• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Dataminer Uncovers SNES Games For Nintendo Switch Online Service

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Apparently a dataminer discovered information buried in the latest Switch update which suggests that SNES online games are closer than we think.

Also, another person found something to suggest that there may be two more Nintendo Classic consoles on the way. N64 and GB?

according to a dataminer who has sifted through NES Online strings - apparently added in last month's Switch update, there's now evidence Super Nintendo games are planned for the service in the future.

another dataminer who goes by the Twitter handle @OatmealDome - and is known for their findings in Splatoon 2 - claims to have discovered the following information (see below), suggesting there will be two to three more emulators added to the Switch online service at a later date.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...snes_games_for_nintendo_switch_online_service

Last edited:

Ogbert

Good.

It’s pathetic that they’re not already included. I bow to no man in my love of Nintendo, but getting bored of their online service VC bullshit.

It’s not incompetence, they’re just tight bastards.

jdforge

Banned
So frustrating. For me, the NES selection of games are barely playable - I wouldn’t pay for these anymore. It feels like they are ringing every singly penny out of their consumers with this policy.

Akuza89

God I hope this is true.

I've been saying they should do a snes online or just change the NES online to something like "retro online"

Imagine super Mario Kart with online matchmaking. My god...

Fox Mulder

I see theyre still gonna trickle games out a couple at a time... carrot on the sticking folks.

It'll take years to just get what was on the NES and SNES classics. They're adding online, but that's got to be on the emulator really. Sony said it took months to add trophy support to the few PS2 games on the PS4.

xandaca

SNES seems inevitable. It was announced as part of the initial service if I recall, then quietly dialled back to just being NES for whatever reason. Hopefully N64 will come sooner rather than later as well, though I'm not holding my breath. I doubt they'll do Gamecube, as that console is probably the earliest viable candidate for HD remasters. Otherwise, the list of SNES games looks fine, but needs more Mario RPG.

silentstorm

Pop'n Twinbee?

Kinda suprised to see that game on that list, still a good game.

Let's see, interested mostly in Super Metroid, Super Mario World, Twinbee, Demon's Crest, Yoshi's Island, Kirby's games, Mario All-Stars, Super Punch-Out and F-Zero.

The rest i don't care about or have already played and aren't the kind of games i want to replay again when i still have a backlog of games.

Sorry...i just never got into the original Super Mario Kart, i HATE the top-down sections of Contra III(they are not fun and for some reason make me dizzy, God, how i wish Konami had just done simple platformer levels for the entire game) and the Star Fox games are...well, this is really shallow of me, but they look awful, i simply hate the graphics and style of the games.

But hey, still some cool games on the list, and hopefully other games will come out for the service, wouldn't mind seeing Axelay, Chrono Trigger, Pocky & Rocky, Terranigma and quite a few others on the service.

Shaqazooloo

Holy crap! Super Mario All-Stars! I'm hyped! I really only played the 16-bit versions of the Mario Bros games and the 8-bit versions aren't really doing it for me. I need it to be released asap!

Raph64

I kinda wished that they added in EarthBound, as I was willing to give a try. Heard that it was a great game back from the SNES games.

And of course, still no GameCube titles ? C’mon Ninty, give me Pikmin and Super Mario Sunshine and we’ll be good.

Shaqazooloo

I kinda wished that they added in EarthBound, as I was willing to give a try. Heard that it was a great game back from the SNES games.

And of course, still no GameCube titles ? C’mon Ninty, give me Pikmin and Super Mario Sunshine and we’ll be good.
EarthBound is guaranteed to be added sometime down the line. It's a pretty good seller on the Wii U and 3DS virtual console. I can't imagine them not continuing to offer it in their retro games catalog.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

They will release them separately for $60... I fear that is obvious... ;).

juliotendo

It only makes sense for Nintendo to do this. They have such a large catalog of classic games that can be put on this style of service that would be instant success. Imagine using your switch to play classics from n64 or even GameCube for that matter — huge win.

Hotspurr

Banned
They should have done a proper VC store and released everything. It's cool that the retropie project is a thing.

Last edited:
Hoping the N64 Classic thing is true as it is the one Console I have not owned that I would love trying out. :)

Not bothered if this is just for the Switch Online Service either...just means I will buy an Online Sub much later.

Mozza

Good.

It’s pathetic that they’re not already included. I bow to no man in my love of Nintendo, but getting bored of their online service VC bullshit.

