its just that.

Burt

Putin's off somewhere giggling at the anxiety the rest of the world is experiencing due to his disappearance.

He'll be back in two days, and people will ask him where he's been, and he'll tell them to shut up because he's Putin and he does exactly what he wants, often to specifically ruffle peoples feathers like this.

East Lake

Article from last year lol.

At the end of ‘Without Sky’, the boy sets out on a do-or-die mission:

Our very thoughts lost their height. Became two dimensional. We understand only ‘yes’ and ‘no’, ‘black and white’… So we couldn’t survive, needed permanent looking after. But we were dumped. Were left unemployed, without benefits… So we had to unite to survive. We created a society. Organised a rebellion of two-dimensional people against the complex and cunning. We are against those who never say ‘yes’ or ‘no’… who know the third word. There are many third words… confusing the ways, darkening truth… in these darknesses and cobwebs hides and multiplies all the dirt of the world. They are the house of Satan. There they make money and bombs… We begin tomorrow. We will win. Or lose. A third is not available.

It’s a deliberate tease of an ending: where does Surkov, a master of the ‘third word’ himself, fit in with all of this?

The day before Surkov’s travel ban to the EU was set to kick in on 21 March, his wife’s Instagram account showed them enjoying themselves in Stockholm, along with members of the Russian jet set.

‘I would take a close look at Surkov, his Stockholm photos,’ the hugely influential journalist Oleg Kashin wrote, speculating on who would be the first of Putin’s inner circle to break ranks. ‘He will hardly like the prospect of imaginary membership in the Ozero Co-operative [of Putin’s cronies] with its real consequences… Putin has turned into the hero of a thriller, who doesn’t yet know from which dark corner he should expect threats. There is expectation of the first betrayal – the Americans have made that the chief factor in Russian politics.’
http://www.lrb.co.uk/blog/2014/03/28/peter-pomerantsev/non-linear-war/

I'd still bet on the flu

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
It might also all be a ploy to say Putin's life and others in the leadership is in danger, so he can come back and really take control permanently, who knows. If people actually believe some forces are trying to do a coup, they'll feel afraid enough to accept this.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Rumors indicate that General Viktor Zolotov head of Putin security is dead.

Add extra salt if needed...

So far every rumor that has come up has been debunked, but this morning's batch are very coup-oriented. I expect that the egotistical shitbag will be back tomorrow with a slightly swollen botox reaction and "laugh at western media for their duplicitous focus on matters that are none of their concern"

I'm starting to bet my money it's a coup.

If it's a coup, the Russian government (or people in the know) need to let the world know what's going on immediately. They should have done that already. This is starting to become irresponsible just from a human species level. Russia is a major nuclear power, and there needs to be no question about the control of those weapons.
I bet this turns out to be nothing. Like others have said maybe its just more plastic surgery.

But also, Putin seems like the kind of asshole president who would take a holiday without actually telling anyone in government so maybe its just that.

Kanye West's mom (and Joan Rivers also) died of plastic surgery. Maybe Putin's another casualty? He could also be in a coma or something, where no one knows what to do.

If it's a coup, the Russian government (or people in the know) need to let the world know what's going on immediately. They should have done that already. This is starting to become irresponsible just from a human species level. Russia is a major nuclear power, and there needs to be no question about the control of those weapons.

Kanye West's mom (and Joan Rivers also) died of plastic surgery. Maybe Putin's another casualty? He could also be in a coma or something, where no one knows what to do.

"lol hey guys we are doing a coup d'etat on a nuclear power"

You're not going to hear anything till all the chips are in play and they have complete assurance that they have full control, announcing you're in the middle of illegitimately overthrowing the head of state might just cause a civil war with the army then having legitimate reason to take action against those seeking power.

So it would be even more irresposinalbe and stupid to announce the hostile political takeover, as they would absolutely cause far more shit than just doing it quietly

Xyrmellon

I know officially the US government can't comment on speculation, but I haven't even seen any comments off the record. Like stated, there's got to be concerns about the security of the nukes.

Unless, of course, it was some minor plastic surgery complication and the US has been notified. Then they'd wait for some kind of Russian announcement.

coups are rarely done out of a feeling of responsibility for the people. If they can consolidate ranks before things get public they have a larger chance of controlling the public reaction. They do not want a repeat of the failed coup that brought down the soviet empire.

