• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*Rumour* Castlevania on Wii confirmation?

Sadist

Well... I got it from the banned site http://www.go********.com, but they gave a link:

The link is here

Product Synopsis: In the Middle Ages, a group of esteemed alchemists attempted to turn gas into metal in the hopes of infusing spirits into living beings. At the same time, another group of so-called demonic alchemists tried to use these techniques for nefarious ends: to create demons with magical force. But only two mastered the technique, Isaac and Hector, creating deadly monsters that roamed the earth, looking for fresh meat. And where did they create these villainous creatures?

It can only be: Castlevania.

Sell Sheet Keynote: A Gothic Dracula story that takes place in the popular video game universe

Key Selling Points:

• Cross-promoted with the 2008 video game releases, which include games for the Nintendo Wii and DS (Fall 2008) • Aggressive online marketing campaign on TOKYOPOP.com with online property profile page that includes exclusive content and preview • Advertising on popular video game websites as well as promotions and previews on MySpace, Facebook, etc. • Featured manga at San Diego Comic Con (July 2008) • Part of the Ghouling Vampires promotion, which includes a vampire-themed online component • Co-op available • The video game from Konami has been around for more than 20 years with versions for every platform, including Nintendo, PlayStation, XBox, PCs, and the major handhelds; crosspromotions in development • The most recent video game versions include Castlevania: The Dracula X Chornicles (PSP), Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (Nintendo DS), and Castlevania Lament of Innocence (PS2) • Major motion picture scheduled to release 2009

Well... what do you think GAF?

Dascu

It's not Curse of Darkness. Read the article. It basically just confirms Castlevania Wii, that's all.

Yeah, it's for a different game. The DS game is Order of Eclesia, right?

Besides, no amount of waggle could save the shit-buscuit that was Curse of Darkness.

Sadist

Dascu said:
It's not Curse of Darkness. Read the article. It basically just confirms Castlevania Wii, that's all.
Uh, my reading skills... they fail. I will change the thread title.

Dascu

Besides, how the heck could Order of Ecclesia feature Wii connectivity with Curse of Darkness? Two very different time-zones (and IGA said no old characters in OoE).

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It's definitely coming. IGA has been less than coy about it in his reviews. I think it's 2D (and maybe even WiiWare) and the 360/PS3 version is 3d.

i couldn't see it as wiiware unless its an updated port,

for the very reason being i can't see them developing a new castlevania for 10 dollars a pop.

even with reused assets

castle007

Banned
not really a surprise, but what is surprising is that it says the game is coming out this year. But then again, the article says that the CV movie will be released next year.

The DS has 2D Castlevania so i wouldn't mind having a RE4 style Castlevania, although the odds of them managing to pull it off are slim.

Pointer whipping like what ksamedi suggested could bring back a more advanced Super Castlevania 4 style whip swinging levels. They could even have a play on gravity ala Mario Galaxy where you need to whip the ceiling of a rotating room to stay off the floor.

I'd rather see Igarashi & team do 3D RIGHT than see back-to-back 2D Castlevanias, though I suspect I'm in the minority there. Lament of Innocence was a good start, but its downfall was the boring, repetitive scenery.

RagnarokX

farnham said:
where is that shot.. i never saw it
vh69zc.gif

dkeane

Fantastical said:
I've never played a Castlevania game. What would be a logical use of connectivity between the Wii and DS?
Maybe the store that was in the last DS game will be brought to a Wii channel? or a create your own monster. Tons of possibilities.

RagnarokX

Fantastical said:
I've never played a Castlevania game. What would be a logical use of connectivity between the Wii and DS?
Hmmm, perhaps trading unique items, weapons, characters, bosses, or levels between the two?

Metroid Prime had connectivity with Metroid Fusion which unlocked the original Metroid for NES and the Fusion Suit to wear in Metroid Prime.

Ranger X

ksamedi said:
2D Castlevania with pointer whipping.

I sincerely hope they will never do this. This sounds like a real bad idea.

To use the pointer for aiming spells or something would work cool but the god damned whip, you only need a button press and a direction, seriously. It's "as best as it gets" in a 2D game there.

TreIII

Fantastical said:

Depends on the style of the game.

If Wii game is yet another type of "Symphony of the Night" type of game (or "Castle-troid", to some), then it might be a more gimmicky way to trade equipment, magic items and other such stuff between games. Or might be a way to unlock extra characters, quests or other exclusive content that requires you to possess both games.

On the other hand, if Wii game tries to be something quite different, then there might be something a bit different to think about...

jarrod

Banned
I'm starting to think it may have been that XBLA Castlevania Iga talked about before, bumped up to full retail release.

Sort of the opposite of what happened to Bionic Commando Rearmed (started out on PSP, ended up on XBLA/PSN).

rezuth

I would love a RE4 style game where you point with the remote to whip, could make for some great swinging action that even will outdo Bionic Commando.

Ranger X

jarrod said:
I'm starting to think it may have been that XBLA Castlevania Iga talked about before, bumped up to full retail release.

Sort of the opposite of what happened to Bionic Commando Rearmed (started out on PSP, ended up on XBLA/PSN).

Better be a Dracula Curse remake

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I would take a 2D Dawn of Sorrow revisit on the big screen in a heartbeat. NES style Wiimote, only, of course. Pointing could be done for those silly trace-the-spell things too. That would fucking rule!

A 3-D castlevania with tacked-on waggle-whipping, lower-poly models and blurry garbled textures? No thanks.

Cow Mengde said:
I'll give you one very good reason why this game should be 2D. Every 3D game on the Wii so far looks like an abortion. Even Konami, the first people to get normal mapping on the Wii eventually delivered this:

http://www.famitsu.com/game/coming/__icsFiles/artimage/2008/05/13/pc_fc_n_gs/sabaibaru_013.gif

If games like Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3 look like abortions, I hope more Wii developers start stepping up the baby-killin'. I'll agree that the image you linked looks like crap, but plenty of games have proven that Wii is capable of better. Would it look as good as a PS360 game? Hell no. But it shouldn't look horrible enough to have to justify 2D over 3D always.

If games like Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3 look like abortions, I hope more Wii developers start stepping up the baby-killin'. I'll agree that the image you linked looks like crap, but plenty of games have proven that Wii is capable of better. Would it look as good as a PS360 game? Hell no. But it shouldn't look horrible enough to have to justify 2D over 3D always.

Ok, I shouldn't have said every Wii game, but almost every 3rd party game looks like an abortion. I want to remind you that this is KONAMI. The first people to prove the Wii could do normal mapping, and that picture I posted IS A KONAMI game. They seem to go backwards with the graphics. Had they not released those awful LIB screens, I might have more faith in their 3D capabilities.

Ranger X said:
I sincerely hope they will never do this. This sounds like a real bad idea.

To use the pointer for aiming spells or something would work cool but the god damned whip, you only need a button press and a direction, seriously. It's "as best as it gets" in a 2D game there.

I see what you mean, but consider POINTER whipping.
You suggested aiming for spells with the pointer, imagine the same for the whip. You wouldnt have to "waggle" or anything, you would just control the direction with the pointer and press A to whip in that direction.

Distance wouldn't matter with a whip cause it has a set length, but with spells and throwing axes and such you could point a cursor at precisely where you want to target.

Top Bottom