It’s not incompetence, they’re just tight bastards.

So $19.99 a year for 29 NES games that were priced at around $4.99 each,and they are adding more titles every month,seems reasonable. ;)

Or the age of entitlement gone mad.

Last edited:

Hudo

Super Mario Allstars? Already superior to the SNES Classic Mini!

But for real: Give me Metal Marines and Sanrio World Smash Ball, please!
Lastly, get Square to work on an official translation of Seiken Densetsu 3!

#Phonepunk#

Banned
dats an extremely nice list

love the inclusion of Legend of the Mystical Ninja. one of my favorite rentals from back in the day.

can't wait to see what 2019 brings to NSO

hecatomb

Banned
I'm really hoping that some import games come to the switch, but I doubt it will happen. Snes had some of the best import games.

Terrganigma
Firemen
rockman and forte
yu yu hakusho
dragon ball z hyper dimension
gundam wing endless duel
star ocen

The NeS games for switch are still lacking
No Dragon warrior games
no final fantasy
no adventure island games
Metal storm
Little Samson
Felix the cat
tiny toons
Mario 2, why is it not here?
Contra
no megaman games
battle toads
kirby

Last edited:

Caffeine

it would be nice if they dropped a ton of them this month we are only getting 2 nes games as if the drip feed wasn't bad enough. if they keep drip feeding I for sure won't resubscribe the switch online is pretty awful when it comes to net play.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Progress is progress, but I'm still lightyears away from caring about their online system.

Show me some goodwill by letting me back up my own saves. Then maybe I'll show you some faith and pay for your online system.

Terrganigma
Currently playing through this. One of my all-time favorites.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Nintendo needs to drop a ton of games. This drip feed is too slow. And these aren't games that you spend months with anymore, most can be completed in a few sittings at most. People will burn through the 2 or 3 games they release.

I am not saying put the whole catalogue up there but I think something like 10 games a month (between NES/SNES and maybe GBA) is a lot more resonable than 2 games.

Mr Hyde

The day Nintendo drops SNES is the day I start paying for their service. Until then, hasta la vista baby.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Stunt race fx bitches

One of the best early polygonal racing games ever

I pray the emulation is 1 : 1 but the Smb3 emulation on switch has me very weary. That game runs like total shit

SALMORE

Good news 🤩 i never played most of the games on the list .. begin a Sega fanboy during the days, hopefully Super Castlevania makes it

GreatGreen

Neo Member
The only hypothetical Switch feature I'm ready to be excited about at this point would be custom user folders + the ability to arrange games how you want within them.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Lots of graphical gifches that weren’t in the nes and on better emulators. Go to 1-4. It looks awful

Sorry, Switch and NES Classics (is it worse than on the NES Classics and on Wii Virtual Console?) do not normally get the rep Sony’s PlayStation classic so I did not think a big gun like SMB3 had big emulation issues.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Stunt Race FX fans unite!

d5c01c3c-c457-4ef3-b7nsni.jpeg

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
The only hypothetical Switch feature I'm ready to be excited about at this point would be custom user folders + the ability to arrange games how you want within them.

Took Sony 3 years. In Nintendo time, you're talking 9.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Stunt Race FX fans unite!

d5c01c3c-c457-4ef3-b7nsni.jpeg
Show off.

Took Sony 3 years. In Nintendo time, you're talking 9.
It took Nintendo just over a year to introduce folders for 3DS. So, you are being a bit dramatic there.

In saying that, I’ll never understand why this isn’t an option at launch from all console manufacturers. I mean really, how bloody hard can it be to implement?

Last edited:

DonF

How hard is it, nintendo? The NES is lacking some of its best games, no kirby?Megaman I understand (the megaman collection) but first parties ?? Da fuck...

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
How hard is it, nintendo? The NES is lacking some of its best games, no kirby?Megaman I understand (the megaman collection) but first parties ?? Da fuck...
They dole it out like a dealer to crack addicts. Just enough, but not too much. Gotta keep ‘em alive and coming back.

PSFan

Different publishers. Squaresoft published BoF 1. I assume that is why.

I know that. But I also thought that was only for the SNES cart and all rights had reverted back to Capcom since. I mean, BoF1 is on all the VCs and everything already.

evanft

OMG THERE HAS NEVER BEEN ANY OTHER WAY TO PLAY THESE GAMES ANYWHERE ELSE OMG.

This was a novel feature 10 years ago when they did it on the Wii. Not anymore.

Top Bottom