The problem is that they should know what to do if this happened. They have a constitution that describes what is supposed to be done if the president is not capable of doing his duties.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The problem is that they should know what to do if this happened. They have a constitution that describes what is supposed to be done if the president is not capable of doing his duties.

While this is true, in the current context some powerful people could very well simply say "hold it" during that process. Logically you'd think Medvedev would step in, but obviously considering the current situation Russia is in, Putin suddenly dying from a health issue or an accident wouldn't simply go as expected.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I know officially the US government can't comment on speculation, but I haven't even seen any comments off the record. Like stated, there's got to be concerns about the security of the nukes.

Of course there must be, but it's not surprising the US is playing this close to the chest. There's literally nothing good that can come from any comments on or off the record.

Iolo

You say this as if Soviet history was not a succession of coups, attempted coups, purges, power struggles, and leaders temporarily dropping off the face of the earth; sometimes with weeks of government silence in between, much of it post-nuclear age. I get what you're saying, but this is not particularly unusual.

chadskin

Rumors indicate that General Viktor Zolotov head of Putin security is dead.

Add extra salt if needed...

He's reported to be dead now for a couple of days without any credible source cited or evidence presented that that's indeed the case. Looks like the rumor mill has come full circle now.

Frankly, I think we'll just have to wait until tomorrow when Putin is scheduled to meet with the Kirghizian president in Saint Petersburg. If he's a no-show there, then shit really hit the fan.

He's reported to be dead now for a couple of days without any credible source cited or evidence presented that that's indeed the case. Looks like the rumor mill has come full circle now.

Frankly, I think we'll just have to wait until tomorrow when Putin is scheduled to meet with the Kirghizian president in Saint Petersburg. If he's a no-show there, then shit really hit the fan.

I agree. Timeout till then and if it's a no show. Well funny business for sure.

Ahasverus

Weekend at Putin's.

in-one-paragraph-why-putin-is-probably-chuckling-at-the-latest-sanctions.jpg

10/10

Maybe Sergey Ivanov finally had enough after they killed his son in november. Officially an accident of course, but you know it has to haunt him even if it was an accident..

Article from 2013:

“Ivanov wants the throne,” political analyst Vladimir Pribylovsky wrote recently. The first step toward achieving that goal is to get Putin to sack Medvedev as prime minister and appoint Ivanov to that post. Konstantin Remchukov, the well-connected editor-in-chief of Nezavismaya Gazeta, openly discussed the strains between Putin and Medvedev in a recent interview, but noted that firing Medvedev could provide the opposition with a convenient leader. It might also be useful for Putin to weaken Medvedev but keep him around to do dirty work like pension and communal services reform. It is unclear how successful Ivanov’s campaign will be. But the intrigue shows that despite their professed loyalty to the president, Russian elites—even a long-term ally such as Sergei Ivanov—are already thinking about, and planning for, a life after Putin.

http://imrussia.org/en/analysis/politics/427-sergei-ivanov-returns-to-center-stage

RedShift

He probably will just reappear like nothing has happened, and it will either be a minor illness or just standard "do bizarre shit so no one knows what's going on" stuff from the Kremlin.

If hemdoesnt show up tomorrow though...

Knoxcore

The reason for his absence better be good. All this speculation is a little hilarious tbh. Coups, babies, death, flu, plastic surgery. The reason better be worth the 9 days of speculation but I imagine it's nothing at all.

So far every rumor that has come up has been debunked, but this morning's batch are very coup-oriented. I expect that the egotistical shitbag will be back tomorrow with a slightly swollen botox reaction and "laugh at western media for their duplicitous focus on matters that are none of their concern"

This is what will actually happen.

I'm not hoping for a coup, because there is a chance that even more aggressive government will come to power.

What would that even look like?

I find it hard to envision that because even in Russia, money is king.

More aggression will not help the wealthy oligarchs as it would bring stronger sanctions and hurt their money supply even more as the ruble continues to destabilize.

If anything, money is probably driving whatever is happening behind the scenes and I'd think that it's far more sensible that there isn't a move towards "peace", but more like a "Eh, we didn't really want the Ukraine anyways".

I'd guess that most of the wealthy Russians could not care less for the nationalism espoused by Putin and would much rather have their money and cushy lifestyles.

I'm kind of curious of the US intelligence agencies already know what went down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom