• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Assassin’s Creed Ragnarok; Next-Gen Vikings.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

It’s been rumoured for quite some time that the next setting for Assassin’s Creed is centred around Vikings. The previously thought title was referenced as being called Kingdom. Our sources now indicate that the title could now be called “Assassin’s Creed Ragnarok.”

This exciting title would definitely see a release on Next-Gen consoles. We’ve seen previous settings in the rich meta-history spanning across different spaces of time & renowned locations across the globe. It’s speculated this new venture could see an environment further set in the past than any of the previously experienced chapters, as it’s thought that this new AC could have of a focus on “The First Civilization,” The fabled culture (& acclaimed part of the AC lore) of technologically advanced peoples that predate our ancestry.

It’s likely the game will further improve on the notable RPG mechanics introduced first in Origins & increased upon in Assassin’s Creed Odyssey. The game will apparently have its fair share of Naval combat, and we can’t wait to see the Viking Ships. Another concept people are looking forward to is the potential return of recruitable NPCs; A concept we haven’t seen since “AC: Brotherhood.” It’s also been rumoured we may even go to Asgard, we may even face the gods.

Last edited:

MadYarpen

Have they learnt how to make a good RPG? Because Origins was a bad one, IMO, and as a result I didn't even want to try Odyssey.

You know, an RPG with choices and consequences, good story and dialogues...

If they did they homework this could be great. Even though the title seems a little cliche.

Loved Odyssey, even if it was hella grindy. Felt like they'd finally nailed what they wanted AC to be ever since they began floundering with 3.

I just hope they remember what utter bastards the Vikings could be. They really sanitised a lot of the nastyness the Greeks would get up to, and they were practically saints compared to what those big Norse bastards got up to for fun and profit all the time.

Doom85

Hell yeah, I'm totally down for a video game with Jeff Goldblum just having a good old time, a sick fight between a god and the Jolly Green Giant, Tessa Thompson being a drunk badass, and a final fight with Immigrant Song rocking in the background.

Fbh

Sounds fun.

Odyssey had a few issue in how grindy it was and how, IMO, it still struggles with telling a compelling and fun main story. But overall it was fun and got me interested in the franchise again. If they can polish it up a bit and improve some of the issues I'm in

Ozrimandias

Ancient Saga: (Ranked #1st) - Historical Accurate, interesting settting and a glorious connection with actual companies, templars and the Vatican
AC1
ACII
AC Brrotherhood
AC Revelations

North American Saga (Ranked #3) Meh
AC III
AC Liberation
AC Rogue
AC Black Flag

European Saga (Ranked #2nd) Unity, underrated, very good iinclusion of historical events
AC Unity
AC Syndicate

Mythological Saga (#Ranked last, worst setting) - What the.....im ffighting medusas?
AC Origins
AC Oddysey
AC Ragnarok?

Have they learnt how to make a good RPG? Because Origins was a bad one, IMO, and as a result I didn't even want to try Odyssey.

You know, an RPG with choices and consequences, good story and dialogues...

If they did they homework this could be great. Even though the title seems a little cliche.
Making it an RPG made the gameplay more fun and replayable IMO. If they added more player choice and better narratives, though... oh boy, that'd be great.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
god the present day storyline is the most pointless and confusing thing ever. Didn't they drop it like twice through out the series without explaining anything ? I remember aliens

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
09wW94T.png

Alx

Ancient Saga: (Ranked #1st) - Historical Accurate, interesting settting and a glorious connection with actual companies, templars and the Vatican
AC1
ACII
AC Brrotherhood
AC Revelations

European Saga (Ranked #2nd) Unity, underrated, very good iinclusion of historical events
AC Unity
AC Syndicate

I only completed those, but I agree. The first saga was fascinating both with plot and gameplay. I loved Unity for the historical settings and Syndicate for the gameplay (even if it made everything too easy, especially with how enemies would react to whistles).
I'm still catching up with ACIII, I liked some of the historical settings early in the game, but got bored when the "running in the woods" part started. But the cities aren't as interesting.
I guess I'll consider the American and Mythological sagas as separate games, since their gameplay seems so different.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Loved origin, i think the size was fine. oddyssey was far to big to the point u just didn't care anymore after a while and even the devs gave up half way it seems as quests where utterly boring and samey everywhere.

Origin DLC pharaohs was godly, same goes for fate of atlantis incredible fun.

I hope they do something like this with that assassin creed also and i am in. Can't wait for it.

I also hope they optimize the game a little bit better tho. odyssey was kinda rough on the front of performance.

god the present day storyline is the most pointless and confusing thing ever. Didn't they drop it like twice through out the series without explaining anything ? I remember aliens

It's so bad i would call it god awful. They need to disable this shit. It breaks the emersion big time.

Last edited:
C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
I really hope they reduce the size of the world. These games are pure bloat these days and it made me loose all interest.

Lanrutcon

I really hope they reduce the size of the world. These games are pure bloat these days and it made me loose all interest.

That makes no sense. Nobody is forcing you to explore everything. By making a huge world and having most of it be optional, people like you can beeline right for the end and skip 90% of the content while people like me can wander around doing everything.

Mista

Banned
This rumour first surfaced exactly a week after the release of Odyssey. I’d take that but definitely not this year

Too many open-world games the last couple of years. It’s exhausting

As long as they stop with the microtransaction bullshit, it could be very cool.

But the way they treated Odissey is disgusting. A potentially great experience sacrificed in the name of monetization.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
That makes no sense. Nobody is forcing you to explore everything. By making a huge world and having most of it be optional, people like you can beeline right for the end and skip 90% of the content while people like me can wander around doing everything.

It makes perfect sense, not my fault you don't understand it.

This might shock you, but I like to finish games. I enjoy reaching the end, and the feeling that I saw the sights. Stopping midway through is a shitty way to end a game because the final impression you left with was one of boredom.

I like to do everything, but when 90% of everything is filler bullshit with no meaning, I get fed up.

"People like me" don't like feeling like devs take me and my time for granteed.

Lanrutcon

It makes perfect sense, not my fault you don't understand it.

This might shock you, but I like to finish games. I enjoy reaching the end, and the feeling that I saw the sights. Stopping midway through is a shitty way to end a game because the final impression you left with was one of boredom.

I like to do everything, but when 90% of everything is filler bullshit with no meaning, I get fed up.

"People like me" don't like feeling like devs take me and my time for granteed.

Follow me on this: you don't have to do it. You're complaining about something completely optional. You're asking to remove stuff that you can just ignore.

That's not a problem, that's you being silly. You're like a guy who doesn't like climbing mountains finding a mountain and choosing to climb it instead of walking around it, then stopping half-way up and exclaiming "fuck mountains, they don't respect my time!", and now you're lobbying to remove mountains. Dude. You chose to climb that completely avoidable mountain. Every hiker on the mountain is looking at you and wondering if you're stupid, stubborn or both. Just ignore the fucking mountain and stop trying to ruin it for everyone else.

If the devs took your time for granted then the optional stuff wouldn't be optional.

Kadayi

Banned
At this point they completely could. Drop the Animus bullshit. Remake Odyssey with vikings. Bam. We're Norse now, bro.

Yeah, but just remove the whole 'Assassins Creed' association entirely. I think the concept of Viking Game alone is popular enough without lumbering it with being part of a tired franchise (I bounced off around AC Unity and haven't felt the use to return since). The success of shows like 'Vikings' and 'The Last Kingdom' have demonstrated that there's a market for Norsemen Shenanigans.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

Yeah, but just remove the whole 'Assassins Creed' association entirely. I think the concept of Viking Game alone is popular enough without lumbering it with being part of a tired franchise (I bounced off around AC Unity and haven't felt the use to return since). The success of shows like 'Vikings' and 'The Last Kingdom' have demonstrated that there's a market for Norsemen Shenanigans.

Yup. And if they bring in some light Norse mythology (not talking giant wolves here or anything: more folktales and local legends) they could capitalize on the Witcher's current success.

Kadayi

Banned
Yup. And if they bring in some light Norse mythology (not talking giant wolves here or anything: more folktales and local legends) they could capitalize on the Witcher's current success.

Exactly, plus there's a tonne of source material to draw from like the Icelandic Sagas & the Prose Edda

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Follow me on this: you don't have to do it. You're complaining about something completely optional. You're asking to remove stuff that you can just ignore.

That's not a problem, that's you being silly. You're like a guy who doesn't like climbing mountains finding a mountain and choosing to climb it instead of walking around it, then stopping half-way up and exclaiming "fuck mountains, they don't respect my time!", and now you're lobbying to remove mountains. Dude. You chose to climb that completely avoidable mountain. Every hiker on the mountain is looking at you and wondering if you're stupid, stubborn or both. Just ignore the fucking mountain and stop trying to ruin it for everyone else.

If the devs took your time for granted then the optional stuff wouldn't be optional.

