• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Denuvo causes 30-40% additional CPU usage in Assassin’s Creed: Origins

Let’s start from the beginning. According to the scene group Revolt, Ubisoft has added VMProtect over Denuvo. Our guess is that the French team did this in order to protect its title from pirates. After all, we’ve seen all the latest Denuvo games getting cracked in less than a day. However, and at the time of writing, there is still no crack for Assassin’s Creed Origins.

That’s all good for Ubisoft, however Revolt claimed that this implementation brings a severe CPU performance hit. According to its reports, there is an additional 30-40% CPU performance hit with this new implementation.

Now we don’t know whether this claim is true at all, so take it with a grain of salt. Unfortunately there is no way to test whether Denuvo causes this abnormally high CPU usage in Assassin’s Creed: Origins. And that’s because if and when the game gets cracked, VMProtect and Denuvo will still run in the background. In short, and as with all Denuvo cracks, this will simply bypass the protections tools.

fe501d32f79839be243b167df72a2cfb079a86e96ff713e69f81a106a4717db2.png

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/rumou...additional-cpu-usage-assassins-creed-origins/

MultiCore

This is one of the top complaints about Denuvo, but it's been denied every time it's been brought up.

I'd be curious to see if he's able to bring forth any damning evidence.

Likewise, I wonder if customers will care.

I bought Doom before it was removed, the game was just so good. I'm sure this story will continue for quite a while.

Does the game use all cores or is it single core count? Would be interesting to see if 6-8 core take a deeper hit than 4 core cpus with higher clocks!

If a crack can't prevent the thing from running, does it mean it is in the game's code or some shit?

Fuck Denuvo, fuck publishers that punish customers instead of adding value to their product in order to ensure legal copies are bought.

Fuck glad I got it on PS4. That's ridiculous 😂

Hopefully wolfenstien II isn't using that crap I'm grabbing it in a few weeks for PC o_o

Woo-Fu

Banned
Why does the topic say Denuvo when it is most likely VMProtect causing the overhead? Oh right, because somebody has an agenda that is easier to push with the DRM buzzword people are more familiar with. That's assuming this is true and not just one person making invalid assumptions, like every other performance claim vs. Denuvo.

Why does the topic say Denuvo when it is most likely VMProtect causing the overhead? Oh right, because somebody has an agenda that is easier to push with the DRM buzzword people are more familiar with. That's assuming this is true and not just one person making invalid assumptions, like every other performance claim vs. Denuvo.

Denovo employee ^

Woo-Fu

Banned
Denovo employee ^

^Another idiot making assumptions.

There isn't any reason for Denuvo to sway public opinion, the public aren't making the decisions, other than by continuing to buy software with DRM regardless of whatever negative impact inclusion of DRM has.

If SecurROM didn't cause an uprising, I doubt anything will. Denuvo is rather tame in comparison.

Calm down guys don't jump to con-OOOH UBISOFT

So tired of hearing this

Ubisoft has some of the best output of any publisher in the last five years

Stop parroting shit you don’t even care about

And until I see hard evidence that Denuvo does anything toward performance I’m going to ignore it

I think I remember reading on Reddit awhile ago that Denuvo used to use VMProtect as part of it's obfuscation system but got into a row with VMProtect over licensing fees and Denuvo removed it from the next iteration which wasn't as secure against pirates.

So I'd imagine Ubisoft seen how quickly recent Denuvo games where being cracked and put 2 and 2 together and thought they'd attempt to replicate the older effective security mix that older variants had by utilizing both Denuvo+VMProtect but obviously it's not such an easy task for Ubi to make two security programs work nicely together if you don't have a complete understanding of the software like the Denuvo devs do which probably explains the poor CPU performance (although Ubisoft games normally stress CPU's pretty hard anyway because of the way their engine works).

WaterAstro

Well, it's like back in the days where Ubisoft DRM needed to do constant online checks to see if the game is pirated. Pretty annoying.

zoobzone

It's the AMD/Intel's agenda to push multithreading and high CPU consumption thus they employed Ubisoft to use the new denuvo. Because how else are you going to be mega-tasking? /s

Can't wait to see the cracked versus not cracked benchmarks.

There's more than enough legitimate criticism of Denuvo to condemn it for without resorting to misinformation at this point. Poor performance is just taking the piss at this point.

Ubisoft can fuck themselves for using something that is completely useless after the first 24-48 hours at best and a ticking time bomb in the worst case scenario.

Alexious

Beside the fact that these are mere allegations for now with no evidence, the fact remains that this is a good port. Its high CPU usage can be easily explained with the huge open world filled with dynamic AI.

I'm not even sure why you would care about high CPU usage as long as the frame rate is fine, really, which it is with the exception of AMD cards - but that's a GPU issue and one likely related to poor driver optimization on AMD's part.

Neizel

Beside the fact that these are mere allegations for now with no evidence, the fact remains that this is a good port. Its high CPU usage can be easily explained with the huge open world filled with dynamic AI.

I'm not even sure why you would care about high CPU usage as long as the frame rate is fine, really, which it is with the exception of AMD cards - but that's a GPU issue and one likely related to poor driver optimization on AMD's part.

You think is normal to have at 90-95% of a 7700K at 4.7ghz with all 4 cores and 8 threads to get framerates dropping to 50s when in consoles you have 5 cores at 1/3 of the speed and 50% less IPC getting 30 stable? (we know the drops are GPU related)

And yes, people with high refresh rate displays really care about this.

Oh look, a game that hasn't been cracked yet, so the next thing to do is claim it's being slowed down by the protection. Never heard this one before...

This is one of the top complaints about Denuvo, but it's been denied every time it's been brought up.

I'd be curious to see if he's able to bring forth any damning evidence.

Likewise, I wonder if customers will care.

I bought Doom before it was removed, the game was just so good. I'm sure this story will continue for quite a while.

This implementation is different to all those others tho.

Also this is kind of a non-trival spike in CPU usage. People who might be CPU bound are definitely going to care.

Doom was very frugal I thought with its requirements. Only major downside was the internet verification part of Denuvo.

dr_rus

So he can't trace anything but he can say for sure that it's 30-40% of CPU (whole CPU? which CPU?) usage?

Honestly, these allegations from people who want to get games for free is becoming a little silly at this point. Let me remind all of you that so far we have ZERO proof that Denuvo or VMProtect is causing any performance issues.

Top Bottom