Lol, yes, because every time I think somethink is shit I still endure it because I'm too dumb to realize I can put it down.

Edit: Fucking hell, am I the only one having Gaf issues today? Just chose to publish what I was saying while I was writing.

Anyways. I used to really like AC, but I do not like the bloat. It's gotten too big, too much stuff, and why is it too much? Because it's not fun. It's garbage filler content, and tons of grindy shit. It's not fun, at all. If it was fun I wouldn't complain. You don't really seem to understand my point here. This is not complaining about jumping in a Mario game, that would be silly. My complaint is basically the one I had with Dragon Age: Inquisition. Huge world with nothing fun to do. What good is size if it's just boring?

If you find it fun, good for you. But it doesn't delegitimize other people's complaints. I want smaller worlds with more thought out content.

Outside of that, I'd love the viking setting. It's been really fun seeing my cultural heritage getting more traction. But I'd want it all, both local myths and the giant wolf. Give me the whole norse package, but wrapped up in a way that makes sense. Take the old stories and make them fit into the world in a beliveable sense. Ideally, that would be in a way where you kind of always feel the presence of the supernatural, but rarely see it, imo

Last edited by a moderator:

Lanrutcon

Lol, yes, because every time I think somethink is shit I still endure it because I'm too dumb to realize I can put it down.

Hey, I wasn't going to say anything but I applaud your honesty.

Fucking hell man, you can’t get out much if you automatically assume people are that dense.

You're right, people can't possi...

Stop making an issue where there is one.

...I rest my case.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, I wasn't going to say anything but I applaud your honesty.

Yes, you're very snarky, and super witty, but you're also clearly just looking for someone to fight, something I'm not gonna waste my time on.

PS- are you sitting here hitting refresh or something? My post got posted while I was typing, and I edited out the two bottom sentences within seconds, so kudos, you're fast.

Last edited by a moderator:

Caffeine

vikings are dope, a nice setting change from that greek-roman period. I worry about more ship combat though i've kinda had enough of it.

Kadayi

Banned
The franchise name gets much of the sales unfortunately. Introducing a new IP and having it as successful is difficult.

Ubisoft has a pretty good record on the whole with these things, and as I said earlier Vikings are a dope subject people like (same as Samurai). The idea that they need 'AC' tacked onto it in order to sell 'play as a badass Viking' to the public is BS that just doesn't hold up to scrutiny. If a game is good, it will generally sell based on positive word of mouth.

Last edited:

iorek21

Assassin's Creed is slowly dying with its new obsession with mythologies .

Well, as long as they manage to make it with compelling characters, story and quest, okay. But it's more than proven that Ubisoft is incapable of writing anything with quality, let alone design good quests.

Lanrutcon

Yes, you're very snarky, and super witty, but you're also clearly just looking for someone to fight, something I'm not gonna waste my time on.

PS- are you sitting here hitting refresh or something? My post got posted while I was typing, and I edited out the two bottom sentences within seconds, so kudos, you're fast.

It was too good of opportunity to resist, I'll admit. "Stop making an issue where there is one"? I mean, come on. You'd have done the same. Don't judge me.

Snark aside, I think you're still missing my point. If UBI include stuff you don't like and I do, but make it optional, you can ignore it and I can do it. The current situation caters to both crowds. It's the only reasonable thing to do. The only people it does not cater to, are the ones who go "if I don't like it then I don't even want it to exist, optional or not. Screw everyone." That's not reasonable, that's not a legitimate complaint. That's spite.

Now if you're not in that camp, then I've got you wrong and this conversation is pointless. Maybe you just played through all 100+ hours of Odyssey and you didn't find any "thought out content". At that point I don't think you have much hope for any Ubi game to meet your standards.

The franchise name gets much of the sales unfortunately. Introducing a new IP and having it as successful is difficult.

I got it. We call it Tom Clancy's Vikings: For Breaklands. Elite vikings with guns go to Bolivia to stop an invasion by a multicultural force of medieval warriors. And then pillage it. Probably climb some towers.

Last edited:

Stuart360

I never understand when people say a map is too big, or there is too much content etc, the more the better for me, you dont have to do that content if you dont want to.
Anyway with this one being a whole new setting, and being the first cross gen version, they wont be able to recycle assets so the map size and content probably wont be as big as Origins or Odyssey.

Zoanoid33

Elden Ring and God of War are going to be far superior viking games. Ubi should of picked something no one else is currently doing better. Ancient China would of been more interesting IMO

Top Bottom